Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I never got the craze about the iPhone. It seems impossible to me to get all worked up about a phone like that, especially when it turns out to be not all that.

I've got a Ericsson myself, and I only use ot for phonecalls and text messaging. There's a lot more on it, including two different cameras and an MP3player, but I never use that stuff…a phone's for calling. Media has made it seem like the iPhone can do anything, except for that.

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

both kinds of computers have their pros and cons.
That's the misconception though, isn't it? There aren't two kinds of computer… Apple is a company that makes their PCs, controlling the process all the way. Windows is just an operating system. They force various things on manufacturers due to the power of market share, but "Windows PC" is a misnomer. Very important to remember. ;)

You can even run Windows fine on your Macs now, if you need to for the software, your game, whatever.

while this is true today with macs using intel chips now it wasn't when i was working at the computer store. there were 2 kinds of computers. macs were still using motorola chips and windows did not run on them without an emulator.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Hahaha, that's not what I mean though Bongo. :)
Macs, no matter the chips, will always be PCs apart. Simply because of of business model. But while you CAN buy an Apple PC, you can't really buy a "Windows" PC. You get me? People call them that, but it's just intellectual laziness, they're simply PCs: ANY operating system can be made to run on them.

That's the broad theory… Of course most of the components are designed with Windows in mind because it's the dominant PC OS by far. But still, they're not really "Windows PC"s, at least NOT in anywhere near the same way as Apple Macs are Apple PCs.

marine
marine
Posted at

I don't have an ipod, I think its a piece of shit. I don't own anything mac or apple, I tried to use one and it felt like having someone hold you while you're using the restroom. Thats not to say I like PC stuff anymore (which they own a big part of apple don't they? Because if thats true, all those apple good Microsoft bad commercials are even funnier.) but I got an xbox 360 because I can kill zombies on it (dead rising) or just about anything else (bioshock, gears of war, condemned, saints row, Oblivion, and *sigh* halo) that had a chip on its shoulder. To me it seemed like the best game system to go with. Had the Wii had murderous games like the 360, I would've went for it simply because of the price range. Even with the 360, I didn't get it until april this year. Is the xbox 360 the best console ever? No. Renting games at a place like Blockbuster runs you close to ten bucks, which is outrageous. I can buy a decent game for 20. I can buy a pretty good game for 30. But why does it always feel like I'm getting the shaft with anything I do anymore? I wouldn't even begin to know how to use a computer, but when I tried to use a mac it was unbelievable the amount of hand holding on that thing. Its really, REALLY idiot proof. But you know what, somehow I bet people are still stupid enough to screw it up. I'm not a fan of anything anymore, except myself, marvel, violent video games/movies, and big breasts. Apple can't offer any of that, can it?

I hate being one of the early adapters of anything. I love that I was one of the first people on Drunk Duck, but it doesn't really mean anything. It meant I was one of the people that had to deal with downtime and a lack of features that drunk duck has now. Anytime anything comes out, I'm skeptical. I always rent a video game or play a demo before I buy it. I usually wait for movies to come out on basic cable before I watch them. I still don't drink bottled water or do yoga. I still don't have a cell phone that I talk on constantly either, for whatever reason, I find all that stuff lame.

Isn't there another phone thats better than the iphone? I belive a certain internet guy mentioned as being the best? It looks like that one is the one to go with. Text messaging is about as innovative and smart as the guys who put playstation 2s in their steering wheels, which if you can't tell from my condescending and satirical tone, is stupid like the ipod, iphone, imac, ianything. Not thatâ™ 

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

See, Maddox was right. No discussion.

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

Hahaha, that's not what I mean though Bongo. :)
Macs, no matter the chips, will always be PCs apart. Simply because of of business model. But while you CAN buy an Apple PC, you can't really buy a "Windows" PC. You get me? People call them that, but it's just intellectual laziness, they're simply PCs: ANY operating system can be made to run on them.

That's the broad theory… Of course most of the components are designed with Windows in mind because it's the dominant PC OS by far. But still, they're not really "Windows PC"s, at least NOT in anywhere near the same way as Apple Macs are Apple PCs.

yup. you are 100% right. i think saying windows PC is easier than listing all the makers of PCs that run windows. and technically they are all PCs because PC is personal computer. maybe saying Apple OS compatable PCs vs Windows compatable PCs would be better. but i remember reading somewhere that some computer nerds hacked OSX and got it to run on a Windows compatable PC and with Apples using Intel chips i bet Windows could run on an Apple PC. AHHHHHH!!!! i give up. :)

Posted at

apple gets mad when they can't make additional profit off of their customers.
i bet they even try to figure out how to make a profit everytime you go to the rest room

Posted at

apple, the technological fascists
Racist. D:

you mean, fruitist.

