Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

May 2015 Fashion Contest: THE FASHIONS OF YORE

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

For this month's theme and the very first competition of VinoMas' DD fashion show, I'll be taking the helm and presiding over a historical fashion contest! From now until the end of May, submit your historical designs to this thread!

I'm tentatively thinking of having two categories in which I'll pick separate winners, providing there are enough entries.

1. History with a twist: take your inspiration from past fashion, and then let your imagination run wild! Want to do a 1950s housewife with a space-age twist? A bikini in the style of an early Soviet military uniform? A combination business suit/ancient Greek toga? Go for it!

2. History, plain and simple (or detailed and complex, if you like): this is where you get to dig out your old history books! Or, you know, Wikipedia. Design something so that your character could be dropped into your chosen era and look right at home. Any place, any time is fair game!

Please feel free to peruse the series of outfits I've done in this thread for inspiration.

I encourage you to name your outfits and to include a little write-up or description. At the very least, note the time and place that your outfit is inspired by! You can submit as many entries as you like, and I'll make up some little trophies for the winners.

Luccia
Luccia
Posted at

This is going to be so much fun! I aim to do better this month than this past month and actually submit something. This time I'm going to challenge myself more and use only the boys, since I used all girls for the free for all. The fellas need some attention, too. 

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Luccia wrote:
This is going to be so much fun! I aim to do better this month than this past month and actually submit something. This time I'm going to challenge myself more and use only the boys, since I used all girls for the free for all. The fellas need some attention, too.
That's a great idea! I need to get around to doing some male outfit designs, too!

VinoMas
VinoMas
Posted at

Really excited for this competition!  Thanks HippieVan for taking it on this month.  Don't forget that you can still send designs to our April and March 2015 forums as well.  The Duck is ongoing.  Looking forward to hearing more about the contest!

Sway
Sway
Posted at

Not sure if I did this right, but here goes!
-
So, I saw that the new fashion design challenge centered around historical fashion. I knew that I wanted to use the historical theme to reflect on social changes in fashion in some way. Rosie The Riveter, as popularized by Norman Rockwell and J. Howard Miller, was popularized during the outbreak of World War II. Though popular culture at the time had favored casting women as subservient, demur housewives, those stereotypes began to weaken as women begin to play major parts in the war effort, both at home and on foreign soil. Rosie The Riveter is a direct commentary on those old stereotypes: she is dressed in a pair of coveralls (clothing most associated with men at the time), and her hair is largely hidden by a large bandanna. In her most famous depiction (created by the aforementioned Miller), Rosie boldly flexes her bicep at the viewer, challenging the very idea of what a traditional femininity is supposed to “look” like. Rosie served as a rallying figure for a wartime nation, and has come to be synonymous with the concept of female empowerment. Even as decades passed, her cry of “We can do it!” has remained enduring.
-
I wanted to create an homage to this new, post-war woman, and decided that the best person to cast in the role would be a super independent, sex-loving, ass-kicking, lunatic superheroine in the role. So, dressed in what is most likely the most clothing that she has ever worn at once in her crimefighting career, is the Harlot - decked out in the finest that a 40's era steel mill has to offer. 
(Please note: I have changed some of the language in my author's notes so as to better clarify my intentions with this piece) 

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Absolutely done correctly! That's awesome, sway - I love that you brought in the historical movement and the modern context and everything!

cresc
cresc
Posted at

Chyler's was a military brat, and her dad was a pilot. Here she wears 1930s aviator gear.

darkace
darkace
Posted at

Here's my entry for the May Fashion Design Challenge.  I'm not really sure if I followed the guidelines right, but here it is.  Her name is Alexa Blaze, a character from my series here on DD called ViXXXen Force.  Here, she is sporting a Soviet Military-inspired bikini.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Ironscarf's Kyoko goes all out for the 70th anniversary of VE-day by donning the 1937 pattern battledress uniform of a Royal Tank Regiment tank commander of the famed 7th Armoured Division "Desert Rats" North West Europe circa 1944.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Pinky goes back to her Russian roots for VE-Day dressing in the uniform of a Soviet Senior Lieutenant tank platoon leader in 1945. It's easy to imagine her in the turret of a IS-2 heavy tank.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

