Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DD will be shut down for a few hours on Tuesday, Feb 2!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Drunk Duck will be hut down for a few hours on Tuesday starting at 12am PST so changes can be made to the full site, inluding adding comic stats, fixing comic image links so you can add new ones, it will be easier to post stuff in the forums without it being mangled too. 
There may be some other changes I can't remember it all right now, but stats and the forums are the big ones.

Please contribute to our fundraising so we can add more fixes and changes! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/drunk-duck-webcomics-improvement-drive/x/4410947#/

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

Nice!!  This is really big!!  Thank you guys for all this!!

Posted at

That's awesome news, I can't wait to see the changes!!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Groundhog day… will the duck see his shadow?

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Wooo good luck I hope everything goes smoothly!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The site is updated now.
Stats are LIVE- they only updates once a day though to save load on the server. You'll have to wait till 5am PST.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Comic link adding with images WORKS, as does forum posting.

4 line breaks with no spaces. YAY! -adding extra spaces does not work though.
I'm assured that PQ notifications will be coming.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:

Whoa, and we get a preview button now? Awesome!

I just noticed, though, that "quote" is misspelled as "qoute" in the second instance when you quote something.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

HippieVan wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

I just noticed, though, that "quote" is misspelled as "qoute" in the second instance when you quote something.

Hey, and double quoting! Look at that!

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

HippieVan wrote:
HippieVan wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

Hey, and double quoting! Look at that!

Triple quoting? Now I'm just getting greedy.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Alexey did a great job!
Hahaha, he spells like me :)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

PQ notifications have been added!

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

I've been sidelined for ages and I can't Believe the day I finally look in is the same day PQs are working again!

Wow!!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good to see you back Ayes! Stay! :D

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Thanks, Oz!

Prototype
Prototype
Posted at

I like the new additions of stats and forum improvements, BUT…

I'm not a fan of the new 1MB limit for pages, it's not an improvement, and judging from the bug topic I'm not the only one being concerned by this. Most save their pages in PNG and that makes the files a bit over 1MB but it keeps all the right colors and quality of the pages, and they look as they should.

JPG compress the pages way too much, with lots of artefacts, and that's not a whole lot of fun to upload. I'm not sure forcing users to lessen the quality of their artwork on a site dedicated to artwork is a good way to go. :/

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Prototype wrote:
I like the new additions of stats and forum improvements, BUT…

I'm not a fan of the new 1MB limit for pages, it's not an improvement, and judging from the bug topic I'm not the only one being concerned by this. Most save their pages in PNG and that makes the files a bit over 1MB but it keeps all the right colors and quality of the pages, and they look as they should.

JPG compress the pages way too much, with lots of artefacts, and that's not a whole lot of fun to upload. I'm not sure forcing users to lessen the quality of their artwork on a site dedicated to artwork is a good way to go. :/
My understanding is that this isn't actually a new limit, it's a limit that was always there but wasn't working right because of bugs. It's there because running the site costs money and bandwidth is expensive - but I believe Ozone and co are currently looking into whether they can get away with setting a higher limit.

Just to raise the question: If it came down to it, is a significantly higher image filesize something you'd be willing to pay for? There's only so much the Duck can afford to give away for free but premium membership may well be an option. (Note that I'm not speaking in any sort of official capacity here - it's just an idea).

BTW, have you had a play with the different levels of compression on JPG? JPGs are a lot better on the higher quality settings and still smaller than PNG.

P.S. If we're going to keep this thread, someone should probably modify the subject to include the date so people don't think it's the upcoming tuesday. :)

P.P.S. I'm not sure where the official bug reporting thread is, but:
1. Can we please fix that bug that defaults the closing quote tag to /qoute rather than /quote?
2. Editing posts as BB code rather than WYSIWYG is fine, but if we don't have WYSIWYG now is there any chance of a 'preview' button so we can see what messages look like before we post?

Thanks. :)

Prototype
Prototype
Posted at

My understanding is that this isn't actually a new limit, it's a limit that was always there but wasn't working right because of bugs.
Yeah, I got that feeling, which makes me think that it's a really old limit that isn't in phase with how the internet is today. 1MB is too small for art files. Double it to 2MB and it should be ok for most.

Just to raise the question: If it came down to it, is a significantly higher image filesize something you'd be willing to pay for?

Hmmm. Not sure. Having to pay to upload high quality pages that other artwork sites already provide is gonna feel sketchy. I love Drunk Duck though, so it would depend on how it unfolded.

