Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
GeekyGami
GeekyGami
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
-Practically the benefits of a place like DD is that you get more freedom in everything you do, deeper ties to the history of webcomics, you can be a big fish in a small pond, and you get more say in the site you're hosting on.
Well, like I said, I know DD has a longstanding and solid reputation . . . I remember waaaay back when when I was first looking into a host for my comics, a friend of mine who was already using KeenSpace/ComicGenesis listed that, Smack Jeeves, and DD as possibilities, but he had a specific problem with each of these; with KeenSpace/ComicGenesis, it was how buggy/glitchy the site as a whole had become (actually, they seemed to always have such problem, they were just slow or unresponsive in their efforts to fix them, but with both SJ and DD, his issues were with the domain names: Smack Jeeves, he felt, sounded like a site that promoted violence, while Drunk Duck he felt promoted alcoholism. IIRC, the main reason why I had gone with SJ at the time was because it seemed like we could do more in the way of customizing our how comics' websites looked, and since I was a little more proficient in HTML coding back then as opposed to now, I think that was the main draw for me.

-The disadvantage is that you're on an older site, you'll have less viewers directed at your work from the in-house comic promotion systems because we have a lot less viewers overall, and you'll have less name recognition for our site than you will on Tapas or Webtoon.
That's what's hurting me the most right now about my ban from ComicFury. Granted, again, my comic was still only in reruns at the time (and still will be until mid-October), but unlike Smack Jeeves, where it didn't fit in with their zeitgeist, and therefore nobody even read it, on CF, which clearly has a big and thriving community, it was doing very well for itself with nearly a dozen subscribers, regular comments, and a soild 5-star rating, which was making feel so excited about the future of the comic when its new rebooted season starts in October. No offense, but so far here, I almost feel as though I've stepped into a nearly-deserted ghost town, which has made me feel incredibly crushed and discouraged about what sort of readership and engagement my comic's new season will even have.

I mean for a smalltime Content Creator like me, feedback is a rare, yet precious commodity that's always in short supply. The more corporate and mainstream YouTube has gotten over the years, the less my work on there has been seen and the less feedback I get as a result, so at times, it almost feels like why do I even bother pouring my heart and soul into something new I create when I know hardly anybody is even going to bother looking at it? I really didn't expect to get much attention on CF, but I did, and it's already one of the things I miss the most about them.

While I'm certain I'm much younger than you (possibly) I have a firm belief that you shouldn't be discouraged by radio-silence on a site upon first using it.

My way of doing things recently has been not to put all my eggs in one basket.
I upload on Tapas, I upload on Duck.

I upload on Youtube, I upload on Newgrounds.
I upload on Deviantart, I upload on Newgrounds. (For illustration.)

With Newgrounds, Youtube, and Duck/Tapas, what I've noticed is that the bigger the platform, the greater the saturation, the less likely the abundant amount of attention is going to be directed your way.

I have more activity with this comic on Duck than I do on Tapas, despite Tapas being the bigger platform.

More engagement as well, as little as it is.

I noticed this with Newgrounds and Youtube as well.
More engagement, comments and activity on Newgrounds with less there.

You reach a smaller audience, but it's a more active, less passive audience overall.

Any radio silence you notice usually is purely because you've just started on the platform. Most people who read comics, listen to music, ect, will stick to one or two sites, and not deviate from that.

So, due to that, you'll notice that audiences often don't migrate.
So, you start over.

The key thing to keep in mind is the long-term of the platform you're using.

For Soundcloud for example, the long-term is that you'll only start getting attention when you run out of free space to upload music.
It doesn't let you edit existing tracks, which means you have to re-upload, which takes up that free space. The feature is locked behind a premium account.

Ergo, you run out of space, you have to make a new account, with no one migrating over. That's on top of the oversaturation of the platform.

