Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

No time for boredom Skull' - only 90 shopping days until xmas.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@Skull- the action was too fast for me, it all sort of blurred into one thing mostly. But yeah, good stunts. The flying guy was good too.
For some reason I don't much like Scarlet Johansen though… I really wish they'd choose another actor for her role. It's probably just that she's in too many things, but I also think she's a bit blank and wooden, like Keanu Reeves or Ryan Gosling or Vin Deisel etc. Why does Hollywood LOVE actors with one expression and tone of voice?
Even Schwarzenegger acts better than that bunch. I'm not joking.

I saw rewatched Ghostworld a few weeks ago, with a younger Scarlet Joh. Her acting skills have barely matured… I think she can do a slightly sexier voice now to go with all the makeup she wears these days.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Don't watch Scarlet Johanson is comic book sci-fi thingees. No one expects you to act in them. Look at Keanu Reeves. Put him in Matrix and he's fantastic. Anything else and he's a hunk of wood. Show some emotion already! Move an eyebrow at least, show us you're alive Keanu!

See Scarlet in The Prestige or The Other Boleyn Girl where she could actually act as opposed to just appear in a tight outfit, jump around  and heave her bosum.  It's like comparing Halle Berry's performance in Monster's Ball and Catwoman.  Look at Hayley Atwell in Captain America the First Avenger. Just stand there and be British. Then look at her in Pillars of the Earth. She's amazing. But historical mini-series don't pay the bill and comic books do so she's making a career out of playing Peggy Carter.

I can't blame an actor for just showing up and standing there in some CGI extrvaganza. How do you act versus tons of CGI? Even Morton Downey Jr was lost in the Iron Man movies compared to Chaplin. And Gwyneth Paltow was in those movies? huh? I re-weatched Shakespeare in Love and was reminded why she was such a good actress as opposed to piece of window dressing. Stand there and look gorgeous and nag Stark okay? 

Want to be underwhelmed by an otherwise good actor's performance? Watch them in comic book movie. Unless they're a villain and then they have every excuse to chew scenary and have a grand old time like Jack Nicholson in Batman and Gene Hackman in Superman.

Posted at

Scarlett Johansson was great in Lost in Translation where it required a quiet character that was pretty monotone and subtle. Adding that to all other types roles and it just becomes overrated and flat. I think Woody Allen's Match Point was where I stopped watching movies starring her.

==

These questions are for bravo1102:

When building models for the RAF Avro Lancaster, which size is the most realistic to the actual plane detail model. Additionally, which one is not too bulky to the point that it is too large to conveniently move around- 1:144, 1:72, 1:48

Do you have experience with model kits from Revell, Airfix, or Hasegawa, and if so, which brand is the best for the price?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

In b4 Bravo- Personally I would say 1:72 is a good size for detail VS moving the model around if you're talking about big bombers.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Best Lancaster kit for the money the new Airfix in 1/72 scale, next comes the new Revell AG in 1/72. Don't go for the old tools they're from the 1960's and a bit rough and undetailed. (I know because that's what I have in collection plus the very simplified Matchbox kit. Everyone's doing new tools and I bought my kits 10 years ago. :-(

A 1/144th scale Lancaster has about a 6 inch wing-span. A 1/72 has about 14" wingspan and the 1/48 wingspan is about a yard. There is only one 1/48 or 1/144 kit but three 1/72 currently in release. Hasegawa is beautiful and extremely over-priced for what you actually get. The new Airfix and Revell kits replace venerable molds  nearly as old as I am. These new kits have full interiors and nice external details. The Airfix is a bit newer with better detailing and the Lanc B. I/III should be out this year.  The Lanc B.II and Dambuster were released about two years ago.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I have an old dambuster model from years ago still in its box unopened.

