Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

apple gets mad when they can't make additional profit off of their customers.

What company is happy when they make less of a profit?

Posted at

meaning they want all exclusive rights to your dollar…they make a machine only they can repair and upgrade. if you buy other products/software they get mad and brick your machine (i.e iphone)

not a very good way to keep customers from coming back or new customers buying your products…but the ceo is an egotist and thinks he shits gold

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

It's gone as far as me preferring Fnal Cut Pro over the Windows version of Avid, but still, I'm a Windows guy. I'm used to XP, never had any troules with it, and in my entire life I've seen maybe 4 bluescreems of death on my own PC.
So yeah, I'm sticking to Windows.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

what do you think of how apple is treating their customers.
this old apple ad shows that they are the controlling entity and not the woman with the hammer

You know, I really don't understand this attitude people have. You know going in that you are locked down to one carrier and that is Apple's right as the manufacturer of the product. They designed it to work a certain way and ATT developed a feature that works on the iphone that other carriers don't have. So you go buy the phone and then throw tantrum because you can't ignore how the phone is supposed to work. It is like getting mad that you buy a civic and you can't drop a MACK truck engine in it. GTFU. For real. Bunch of babies.

Posted at

it's more like you're renting a phone…

they refuse to even look at it, some iphones that was all legal no new programs and they still got bricked. apple said some iphone may be disabled…if this happens then they said you should buy another $600 phone.

wow great customer service.

also 60 days later they lowered the price by 200 dollars, although they said they can get a rebate back but you can only use it at an apple store. hmm…so really they still have your money in the end.

shiesty.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

it's more like you're renting a phone…

If you rent something you have to give it back at the end. So no, you are not renting an iphone.

they refuse to even look at it, some iphones that was all legal no new programs and they still got bricked. apple said some iphone may be disabled…if this happens then they said you should buy another $600 phone.

1. How long is my iPhone covered by Apple's warranty?
Apple's Limited Warranty for iPhone covers your iPhone for one year. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase ("date of purchase" ).

So either you are making this up because you hate Apple for some personal reason or the person who said that Apple would not repair a bricked phone from an update is a liar. People lie. It is a reality. I know this because I do tech support and have done it for multiple electronics companies for years.

wow great customer service.

Apple has no obligation to fix something that someone used in a way it was not designed to be used.

also 60 days later they lowered the price by 200 dollars, although they said they can get a rebate back but you can only use it at an apple store. hmm…so really they still have your money in the end.

This is called supply and demand and most companies don't offer anything to previous customers when they drop a price. In this regard, Apple should be lauded.

shiesty.

Sheisty is selling an operating system that isn't finished for 5 different price points.

Posted at

you buy something, and then the company decides to make it inert because they don't like the way you are using it…sounds like renting to me.

you buy it, it's yours. hell, if i buy an iphone and shit on it…that should be my right to do so.

how about if you buy a $3,000 computer and then you update and then it shuts down…the only place that can fix it won't touch it. great investment there.

i'm not making it up
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Changes+Mind+About+Third+Party+Support/article9322.htm

Apple is remaining firm on its stance about unlocking: Unlock your iPhone and update, and you phone will be dead. If you don't like it, they say, buy a new iPhone and don't unlock it.

lawsuits:
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+ATT+Sued+for+iBricking+Monopolistic+Behavior/article9247.htm

The federal case accuses Apple of unfair business practices, violations of antitrust laws, violations of telecommunications laws and violations of warranty laws. It states that by disallowing user modification of phones to work on other networks, Apple and AT&T willfully and knowingly intended from the initiation of their partnership to maintain a monopoly.

Apple punished consumers for exercising their rights to unlock their iPhones. Apple issued a software update that 'bricked' or otherwise caused iPhone malfunctions for consumers who unlocked their phones and installed the update. Apple's unlawful trust with AT&T substantially lessens competition and tends to create a monopoly in trade and commerce throughout the entire United States.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

you buy something, and then the company decides to make it inert because they don't like the way you are using it…sounds like renting to me.

You apparently don't understand the definition of renting.

you buy it, it's yours. hell, if i buy an iphone and shit on it…that should be my right to do so.