Point being, don't worry about it too hard if the platform's long-term isn't cock-blocking you somehow, although it's my belief if your comic was far along on other websites, that you should probably upload as far along as you'd gotten on other websites, so previous users who were following it don't have to wait weeks or months for the rest.

Posted at

GeekyGami wrote:
My way of doing things recently has been not to put all my eggs in one basket.
I upload on Tapas, I upload on Duck.

I upload on Youtube, I upload on Newgrounds.
I upload on Deviantart, I upload on Newgrounds. (For illustration.)

With Newgrounds, Youtube, and Duck/Tapas, what I've noticed is that the bigger the platform, the greater the saturation, the less likely the abundant amount of attention is going to be directed your way.

I have more activity with this comic on Duck than I do on Tapas, despite Tapas being the bigger platform.

More engagement as well, as little as it is.

I noticed this with Newgrounds and Youtube as well.
More engagement, comments and activity on Newgrounds with less there.

You reach a smaller audience, but it's a more active, less passive audience overall.
Like I said, this year marks my 15th anniversary on YouTube, and I've very much noticed how much my audience has dropped drastically over the years the more and more YouTube goes corporate and mainstream, while posturing the "Talking Heads" and sweeping us little guys under the rug. Granted, I am aware my content is niche, but even so, my best years on YouTube were from 2007 to about 2011/2012 or so, when YouTube was far more community-driven and thrived on original content, and less about the trends and going viral and such.

Any radio silence you notice usually is purely because you've just started on the platform. Most people who read comics, listen to music, ect, will stick to one or two sites, and not deviate from that.

So, due to that, you'll notice that audiences often don't migrate.
So, you start over.

The key thing to keep in mind is the long-term of the platform you're using.
Well . . . I certainly did not foresee doing anything so stupid like sharing a couple of memes and making some crass jokes on the forum to get kicked out and have my comic taken down on ComicFury, but as I said, and I apologize for being so redundant, I had made plans as far back as January of 2021 to have ComicFury be my comic's new permanent home, both to re-archive the original strips/pages after Smack Jeeves died, and for the new season's first-run publication next month, so that was my long-term plan . . . but, as they say, if you want to give God a good laugh, tell Him what your plans are.
Point being, don't worry about it too hard if the platform's long-term isn't cock-blocking you somehow, although it's my belief if your comic was far along on other websites, that you should probably upload as far along as you'd gotten on other websites, so previous users who were following it don't have to wait weeks or months for the rest.
Luckily, I was only about six or seven weeks along in my weekly reruns on ComicFury before I got banned, so that wasn't difficult at all to get caught up here . . . then again, my comic was a short story anyway, and the new season coming this fall is also short (although it's about three times as long as the original), but nevertheless, I was even surprised by how quickly I gained an audience on CF, when my comic went virtually unnoticed when it was on Smack Jeeves back in the day . . . though, maybe part of it was I never really bothered getting involved with SJ's community, I used them strictly as a host, while I did get really involved with CF's community (though to be fair, they did seem really open and welcoming when I stepped in).

Posted at

Heh. I see I probably wouldn't have been able to publish my comic on Webtoons anyway; it would seem that there's already a comic on Webtoons called VAMPIRE GIRL . . . funny how these things work out.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

It's always worth doing an extensive search on your proposed title before you start posting, just so you know where you stand. I've passed on a title or two for that reason, but then there's always the danger of someone stealing your thunder after you've started and there's nothing you can do about that.

Posted at

I get that. Like I said in another thread, even though there was one specific song (by Jonathan Richman) that had gotten stuck in my head that eventually lead to the creation of my comic, there appears to be dozens of other songs out there titled "Vampire Girl," and yeah, it is kind of a bland, generic, title, I agree. I suppose I could've just as easily have named the comic after the title character herself, Levana, but somehow, naming the comic after the character seems just as uninspired and unoriginal, though it may have stood out a little bit more, considering I usually try to give my characters names you don't hear/see very often, and I can't think of too many other "Levana"s out there.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I still can't fathom that they banned your whole comic just for forum stuff. It's so weird!