I just watched The Disney Atlantis film made back in 2001. It had lots of huge logical errors all over the place, asside from the obvious underwater fantasy stuff, but all in all it was an interesting animated movie.
Most of it was 2d cell animation with some objects and vehicles in 3D the way they do a lot of anime now. There were lots of people killed in the story, which they didn't explicetly show, but hey did show their submarines and vehicles being destroyed, the number of living people decreseing and then people mourning for the dead. It also had an old man waving his dick and balls in the face of the young hero- his genitals were from the viewer's viewing angle but it was clearly shown what was happening, with sound FX and the guy's horrified reaction as the naken man's rob fell open and he started waving his crotch around in front of the guy's face and he did gymnastic exersises.

I don't think they go in for that sort of thing in the 3D Disney films these days… There's probably similar stuff in the pre 2001 movies, I just never notied it I suppose.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I don't recall Bambi having anything like that in it - those arty commies clearly getting their revenge after Uncle Walt was long gone.

Never realised I had tinnitus until I noticed the high pitched whistling that never goes away. How long have I had that I wonder? I suspect all the pop up ads about tinnitus cures had something to do with it.

Posted at

Thank you so much for that! I will put the Airfix 1/72 scale at the top of my list. Yep, I am thinking about buying a kit for my birthday this year. Mainly because a model plane is one of the best decorative art pieces for a minimal setting. It gives off that industrial charm and can be painted in colors that do not throw off the room's color scheme. I have not attempted to assemble a model kit since a 1/100 Gundam in 1998. I am definitely a level 0-1, but instructions should be straight forward.

==

So the latest news this week is a bit morbid. My grandparents just informed me that they have purchased a twelve person grave plot for the family. Well, there is nothing better to feed this existential, quarter-life crisis of mine than by knowing there is a physical plot of dirt allocated for my body sometime in the future. Honestly, I never thought of Southern California as my final resting place. I am much more partial to the midwest.

I have actually put some thought into the whole funeral process before. I even gave an honest thought about getting certified for the funeral planning business because in these tough economic times, death will continue being a constant, making it a recession proof business. Similar to planning a wedding, funeral planning consists of a music playlist, flowers, color scheme. I firmly believe that if people spent the time to plan their own funeral in advance before death, it would make the experience a lot more enjoyable and less somber. I am planning to have a video to say my real last final words, write handwritten letters to all my surviving family members, and even set aside money to cater or treat everyone to a fancy restaurant. I think it would be really awesome to be able to design a custom grave marker. Funeral homes usually have packaged deals with add-on options like a white dove release, bagpipes, or a harp.

The Egyptians had the right idea–use this life to prepare for the afterlife.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

On death-
KOTA from Mailbox rocketship and Errant Aprentace, well his dad has just died. It was very sad…seriously. A real downer.
But, he metioned on Facebook the idea of funky funeral aragnements for himself when HE goes.

What I suggested was playing "Closer" by NIN, and having a bunch of strippers as pall bearers. Wearing high heels, fish net stockings, lingerie…
Why not?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I take a more philosphical approach to the subject. I'll be dead, so it really doesn't matter what happens during the funeral (not like I'm going to be there).  As long as my body is treated with respect and not placed in a refrigerator box, I'm fine.  But I'm immature enought to still believe myself immortal, might have something more thought out when I hit my third decade.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
 I have not attempted to assemble a model kit since a 1/100 Gundam in 1998. I am definitely a level 0-1, but instructions should be straight forward.
Oh they totally will be, and don't shy away from japanese kits if one catches your eye, they are very detailed and label everything in english. (like 'part l2 from sprue B')You should totally build eggplanes.

—————
I brought my moms computer back from a black screen of death. Made me feel like I was a totally cool. I don't get why people struggle with computers. What other thing comes with the tools to fix it installed on it??

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That's a very cute super deformed Valk.
After you MAKE the model, painting and decorating it is the REALLLLY fun part. Very intimidating though.

——-

UGH! You have to be SO careful what sorts of vids you watch now on stupid crappy Google Youtube. I used to get really interesting, fun, cool stuff in my "recomendations" list, but one of the sword guys I follow started posting stuff about his guns- I watched them because I follow the guy and he was sort of interesting.
Without knowing it, soon more and more gun stuff showed up in my reccomendation list… I started following a gun only guy, "Forgotton Weapons", because he's really factual,  knowlegable, and scientific, but without any political crap. He discusses the mechanics and history of the rare weapons he showcases in a really interesting way.