And if you whine because your shit breaks the iPhone then Apple doesn't have to replace it. Isn't it amazing how that works?

how about if you buy a $3,000 computer and then you update and then it shuts down…the only place that can fix it won't touch it. great investment there.

That's an awesome analogy that is completely invalid. A phone is not a personal computer.
If you buy a car, and they say that the only place you should drive the car is on a road and then you mod it so you can drive it on water, then why should the original company pay for your modifications that are incompatible with road use?

You are altering the way the device is meant to be used and complaining because your modification is not supported by the manufacturer. That is the height of stupidity.

i'm not making it up
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Changes+Mind+About+Third+Party+Support/article9322.htm
Again, they messed with the phone (in direct opposition to what Apple stated should be done) and did things to it that where never supposed to be done with it and are now mad that their screwing around is not supported by Apple. Wah Wah Wah.

Apple is remaining firm on its stance about unlocking: Unlock your iPhone and update, and you phone will be dead. If you don't like it, they say, buy a new iPhone and don't unlock it.

Shocking how much sense that makes.

lawsuits:
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+ATT+Sued+for+iBricking+Monopolistic+Behavior/article9247.htm

The federal case accuses Apple of unfair business practices, violations of antitrust laws, violations of telecommunications laws and violations of warranty laws. It states that by disallowing user modification of phones to work on other networks, Apple and AT&T willfully and knowingly intended from the initiation of their partnership to maintain a monopoly.

A monopoly is controlling an entire industry. You don't have to have an iPhone to make phone calls. You don't have to use ATT. You can get a Samsung and use Verizon like I do. This lawsuit is tantamount to saying "Burger King is running a monopoly because I can't get a Whopper at MacDonalds."

Apple punished consumers for exercising their rights to unlock their iPhones. Apple issued a software update that 'bricked' or otherwise caused iPhone malfunctions for consumers who unlocked their phones and installed the update. Apple's unlawful trust with AT&T substantially lessens competition and tends to create a monopoly in trade and commerce throughout the entire United States.

B.S.

Posted at

That's an awesome analogy that is completely invalid. A phone is not a personal computer.
If you buy a car, and they say that the only place you should drive the car is on a road and then you mod it so you can drive it on water, then why should the original company pay for your modifications that are incompatible with road use?

apple is the one that sank the car, there's your analogy.
they broke it purposely

you buy a car, you mod it to drive on water, then an apple guy comes in and shoot holes in your boat. you go to the store "WTF, man!".
guy goes…"you broke it by moding it."

evil i say.

Posted at

Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?

This is why I am glad I'm poor and can't afford these things anyway so I don;t have to deal with these problems!

…..

….

I'm gonna go cry now.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

apple is the one that sank the car, there's your analogy.
they broke it purposely

Apple didn't make you take it back to them for an update. They can make an update that only works on their phones. So if you mod your phone and then download an update for it and then complain because it doesn't work, then it isn't Apple's fault. Take some personal responsibility for God's sake.

you buy a car, you mod it to drive on water, then an apple guy comes in and shoot holes in your boat. you go to the store "WTF, man!".
guy goes…"you broke it by moding it."

evil i say.

Apple didn't hunt down all the hacked iPhones. That's where your rebuttal breaks down.

Posted at

no warning from apple…people thought it was just an update for itunes.

people who put harmless 3rd party program like a ringtone maker got their phone bricked. no other phone does that…the reason apple did that was they would also lose money with their 99cents ringtones.

same reason why they brick the unlocked phones, so that apple can keep getting the percentage from AT&T

that is what i call manipulative evil greedy.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

no warning from apple…people thought it was just an update for itunes.

people who put harmless 3rd party program like a ringtone maker got their phone bricked. no other phone does that…the reason apple did that was they would also lose money with their 99cents ringtones.

same reason why they brick the unlocked phones, so that apple can keep getting the percentage from AT&T

that is what i call manipulative evil greedy.

Here you are faulting Apple for the exact same thing that every single wireless carrier does. Verizon charges an ungodly price for ringtones. And the programs that they allow you to use, they get kickbacks from. Same with ATT and every other one out there. As a matter of fact, everything that you are mad at Apple about is done in one way or another by every other computer and phone company out there.