Back in the day we had some people who were trying to be mega-douches, a whole bunch of them- not doing off-colour jokes but actively attacking other members and disrupting the community. They had to do a LOT to get a total ban though!
For simple forum misbehaviour they might just get a temp ban from the forum.

Though I've had some indication from some people that they'd like to see that CF type control here…
Personally I find that idea rather chilling.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

Yeah! This place used to be wild.

Posted at

As a matter of fact, I was even willing to meet them halfway: I offered to stay off of the forum entirely of my own accord if they would at least allow me to continue to host my comic with them, but that discussion went nowhere.

But yeah, I was just thinking about the entire situation again the other night, and if I could get myself into this much trouble on their forum just by sharing a couple of memes (one of which was extremely common on social media for a while) and making a couple of immature jokes, I probably would've gotten into even deeper trouble if I shared some YouTube Poops with much of the same kind of humor.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That kind of thinking… It's a weird sort of McCarthyist, Stalinist thought policing- everything a person does is suspect based on one thing they did, or rather based on one person's interpretation of that thing.
It's pretty evil.

Posted at

Well apparently, my posts bothered more than enough people into reporting me to the forum mods, which is what made the admin decide to ban me, and according to him when we were discussing the issue privately, my ban is less about anything personal against me, and more that they're erring on the side of caution because they've had actual unsavory characters infiltrate their site before, and they don't want to take any chances, even inspite of speaking in my defense and explaining myself. I suppose in a sense, my forum conduct was akin to yelling "FIRE!!" in a crowded building and thinking it's funny, when it's not.

Having it explained to me like that, yeah, I suppose I could see how I unwittingly and unintentionally set off some red flags, I'll agree, and I do admit that I may have overstepped some boundaries and crossed some lines, but again, even explaining the fact that I was sharing a common meme, and that I wasn't even being serious with my crass and immature sense of humor, I'm still banned, even though I really wish I wasn't.

Posted at

Pardon me,

I do wish to add that my experience on CF for about a year and half went downhill because some people became relentless with their own toxic behaviors which made depression much worse.

I was never banned, but I just left because I did not want to deal with toxic people on CF anymore. However, I do know someone who was banned for CF over something dumb.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

This all makes me want to avoid the forums over there.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

We used to have a lot of toxicity here- not just people who we have personality clashes with or who's outlook is different, but socially toxic types who liked to bully and harass others and cause trouble in the community.
I think we imagine we avoid that now because were reasonable and sensible here, but the reality is that we've just been lucky because it's not too busy here and that's boring for those people XD

Now, if you really want to play with crazy memes, we have a place for it:
https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/13167/

:)

Posted at

I've been hearing more about stuff like this through the grapevine just since I've had to migrate over here, which has me trying to look at both sides of the coin on this issue.

On the one hand, I still feel my ban, while justifiable, was quite hasty and harsh (and nice to see some people see my side in this matter), and as I said, what really hurts me the most is that my whole comic was deleted, because despite having only been in reruns for a few weeks, it got much more attention and traffic on ComicFury than it ever did during its original run on Smack Jeeves in 2011 and 2012, where it was practically unnoticed; on CF, I had close to a dozen subscribers, regularly received solid 5-star ratings, and people were actually commenting, and as a struggling Content Creator who rarely receives any kind of feedback on any of my work, it was really refreshing to see people actually enjoy my comic's reruns, and had me so excited about how well the upcoming second season (which visually will definitely be an improvement compared to the rushed first season) would do on their site . . . plus, again, I do miss how CF had so much more features and functions in building and maintaining our comics' websites, compared to the limitations of The Duck (again, I really mean no offense, but it feels like what CeeLo Green once sang about, going from X-Box to Atari).

