Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

:P Actually, weight's not really the issue at all. In anything but chainmail, the thing is always flexibility.

From stuff I've worn, designed and made, that's what I've gathered. That aspect of designing armour is fascinating! Flexibility is key.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

…then it's imaginary? :P You're right Midge. Imaginary armour doesn't weigh anything, it'd be easy to stand up in. *sigh*

Aye! The Thread is called Fantasy and Armor!

Pixie
Pixie
Posted at

Sadly, your logic is unassailable. :P

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Oi, it's not all about non-protective skimpy stuff, what about overprotective impractical stuff:

That powerarmour just isn't flexible enough to be useful.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Oi, it's not all about non-protective skimpy stuff, what about overprotective impractical stuff:

For all your talk of armor and mechs, I still imagine you prancing around a glen in a hooded cape and armed with a magical crossbow as the dirty little naughty ranger you know you are!

Posted at

yeah, but…the real armour bonus comes from the 2 Jawas and the Gonk Droid.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

For all your talk of armor and mechs, I still imagine you prancing around a glen in a hooded cape and armed with a magical crossbow as the dirty little naughty ranger you know you are!
Well the thigh high brown leather boots are pretty stylish ^^

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

yeah, but…the real armour bonus comes from the 2 Jawas and the Gonk Droid.

Who the Hell makes a "Gonk Droid" outfit? Is there some kinda "Gonk Droid" fanbase out there? Of course, considering how the toy line finds it necessary to make a toy out of every incidental character who appears for at least 2 seconds, I guess the crazy fanboy market can't be expected to hold itself to any higher of standards…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It's the easiest outfit though! :)
Well, maybe there are easier ones, but two plastic tubs atop one another, one with the bottom cut out, and a pair of small air-conditioning tubes and you've got it. You don't even need to paint it really.

RentAThug
RentAThug
Posted at

There was some half-assed explanation in the fluff (that armour is from Warhammer 40,000, for those who may not be familiar with that game) as to how exactly the suit could move without just falling over. I much preferred the Imperial Guard's attitude of "Look at what those aliens are packing, if we get shot we're pretty much screwed no matter what we've got on". Although it might have just been that nobody wanted the budgetary nightmare of equipping several billion guardsmen with anything more complicated than a thick coat.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Heh. The main trouble with that armour, servo powered or not, is that the proportions of the oversised bits make flexibility impossible at the joints. lol!
That pic isn't a good example, but with all of it even a a person's own body joints inside the thing wouldn't line up with the suit's joints, so you couldn't actually wear it… I've seen a suit or two made as costume props that have been adapted, but they have to distort the suits to make them work…

Pixie
Pixie
Posted at

Still looks pretty impressive though, ne? :3 There are actually people in them!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It can :)

This pin-head in his Terminator armour wouldn't work… Even with servos and waldo type internal prosthetics.

This normal space marine armour has been adapted for a prop costume (Space Crusade Ad), the material is a lot thinner, the whole thing is slimmed down and the joints are very wide:

This prop costume looks like it might have been made for the game Final Conflict, for the cut scenes? Anyway, you can see how the grieves are extremely truncated and all aspects ofthe arm movement would be limited…

Looks very cool though :)

—I am SUCH an armour dork!

WingNut
WingNut
Posted at

I've always been partial to the big guys in heavy armor. Mechs and powered armor has always been on my list of "Things I wish I could Draw." I've always liked designs that are much larger than the pilot, and the pilot moves around like he normally would inside. Levers and knobs are all fine and good for cars and tanks, but I think the best mechs are the ones that mimic the movements of the pilot inside.

You want impractical? I'll show you impractical! ;D

-W

WingNut
WingNut
Posted at

That's very Cool Winger ^_^

Heh, thanks Oz! Mechs are things that I wish I had to confidence to draw all the time. They're really fun. And shaneronzio, those are badass! I approve wholeheartedly!

Anyone else out there have powered armor pictures that they want to share?

-W

Posted at

thanks.

I will post a schematic some time of how the girls actually fit in those things.

oh, and that was my nephew in the Gonk Droid suit…he is 5.

He wanted to be a gonk droid.

RentAThug
RentAThug
Posted at

Not quite power armour, but I'm pleased with the armour design I came up with for a space cop story I'm hoping to have time to work on soon.

I basically took a kevlar vest and bulked it out to give it a sense of actually being able to absorb some punishment.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.