Apple has every right to make a product and expect a profit from it. Why are you so up in arms about wanting to take the product that Apple makes and completely screw them out of the money that the market says they deserve for creating it? Instead of being so pissed about it, just get a different phone.

That's what I don't get about the whole Apple Hate Squad. No one is making you use Apple products. Greedy? BS. Evil? No. It's capitalism and classical liberalism whole-heartedly endorses it. If you don't like it, I am sure your Nokia works just fine with whatever company you roll with.

Apple said, one carrier. Then people bought the phone and said, "HAHA F*CK YOU APPLE, I CAN MAKE IT WORK ON MY PHONE COMPANY LOLOMG!" and Bam, Apple updates it and they start crying. So it's okay to screw Apple but not for the screwers? Turnabout is fair play, boys and girls.

Just like it is not okay to pirate a movie or a song it is not okay to pirate hardware. You can buy a movie but it is not your right to send it to everyone else on the planet. You can buy an iPhone, but it is not your right to hand it to every other company that Apple does not have a partnership with and that is what people are doing. I don't see what the obsession is with taking an iPhone and running it on something other than ATT. I really don't. Other phones are locked down to single carriers but oh no Apple does it and we can hear the Four Horsemen saddling up. For real. get a grip you people.

Posted at

first time i've heard of a phone shutting down because they can't make money off it.
"buy our other product or we break break your phone" WOW it pisses me off that they have the audacity to strong arm people. to me it's like a protection money that you give to the mob.

apple failed me, i will never buy another apple product. i felt betrayed…i mean i was so excited about iphone i made this http://www.drunkduck.com/Dreams_in_Synergy/html/extra.html now i kow the true face of apple and i don't like it. this company let me down. that is why i'm pissed off.

i have the right to be pissed off.

Posted at

The car analogy only works if we figure in the makers of roads. Because that's really the problem here. People are modding their cars, against the express wish of the manufacturer, to be able to drive on water, then coming back to the road and finding that the people who make roads have decided they don't want cars that can drive on water on their roads because the road people have a deal with the car people. And apparently the whole thing is being taken to court now to see if the road makers and the car manufacturers should be allowed to work together like that.

Apple is a corporation that wants to make as much money as possible. If there's a benevolent mobile phone manufacturer out there that gives away cellphones for free and pats their customers on the back for hacking the software on them, I haven't heard of 'em yet. Apple managed to completely dominate the market for mp3 players within a few years by turning them into fashion accessories. Cellphones are already considered fashion accessories by a lot of the people who buy them, so that market looks perfect for Apple to break into. And now they're trying to throw their weight as the inventors of the iPod around to take the biggest slice of that market possible. That's what corporations do. They try to make money.

Posted at

they break phones with malicious intent even if a person just put a ringmaker program or a gps type map that isn't supported by apple. apple also released a statement about letting 3rd party be intstalled into their phones without bricking it, but they didn't release a statement about unbricking people's phones…even if it was legally unlocked, yet they just put a 3rd party program.

apple won't even look at your phone if it's bricked, because they think you're a hacker trying to pull one over them.

i would think this kind of aggressive marketing would make them lose customers (like me) therefore lose profit in future with their other products.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Blah, blah… You bought a phone, for WAY too much but you don't even own it even after that… That's the plain fact. All your analogies suck. And Apple doesn't do it so they can make more profit from you specifically anyway, so people thinking along those lines have it wrong: They do it because they made a deal with AT&T to make them the exclusive carrier. If they let you do your own thing, they get in trouble with AT&T.

I replaced my Windows PC with a Mac Pro last week. I am never ever ever in a million years going back to Windows.
No one on earth is more fanatical than the converted… No matter what they've been converted to or from, it's just one of those things lol!

Meh, Widows isn't bad for what it does, seeing as it has to be reasonably user friendly and at the same time be able to run on 6 bazillion different user configurations that are updating and changing all the time as new tech comes out. Apple simply can not and would never do that. With Apple you buy a hardware AND software package that's specifically designed for each other, so obviously it's going to be able to run better and it does! The disadvantage will always be price, at every stage: buying, fixing, upgrading, and even the cost of software and games (and if it's not more $$ for SW that's because it's slower to come out), and the price differential is because of the smaller user base and the fact there's much less competition among hardware and software producers.

