Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
lothar
lothar
Posted at

I wish we could go back to the system of having the warning page instead of making people log in. That's probably never going to happen with the way the internet has become so prudish.

Posted at

So is that why subpages can't be viewed unless you're logged in?

Like I said, I know for certain that a majority of my readers are going to be outsiders who aren't even on this site, and I'm not too sure that any of them would want to actually register an account just for the sake of being able to view pages that should be able to be viewed regardless of your login status, like an About and Characters pages.

I mean I can at least understand requiring a login for comments - again, as nice as it would be to have guest comments enabled, I can see how requiring a login would reduce unwanted spam and trolling.

Posted at

Suggestions of mine are below.

1. Fix the coding aspect of the site, so I can use square brackets {in my sentences} without having to use code. Each time I would want to use square brackets to use in my sentences, I end up having to use braces ( these two {} ) in order to make my them understandable.

2. Second request would be to add an option to spoiler text or images inside the forums or news posts. Whether you have something to hide, make smaller for length or post something Not Safe For Work, this can be useful that way.

3. I don't happen to have that many suggestions for the content rating system, but it is slightly outdated. Maybe adding "E10+" as a content rating could be enough, so I won't have to only use my content rating system?

Posted at

Here's another suggestion if somebody hasn't already mentioned it, but I think it would also be extremely helpful and beneficial for everybody if comics could show what their current status is, i.e. on-going, on hiatus, complete, etc.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
Here's another suggestion if somebody hasn't already mentioned it, but I think it would also be extremely helpful and beneficial for everybody if comics could show what their current status is, i.e. on-going, on hiatus, complete, etc.
That's the responsibility of the creator who should note the status in the comic description. It's not up to the site, that would mean the admins have to track down the status of every comic when really that's up to individuals who create the comic to take some responsibility for it and an interest in their readers past, present and future.
All that being said a simple check off in the comic overview page would be all that's needed.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
All that being said a simple check off in the comic overview page would be all that's needed.
Yyyeeeaaah, that's basically what I meant.
Well why the hell didn't you say so before I got out my soapbox?
I make a big personal responsibility speech and you just want a button. Don't I look like an idiot now.
Now? Yeah, I always look like an idiot.

If I'm going to take to time to put together extras, really like if they were available to all people who visit the site. I know it's nice to try to get people to join, but folks often can't be bothered. Just like I can't make a whole website for my stuff with all the extras. Barely keeping up with stuff as it is.

Posted at

We desperately need notifications/alerts for whenever comics we're subscribed/favorited are updated, much like we do for comments and replies. I can't speak for anyone else, but in my own case, I don't always check my favorites list, and other times, the only way I know if a comic I've favorited is updated is if I just happen to see it's been updated on the homepage.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
We desperately need notifications/alerts for whenever comics we're subscribed/favorited are updated, much like we do for comments and replies. I can't speak for anyone else, but in my own case, I don't always check my favorites list, and other times, the only way I know if a comic I've favorited is updated is if I just happen to see it's been updated on the homepage.
Agree. Even constantly checking "most recently updated" on my favorites list, it is so easy to miss new pages. Besides new pages are posted all during the day and I have to check back multiple times a day to make sure I don't miss something. And still do.
Then there is the fact that the site membership is global. Sure the site time zone is PST (US west coast time) but people will post their pages according to their time schedule so pages can drop at any time.
Pay attention and over time you can actually figure out people's schedules. But why should I have to do that? Ideally I'd prefer a date and time last updated under the title/avatar of the comic, not necessarily email notifications.

Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Then there is the fact that the site membership is global. Sure the site time zone is PST (US west coast time) but people will post their pages according to their time schedule so pages can drop at any time.
Pay attention and over time you can actually figure out people's schedules. But why should I have to do that? Ideally I'd prefer a date and time last updated under the title/avatar of the comic, not necessarily email notifications.
Yeah, and because it's a known bug/glitch that updates are shown in real time, and that even if you schedule new strips or pages in advance, they won't actually appear in the updates at the scheduled time because it's not a realtime update, I'm finding myself having to stay up until 3am every Wednesday morning in my time zone so I can manually add a new page at that time so my comic will be updated in real time . . . again, I have to say, this is definitely one thing I miss about ComicFury, or even Smack Jeeves.

Posted at

When a few/several months after the site redesign pass, can we have the option to hide our comics from public view and make them link-only?

