Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Well I broke my fast on Facebook and responded to things - I had to go on there because I had to repost the Quackcast stuff.
And now I've done that, I'm putting it to bed again.

That really is the best way. When you come back and respond to debates you do it with a clear head, you're not stuck in the heat of the moment, missing obvious things and being drawn into silly spats over trivial quibbles.

—————

Right now I'm trying SOOOOOO VERY hard to simplify the look of the art in the latest Pinky TA page, ad it is way harder than going for a really complex look. But it seems to be working…

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I signed up for a foreign language pen pal site so I can work on practice my Russian, and it's been eating up all my online time and making me neglect you guys! At first I was trying to respond to everyone but I just get way too many messages. I think there are just a lot more Russians trying to learn English than vice-versa. I've found a handful of people to chat with now though, which is really neat. :) Next step is to try to work up my courage to do some video chatting.

yegiyay
yegiyay
Posted at

Hey im djyegi ive been making comics for awhile im releasing the first issue of holopiont on here soon check out my instagram @yegiyay for updates also im making a music track for each act/chapter so you can listen and read all full tracks are on my youtube channel yegi yay please support by staying tuned thanks

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Still waiting for my new sword… :( The guy was apparently in a car accident or something and hasn't sent it yet. ugh!

Fair enough, serious things like that get in the way. But when you sell something that expensive to someone you normally make sure to update them on things.
His wife got back to me after I asked what the progress was because I'd heard nothing since I paid.

I don't think they're up to anything dodgy but nothing surprises me these days.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Still waiting for my new sword… :( The guy was apparently in a car accident or something and hasn't sent it yet. ugh!

Fair enough, serious things like that get in the way. But when you sell something that expensive to someone you normally make sure to update them on things.
His wife got back to me after I asked what the progress was because I'd heard nothing since I paid.

I don't think they're up to anything dodgy but nothing surprises me these days.
He was so happy he'd sold the sword, he went out, tied one on and got into a car accident. And now the free money he thought he could blow on booze and women will go to fix the car and pay a hospital bill. Life is like that.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Exactly!
And I paid extra for him to ship it fast… Which doesn't really work if the guy takes two weeks to get around to actually shipping the damn thing.

I see bad feedback for this guy on the cards unless they give me some good reasons.
I sincerely hope the man is ok, but all his wife has said was "He spent some time in the hospital due to an accident."
So… What's he doing now? Is he ok? Is he off on holiday? Is he too ill to type some words to the person who handed over a whole bunch of cash to him?

Posted at

I hope he did not trip and fall on your sword after he did the dance of joy when you won his ebay auction.

Banes
Banes
Posted at

Sorry to hear that, Oz - yeah, hopefully the guy's alright, but that is annoyingly bad timing.

Imagine if you received the sword and it had traces of blood and bone on it? Or if they were unable to remove the guy's liver from the blade?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ewwwwww… You're so gross!
Swords aren't for getting blood and body bits on! They're for showing off and telling everyone how much they're worth XD

Apparently he was in a small accident with another car and had a short hospital stay. He's ok now though and fortunately he's Canadian so he really IS all right now Hahaha!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Ewwwwww… You're so gross!
Swords aren't for getting blood and body bits on! They're for showing off and telling everyone how much they're worth XD

Apparently he was in a small accident with another car and had a short hospital stay. He's ok now though and fortunately he's Canadian so he really IS all right now Hahaha!
The US health care system is the best in the world, once you get done fighting with your insurance carrier to cover required treatment. If I lived in Canada I would still be waiting on a date for my cataract surgery rather than fighting with my insurance to pay for the treatment I already had. I would rather get the treatment so I can fight with the insurance with that done than waiting for surgery and not fighting. I'm a masochist.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Oh you can usually get healthcare right away even in social systems like Australia and Canada. It costs extra because you have to go private, but it's nowhere NEAR as much as in the US. And it's top notch.

I don't think anywhere has "the best in the world", just healthcare that's more or less accessible to the people that need it.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Oh you can usually get healthcare right away even in social systems like Australia and Canada. It costs extra because you have to go private, but it's nowhere NEAR as much as in the US. And it's top notch.