…rofl awful.

Posted at

apple gets mad when they can't make additional profit off of their customers.
i bet they even try to figure out how to make a profit everytime you go to the rest room

iPiss.

Cutting edge urinating technology.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

iPiss.

Cutting edge urinating technology.
Sorry dude, Nintendo beat you to it with the Wii. ;)

horseboy
horseboy
Posted at

Isn't there another phone thats better than the iphone? I belive a certain internet guy mentioned as being the best? It looks like that one is the one to go with. Text messaging is about as innovative and smart as the guys who put playstation 2s in their steering wheels, which if you can't tell from my condescending and satirical tone, is stupid like the ipod, iphone, imac, ianything. Not thatâ�
Bitches like texting!

Posted at

My cell phone's about 5 years old. I need a new one. I was thinking of getting an iPhone sometime soon. But now I'm not so sure.

As far as Mac vs. PC goes …

- I'm a graphics artist. I've spent 12 years working on macs at various newspapers, publications and printing houses. Mac Mac Mac Mac Mac Mac Mac. It's like the printing world runs on Mac. The moment I saw Adobe offer Photoshop for the PC, I rejoiced. I use a PC at home. Because at home I do more than just make stuff for printing. And now that all of the graphics software is usable on PC, I might as well maximize what I use at home. In terms of which is better, I have no clue. I hate all computers equally when they don't work or have a bug. And love them all equally when they're working as intended.

- Those commercials with Justin Long? Yeah, uh, I dunno, they make me like PC better, because the guy who plays the PC is just plain funnier. Justin Long's the straightman for that. And even though all of the punchlines are supposed to show PCs negatively, the fact that the PC guy is funny makes me like him and his computer more. Apple should think long and hard about that ad-campaign. It's almost as disastrous as the e-surance thing where I have no clue what's going on half the time.

That's all I got. I'm not as tech saavvy as I should be.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Those commercials with Justin Long? Yeah, uh, I dunno, they make me like PC better, because the guy who plays the PC is just plain funnier.
Exactly :)

Man, those ads… You have one funny guy who just seems so relaxed and "himself"; the way he talks, his body language, his clothes, everything. And then the "Mac" guy just seems to be trying WAY too hard, everything about him is a calculated pose to try and make himself seem "cool": the way he talks, all his body language, the way he's dressed, his hair, even the way his clothes sit. It all just screams: "this is all a front! Look at me, PLEASE think this is cool!"

They send the wrong message… What the ads seem to say to me are that Macs just for those bubblehead try-hards who know absolutely nothing, who aren't even funny or interesting to be around, their only purpose is to try and look "cool", and fail at it: losers.

Unless they're trying to appeal to 10 year olds, they should switch around the roles.
Heh, I'd compare the ads to a team like Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin, and say that people usually liked Lewis more (in those films) even though he played an idiot, or even Bob Hope and Bing Cosby and the way people liked Hope more (in their films) even though Cosby was the smooth one, but both Bing Cosby and Dean Martin were a Trillion Billion times better at being cool dudes than the Mac guy.

Posted at

I've always thought that Microsoft is better, Apple did well with itunes and things like that but Microsoft will always be superior

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I hated those commercials…the Mac guy would piss me off.

Posted at

wow, apple can suck my sack…

The company is now accepting only credit or debit card payments for the devices so they can track who purchases the phone, according to one Apple Store employee.

People looking to walk into an Apple retailer and buy an iPhone with cash will be out of luck. The company is now accepting only credit or debit card payments for the devices so they can track who purchases the phone, according to an employee at the Apple Store in New York's SoHo neighborhood.

The new policy is Apple's attempt to prevent people from purchasing and then unlocking and reselling iPhones, a situation that has been a problem for the company. Apple won't let anyone without a credit card or debit card in their name purchase iPhones, according to an unidentified Apple Store employee in a phone interview.

"We need to track the purchases of the iPhone [because] we have people buying the phones, unlocking the phones and selling them," she said.

