Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

Should I create the top drawers very first Intelligence Thread, only those of higher mind may enter.

…which limits most of the Top Drawer.

WAAAAAAAAAAAARK!

Posted at

Should I create the top drawers very first Intelligence Thread, only those of higher mind may enter.

…which limits most of the Top Drawer.

WAAAAAAAAAAAARK!

Actually, ive also asked someone of a "higher power" about this, and im waiting on a reply. but if it doesnt work out, ill figure something out.

b.t.w. did you just complain about my punctuation addiction, and then scream "WAAAAAAAAAAAARK!"not 2 posts later? please tell me im just hallucinating………

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

OK. This thread actually addresses an interesting subject that other forum posters might enjoy contributing to. In fact I'd say that this thread is probably better than 60% of the ones that have been posted in General in the last 4 months.

With that, I've decided to remove really silly spammy stuff (which I don't have to tell people about because it was posted while in the Top Drawer), and move it to General!

-The TD is not a good place to expect intelligent, respectful discussion. ;)

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Woah, woah, woah, woah… woah.

I've heard of plenty of good TD thrends that started out in GD, but a good GD thrend starting out in the TD?!

You may need a miracle here, oz.

Posted at

To be honest, I never even look at post counts or join dates. How many times someone has posted, or how long before (or after) me they've joined really has no bearing on how I view them.

Someone had a signature on another forum I visit that said something like "I don't care about your post count, only if your posts count". That pretty much sums up how I feel about it. =p

vgman
vgman
Posted at

personaly ive never tried to spam. ive always tried to say somthing funny or relevent to the subject. post counts not really that big of a deal but if i ever get board i somtimes go to the biggest name listed and read their comic(s). thats about all it dose and if the post count didnt change name size id just pull a randome name out of the hat.

I find I can post in a discussion and have something important to say, yet still find my post is completely ignored by the people. Is it because of my tiny post count? Or am I just really boring?

man i thought only i felt like that. well slightly moded. i thought people didnt like me or thought i was stupid. (maby they do i dont know i cant read minds…. yet) any way ozone made a good move in moving this thread to GD. personaly i never go to TD for "intelligent,respectful discussion"

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Hahahahaha! I have the biggest post count on the site as well as an Admin title and people still seem to ignore me in threads sometimes. It just happens to everybody in this forum no matter what.

In fact, it's a bad thing if people pay attention to what I post only because of the admin title (unless it's about something official), or because of the post count… The strength of your post should be what counts, as others have said.

As to why people seem to ignore you sometimes, I don't know. That's just how it is. Rest assured that if no one remarks on your post in their post, probably most people that came to the thread (and remember more people READ a thread than ever post in it) probably DID still read your post. ;)

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

You did this so people could see me acting a fool didn't you!

Fun aside, this was the most intelligent thing ever to step forth from the Drawer in a long time, and we owe it all to Aqua. Which is something I never thought I would say.

Fun aside for real this time, I don't respect anyone because of a high post count at all. I have seen people with a low post count, but they make great threads and have some good ideas and viewpoints on things, such as Fitz with that Lucid Dreams thread. Thats pretty intellectual stuff! Then you get someone like Cthulhu* who has a very high post count, but alot of it is spam. Sure he does sometimes say things that are actually relevant and beneficial to the conversation, but I think I can safely say most of his posts are Forum Game answers and just utter randomness! Not to single him out though, just using him as an example.

If I see someone make some kind of intellectual observation that it is actually pretty clever and actually has some good thought put into it, I will respect them. Although I also respect marine and all he ever says is "also cocks" but thats beside the point! Ozone has in excess of 7000 posts and as far as I can tell, virtually none of that is spam. He also puts his thoughts and opinions into most peoples threads, therefore he deserves to be respected. But the same would not apply to someone else with 7000 posts who only ever leaves irrelevant or pointless posts, with no intellect what so ever.

I rarely look at post count, I just think of how much that person has contributed to the forums with something good! Its the strength of the post that counts, quality over quantity as they say. There are people on this site, and I admit this, that I do sometimes ignore. Because I know what they say isn't going to be anything helpful to the thread. But thats a small minority of people.

(Usually who can't spell and have animated sprite avatars. …Kain…cough.)

