Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
therealtj
therealtj
Posted at

So, when is Nick going to make the "Spongebob turns human" series to celebrate ten years? -_-

Posted at

I remember, I was 7,

no wait, 10 years ago I was five. But that can't be right. OOOHHHH, In Australia we probably got Spongebob later than in America, I never had cable so no nickelodean for me.

Net
Net
Posted at

I remember going downstairs on a Saturday morning early, so that I could watch the b&w Abbot and Costello as well as the Three Stooges, then I'd catch Tom and Jerry, the Looney Toons, the Smurfs, the Snorks (anyone remember THAT one?) and a few others.

Hell, anyone remember the Mon-Chi-Chis? I remember being FASCINATED by that as a small kid.

My first Atari came in a faux-wood casing, had levers on the top, and was the most beautiful thing I'd seen to that point in my life. River Raid was an obsession.

… I would have killed in order to purchase an intellivision so I could play the Dungeons and Dragons game that was only available on it.

And my first computer plugged into the TV.

*shakes his cane*

>Net

Posted at

you know what makes me feel old? being 22.

Spongebob came out when I was 12, apparently. That makes me feel a little better (I almost did a double take, cuz I thought I was like 15 when it came out… 25?! SO OLD TOO OLD!!)

The fact that I am now, and will always be older than Harry Potter (book 7 he's what, 19?) is disturbing. (I guess I'm really NOT going to Hogwarts…)

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

I remember going downstairs on a Saturday morning early, so that I could watch the b&w Abbot and Costello as well as the Three Stooges, then I'd catch Tom and Jerry, the Looney Toons, the Smurfs, the Snorks (anyone remember THAT one?) and a few others.

Hell, anyone remember the Mon-Chi-Chis? I remember being FASCINATED by that as a small kid.

My first Atari came in a faux-wood casing, had levers on the top, and was the most beautiful thing I'd seen to that point in my life. River Raid was an obsession.

… I would have killed in order to purchase an intellivision so I could play the Dungeons and Dragons game that was only available on it.

And my first computer plugged into the TV.

*shakes his cane*

>Net

Oh, cool you had the heavy 6 switch atari didn't you?

Also, one thing I've discovered is that a great way to feel young is spend your time collecting and playing games older than you are. So, for me, that's atari and most of NES.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

That long? Why couldn't Pinky and the Brain or Freakazoid have lasted that long? *sigh*

I am cursed to remember all of these crappy series but nothing comes close to the genius of Chuck Jones and Tex Avery. Heck I was the manager of a video department when Barney and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers first came on video and Sega Genesis… still have my Sonic and Knuckles Tee-shirt.

Net
Net
Posted at

Oh, cool you had the heavy 6 switch atari didn't you?

Also, one thing I've discovered is that a great way to feel young is spend your time collecting and playing games older than you are. So, for me, that's atari and most of NES.

The thing was a beast, yes… I *THINK* it had six silvery switches on the top, but can't quite remember.

And if I wanted to collect games that are older than I am, I'd have to go digging in Egyptian ruins and the like. :p

>Net

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

The thing was a beast, yes… I *THINK* it had six silvery switches on the top, but can't quite remember.

And if I wanted to collect games that are older than I am, I'd have to go digging in Egyptian ruins and the like. :p

>Net

Same here. I remember playing computer games recorded on cassette tapes and wishing that one day a Hard drive would be 1 Megabyte. A geek friend (now a multi-millionaire consultant with a harem) would whisper "giga" and we'd say we'd never live to see it. lol!

That was around the same time I was building model airplanes and selling them to the Annunaki in Ur.

mattchee
mattchee
Posted at

10 years… is that all?

I remember the days when Nickelodeon was just OLD re-runs, and syndicated stuff … Would turn on Nick to watch:

The Monkees
Dennis the Menace (the old black and white live action)
You Can't Do That on Television
Mr. Wizard's World (SCIENCE)
Inspector Gadget
Heathcliff
Rocky and Bullwinkle

and Nick at Night wasn't George Lopez episodes from last year, but frickin Mr. Ed and the Honeymooners…

Then eventually original stuff like the Adventures of Pete and Pete, Clarissa Explains it All, Doug, and Rocko's Modern Life showed up… oh and that Ren and Stimpy show. :)

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

Ha, I'm not that much older than Spongebob.

Posted at

Heheh, I watched that tenth anniversary marathon without having that go through my head.
Sigh, I love Spongebob. But wow. Ten years. I was eleven…

You know what REALLY makes me feel old?
When I first saw Nintendo 64 gameplay and it was the most amazing thing I ever witnessed.