On the other hand, I have been hearing more about the admin's habit of swinging the banhammer willy-nilly for even such minor and inconsequential infractions, and considering how finicky the forum community also seems to be regarding certain people they single out for one reason or another, maybe in the big picture, it might have been in my better interest to be here instead of CF, I don't know . . . it's still hard for me to accept that possibility because I'm still so focused on what I've lost in my ban from there (again, mostly the overall maintenance of my comic). I will admit some people get along with me better than others, so who knows, there may have been situations or scenarios arise over there where I and certain other members may have eventually butted heads, which may have led to a ban for other reasons entirely.

Really, the only personal issue I had with the forum as a whole was the occasions of Mood Whiplash over there. During my brief time there, we had a number of threads about things we hate, whether it was tropes, character stereotypes, cliched storylines, etc. . . . After a while, some felt this was bringing too much negativity into the community, so to counteract these threads, we also ended up with threads about these same topics, but about ones that we loved instead. Otherwise, I didn't really have too many issues with any of the people over there (though I do with one particular person now that they apparently felt the need to completely block me from their comic, even as a guest, which I don't even know how that's possible, because I never did a damn thing to them, and in fact, was very much a fan of their comic), and there were plenty of great comics I had subscribed to - at least they had a nice variety of really creative and unique comics, as opposed to Smack Jeeve's endless sea of Westernized Manga, stolen sprites, and LGBTQ+ comics.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
plus, again, I do miss how CF had so much more features and functions in building and maintaining our comics' websites, compared to the limitations of The Duck
Could you tell me more about these please?
What features would you like to see here?

Posted at

My Personal experience is as follows:

Hawk and Flo Adventures Flopped on Webtoons completely and utterly. It's a series that regardless of being for the most part family friendly is too off brand for the site because it's not a romance story or a generic anime.

On the Duck Hawk and Flo do a lot better it's in the top 10 section frequently it got featured just last month hit 5 milestones in a week and in general launched to positive reception. It was featured music a week before It became a featured story.

Webtoons is the very worst of Nintendo and the very worst of Sega rolled into an unholy package. They're elitist like Nintendo was in the NES/Snes days and incompetent like Sega was in the Saturn/Dreamcast eras.

The rating system is completely broken, everyone hates it. You can rate yourself 10/10 which means every time a new series is made it's practically automatically rated 10/10 that and it's very prone to trolls coming in and review bombing you for no reason other than 'oh you're doing well now'. Fun Fact before I was featured on the Duck Ice Cream Truck had a 9.4 average after I went down to 9. I also have a friend who got review bombed all the way to the 5s because he got featured on the site.

Webtoon originals suck so hard, they're generic bland, derivative, soulless, at least when Nintendo was Elitist they made classic games and were genuinely trying to improve the quality of Console Gaming because Atari oversaturated it with garbage. Webtoons is even worse They push the wrong stuff all the time like Master of Villains a Korean series that was badly received that they decided to put money into translating it. It is one of the worst webcomics ever made, It's the equivalent of a triple A video game company remaking Big Rigs over the Road Racing and making it worse.

In order to get anywhere on Webtoons you have to self-promote, which is why I've thrown in the towel with webtoons and i'm going to focus more on other sites I mirror my comics on. There's no recent updates section on Webtoons either so many other sites have this and through genuine hard work and passion you can get yourself noticed through it. On Webtoons if some elitist Oligarch doesn't notice you you're basically screwed.

They can't market to save their lives either 'the show before it streams' hacked off everybody who were genuinely passionate about making comics. Every day every week they find someway of screwing up they're like the Usain Bolt of Fucking up.

Posted at

Yeah, I've learned the hard way in the past that self-promotion does nothing but piss people off and make enemies for yourself, so I never do it. I mean going back to YouTube for example, you'll notice one thing that the big partner channels always do is beg for more subscribers at the end of all of their videos: "PLEEEZ! I needz MOAR subs! PLEEEZ subscribe! Help me reach 100,000!" But, if little guys like me even so much as ask anybody take a look at our content if they're interested, then we get attacked and accused of desperately crying for attention, then people go out of their way to dislike bomb our content as a result.

