Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

It's been confirmed that the one of the last night kills was made by a rival.

5 murders = 3 mobsters, 1 vigilante, 1 rival.

If the rival goal is only to get rid of the mobsters then effectively he'd only be a second vigilante.

Rival Member
One member of the game will be a Rival to the Mob. He is like a townie but has the ability to kill once every three nights. He wins by being the in the final three.
This means that if the mobsters are all taken cared of and there are more then three players left, the rival has to continue killing until the number drops to that level.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

It's been confirmed that the one of the last night kills was made by a rival.

5 murders = 3 mobsters, 1 vigilante, 1 rival.

If the rival goal is only to get rid of the mobsters then effectively he'd only be a second vigilante.
Rival Member
One member of the game will be a Rival to the Mob. He is like a townie but has the ability to kill once every three nights. He wins by being the in the final three.
This means that if the mobsters are all taken cared of and there are more then three players left, the rival has to continue killing until the number drops to that level.
Nope, I asked Baron myself, he said that if the townies win, the rival shares their victory.

Posted at

Well the rules as he states them on page one contradicts that. So he's changed the rules.

And like I said. He's basically just another vigilante then, only weaker.

Oh and regarding the complaints about the paranoid. It seem like the paranoid has become the veteran from game one(basically he now has the ability to have two night lives) except that he needs to wait for two days in order to charge it up.

Paranoid
You understand that the world is a scary place. That the people around you can not be trusted. You have placed recording devices around the town and have the ability to listen into conversations. Every morning you will receive snippets of pms giving you more clues. You can either use these in two ways. You can inform the town of what you have learn, this will be a random act, such as graffiti on the walls, or you can use the information you have learned by giving yourself an extra night life. Two nights worth of information will give you one extra life. But it is either one or the other. If you risk yourself by giving the town clues eventually the mob will catch on. And they will receive clues about you.

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

PP, I've agreed with your last several posts (a roll-up agreement :))

Hark said he didn't get to use his "extra" life even though it was the second night.

I think if you are going to change the role of an existing "special" such as the paranoid, the name of the role needs to be changed.

I've been in game design to a limited extend and it's very hard to find the perfect balance and the game has to be played to see if there is a clear advantage for one side or the other (and the mafia owns the game in M4). And changing a role such as paranoid seems minor but the impact (of making the mafia more tentative) may not be felt until the game starts. One of the challenges of a game that shifts every time it's played.

I agree that the role of the rival has changed since I originally read the role… I assumed he was more like the serial killer in M3 and would win if everyone else was dead. oh well.

And, Gullas needs to be never, never be given the Vig role again :)

Well the rules as he states them on page one contradicts that. So he's changed the rules.

And like I said. He's basically just another vigilante then, only weaker.

Oh and regarding the complaints about the paranoid. It seem like the paranoid has become the veteran from game one(basically he now has the ability to have two night lives) except that he needs to wait for two days in order to charge it up.

Paranoid
You understand that the world is a scary place. That the people around you can not be trusted. You have placed recording devices around the town and have the ability to listen into conversations. Every morning you will receive snippets of pms giving you more clues. You can either use these in two ways. You can inform the town of what you have learn, this will be a random act, such as graffiti on the walls, or you can use the information you have learned by giving yourself an extra night life. Two nights worth of information will give you one extra life. But it is either one or the other. If you risk yourself by giving the town clues eventually the mob will catch on. And they will receive clues about you.

Posted at

I didn't change the rules on the rival. The town wins if all of the mob are dead. This win would end the game so the Rival would technically "win" to thats all. his personal win is to just be in the final three.

Posted at

But what makes him different from the vigilante, apart from killing only once every three night?

I understand that my last few posts here may sound like an attack on you since you're the GM for this round but it is nothing personal to you. It's just my first time at this and I'm digesting the game in my mind.