]BTW, have you had a play with the different levels of compression on JPG? JPGs are a lot better on the higher quality settings and still smaller than PNG.

Having the setting at max/12 still gets the files over 1MB for me. For the recent page I had to lower the quality to 10. It's not like the change is extremely noticeable for the casual reader, but for me it hurts to see the pages get slightly washed out and get a bunch of artefacts when I have uploaded with the crisp PNG for so long.

Naturally, artists want to show their pages in as hight quality as possible.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

P.S. If we're going to keep this thread, someone should probably modify the subject to include the date so people don't think it's the upcoming tuesday. :)

Done!

P.P.S. I'm not sure where the official bug reporting thread is, but:
1. Can we please fix that bug that defaults the closing quote tag to /qoute rather than /quote?

Agreed…that shouldn't be too tricky of a change. Hopefully oz has told Alexey about it.

2. Editing posts as BB code rather than WYSIWYG is fine, but if we don't have WYSIWYG now is there any chance of a 'preview' button so we can see what messages look like before we post?

You're in luck, because there IS a preview button now! It's the green checkmark button on the right.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Prototype wrote:
My understanding is that this isn't actually a new limit, it's a limit that was always there but wasn't working right because of bugs.
Yeah, I got that feeling, which makes me think that it's a really old limit that isn't in phase with how the internet is today. 1MB is too small for art files. Double it to 2MB and it should be ok for most.

Just to raise the question: If it came down to it, is a significantly higher image filesize something you'd be willing to pay for?

Hmmm. Not sure. Having to pay to upload high quality pages that other artwork sites already provide is gonna feel sketchy. I love Drunk Duck though, so it would depend on how it unfolded.

Irrevenant is correct here about it being an old limit that just wasn't working.

Just wanted to say for posterity that this isn't something we've talked about at all. If we were ever to add something like premium memberships (or make any drastic change for that matter) it would involve lots of discussions with the community.

]BTW, have you had a play with the different levels of compression on JPG? JPGs are a lot better on the higher quality settings and still smaller than PNG.

Having the setting at max/12 still gets the files over 1MB for me. For the recent page I had to lower the quality to 10. It's not like the change is extremely noticeable for the casual reader, but for me it hurts to see the pages get slightly washed out and get a bunch of artefacts when I have uploaded with the crisp PNG for so long.

Naturally, artists want to show their pages in as hight quality as possible.

What size do you generally find your pages to be? (i.e. what do you think would be a reasonable limit, hypothetically?)

Also, I found this website that allows you to compress .png files: https://tinypng.com/. Unfortunately it doesn't let you choose the compression %, but I'm sure there are others that do. I just tested it out and it was able to take a 1.4 mb png image down to less than 1 mb.

Prototype
Prototype
Posted at

What size do you generally find your pages to be? (i.e. what do you think would be a reasonable limit, hypothetically?)

My pages usually end up at 1,3 MB. I checked one of El Cids pages and they seem to go at around 1,2MB. Genejokes pages are around 1,5MB.

Charby uses PNG also but gets just under the 1MB limit due to the pages only being 700 width.

Also, I found this website that allows you to compress .png files: https://tinypng.com/.
Tried it out, but it went crazy with the page as it looked like a gif after being compressed. Lots of visible pixels and lost colors unfortunately. :(

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Prototype wrote:

My pages usually end up at 1,3 MB. I checked one of El Cids pages and they seem to go at around 1,2MB. Genejokes pages are around 1,5MB.

Charby uses PNG also but gets just under the 1MB limit due to the pages only being 700 width.

Also, I found this website that allows you to compress .png files: https://tinypng.com/.
Tried it out, but it went crazy with the page as it looked like a gif after being compressed. Lots of visible pixels and lost colors unfortunately. :(

Ah, too bad. It did pretty good with my test image.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

HippieVan wrote:
Irrevenant is correct here about it being an old limit that just wasn't working.

Just wanted to say for posterity that this isn't something we've talked about at all. If we were ever to add something like premium memberships (or make any drastic change for that matter) it would involve lots of discussions with the community.
Yeah. Purely just me thinking aloud. Sorry if I gave any other impression

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

irrevenant wrote:
HippieVan wrote:

Yeah. Purely just me thinking aloud. Sorry if I gave any other impression

No no, it's totally cool to throw out any kind of idea. :) I just figured I should comment.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.