As I said, VAMPIRE GIRL went virtually unnoticed when it was on Smack Jeeves in 2011 and 2012, mainly because it didn't fit in with their zeitgeist, which was an endless sea of Westernized Manga, stolen sprites, and LGBTQ+ comics . . . I even remember trying a little gimmick to get more attention one week by having a particularly suggestive lyric from Jonathan Richman's song in the site banner on their homepage: "Is she in Heaven? Is she in Hell? Is she a sex industry professional?" Didn't work. Like I said, I was very much surprised by how much attention the comic had gotten on ComicFury, even for a few weeks of reruns - that was quite a morale booster for a struggling Content Creator whose work largely goes unnoticed.

Posted at

Okay, see, this particular panel from BRITTANY HYPERSTYLE had me audibly laughing out loud because of those comments coming from the crowd (especially "Pee pee hard!" like seriously, I was guffawing over that)!

See, this is how crude, crass, childish, and immature my sense of humor can get at times . . . and indulging in this kind of humor on ComicFury's forum is how I got banned.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That had me laughing too :D

THAT sort of thing got you banned? wow…

Posted at

Honestly, the more I get used to this place, and the more I hear stories and testimonies from others who are no longer with ComicFury, the more it feels like I essentially just got kicked out of a high school clique.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yup, that's what online communities eventually turn into usually.
We try to keep it open here.

Posted at

Yeah, you're not wrong about that. When it comes to the internet, I'm old school: forums, message boards, and the like were how I connected with people - the only social media platform we had when I was younger was MySpace (man, do I miss MySpace), and the closest thing we had to Discord was a thing known as Instant Messaging, but even so, I've been on my share of such forums where yeah, things do end up becoming quite "high school" at times, and it really wasn't uncommon for certain groups of members to form their own little cliques and sometimes single out certain other members for one reason or another; in some cases, I was also the victim of this, but in others, I was in a position of authority (either as a mod or an admin) and had the power to put a stop to it.

Posted at

After some time has passed, I feel I've grown rather content with being here on DD instead. Granted, I still miss all the various features that ComicFury had to offer for authors and creators when it came to building and maintaining their comics sites, but I really am feeling more and more that the community here, while incredibly smaller and less active, really is more open and accepting, as opposed to how somewhat cliquish and conditional CF's community was . . . at the very least, I suppose I feel more as though that I actually fit in over here than I did at CF, despite my attempts to mingle with and get comfortable with their community.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
After some time has passed, I feel I've grown rather content with being here on DD instead. Granted, I still miss all the various features that ComicFury had to offer for authors and creators when it came to building and maintaining their comics sites, but I really am feeling more and more that the community here, while incredibly smaller and less active, really is more open and accepting, as opposed to how somewhat cliquish and conditional CF's community was . . . at the very least, I suppose I feel more as though that I actually fit in over here than I did at CF, despite my attempts to mingle with and get comfortable with their community.
Ha it's weird… They grew out of us originally.
Their founder was a super problemchild here who got himself banned for life. We've since buried the hatchet and had a few good chats over the years (long time ago now). He's grown up a lot from the kid he was.

But a lot of that site was based on the old DD (not the code, Pretty sure all that is original), so a lot of the website building features are just things we used to have I think.

When DD went down seemingly for good years and years ago a lot of people left and just stayed over there. It was really disappointing…
We cant expect loyalty though, we're not a cult, haha! People should always go to he place that's best for their comic.

The real blame lies with a person who used to work at Wowio… He supremely F***ed up. Just incompetence on a huge scale. It lost us our community. The work it took to resurrect this much was immense.

I'm glad you like it here man. I like to think of DD as the mature adult webcomic site.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.