Posted at

They do it because they made a deal with AT&T to make them the exclusive carrier. If they let you do your own thing, they get in trouble with AT&T.

I'm not sure I see how this contradicts what I was saying… Apple and AT&T have an agreement, and they can work together to force their customers to do things like only use the software they want them to use. Two corporations using their position to maximize profit.

Also, just to throw this in here, my understanding is the reason the exclusive deal with AT&T exists is that Apple wanted a share of all profits made from the use of the iPhones, and AT&T was the only carrier willing to take that deal. That's what I meant when I said Apple are throwing their weight around - they're basically saying "we're the inventors of the iPod, and this is going to be the next big thing on the useless overpriced gizmos market. If you want in on it, you play by our rules."

Again, not strange behavior for a corporation. They exist to make money. What's happening here, though, is that it's starting to look like they overestimated their leverage and too many people are refusing to play their game. Which is strange, because Apple is usually excellent at emotional marketing, and now people are mad at them.

With Apple you buy a hardware AND software package that's specifically designed for each other, so obviously it's going to be able to run better and it does! The disadvantage will always be price

So, um, you pay more for a device that works better. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm not sure I see how this contradicts what I was saying.
And I wasn't disputing what you were saying, that's why I wrote above the quote, that was addressed generally ;)
But yeah, it's their business practise. Of course it's shoddy because you don't actually own what you've paid enough too own. But these days the practise is becoming common and Apple are by no means the first to do it.
So, um, you pay more for a device that works better. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
That's not what I was saying at all, and I wasn't arguing or contradicting you, just explaining why this was so.

What you're paying for is a well made device (the quality), plus a large mark-up that exists because there's less demand and lower competition in this business model.

With Windows and PCs (two very separate components), you pay less because of superior competition and large demand. As far as hardware goes the sky is the limit of course in every aspect (quality, aesthetics, power…). With the OS it is limited because of the vast hardware choice available. Ignoring silly stuff about it being a beta, being less secure, being buggy; what makes it not as good as the current Mac OS is the fact that with no simple standardised high end hardware, it simply can't reach the heights that OSX can on extremely high end systems.

That's the only reason I'm considering buying a G5.

Posted at

What you're paying for is a well made device (the quality), plus a large mark-up that exists because there's less demand and lower competition in this business model.

I'm not going to deny the markup on Macs, and it's silly to treat Apple as if they're not acting like monopolists in their segment of the market because they are.

But just as a side note, if you buy a brand name Windows PC like, say, a Compaq, you're not really getting off all that much cheaper. What's cheaper is the machines you get from discount chains, which more often than not contain shitty, mismatched components. To really get a better deal, you have to build your own machine.

Posted at

Also, as a recent convert, I'd like to restate how annoying it is that this board isn't Safari compliant. Muttermutter.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

That's the only reason I'm considering buying a G5.

Are they selling G5s in Australia? Because you can't buy a new one in the U.S. If you do buy one, get one with an Intel Core Duo.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Are they selling G5s in Australia?
Well, no one's ever had any trouble buying them before… I don't know about the latest ones currently in the shops, but through the Apple Australia website they seemed to be offering them. I can leave it for a few months anyway.
If you do buy one, get one with an Intel Core Duo.
Naw… The only reason I was considering one is because they can have 2 of the 64 bit Xeon quadcore processors and take full advantage of them. Plus the massive ram capacity… 32 bit Windows can't even use 4 gig to the max. :(

Ah, they do have 4 hard drive bays… but only 750 gig max in each…? I probably won't but one though, the price isn't worth it for the setup… :( I can better use a lot of that cash on other things. ($8,603.99 is what I'm looking at for the config I'd like)(
Also, as a recent convert, I'd like to restate how annoying it is that this board isn't Safari compliant. Muttermutter
That's unfortunate, and strange seeing as the pics of the Plat employees I've seen show them using Mac books… lol!
Ah, Safari isn't that great anyway… I always found i lame. There are a lot of good browsers for the Mac that'd work better. :)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.