Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Genejoke wrote:
Well I resisted and have started work on a short story for the anthology, the first two pages are complete.
That's awesome! :D

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Genejoke wrote:
Well I've had my operation and I'm fairly well recovered but I cannot get my head in to anything creative.

I had a similar experience and I'm thinking it could be a side effect of the general anaesthetic? Everything came to a standstill and I could barely motivate myself to pick up a pencil or open a digital file. I'm glad you managed not to trash everything.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
I had a similar experience and I'm thinking it could be a side effect of the general anaesthetic? Everything came to a standstill and I could barely motivate myself to pick up a pencil or open a digital file. I'm glad you managed not to trash everything.
Possibly.
Possibly as simple as the brain suffering a crash after being used to being bathed in happy happy serotonin. :)

That happened to me routinely when I took opiate based painkiller for migraines. It's the reason I hate them so much.

BearinOz
BearinOz
Posted at

That happened to me routinely when I took opiate based painkiller for migraines. It's the reason I hate them so much.
Oh yeah… I get a strong codeine/paracetemol the doc has to ring Canberra for a permission code for. Use them as little as poss' - they just stuff up your whole metabolism….had Sat-Tues on them for hip pain after falling on my slate floor, Friday. Was also on them for a full fortnight a few months ago, for an abcess. They give me nightmares too, quite often (which the 'real poppy juice' never did, in my mildly wayward 'yoof' B-) )

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Ironscarf wrote:
Possibly.
Possibly as simple as the brain suffering a crash after being used to being bathed in happy happy serotonin. :)

Opiate based pain killers… I've been on morphine for a while that could have been a factor as I've been cutting down.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That's exactly what it does:
When you're off it you can get lots of nasty withdrawal symptoms:
Lack of motivation.
Depression.
Ennui.
Irritability.
Short temper.
Tiredness and fatigue.

The depression and lack of motivation can be absolutely crippling for a creative person!

You have to balance all that up against the pain you're using the pills to fight… but the thing is that opiates are bad for chronic or long term pain because they lose their effectiveness and you have to keep on increasing the dose.

In the end it's best just not to take them unless you're desperate- that has 3 benefits:
1. It's cheaper.
2. You avoid the side effects.
3. They keep their effectiveness.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Just had a holiday and while on it I discovered there was a recent mini series updating one of my favourite characters from my childhood. After reading it I wasn't overly impressed, sure there were things to like but over all it was a bit childish for my tastes now. That's more my problem than an issue with the product, tastes change after all. Still it got me wondering how I would have done it and before I knew it I had a solid outline for a fan comic. The problem was that my outline was perhaps too different as it lost some of the key elements that have always been there with the character. A day or two later I thought the idea was solid, so why not make an original comic from it? A few hours later I had a script written, but it was too grounded in reality and didn't lend itself to the tone I was aiming for. A little bit of tweaking and setting it in a more obviously alternate version today I nailed the tone I wanted. So now I have a script for the first story of a potentially ongoing series, and a series document with all manner of characters and plot threads to build upon the question is, will I ever make it? hmmm, dunno.

Banes
Banes
Posted at

that’s awesome, Genejoke! Glad to hear you’ve jumped back into things!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

That's wonderful Genejoke. That's why I came up with the atrocity that's my current comic. I had to do something. Anything to keep myself going.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

That's the spirit, the old creative juices don't ferment in silence indefinitely. Sooner or later lid will blow and a new brew will emerge.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good on you Genejoke!

Does anyone else use Duolingo?
If so, what langaunge are you doing and is it any good for really learning?

I'm doing German, my name is Ozoneocean MJM on there if you want to add me :)

I'd like to think I'm learning and getting better but I'm slightly doubtful.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Good on you Genejoke!

Does anyone else use Duolingo?
If so, what langaunge are you doing and is it any good for really learning?

I'm doing German, my name is Ozoneocean MJM on there if you want to add me :)

I'd like to think I'm learning and getting better but I'm slightly doubtful.

nope. will have to look it up as I need to improve my spanish.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It's pretty good. If you DO try it let me know :)

Anyone got any plans for new years?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.