To complete the unoffical VE Day 70th Anniversary salute here is Sway's character Lizzie Walker as a U.S. Tank commander staff sergeant of the 2nd Armored Division.  The expression and girl-next-door look just screamed out G.I. She just knocked out a Kraut Tiger so she's showing off that US Army khaki issue bra with a sly expression and enjoying a Camel. 

Sway
Sway
Posted at

Uh, holy crap, Bravo1102! Those are all awesome! And wow, what an honor that you decided to use Lizzie in your designs. For real! I absolutely love it! Fantastic!

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Wow, these are all looking great!

Since a couple people have said that they weren't sure if they were following the guidelines, I figured I'd clarify a bit.

If you're going for category 1 (history with a twist), your goals are creativity and aesthetic appeal. Your design can take any form you want - the only requirement is that it be inspired by history in some way (and that you tell me a little bit about that inspiration, so I know what you were going for).

If you're going for category 2, your goal is historical accuracy. Appeal to my taste for pedantry! The characters themselves don't necessarily have to make sense for the time/place you've dropped them in (e.g. in terms of race, gender, hair colour, species), but their outfit should be as accurate as possible to your chosen theme.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Thanks everyone.
For the bicentennial Napoleon's Hundred Days and the Battle of Waterloo I'm planning on doing somethng more ambitious. I found my tracing paper, printed out a bunch of the dolls and hopefully will start tracing on them some of the fashions of 1815.  

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Thanks everyone.
For the bicentennial Napoleon's Hundred Days and the Battle of Waterloo I'm planning on doing somethng more ambitious. I found my tracing paper, printed out a bunch of the dolls and hopefully will start tracing on them some of the fashions of 1815.
Oh man, pretty excited to see those! Tip for contestants: Napoleon is a good way to win the judge's heart. (Also Russian/Russian-inspired garb.)

VinoMas
VinoMas
Posted at

I'd like #travmoworldmodelz to be excused from competing in this competition since this not really an individual entry, but I definitely wanted to support Hippie Van's terrific May theme of THE FASHIONS OF YORE contest!
This was a book I did years ago after studying a Fashion History book.  These iconic designs that I did not create, but I did choose my own colors for the looks.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I love coloring books of fashions and all were so lovingly drawn.  Nice work and great attention to fashion detail.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

If this offends I will take it down. It is Princess January as an SS panzer battalion commander.  The colors and uniform fit my concept of her. Sometimes she wants to wear black with bright silver accessories mixed with a little really cool camouflage.  Everything is authentic except the color of the piping which may not have bene the exact pink to match her hair, but it was pink.
3rd SS Panzer division was "Totenkopf" or Death's head hense the skull on the collar as opposed to SS runes. She stands on the fender of a Panzer IV tank.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

Kimber Lee Ascendent!!
This isn't real history - rather, fantasy history; I like to imagine this as something a Ancient Greek Heroine might wear.  We're all guilty of fantasy history.  The way we picture folks in the Old West, the Victorian era… we like to mythologize it all a bit… and even though I love real history, I'm good with that!
By the way, Kimber Lee will eventually really appear dressed like this in the Godstrain…!  Trust me - it will make sense (I think…)

Luccia
Luccia
Posted at

You guys are really dishing out some amazing designs! 

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Kimber Lee the Amazon Princess!  I can just see her taking on Xena or maybe the gladiators from Lucy Lawless' later series.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Kimber Lee the Amazon Princess!  I can just see her taking on Xena or maybe the gladiators from Lucy Lawless' later series.
I always liked Xena and Gabrielle!  By later series you mean the Spartacus series I'm sure - those were incredible!!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.