Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Writing Processing Software

Posted at

Before I start writing and or editing the script of my webcomic, I launch two softwares. One is Google Docs, Celtx (web and the software), and Open Office. I tend to use Celtx the most though.

What about you?

Posted at

I use libre office. It's a cute little program that's free to use.

Then if I need to work on the timeline of my story I use aeon timeline.
Really helps with the scripting/writing and keeping everything organized.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I'm old fashioned. Still use MS word and love my 2007 version so much I refuse to give it up.

I go back to type writers and lots of notebooks full of random ideas. Now I'm up to bullet points that slowly get turned into scripts just of the words and action.

I like to let the images come organically when I turn the script into panels.

Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
I'm old fashioned. Still use MS word and love my 2007 version so much I refuse to give it up.

I go back to type writers and lots of notebooks full of random ideas. Now I'm up to bullet points that slowly get turned into scripts just of the words and action.

I like to let the images come organically when I turn the script into panels.

I actually have a typewriter, unfortunately it broke. :(

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

For my writing projects, I used MS office forever, but on my latest computer I downloaded Open Office instead. It takes up much less space/memory and is free. Basically identical to MS, includes a word processor, spreadsheet, slide show program, and more.

Here's a link if anyone is interested: https://www.openoffice.org/

That said, for my webcomic scripts, I use this:

(Portable, durable, and can use easily in waiting rooms or during breaks at my remote, rather technology-poor, workplace.) Downside is that I misplace loose pages and/or entire notebooks rather frequently, so I end up rewriting a lot. I just call them "drafts."

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I stopped using notebooks except to record ideas when away from a keyboard because I got tired of losing notes. I lost some really pertinent notes that I had really worked on and said never again. (All my Narthatheian language notes)

I religiously transcribe my notes as fast as possible because that little thumbdrive is much easier to read than the hurried scrawl of my handwriting. And I am very protective of my thumbdrive.

I did an entire layout schematic for a comic. I remember it being brilliant. I have no idea now because the handwriting is incomprehensible. So I type everything as soon as possible.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

I use notebook and pen to draw storyboards, though I usually don't need to. As far as typing, I stick with OpenOffice. I also use their Spreadsheet software every now and then for calculating stuff. I had to stop using Google docs as a file backup because I pretty much stuffed it to the limit.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
I stopped using notebooks except to record ideas when away from a keyboard because I got tired of losing notes. I lost some really pertinent notes that I had really worked on and said never again. (All my Narthatheian language notes)

I religiously transcribe my notes as fast as possible because that little thumbdrive is much easier to read than the hurried scrawl of my handwriting. And I am very protective of my thumbdrive.

I did an entire layout schematic for a comic. I remember it being brilliant. I have no idea now because the handwriting is incomprehensible. So I type everything as soon as possible.
I go through phases, but, tbh, I lost files on my computer too. Even when I kept one file and made back-ups, somehow everything got corrupted and I couldn't find recent versions anywhere.

My dog and cat have both eaten large chunks of my scripts in looseleaf form.

Nothing seems to work for me. I think working two+ years in advance is the real issue. An awful lot can be lost in a couple years.

Posted at

Eh, I still got Word from my graduate days. And google docs. I also have open office but I rarely use it.

hushicho
hushicho
Posted at

I recommend LibreOffice over OpenOffice. There are so many reasons from behind the scenes, but in general I feel Libre is superior with its development and standards thus far.

You can get LibreOffice for free at https://www.libreoffice.org/

In any case, anything from a plain text editor to a more complex word processing suite works, as long as it suits your creative flow!

Posted at

hushicho wrote:
I recommend LibreOffice over OpenOffice. There are so many reasons from behind the scenes, but in general I feel Libre is superior with its development and standards thus far.

You can get LibreOffice for free at https://www.libreoffice.org/

In any case, anything from a plain text editor to a more complex word processing suite works, as long as it suits your creative flow!

Have you used Celtx? I heard that's a good program to use. :)

hushicho
hushicho
Posted at

I don't approve of subscription-based things for my creative production, but it's nice there's an option if you want that for a unifying flow cross-platform. It looks very promising and convenient for things all in one place!

Posted at

I tend to use Open Office a lot more and more. I still use Google Docs though to write my overall scripts, but increasingly I have been writing on Open Office.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I mostly use Word 2007 and sometimes Google Docs if I'm on the move. I remember trying Celtx ages ago but didn't stick with it. I also used a thing called Focuswriter which is one of those distraction free writing programs. It actually did help me to focus on writing but then I had a PC issue/crash and it lost most of what I'd written.

Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
I mostly use Word 2007 and sometimes Google Docs if I'm on the move. I remember trying Celtx ages ago but didn't stick with it. I also used a thing called Focuswriter which is one of those distraction free writing programs. It actually did help me to focus on writing but then I had a PC issue/crash and it lost most of what I'd written.

LOL I'm currently using Gogole Docs right now. Been on a writing spree on my scripts though lol. I finished writing the first volume and already finishing up the second volume.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.