A report by the Associated Press last week said Apple was limiting the purchases to two devices and allowing users to purchase them only with credit or debit cards. According to store employees, the two-device limit has always been in place, but the noncash policy is new.

Apple's public relations team did not respond to multiple requests for comment on the new policy. However, it's no secret the company is trying to stem the tide of unlocked and resold phones, now totaling about 250,000. Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook mentioned that number last week in a quarterly results conference call as the difference between the number of handsets sold – approximately 1.4 million – and those actually connecting via AT&T Wireless, the iPhone's exclusive U.S. carrier.

If one analyst's estimate is correct, those unlocked phones are costing Apple millions of dollars. Piper Jaffrey analyst Gene Munster said that he believes Apple receives US$18 per iPhone per month from AT&T Wireless, based on iPhone-related revenue Apple reported in its latest quarterly earnings, totaling more than $4.5 million in lost revenue.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139041-c,iphone/article.html

Posted at

PC = Manual transmission
Mac = Automatic transmission
Years ago, back in the windows 3.5 days, I loved Macs cause I could create with them. I didn't know or care how it worked, just like I don't care how a pencil works. I was just able to use it. As time went on, and PCs copied all the best features of a Mac, there was no reason to exclusively use a Mac. The PC had attained the ability to be used as a tool, right out of the box. And the open nature of a PC, allowed for more diversity. That, by the way, is why Linux wont catch on. Until JoeBob and Aunt Minnie can just put Linux in on their computer and just use it, it won't get popular.

Posted at

You'se a bit of a hater. But I see where you're coming from. But what can you expect from a company like that with one of the worst consumer bases of all time? I have yet to meet a Mac user who is NOT a pompous ass or thinks he's better for using a piece of machinery.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I have yet to meet a Mac user who is NOT a pompous ass or thinks he's better for using a
There aren't many like that… I think you get that more in certain places on the net. I mean, there's the morons who go to product launches and cheer and stuff and those idiots who queue up in lines outside shops, waiting to get the latest product: those are like a bizzaro ultra capitalist parody of communist breadlines and rallies lol!

But you get crazy zombie people who do that for lots of different technology products…

No, almost all the Mac users I've ever known were perfectly fine. I think there were only two arses: a lecturer at my old Uni, he was one of those sad fanatics and a bit of a cock generally. The other was a tech support guy who thought they were the best thing on the planet… But the computers he was in charge of, although they were super high-end, tended to run like crap… I think he was just really shit at his job lol!

———————————————-

About that iphone thing though., that's part of a very negative trend with tech: companies don't want you buying the stuff and owning it any longer, they want you renting it from them forever. Same model as online RPGs and software generally. You don't really own it, the company does, you just pay for the privilege to use their stuff. ;)

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

We finally got those iMacs the other day, and I have to say that it isn't as bad as I was expecting. We use them for editing (With Final Cut Pro), and so far I haven't had any problems with it, apart from the getting to know the system standards.

Then again, We were editing on a constantly freezing PC before, so anything's better than that. Even a mac.

Posted at

I replaced my Windows PC with a Mac Pro last week. I am never ever ever in a million years going back to Windows. See, I don't have an IT degree. To keep a Windows machine running smoothly, you practically need an IT degree. I just want a computer that works. I'm not required to know exactly how the gas in my stove combusts in order to be able to fucking cook with it either, it's only with computers where thousands of people apparently think unless you know the most minute details of how the machine works, you shouldn't be entitled to use it.

I do realize that I'm being robbed blind for a computer that could be made with the same performance at half the price, but short of acquiring the aforementioned IT degree, I have two options, so I choose the lesser of two evils. If you really want a good machine at a fair price, you have to build it yourself and install Unix or Linux. Neither of which I'm capable of. So I bought a Mac.

Now Apple's other gizmos I don't know about. I got my iPod for free, so I'm cool with it, but the "black box" behavior does irritate me, and I wouldn't dream of buying an iPhone. Dumbest, most overpriced turd ever. But as far as their computers go, there isn't a sensible reason in the world for me to stick with Windows. Especially now that most Windows machines you buy won't actually have a fully developed OS installed, but the beta version of something called "Vista", the fully operational version of which we can expect to be available in about two years. F that.

And besides, you're just jealous because my computer's prettier than yours. ;-)

Posted at

No Ocean, I stick by it. I've met ALOT of mac users who are douchebags. I only know 2 who are cool and about 50 who are of the douche varity.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.