Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
KingRidley
KingRidley
Posted at

I've heard so many stories about people donating money to a bum, and then the bum either gets mad because they didn't give enough, or they weren't really homeless, or all sorts of things like that. I can't trust these people, so I rarely donate money to them. However, giving money to organizations that help the homeless is another story.

pastel
pastel
Posted at

I was waiting for the bus once and a man came over and gave me some story about how he reeeeeeaally needed some money because he was poor and so on. He seemed genuinely needy so I dug up some change and handed it to him.

It wasn't after another man shoo'ed him away that I realized his clothes all looked practically brand new. I felt like a gullible tard for believing someone who looked like that was poor. -___-

mlai
mlai
Posted at

I didn't steal money from homeless ppl. I feel pretty good about that.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I didn't steal money from homeless ppl. I feel pretty good about that.
You stole their vowels though… eoe!
You should feel ashamed! ;)

statikpunk
statikpunk
Posted at

i belong to an organization that helps the developmentally disabled and one of our missions is to help the homeless and misfortuned so we have a food bank and we give away anything that is needed from the thrift store that we use as training aid for the disabled. it funny many of the people that really seem like they need the help will take very little and many people that are not that bad off will take way to much, but i don't worry about it, they can have whatever they want there is enough to go around and i dont feel we have been taken advantage of too many times.
as far as people on the street, if they come up to me and ask, and if I have the change I will give them some, because I think asking is the hard part (at least it would be for me) but I very rarely give money to the sign people. (unless its a good sign, I saw a kid once that had one that said "at least Im not a hooker!" he had a big smile and that kid earned himself a buck.) I like to see "some" effort on their part.
on a funny side note if they have a dog my wife will buy a small bag of dog food for them and thats it. she gets some funny looks for that. she sais its their choice if they want to be homeless but the dog doesn't have a choice.(she loves dogs!)

Posted at

Like a lot of people here, I don't give money to people on the street in case they misuse it. I'll generally get them a few cans of lager; especially if there's a group of them. Not the premium stuff of course - something along the lines of Tennents Super: it's cheap but really strong.

Keeps the cold at bay on a miserable British summers day.

json
json
Posted at

this is a pretty touchy and heated subject for me.

i live in austin, texas and we got a LOT of "refuges" from katrina that are just living the life of free money and cheap drugs here. it is quite near an epidemic here because of how the bleeding heart organizations here are so willing to give and give and give and give to people that are homeless. most of the homeless people here are all squaters and they share apartments or homes or camps and the ones that fly signs and pan handle are all addicts and junkies or unfortunates with diabilitating mental illnesses. they don't work or have "homes" because they don't have to. my city affords them the luxury of being "homeless" and living for free off the state.

the people that end up losing everything and want to start their lives over DO. and they fight for it. i work at a hardcore punk bar, and our janitor is "homeless." we gave him a job and a place to stay, and he is happy and greatful for it, and has bettered his life. after a year and a half, he has built his own little empire! being friends and coworkers with him has taught me a lot about the outcast society of the homeless. the other side of it that i didn't see.

i also used to be homeless. sleeping in my car and under bridges. life threw me a curve ball and i lost everything, but i never pan handled or begged. i picked my ass up and got my sh!t together.

do i give money? mostly, no. because i know 99% of them are only going to spend it on meth or crack or pills or booze. the homeles guy that lives around the corner from me, i throw him a beer whenever i'm walking home from the store with a 6 pack or case. but i don't give money to sign flyers, because i know the ones that truly need it aren't going to ask for it. those are the ones i reach out to.

Peipei
Peipei
Posted at

This is a very touchy subject for me as well. I grew up with very little, my family didn't receive alot of help or money, not even from rich family members. Infact, I was homeless for a short amount of time several years back, it gets rough out there :x. Never once did I find myself begging for things at any time in my life. I remember back in junior high, I used to wash tables in the cafeteria for free lunch when my parents couldn't afford to pack me one :3.

If I encounter a beggar, then yea. I'll give them a quarter or some dimes. It's not enough to break me so why not? :s I can't say for sure why I give change even though most of the time, its probably not gonna go anywhere good. But in my honest opinion, one should never have to beg for something they want or need. When there is a will, there is a way :3.

Hapoppo
Hapoppo
Posted at

It seems all of the homeless people migrate to everyone else's states… what, do I smell bad or something?

I can kind of see where someone would voluntarily become homeless - being hypnotized by romantic stories in movies of people giving up their home to go adventuring with nothing but their charms and wits. I have a friend like that, although he hasn't actually done it he talks a lot about going to Europe, traveling the countryside, etc. Obviously, most of us have the common sense to understand that it's all fiction, but some people really need to learn to leave their fantasies in the theatre (And screw you, Firefox. That's the PROPER way to spell "theatre").