I don't think anywhere has "the best in the world", just healthcare that's more or less accessible to the people that need it.

I was being facetious. That "best in the world" statement is a dig at right-wing political pundits who can pay out of pocket for $10,000 health care procedures.

And that's why I'm working on a fantasy comic now. Ugh. I don't want to think about it I could tell you horror stories. My sister has authored legislation for insurance and healthcare reform as well as lobbied government . I know too much.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I can't speak for the rest of the world but I can tell you how justifiably proud we Brits are of our NHS. We may have to wait for days on a trolley in a corridor, but it's a freshly painted corridor and the trolley doesn't usually squeak.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

And I am in the loving arms of the American health care system once more. I went to the ophthalmologist to check out my retina and it turns out I have two tears and a hole . And I need emergency surgery. So I spent all day getting all the pre-op testing and authorization and will go under the knife tomorrow.

And now I remember how much I hate starting a new comic. Five pages and it's already worn out its welcome.

lba
lba
Posted at

Nah. I was thinking of Kiva. Kiva used to offer returns on their loans, just like Zidisha and most of the other microloan platforms did when they were relatively new. Apparently at some point during the last couple years they did away with that and turned it into what it is now, which basically amounts to interest free loans for banks so they can keep all the interest they charge the end customer. I just hadn't actually checked the site in a good while.

HippieVan wrote:
lba wrote:
I also just recently had a mildly insane idea I got from PWOT ( the Cracked forums.).

The Duck needs money right? Supposing that if everyone who is a regular on the site chipped in a few bucks and set up a DD Kiva account? It takes quite literally $25 to help fund a single loan so it's not a high barrier to entry, and it helps other people throughout the world, all while earning a small revenue stream for the duck. You'd have to work out who is going to manage the account and pick which loans to give to, but for $500, which is nothing in terms of starting capital, a group effort could potentially pool a decent enough bit of earning capital.

Plus, I've come to learn over the last few years that putting out a bit of goodwill to others has a decidedly karmic effect.

Could you be thinking of a different site with a similar premise? I don't see how money could be earned through Kiva.

From their site:
"Do Kiva and/or Kiva lenders receive interest on Kiva loans?
Kiva never collects interest on loans and individual Kiva lenders do not receive interest from loans they support on Kiva."

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

lba wrote:
Nah. I was thinking of Kiva. Kiva used to offer returns on their loans, just like Zidisha and most of the other microloan platforms did when they were relatively new. Apparently at some point during the last couple years they did away with that and turned it into what it is now, which basically amounts to interest free loans for banks so they can keep all the interest they charge the end customer. I just hadn't actually checked the site in a good while.

HippieVan wrote:
lba wrote:
I also just recently had a mildly insane idea I got from PWOT ( the Cracked forums.).

The Duck needs money right? Supposing that if everyone who is a regular on the site chipped in a few bucks and set up a DD Kiva account? It takes quite literally $25 to help fund a single loan so it's not a high barrier to entry, and it helps other people throughout the world, all while earning a small revenue stream for the duck. You'd have to work out who is going to manage the account and pick which loans to give to, but for $500, which is nothing in terms of starting capital, a group effort could potentially pool a decent enough bit of earning capital.

Plus, I've come to learn over the last few years that putting out a bit of goodwill to others has a decidedly karmic effect.

Could you be thinking of a different site with a similar premise? I don't see how money could be earned through Kiva.

From their site:
"Do Kiva and/or Kiva lenders receive interest on Kiva loans?
Kiva never collects interest on loans and individual Kiva lenders do not receive interest from loans they support on Kiva."

I have no effing idea what you're talking about, but your nick always reminds me of Elba where Napoleon was imprisoned.

moizmad
moizmad
Posted at

Zaptoid56 wrote:
You're not older than me Mo. How did you get these mags? Also..National lampoon…have you read any of them? Beyond their time.