One other thing, is that first impressions are everything around here. If you come into the forums shouting "w00t lol forums" and just leave dumb posts, people are going to remember you that way and perhaps not value your opinion as much if you actually tried to contribute later. The simple answer is never to act like a fool, something which I know I am guilty of on many accounts. Just remember, Bekefel does occasionally leave intelligent input!

And as someone who actually hangs around in the Top Drawer, not everyone there is as dumb and uncontributing as you think! Well…most of us aren't. Well…a few of us aren't. Why do I even go there? lol!

(I reply to you Ozone. :()

vgman
vgman
Posted at

(Usually who can't spell and have animated sprite avatars. …Kain…cough.)

is spelling REALLY that big of a deal. i cant spell but if you where to ask my english teachers they will tell you that while i have horrible spelling and penmenship they will tell you that my vocabulary skills are advanced and my oral presentations are always excelent (thank god you TYPE over the internet or no one would ever understand me). most of my freinds cant spell either but that dosent bug me at all. and when im playing games or reading posts in threads i normaly read over the errors without giveing it a second thought. there are some major errors that stop me but for the most part even if a word is misspelled so long as you can make out what it is its really not that big of a deal is it?

the whole thing of "the strength of your post should be what counts" is a good idea so i ask you to consider this:
ive always thought that its not what you say or how you say it (in this case spell it) but what you mean by saying it.

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Then you get someone like Cthulhu* who has a very high post count, but alot of it is spam. Sure he does sometimes say things that are actually relevant and beneficial to the conversation, but I think I can safely say most of his posts are Forum Game answers and just utter randomness!
Hypocrite.

Posted at

is spelling REALLY that big of a deal. i cant spell but if you where to ask my english teachers they will tell you that while i have horrible spelling and penmenship they will tell you that my vocabulary skills are advanced and my oral presentations are always excelent (thank god you TYPE over the internet or no one would ever understand me). most of my freinds cant spell either but that dosent bug me at all. and when im playing games or reading posts in threads i normaly read over the errors without giveing it a second thought. there are some major errors that stop me but for the most part even if a word is misspelled so long as you can make out what it is its really not that big of a deal is it?

the whole thing of "the strength of your post should be what counts" is a good idea so i ask you to consider this:
ive always thought that its not what you say or how you say it (in this case spell it) but what you mean by saying it.

Generally, good spelling does two things.

1. It shows people that you're somewhat intelligent.
2. It shows people that you put enough time into your posts to make sure there are no typos.

Sure, the content of the post matters the most, but bad spelling means that there's a better chance of the post being low-quality, which means I may not read it.

No offense.

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

If spelling is a big thing, then I should be "respected". But I'm not. End of story. Spelling doesn't matter.

Posted at

To be honest, spelling is important to me when I'm reading a post. It's not to say I'll completely disregard a post because of a few typos or mistakes, but when I can hardly read it because every word is spelled wrong or shortened into internet shorthand, I will probably skim or skip it entirely.

On the other hand, I won't pay more attention to someone because they spell everything correctly. I'll just pay less if it seems like they don't even bother to try.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

If spelling is a big thing, then I should be "respected". But I'm not. End of story. Spelling doesn't matter.

yes it does whearas a post with great meaing could be igrnoed by various types of people!!! just cause the spelling isnt so great. everyones perception of the internet is this if sum poster types something with horrid grammar then they are more likley to be ignored cuz ppl with automatically assume thta they are idiots not matter whut they have to say. tis steretype is shuned into ur heads cause of all the ppl that write in a bad grammar and whose posts are of every low qualaity.

its the simple concept of presentation

Posted at

Does a high post count mean that you are respected in the forums?

Post count means nothing to me. Never has. I'm wordy. And chatty. And sometimes post happy. So I sometimes get high post counts in forums I frequent. But if I don't care about my own post count, why would I care about someone else's?

Hapoppo
Hapoppo
Posted at

Like SK, I never really look at post counts unless my attention is deliberately drawn to it. I think it's just fine where it is, though - it can serve its purpose for someone to say in their 1,000th post, "Hey, lookit me! I made 1,000 posts!", but it's not so overglorified that it endorses spamming.

