Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Do you think there's going to be an internet in 2023 ?

lothar
lothar
Posted at

I'm going to be kinda sad to see it all go down. Especially cuz I put so much time into it.

How long will it last?

I'm talking about the war. The WWWIII.
every day I try to appreciate what we have. It may not be around forever.

Posted at

Am I missing something here, or is the government making yet another empty threat to censor the internet again?

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Just Putin rattling his nuclear saber to scare people.

And the media falling over itself to hype it all up while historians and people who are read up on strategy and economics face palm themselves.

When North Korea backs away from you, you really are alone.

But then you only need a couple of air bursts for enough EMP to fry all European electronics. We'll have internet in the Western Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere just Eurasia out to the Ural.

There's plenty to worry about but it's not the end of the whole world just a part. And many folks are saying we'd all be better off without Europe and Europeans anyway.

Did I mention I need like $3K worth of dental work?

lothar
lothar
Posted at

3k for dental! What's wrong with America?! That's seriously fucked. Is that with our without insurance?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Considering that most Dental insurance has a yearly cap on how much they pay… Odds are pretty good that number can be with or without insurance. I'm going out on a limb and guess it is high level work in the realm of endodontic or denture-like needs as those types of care do not have as much coverage on a dental plan compared to other procedures.

Sorry. Went into insurance agent mode. Meh. 8 have a love hate relationship with the internet. There are some things I will miss i.e. this website and overall easy communication. And some things I think the world is better off without.

I can probably deal as a child of the 90s, but I would be worried about my kids who despite my best efforts cannot deal without the need it now economy. They freak out over commercials and program schedules.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

That's the total for an extraction and a bridge. I smashed my front tooth over thirty-five years ago and got a cap. Of late it keeps getting infected so no chance of yet another root canal so it has to come out. Now if I get implants rather than a bridge that could cost four or five times as much. It's my front tooth so will have to do something and since it's infected sooner, rather than later.

I just deleted my Twitter account that I'd had a few years for comic promotion. Had over a thousand followers and had gotten in too deep into too much other garbage and was wasting too much time. So away it goes. Probably do another account that will be strictly for comic promotion with no distractions. Just want a clean break with all the nonsense I'd gotten into amd strictly back to comics.

If the internet ending destroyed what social media has devolved into I'd welcome the destruction.

Idiots on parade. Are you totally ignorant, arrogant and good at just being stupid? Hey, the internet is for you to meet idiots just like yourself where you can bask in an echo chamber of stupid while declaring everyone brainwashed zombies while faithfully following a script written for you by other morons while proclaiming that you do your own research while never strayinf from the echo chamber.

Posted at

America's healthcare system sucks ass.

America's healthcare system sucks balls.

America's healthcare system sucks ass balls.

Either way, they can and will extort money out of you: if you pay a lower premium every month, they jack up the deductible you have to meet before they'll actually pay for/cover anything; on the flip side, if you want a lower deductible, they jack up the premium you have to pay every month.

Once upon a time, I had a decent Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan that covered my expenses rather nicely, plus I only had to pay $20 a month for the premium . . . then Trump got into Office, and suddenly, my BCBS plan jumped up to $536 a month, which I couldn't afford, so it lapsed, I lost my coverage, the expenses they already paid were retroactively declined, so I'm in medical debt that I know I will never get out of because of it. As of 2020, I'm stuck with a plan that's similar to Obamacare, but it's not Obamacare . . . the premium is $210 a month, which is still more than I should have to pay, but it's better than $536, and the best thing about it was I had no deductibles or co-pays that I had to meet . . . but, what they cover as far as expenses go is inconsistent: sometimes, they'll cover as much as 50% depending on the type of services rendered, but other times, they'll cover as little as 5%.

All I know is, even though I didn't really care for the man, if we had Bernie right now, given that I make less than $25,000 a year, I wouldn't have to pay a thing for my health insurance under his Medicare-For-All plan. Biden, unfortunately, not only supports for-profit healthcare, but also definitely supports Big Pharma: my blood pressure prescription, which I usually only had to pay $9-$15 for jumped up to $33 this year, and that's with insurance, or even a discount program like GoodRX!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@Bravo The problem with History is that it's written after the fact. So it's all neat and makes sense. Economics is based on ideals and very broad theories of behaviour.
While human factors like Ex-president Trump and current dictator Putin are chaotic. I don't think many of their actions were predictable-

Because Trump is a moron, he plans nothing in advance and goes totally on instinct, reacting to things as they happen and improvising all the while believing he knows best. The only reason we avoided series conflict while he was in power was due to the efforts of thousands of people working extremely hard to counter him.

Putin like Trump just goes and does the unthinkable- stuff that breaks history, goes absolutely against good economic sense. I believe he would use the nuclear option.

I don't think he will… I believe in common sense. I prefer to look at the world though the eyes of history and people acting according to neat economic models and I like to hope that Putin will fit in with that and that things will correct themselves- he'll be reigned in or they'll get rid of him.
But I don't completely trust in that.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

There are things beyond my control. I have major biologically based depression and anxiety. I cannot focus on things I have no control over because I will fall apart. Things are bad enough as it is. I have to work through the things where I do have some input and can work through rather than worry. If I go on about politics and I won't be able to function. I have to fight my fear and depression every moment of every day. I have to concentrate on those things I can control. The rest of the world just has to do the best it can without me. I'll read the history later.

Let's read some comics and create some of our own memories.

We just happen to live in interesting times. Triumph and tragedy and face palming.

Now read each other's comics leave some comments and I'll continue to delight that I woke up and got out of bed this morning. Because one morning I won't and this is all I have until then.

Posted at

I bet there's going to be an Internet in 2023, because if I happen to lose that bet, I'd be too busy being dead or surviving to care.

Posted at

Late to this party, but hey, Lothar, I get that there's a lot of scary stuff going on right now, but maybe you should log off the internet for a while. I mean that in a nice way, I do it sometimes too. It can really help.

Posted at

I'm pretty sure there's going to be internet next year (2023, a year I'm trying to prepare for), though it will get more expensive by the minute with ISPs deciding how much data caps would be limited for select individuals, unless we can make our own workaround (I'm talking mailing magazines and how to improve dial-up internet and stuff). Just my two cents.

Also, I agree with @dragonsong12 about logging off the internet from time-to-time.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.