Well Zap old man, Apr 2 I will turn XX, can you believe it? As for the MAD's, most were bot by me brand new on newsstands for 25 cents. I traded for a few of the older ones (my first MAD was #37) and I completed the collection right back to #24 via EBay, or a few vintage comic book stores around town. The first 23 MAD's were 10 cent comic books but the McCarthy era made Wm. Gaines change MAD to a magazine format but he kept the numbering sequence so #24 is the first magazine. I concluded my collection at #74 which was the last Kelly Freas cover, I loved his work. So that's why the odd number of 51 rather than an even 50.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

(I'm surprised Kiva is still around, I remember them plugging for it pre-kickstarter on Hulu/Crackle, I think Bill Clinton was in the ads? I was under the impression it's intended for poverty-stricken areas though…)

OH and youse guys talking about MAD comics! My experience with those was older relatives left a box of comics up at my grandparent's cottage, there were some issues of Magazine from the 70's perhaps, but mostly novel-sized publications of things like Al Jaffee's "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" (though my mom had also copy of Don Martin's "Captain Klutz" at home which I loved!) But for the comics, I hadn't realized that it started off AS comics until I read "The Ten Cent Plague" and the trials of Frederick Werth-less and his kooky crusade against good entertainment. I located a volume of MAD comics at my regular comic shop. (MAD archives, I only got volume 1 though) Glorious, hilarious and fine comic crafting!

As for National Lampoon magazine, well… I looked at one when I was far too young to handle it and thought I'd get in trouble! My parents had them in a box and I looked through them later as a teen, hilarious but a little too much for me in some parts! But ahead of its times is about right, I see a lot of the same things like the unintentionally dirty-sounding signboards collected online in a similar manner. It's too bad the brand is now more associated with really trashy movies thanks to their most recent lackluster output…

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Life has been interesting of late. I'm massively busy helping out family and having started a new relationship and cannot get my head into comicking at the moment. I'm always amazed at people who still fit it in around busy lives. I have the time but I've not been in in a creative place. I load uo the software and stare at the screen not being able to convert the script into artwork.

Banes
Banes
Posted at

GJ I hear ya!

Been stuck on my next pages for weeks now - things have improved in life a bit but I'm having trouble getting this scripted story drawn! Soon, though, it must happen!!

Congrats on the new relationship! Hope it's going well!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Recovery from more eye surgery has put my whole life on hold. To repair two retinal tears and a hole i actually had stitches in my eyeball. Thankfully I am not allowed to look up so I never saw them. I can get up about five minutes every hour and have to have my head totally down. The rest of the time it's lie on my side. And tons of eye drops. So much for restarting my comic.

But youtube has some real good documentary films. Real stuff like National Geographic and Nova and BBC as opposed to Annunaki and ancient aliens. :-D

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I had to laugh at this-
A friend on Facebook described Chiropractic medicine as "non-western".
I had to explain that YES in fact it IS Western (but not medicine), it was developed by a moron in Britain, completely based on bullshit, discredited long ago.
So then she described it as "non-traditional Western medicine".
I didn't have the heart to tell her that it IS traditional. It's the very definition of that. Conventional medicine is based on science, NOT tradition, and it updates all the time. Stuff like chrio is only based on tradition.
(sure, some chiropractors try and modernise it, but at best all it is is non-scientific physio therapy).

Amelius wrote:
OH and youse guys talking about MAD comics!
Mad, along with Asterix and Tin Tin were the comics of my youth. :)
I have a lot of old copies around.
I used to hate the out-of-touch retro characters in "the lighter side" strips, but as I got older I learned to love those the most of all.

—————–

Bravo! Your poor eyeballz!!!! WTF is going on with your face man? ARe you rubbing glass in your eyes or something???

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Recovery from more eye surgery has put my whole life on hold. To repair two retinal tears and a hole i actually had stitches in my eyeball. Thankfully I am not allowed to look up so I never saw them. I can get up about five minutes every hour and have to have my head totally down. The rest of the time it's lie on my side. And tons of eye drops. So much for restarting my comic.

But youtube has some real good documentary films. Real stuff like National Geographic and Nova and BBC as opposed to Annunaki and ancient aliens. :-D

Oh man that so totally sucks!! My eye doctor says I have a retinal tear that he's keeping an eye on (docs and their stupid puns)!!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

It was either immediate surgery or blindness. Don't fool around with retinal tears. I never even saw the sparks or stars just noticed a curtain descending very slowly in the right eye.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.