Posted at

screw feeling old. I'm 18, Im not old! also, I never got into sponge bob growing up, I always thought it was kinda dumb. But I loved other cartoons, like the bruce timm, batman and super man animations, and of course animaniacs and rocks modern life <3 so so good. kids just dont know what they are missing these days.

herio
herio
Posted at

i was 11 when it came out i wach it now and then but i what it to die

Samota
Samota
Posted at

max steel!! man i remember watching that all the time, and has it really been ten years with that dirty sponge(spongebob of course) yeah i do feel kinda old now……

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

You kids are talking about "old things" that aren't that old.

I watched NEW episodes of Voltron and Thundercats. The TV stations were still playing Thunderhawks. I was entering high school when Power Rangers started. Pokemon was popular when I was a Junior. I got a Super Nintendo the Christmas of the year it came out.

I would watch new episodes of You Can't Do That on Television, Inspector Gadget and I remember when MTV started showing their "strange" line-ups of The Max, Eon Flux, and Beavis and Butthead were fresh/new. Hell, I remember seeing the last few new episodes of The A-Team. Yes, I remember the Mon-Chi-Chis

Born in 1980. I am the true 80's kid. Remembering when you watched Pokemon in Elementary school does not make you an 80's kid, it makes you a 90's kid.

My rule for dating girls is that if they don't remember Thundercats, we're not going to go out.

Sysli
Sysli
Posted at

I'm not old, it's the others that are too young. ;)

Apparantly I was eleven too when it started. But it wasn't shown over here before long after that, so I really doubt it counts. I'll not even beging listing the things I remember from my childhood since a lot of them aren't going to make sense to you guys.

Okay, I'll mention one thing: I remember when Lego only consisted of colored bricks and the occasional little yellow man. No fancy electronical thingies or oddly shaped special anything. The manuals were the best part.

GigaLeo
GigaLeo
Posted at

Jeez, I remember waking up Saturday morning, running into the living room and being riveted by the action packed Video game block of Q-Bert, PacMan and Donkey Kong…
But yeah, Sponge Bob's getting up there too. It took me a *long* time to watch it, the idea of an animated square having its own show angered me more than it should have.

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

i was 11 when it came out i wach it now and then but i what it to die

Same here, my brother watches it every hour of the day. I can't stand more than 5 seconds of it anymore. I doubt they'll cancel though, considering it's basically their only show that gets decent ratings.

tezzle
tezzle
Posted at

I loved it, and it gets a bad rap today, but in all honesty I like the new stuff too. It's one of those shows that's for kids, but it's also got jokes for the rest of the family to enjoy if they're watching it with said child.

I just turned 18 on January, and I hate how people my age are already walking around going "UGH I'm so OLD," because I'm a big supporter in "you're only as old as you feel," and I don't see myself feeling too old anytime soon. However, for a minute or two, when I realized Spongebob has been around since I was in the 3rd grade…Yeah. I felt old.

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

I remember my uncle bringing in a Sega Genesis to our house when I was just about potty trained. I'm not exactly sure why I know that it was around then, but I just recall it being around that time.
I remember being absolutely fascinated by the spinning blue hedgehog in red shoes on the screen and asking him if I could play but I was told that it was probably too difficult for me.

The "French Erotic Film" animation has been around for about six years now.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/127693

I'm making friends with way younger kids and I'm glad that I'm able to give them new stuff to look up. I did the exact same when I was 12, but this is an even bigger age gap. Today I was telling a six year old about Taz Mania when she pointed to someone's spare tyre cover with Taz on it and said "Look! There's a monster!".
She lost interest pretty quickly when I said I could show her episodes sometime. She didn't want it to stop her from watching the end of Flushed Away that she'd waited two weeks to see.

Maybe I'll show her them next time?

json
json
Posted at

man, that game was this shit! i was so excited when we got our intellivision system, D&D, burger time, and bump n jump were the first three games i owned.

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

Oh, here's another one…

The date of the events of "Dino Crisis" is now THE PAST when at the time it was released it was set a decade in the future.

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

"Clarissa Explains It All" was a brand new show when I was in JR High or something…or about to enter it.

Hell…I remember begging people to take me to see Jurassic Park because I was too young to have money of my own. Finally my aunt and uncle took me. I remember trying to watch it and keep my baby cousin, Cailey, occupied enough to sit through the movie quietly with them. She's a senior in high school now and her younger sister is a freshman. THAT makes me feel old.

Posted at

The Simpsons have been around like twice that long!

I'm only twenty years old and I feel old sometimes just from being around stupid ass teenagers. Maybe I'm a little jaded. I just see them and laugh to myself that they're going to learn what the real world is like and then they won't act like they know everything.

Whoops, that was off topic. Sorry, got carried away there.

Back to the subject at hand, yeah, sometimes I feel old when I think about that stuff. But then I go eat a bunch of candy and watch cartoons all day.

;)

Jetz
Jetz
Posted at

As long as we don't think about it much we will be okay… Now when you start pooping your pants, start to worry.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.