Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

If DrunkDuck shuts down, I'll be bored out of my mind on the weekends. :( And I'll probably have to move my comics to my freewebs site. Then again, I still have my DeviantART, so I wouldn't die. I think the thing I'll miss the most is that Cowboys and Aliens game. :p

dueeast
dueeast
Posted at

Geez! If DD went down for good, Due East would survive on its mirror sites (ComicSpace, I'd probably try SmackJeeves and we already have dueeastcomic.com ). It would definitely give me incentive to advertise the new website more!

But it would really make a mess for Off Hours! The thought of buying a domain and server space for an experiment is not very attractive…but on the other hand, it might be worth it if it allowed some great DD comics characters to survive, even in parody. Hmmmmmmmm…you make think…hmmmmm! lol!

I'd probably miss the people here the most, though.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

That was a totally evil topic title.

I wouldn't really sweat it if Drunk Duck disappeared. I have Comic Genesis as my main site. It would just be less fun without the fan interaction. DeviantART kinda does the feedback thing, but it's just not the same.

Jellomix
Jellomix
Posted at

… and leave all these comics homeless? TT_TT

I'd take a break and then continue, but probably with less motivation. It's the community of Drunk Duck that's so amazing, not just the comics and without that sense of community, I'd feel like I'd be making the comic for myself, which isn't as fun.
I would like to host my comic on my own site but I'm hopeless in web making. I suppose I would transfer to SmackJeeves- but there'd always be something missing. Then with that unbearable grief, I'll make all my characters super whiny and emo. MWAHAHAHA. You wouldn't want that. D=

Thanks for the heart attack, subcultured. But I knew it was a prank. Really.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I do wonder if everyone from DD migrated to the same site (like SmackJeeves), would that site become a DD-like community? Do the people make the community or would the admins hamper it?

Perhaps someone from DD with the money, ambition, and know-how would found their own hosting site. (Does such a person exist?) Or just a forum where the community could live on even without the shared host.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

I'd never give up comics. I started this road at age 7, and Drunkduck was something I discovered just 2 and a half years ago, so no, I wouldn't stop. I might use it as an excuse to stop one or two comics and start a new one, but I wouldn't stop.

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

God damn! Okay, so everything's all right? Good

I'd probably go apply for Middle Ground next hiring for Golden Gamers and then move everything else over to Smackjeeves until I get famous enough to have my own site.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

i would wait for it to come back . DD can never realy die !!!

Fenn
Fenn
Posted at

That thread title was not nice.

I don't know if I'd have the time or inclination to go through the trouble of finding a new host that didn't suck, so if it closed down I'd probably just stop my strip.

…why are you asking? What have you heard?! O_O;

Posted at

Hmm. I'd probably search for another site or get some hosting, whatever. Maybe move the whole thing to deviantart, although that would be a bit tedious to read there, not to mention spoiler thumbnails :)

I certainly wouldn't stop making new pages. I already have a script written for the second title that will run after Din Krakatau finishes (or even before it finishes, depending how fast I can produce new pages).

For me, webcomics serve in two ways. First: a way to get better by practicing the art of storytelling, and after that, Second: a way to build an audience for the future printed versions.

Buuut, I'd miss drunkduck too. Despite the annoying things like server deciding to log me out when I want to check stats or going belly up for a day, this site is very simple to use and so far it has worked for me well.

Drasnus
Drasnus
Posted at

I'd migrate in the general direction that everyone else goes to.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Follow the herd. I already have my own site which doesn't mirror what's here. So If DD went away I'd miss everyone, and eveyone would be rid of me ;) . I went somewhere else I could start again with a better story.

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

I would commit (internet) suicide. I'm not kidding. I'd go down into my (internet) basement and hang my(internet)self.

jgib99
jgib99
Posted at

Geez, Sub. You scared the bejeezus out of me.

Anyway, Hopefully the Duck will be around for a long time. Because I really dig the community.

But if it happened. I would still work on my comics. I would start posting my updates on Comic Dish or try going somewhere else. But not Smack Jeeves.

Posted at

What would I do? I would need to put my (under construction for a year) webcomic somewhere. Unfortunately my only option is to return to Keenspace. If anyone has ever had a comic on Keenspace you will know what I am talking about. You literally need to take up witchraft just to join let alone put up one page!

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Well, I'm already working on a mirror site, so I guess I'd do that. I can't imagine giving up comics, it's what I do! Maybe it *would* give me a little more motivation to do print, but I'm pursuing that anyway… I agree with everyone about the community though. It's really good here, not just for a webcomic community, but for the internets in general.

When I read that about everyone migrating to SJ, all I could think of is this guerilla takeover of the forums where everyone just starts talking maturely to one another, ha! How surreal!

Posted at

I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd probably still draw my comic, but I don't know if I'd upload it anywhere. I'd miss lots of people if DD shut down T-T I would probably just try to set up my own site somewhere somehow someway. This topic really scared me senseless. X3

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Not prophetic so much as a symptom of what was happening at the time, as well as Sub playing on his initial mistaken impression of Skool's comedic newspost. ;)

As it happens DD finally got its much promised migration to the newer, faster server. The problems of the site appearing down and images appearing not to load are not to do with the site at all, but the fact that your DNS severs haven't updated with all of DD's new addresses yet :)

Posted at

thats what they get for moving the server to houston.
I broke in and kick the living shit out of it just for laughs.
*EVIL*

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

I'd slash my wrists and videotape myself.

then id post it in youtube.

seedyk
seedyk
Posted at

I would probably have to go back to trying to get people to view my actual website, which is so pisspoor that of the 300 pageviews it has, 200 are my own.
And wait, you have to sign away your soul for DD? What if it's already being held for actually finding a wife and half a malomar?

mishi_hime
mishi_hime
Posted at

Quit? yeah right…

i'll start a new group and buy hosting. that's what i'll do.

Posted at

I would be all like punching my monitor because of this. Then, I will also be loliabusedmymonitornowgottagogetanotherone

Posted at

With or without warning?

If I had warning I'd seriously wanna grab contact information with a lot of people so we could migrate to a new site or service. It's the people that make the community, and the community is what makes DD.

Without warning I'd probably put up a few public notices within the comic itself that rather than lose contact, I'd ask people to drop emails if they wanted to keep in touch.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.