I have the tendency of not allowing my projects on the front page or to be featured, even on the 'latest updates' section. Unless one of my projects is ambitious enough (it depends if I want it to succeed), I'd rather just put {the links to} my projects myself on my profile or test out my comic first instead of having it show up on the homepage here.

Posted at

ThrisbyDude wrote:
When a few/several months after the site redesign pass, can we have the option to hide our comics from public view and make them link-only?

I have the tendency of not allowing my projects on the front page or to be featured, even on the 'latest updates' section. Unless one of my projects is ambitious enough (it depends if I want it to succeed), I'd rather just put {the links to} my projects myself on my profile or test out my comic first instead of having it show up on the homepage here.

There are definitely manual steps like contacting one of the admins to take down posts that were once featured on the main page. Contacting an admin directly to ask never to be featured. It is even possible to change the comic name and username associated with the comic to one less identifiable on the net.

Posted at

Oh, alright! Thank you! I'll consider doing that someday (soon).

Posted at

Hm… date of last login on profiles perhaps, so you know not to pq someone if they haven't been around for years to check their messages. It could also encourage comments under old comics if someone is not actively creating but you know they occasionally still check in to read comments.

I suppose listing comics read and personal ratings is an option each user could do via third party blogs, it's certainly not a priority but something I love in sites with databases of content. Maybe statistics based on pages marked read and displaying users with similar interests based on comparing likes and / or favorites? It'd make building out a friend and reader base pure joy, not to mention it'd give the "like" feature a useful function for those who click on it but it still wouldn't give away specifics, which I suppose is the aim of anonymous liking.

Unaware if there's a community blogging project as well, but a community blog, even separately and with high criteria for participating could spice things up. (Or maybe not if there were such attempts in the past and it was more of a pain than a reward).

Posted at

ThrisbyDude wrote:
↑ There is a way to check whether or not someone is active.

On the top toolbar (where The Duck logo is) you can type up a member's username in the search bar, {press ENTER,} then click/tap on 'switch to user search'; you can see on the right when a user was last active.
The date and time system here is {slightly } jitterly, in my opinion, but it'll still give you an idea when someone was last active.

Maybe adding "last active" on our bios could be a good start.

Thanks, you learn something every day.

Posted at

Oops, deleted my response! But you're still welcome!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Suggestions from Phil:

H
I was searching for other comics but there something missing I noticed from your advanced search, despite being called advanced, there should be a search comics by year besides searching comics by last month or last week. I want to see what old comics might have been on the site (if they are still there lmao). If you can add this feature then that would be very nice of you!

Other features I want to suggest are dark mode, getting notified for updates via private message or blinking tab, discord server, and maybe a feature for creating our own custom page for organizing and featuring our comics for our own profile pages? I think that would be great too!

Besides comics, I think there should be artwork and maybe games that should be accepted on the site if they are ok with it.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

What if instead of a top ten we had something like 20 spaces and the chance that a comic would show up there was relative to it's popularity?

Not 1 to 1, but more of a percentage chance. Like if the comic is #1 in popularity it has 100% chance of showing up. If it's #2 it's 97% …. Then somewhere down the line around #20 there is a 10% chance. If it's #58 it's like 2% … Maybe there's a cut off around #100 where there's no chance it will show up.

I think this would be good for the comics that are always in the top 100 but never get to top 10. And it would make the site more interesting because it's would change every time you refresh the page.

Posted at

I had no idea there was even a top 100.

Also, here's an idea too . . . suppose to keep space and bandwidth down, if a comic that have only one page, or even no pages at all, and doesn't appear to have been updated in ages, they get pruned unless the creator can prove they intend to start updating again? Because I've come across a number of comics here whose page count is under 5, and haven't been update since like 2009-2011.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
I had no idea there was even a top 100.

Also, here's an idea too . . . suppose to keep space and bandwidth down, if a comic that have only one page, or even no pages at all, and doesn't appear to have been updated in ages, they get pruned unless the creator can prove they intend to start updating again? Because I've come across a number of comics here whose page count is under 5, and haven't been update since like 2009-2011.

I disagree. There's some good stuff in there… Even just a few pages. Maybe don't put it on the front page but make it show up somewhere. I spent a lot of time looking at the random section.

memo333
memo333
Posted at

plz for the love god…ADD A LITTLE YOUTUBE VIDEO NEAR THE COMIC SO you can read WITH MUSIC BACKGROUND!!!

THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING..THE IMMERSION IS INTENSE!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.