Myself, I donate every now and again when the opportunity arises, but I generally try to avoid homeless people in the streets on the rare occasion I meet up with them. Possibly a dick move, but you never know what kind of people they could be.

darko4ever
darko4ever
Posted at

I give them money if they entertain me…
*note to self get some cash*

json
json
Posted at

so, i was on my way to work this morning. i ride the bus, and i passed this guy sitting on the curb. i had my head phones on, and couldn't hear his mutterings. i thought he was just saying "hey" as i walked by, and i took out my head phones as to not be a rude ass and say "hello" in kind.

turns out the guy was just asking me for money. he was dirty and desheveled. i told him, "hey man, all i have is bus fare, and i'm on my way to work."
he replied, "work? why work?"
"excuse me?"
"why work man? it's a waste of time."
i slowed my pace. turned to him and said, "i have bills to pay. and i like having money for food and air conditioning and heat. and i also have money to buy beer."
"aw man, i'm just trying to buy some beer."
i wave goodbye and continue on my way…..

keep in mind this was before 10 am. not to point fingers, but his homelessness is by choice so that he can wake up from his grass bed and spare enough money to buy beer and spend the day f***ed up. he would rather spend his days leisurely lounging about drinking alcohol and pacing street corners for money than doing anything else with his life. that is the path he chose. he is the one who would rather spend his time drinking or scrounging change for the next drink and sleeping under the stars.

me personally, i want more of my life. i enjoy having a record collection and collecting g.i.joes. i like sleeping in a bed with blankets that don't have mites and smell of 89 days worth of BO and puke. i like having somewhere warm to go when the ice forms on the tree limbs. but that is just me. when i was living in my car draped under 3 blankets, fully clothed, in the middle of feb……i wasn't thinking about scoring some change for my next fix. i was thinking "F**K THIS S**T!" so, i fought to better my station. i took positive opportunities to better myself and pulled myself out.

so with my example this morning….no, i don't give money to beggers. all they want is the money to fuel their vices. i'll give food or a beer, but not money. if their lifestyle choice is to panhandle, then, as far as i'm concerned they can go out and earn their money like the rest of society. wash windows. shine shoes. anything aside from holding up a silly cardboard sign.

oldguy85
oldguy85
Posted at

People who give money to charities for any reason other than taxes are the ones being taken for a ride.
Through the generosity of others I survived starvation and heat exhaustion in Tampa Fl. Summer '78

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

I'll always donate to the veterans of foreign wars fund raisers, boy scouts, girl scouts, high school teams, people asking everyone they meet for a smoke because they're broke, ran out and need a fix, and people who may be homeless because of poor life choices or their own volition, but I will NOT donate to people who approach me and seem like they're trying to scam me.

For example: About four years ago I was at Wal-Mart with a friend of mine. While we were headed out, the parking lot was kind of empty and I saw some middle aged, reasonably dressed guy headed in our direction. We didn't divert our path because between the two of us (both in the same karate class) we knew we could take the guy.

Guy: Hey man, how you doin?
Me: Pretty good.
Friend: Alright.
Guy: Are you military?
Me: No sir.
Friend: Nope.
Guy: Well see, I'm retired military (actually pulls and shows me his ID) and I'm trying to get enough money to get to the next town to see my daughter in the hospital.
Me: Sorry man, I'm broke.
Friend: (shrugged)
Guy: Well alright, you fellas have a good night.

Six months later: I was headed out from Wal-mart and I see the same guy, though I didn't recognize him right off, and he did catch me a bit more unaware this time BUT:

Guy: Hey man, how you doin?
Me: Pretty good.
Guy: Are you military?

And then it hit me. It was the SAME GUY pulling the SAME PLOY.

Me: No sir.
Guy: Well see, I'm retired military (again, shows me his ID) and I'm trying to get enough money to get to the next town to see my daughter in the hospital.
Me: Sorry man, broke till payday.
Guy: Well alright, you take care.

Just so you know, the next town is an hour's drive away, about 60 miles or so. At that time, $10, hell maybe $5 would have been gas enough to get him there, but it was his initial deal of first trying to appeal to my sense of comraderie and then hit me up for money. Maybe his daughter really was sick in the hospital. I don't know, and I don't really care. If these people really need help they shouldn't approach me like it's a gimmick.

If I EVER meet someone in this town who simply says "I'm homeless, I'm broke and I've made a lot of bad descisions," I'd probably go to the ATM and give the guy a twenty and buy him a box of MREs to boot.

ttyler
ttyler
Posted at

I absolutely do, whenever I am able. treat people how you would like to be treated in that same situation.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

What annoys me are those hippies standing on the side of the street trying to get people to stop so they can go off with some long spiel so they can seduce them into signing up for a direct debit to be taken out of their account every week and donated to some group or other.