I think the next time we should try to give the paranoid his old role again. I don't like the idea of the rival, unless we chance him and the zombie doesn't fit there. I like the randoms and we should keep that around. I'd like to chance the mob system so that the we'd go back to the godfather being untouchable/undetectable until all the other mobsters are dead, no goon is needed. We should try a mixture of 3 mobsters, a god father, and a mad bomber and that the bomber can gain random power. Once all the mobsters are dead, the godfather gains killing power and becomes detectable.

Posted at

Ok. That's fair. But I liked the part where if the police chief/detective does a background check on the godfather, he comes out as a townie.

I'd like to be around and help design the rules for the next game. I don't know if I'd be good at making clues though so I suggest someone else take the role of a GM.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Oh and, I liked the way the random worked this time.
T'was much different from the other two times. =w=_b

Posted at

I still don't know what the good random does. It hasn't come up… unless I missed it.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

^_~ Total secret!

Posted at

^_~ Total secret!

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

HA. Sorry you are dead in M4 man.

Baron, I think you have added some very interesting elements to the game… if we had enough people we could do two mob groups and the civies… that would really be confusing but fun :D

I just want to play as mafia eventually… I'm tired of the white hat :D

I know what I think worked well in M3 and M4

^_~ Total secret!

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

What are you talking about man… i thought you were the serial killer in m3? HAHA..

HA. Sorry you are dead in M4 man.

Baron, I think you have added some very interesting elements to the game… if we had enough people we could do two mob groups and the civies… that would really be confusing but fun :D

I just want to play as mafia eventually… I'm tired of the white hat :D

I know what I think worked well in M3 and M4
^_~ Total secret!

Posted at

:/ That could be dangerous. If the idea is to have two mobster groups that could accidentally kill each other off, there would have to be some very strict rules against them working together. The two groups might secretly call a truce and co-ordinate an attack on non members for couple of rounds before deciding to focus on each other.

How would they do it? If the mobsters become aware of each other they could send between themselves a list of 5 non member for the other group to kill. That way they could ensure that they stay safe for a short time and at the same time they would devastate the civilian population. When it becomes that much harder for the townies to do anything about it, the mobster can then focus on wiping out the competition.

When designing a game we'll always have to take metagaming into consideration.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

=w= They wouldn't risk it.
Even if they did, then the other mafia could just screw them over and tell the townies.

It's an interesting idea, but we'd need way more players for it to work, and it would get confusing…

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

I was half-way joking but that option would take a lot more players and a lot more thought about how the pieces fit together. I think, at this point, the rival is probably not the best role for a 20 person game.

=w= They wouldn't risk it.
Even if they did, then the other mafia could just screw them over and tell the townies.

It's an interesting idea, but we'd need way more players for it to work, and it would get confusing…

crocty
crocty
Posted at

What are you talking about man… i thought you were the serial killer in m3? HAHA..
I still haven't forgiven you for that. ):

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

Hey, I didn't kill you (sorry Baron) but I did try to frame you (a red herring ;))

I still haven't forgiven you for that. ):

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Well Aghammer is the best clue writer ever. He wrote his own clues for my game.

But I do think that now that we are starting to get the hang of it, we can start pulling more numbers. To date, I've held the biggest name of 21 people.

Can anyone beat me?

HAHAHA!

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

And got myself killed…HAHA…

Aren't you GMing game 5?

Well Aghammer is the best clue writer ever. He wrote his own clues for my game.

But I do think that now that we are starting to get the hang of it, we can start pulling more numbers. To date, I've held the biggest name of 21 people.

Can anyone beat me?

HAHAHA!

Posted at

Ah the hell with it. I'm gonna post it here as well.

In order to read the text better, right click the image and select "View image"

Posted at

eh, say what you want PP, I am happy with the fact that I tried some new things. Each GM needs to keep trying new things or the game will get stale.

Posted at

eh, say what you want PP, I am happy with the fact that I tried some new things. Each GM needs to keep trying new things or the game will get stale.
Be as happy as you want to be with your game. I can't deny that it was fun. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with voicing out one's opinion.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.