Then my reccomendation list became 100% gun based. All these damn hill-billy, redneck morons talking about "preppin'", and "Obama takin' our gins away frim us!"!
Damn you Google!

That list used to point me to cool stuff… Now I'm havong to binge watch comdey vids and whatever else I can find so it goes back to being useful again.

——

-When using friend's comps I like to watch all the sorts of vids they hate so their the first page they see on Youtube is filled with crap. I never thought I would do that to myself :(

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

The kit is out.
http://www.airfix.com/aircraft/1-72-scale-military-aircraft/avro-lancaster-bi-f-e-biii-1-72.html

A very comprehensive review on Britmodeller.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957540-avro-lancaster-bife-biii-172-airfix/
As for Japanese kits? The English mistranslations are always humorous and I've built plenty of kits without any latin script anywhere on the directions. I even know the Japanese for various colors. Instructions are mostly pictorial and you only need words for painting ( since I paint everything) Eggplanes are awesome and I've seen some regular kits converted into egg planes. With a little imagination caricatures are fun to do. And some kits are only caricatures of the real thing without being "egg" anything. (except egg on the face of the kit manufactuer) Authentic scale kit? Well not exactly that's too long, this is too short and those complex shapes are all off. It's a caricature of the real thing. 

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I decided to update my resume over the weekend. Riddle me this: why did I get a ton of calls from insurance recruiters today when the objective section on my resume states "looking for a job to advance my career in management outside of the insurance industry? " Obviously no one is reading my resume, so what is the point of keeping up with an online one?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Those CGI renders they use on book covers and boxes these days look nowhere near as good as the old style fully painted images they used to use. CG rendered stuff looks too clean and smooth, without the same drama.
Maybe that image is a model that's been painted though? It's too small to tell. In that case I'd applaud them for the effort. It wasn't successful, but having a fully painted up model on the front of the box is a great idea if you do a good job of it. :)

———

I have little inspiraton on the drawing front so I'm ordering some more metal braid for my hussar gear. It's fricken expensive, but a little goes a long way.
I've never been happy with the length of the sleaves on the under jacket (the dolman), and the white part on the cuffs is way too long. So I'm going to try a complicated method of fixing it:
Unpick the white cuffs, cut the lining, stitch in black velvet insersts to lengthen the sleaves, the reatach the cuffs, and use the braid ribbon to cover up all the fixes.
Which should work. The rank on the outfit currently is a Lutenant. WIth the extra strips it'll be a captain.
The over jacket (the pelisse), will stay a lutenant though for a while… The braid is just too expensive now that my bank balance is in recovery mode after the holiday.

Posted at

I am not too knowledgeable about those online resume sites like Monster and indeed because they pick out keywords from the resume for the job. I spend a lot of time deciding on the format, fonts, and overall design of my resume that digital versions pale in comparison. It puts a greater emphasis on the number of hot words found on the page and less on the overall presentation.

Oz, the descriptions you wrote for your imaginary funerals contain so much potential for art inspiration. Someone could even make a webcomic based on that thread alone, call it "Your Funeral" and illustrate all the many ways people wish to be buried.

===

Hooooooly Scheiße! Last night my ENTIRE facebook newsfeed was overrun with babies. Friends I knew in their younger, past lives are now married and having babies. Random dudes who lived on my dorm floor are posting pictures of their babies getting vaccinated. People from my elementary school are taking pictures holding babies at a baby shower. A married couple, whose wedding I attended, is posting photos with their framed ultrasound photos. A girl who used to go to my church is currently on baby number three. Popular girls from school are taking selfie videos waking up next to their babies. I think facebook is trying to tell me something.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

brrr… strange dream..

I dreamt I was talking to a lovely looking woman who showed some interest in me.  Then I'm confronted with her father who is armed with a shotgun.  