NO.
When I give, I give of my choosing when and how much I decide. The government is the only one I'll let tax me. -_-

Besides, if they really believe that much in their cause, why don't they study hard, get a high paying job and then donate almost all their weekly pay to their pet cause?
What unfortunately tends to happen here is that when people get out of uni, they don't feel like working yet so they live off of government benefits for a while. Doing that sort of charity work gets the government off your back so you can take it easy doing that for a while- never mind the hypocrisy inherent in their actions (the government money that funds their benefits is the same pool of money that can also go to help the truly less fortunate, green projects etc), their life is easy and they can justify it to themselves and others that they're doing good. :)

Heh, I know, I almost considered doing that myself when I was taking it easy on government benefits back when I first got out of uni. ;)
Nothing wrong with taking it easy like that, but don't extend it more than you should.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Haha. I love it when I run into the same scammer multiple times, and it's the same story. I got that a lot in my old neighborhood in New Orleans. Eventually I'd actually get to know 'em and they'd drop the act.

I don't mind giving money, if I have extra, to bums- especially if I know 'em. But I won't if they give me some made-up sob story. If they just need it for booze or dope, and say so, then I'm more liable to toss 'em a buck or two.

Posted at

I'm usually really accommodating with people who ask for money, but I've gotten less and less generous. -_-;

There's a guy near school who begs a lot, and one day I spotted him climbing easily up the hill beside the nearby highway…yes, only when he reached the median did he start tragically limping around! I was all "Gasp, how inconsistent!" XD

My friend's stepdad came back from Mexico City a while back and told us that there was a lady in the subway who was shaking a cup of change with one hand and holding her cellphone with the other. I guess the quality of bum life in Mexico City sounds pretty good, if the bums can afford cellphones and all.

Posted at

I only give money to buskers in the Underground stations when I'm in London. They have to sign up for shifts to do that and they play music and all, so it's pretty much their paid work. I also regularly give to some charities, and volunteer my time for some places. But I don't give handouts to people on the street. Maybe in an earlier age I would have, but I'm cynical and I think most of those guys are running some kind of scam.

Denethor
Denethor
Posted at

One time I drove through Sonic on my way somewhere, got 2 burgers.

The first one filled me up a bit, and I was planning on eating the second till I saw a guy on the side of the street with a cardboard sign, asking for money. I gave him the burger instead. Soon as he got that he packed up and started walking again.

Most of the time, all they want is food.

Posted at

whenever I have money in my pockets that isn't more than $5, I'll give it to them, especially if I see a humorous note on the piece of cardboard (once I saw a guy with "need money to buy a present for Angelina Jolie's baby" so I gave him some money), because that shows they haven't lost hope.

And to the people that say "they did that to themselves", in most cases that's wrong. This is a little off-topic, but once I was discussing with this lady about how people who live in the ghetto's and slumsvilles in New York do NOT have the same chance of going to college as the people that went to my school (which, I hate saying this, but it's a really rich school (the UN is paying for our rent)). She just would not accept that the people where I live are better off than those in Harlem and the Bronx.
Back on topic, that's the same mindset, I don't see any bums in this rich cess-pool where I live, but I see many in the ghettos, coincidence? you tell me.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

If I lost my job today, lost my house, lost everything I own, I wouldn't be out on the street begging for money. I have friends and family and neighbors who would gladly take me in until I got back on my feet, as I've done for many of them in the past. People who live on the streets are there because they either burned every bridge they ever had, or because they want to be there, crazy as it may sound. I saw a documentary some time ago about a community of homeless people living in a sewer under New York, and they were distraught when the city finally came down and forced them into housing and paying jobs. They eventually adjusted to their new lives, and looked back with bewilderment at their time on the streets, but during the time they were homeless they loved it and couldn't imagine a more pristine existence.

My perception of homeless people is fueled perhaps more than anything by an experience I had as a young man selling newspapers. One day a homeless woman came and sat next to me, I guess because she saw I was getting business. She had on this bright red apron with some kind of logo on it and one of those red plastic coin receptacles like the ones Santa always carries when he's ringing that bell outside Wal-Mart around Christmas time. And she was asking people for money ("Donations for retarded children!" was her sales pitch, which even then sounded fishy to me). Anyway, as soon as she'd gotten a few bucks, she went across the street and got some donuts and coffee, then came back and collected some more "donations."

The way I see it, they're all scammers. If they need food, every major city has places where they can go to seek food and board. There are people who can arrange some form of menial employment for them. If they're out there asking people for money, it's not for something they need. It's for booze money, for crack money, for whore money. It's to facilitate them staying on the street and away from productive work as long as is humanly possible. By giving them money, you're just encouraging them to continue with their anti-social lifestyle.

But of course, it's extremely difficult for any human being whose heart isn't made of coal not to want to give something to people who ask them for help, so there's a real dilemma there…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I don't mind giving money to scammers. Everyone has to get by somehow.
I prefer to buy a copy of the Big Issue from the guys selling that though. It's quite a good magazine and those people are actively making an effort to change their lives. :)

Insanity
Insanity
Posted at

I have no cash. So, no.

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

A gave a bum a bag of fried prawn bread once. Thats as far as my generosity spans.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.