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

yes it does whearas a post with great meaing could be igrnoed by various types of people!!! just cause the spelling isnt so great. everyones perception of the internet is this if sum poster types something with horrid grammar then they are more likley to be ignored cuz ppl with automatically assume thta they are idiots not matter whut they have to say. tis steretype is shuned into ur heads cause of all the ppl that write in a bad grammar and whose posts are of every low qualaity.

its the simple concept of presentation

GTFO.

To be honest, spelling is important to me when I'm reading a post. It's not to say I'll completely disregard a post because of a few typos or mistakes, but when I can hardly read it because every word is spelled wrong or shortened into internet shorthand, I will probably skim or skip it entirely.

On the other hand, I won't pay more attention to someone because they spell everything correctly. I'll just pay less if it seems like they don't even bother to try.

I have to agree, generally those with intelligence would spell things correctly and use punctuation and things. Put it this was, would you value me more if I said:

I wholeheartedly agree with that opinion stated by Silent Kitty, I would pay more attention to people if they typed properly and actually looked like they put some effort into their post on the matter.

Or:

i relli agree with wat sk is sayding!!! i wud pay more attetion to ppl if dey typed proply and tryed with ther posts

Obvious really.

Hypocrite.

Old Bekefel is gone, this is new Bekefel. Pleased to meet you.

Posted at

Did this thread really give you a change of heart? wow. I have no idea what to say about that.

but on another note, do you want to try what we were discussing earlier? If so I'll start the thread, and see if theres any way in hell it will work.

joeychips
joeychips
Posted at

I rarely look at post count or when someone joined. The numbers are to small for me to read without zooming up the page size and then everything else is way too big. That said, I don't have much interest in those numbers. I joined Drunk Duck to be part of a refreshing community.

Posted at

I confess to not reading the whole thread but I just want to give my two cents about spelling.

I'm a horrific speller. However the Internet revolves around written communication. You certainly can't hear this post, you're actually reading it. So I try my best to be reasonable in my spelling and grammar. There are online dictionaries and I've installed a spellchecker so that the computer can check my post for spelling errors.

I wouldn't completely disregard a post if it has a typo or some spelling errors in it but too many spelling/grammar errors really make a post hard for me to read. (This is why I dislike L33T so much.) It can also have a tendency to age you. Most people associate poor spelling and grammar to younger posters.

Sure a meaning of the post is important but you're doing a great disservice to yourself if you can't be bothered to press the shift key more often or check your post for spelling errors.

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Did this thread really give you a change of heart? wow. I have no idea what to say about that.
Now that I've reached my goal (yay.) I'm going to be more serious and… *never spam again.

Except in the spam thrend. But it's allowed there, so isn't spamming there the right thing to do? Is it spamming to create a topic, and be on topic?

* For realz.
Beke, you idea-stealer.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Expressing oneself through text over the internet has got to be very hard…in way a throw back to letters being written and mailed and then waiting for return coorespondence….in an age where image is important it takes a lot to put yourself out there and the only thing to tell or show people who you are is the written/typed word. Not many people put a lot of thought into it. Type away… Stop. Think what your typing. Ask yourself, "How will someone read this?"

You don't have your funny voice or facial expressions to make someone laugh or understand where you are coming from. All you have is words. Good Luck.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

While I agree with your statement about the difficulty of expressing oneself through text, I'm afraid you might not be seeing the slightly bugger pictures. The Internet has enabled us to not express ourselves through words, but with pictures, videos, sound and even through the subtle use of italics.

But of course, this is the Internet, where knowledge and intelligence gets locked up in a cage while we revert to using capital letters to get our point across.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

While I agree with your statement about the difficulty of expressing oneself through text, I'm afraid you might not be seeing the slightly bugger pictures. The Internet has enabled us to not express ourselves through words, but with pictures, videos, sound and even through the subtle use of italics.

But of course, this is the Internet, where knowledge and intelligence gets locked up in a cage while we revert to using capital letters to get our point across.

I guess I meant toward posting in the forums; i.e. answering and asking questions, the dialogue,… where it is primarily a textual format.

marine
marine
Posted at

I feel like Bill O'Riley must feel. I say so much and yell at people about topics I don't know anything about but still have opinions on…

I'm just going to do what I do and keep doing it. People will listen. Who cares.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.