He tells me to get away from her… as far as a number of miles.  Then I realize that the number he gave is the entire surface of the Earth.. meaning I can never get that far away.  The father then tells me he's going to exercise the right to defend his daughter, shoves the shotgun into my face…  

and I wake up just as he pulls the trigger.

That's it.  I'm staying away from women.  They could be the death of me.  T_T

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Well at least you don't wake up thashing around in an epic struggle to wrestle the shotgun out of the father's hands, and kicking the wife's sore knee in the process.

In my version also  there would have been a deep discussion whereby I prove to the father that staying that far away from his daughter actually means that he intends me to always be by her side.  And she then promptly vanishes and the father and I spend the rest of the dream trying to find her.  I'm always searching for something I had at the beginning of the dream and then finding I have a pile of useless crap I have to find some way to carry before I leave.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yup Kawaii, the baby barrage…
And the one place where you'd normally bitch about that sort of thing is exactly the place where you CAN'T. T_T

Social media networks are so dull these days.
They used to be full of people talking about interesting things as well as interesting stuff going on in their own lives. But now the posts have narrowed to a few catagories…
Politics, baby pics, pics with quotes on, pics with jokes on them, "inpsirational quote" (fucking kill me now), posts about rape culture, posts about evil police, posts about gun rights, posts about religion/athiesism, people promoting things (I am guilty of this), and sport.
So booring.
I "unfollowed" most of the most booring people who post that sort of stuff, so now there's almost nothing in my feed.

Posting pictures with a quote or joke or something otherwise bloody anoying printed out in text on it should be a crime.
And "inspirational quotes"… man. The practice of using inspirational quote (and pun/joke) posters, calanders, slogan mugs etc has been a reviled in offices for decades as well as widely satirised and joked about as a really stupid, sad, and depressing thing to do, and yet people have revived the practice on social media.
???? O_o
I think Tumblr is where the apocalypse will start.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ah, sorry for being a grumpbum. :P
Booring social networks are a good thing. I'll make me stay away from them and draw more instead. :)

Posted at

Grumpbum? No way. You are being HONEST! My newsfeed also had an onslaught of those horrible self-help images of a combination of a generic sunset/forest/rainbow/waterfall and some overused quotation about heartbreak, getting over a hurdle, and life. At first I thought I had subscribed to some inspirational quote page, but it turned out to be reposts by a friend subscribed to an inspirational quote page. I am not a fan of those that I went through a similar "unfollowing" spree so my newsfeed would be free of spoon-fed positivity.

I would not mind the exact opposite, like a post of an anti-positive image used to conteract the fake-happy ones. I feel like most of the inspirational quotes are used to make the poster look like a carefree, positive individual. But in reality, the personality type of the person who post those types of images could not be further removed from the message they are spreading.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Booring social networks are a good thing.
That's a meaningful pun. Boring social networks full of boors. Mindless shit boring into my brain. Oh yeah.

And then there's the fact that nearly all veteran model-builders are certified right-wingers. Great kits but the politics is right out of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. And all that animal rescue stuff. Yes people are cruel to animals but try posting anything about human cruelty and suddenly you're a hate-monger. 

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Posting pictures with a quote or joke or something otherwise bloody anoying printed out in text on it should be a crime.
And "inspirational quotes"… man. The practice of using inspirational quote (and pun/joke) posters, calanders, slogan mugs etc has been a reviled in offices for decades as well as widely satirised and joked about as a really stupid, sad, and depressing thing to do, and yet people have revived the practice on social media.
???? O_o
I think Tumblr is where the apocalypse will start.
Ugh,amen. Facebook has some of the best toy communities ever so I can deal with the slew of controversial shit people post, but when I had a tumblr it was literally russian roulette with who I clicked the 'follow' button for.
Only thing i really see in toy communities is bitching about hasbro and this image which i find pretty infuriating.

Like, boys actually feel insecure they dont look like he-man? He-man takes up half the boys toy section? He-man hasn't been relevant for a decade and got some direct to subscription toyline that no child can afford. Also he-man has superpowers, barbie is some chick who is like an astronaut fashion designer billionaire.
They're both by mattel though so maybe they should both eat a dick.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.