Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Posted at

The durability and functionality of a piece of armour is proportional to the number of pouches it sports. Fact. Don't trust me? Well, look at Rob Liefield!*

I suppose, then, that my NaNoWriMo characters are destined for truly epic death-scenes, considering they're wearing honest-to-god, actual armour. With greaves and gauntlets and breastplates and everything. :P

*)On second thought, DON'T look at Rob Liefield. Rob Liefield is made of bluster and FAIL.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

I don't think full armor counts when it's in prose form. Nobody can see the metal bikini anyways, so you might as well be authentic.

Posted at

I don't think full armor counts when it's in prose form. Nobody can see the metal bikini anyways, so you might as well be authentic.

It can easily be described. You just need a thesaurus and a total lack of respect for anything you do.

Posted at

Your armor doesn't have enough pouches to hold things.

they just emenate steroids…

mlai
mlai
Posted at

I think he colored Cable's bionic arm wrong…

Posted at

See, nerds will be pedantic about everything. You show an episode of Star Trek to one and you'll get a list of errors a mile long, organised into separate sections like 'historical' and 'physics'.

Heh heh heh! I fall in the category that makes those lists. Unfortunately, I stand by them even if there's eyecandy in the deal. lol!

Then I came to the point I had to create armor for my three different nations, and I gleefully created something that promises to protect- and maybe be useful in an allout battle. (yes, I'm a geek about this stuff and need to share)

This is the Elves' armor of my fantasy universe

This be the Human one

and

This be the Dragon one, without the mechanical wings.
Females have the same.

It may not be something to cause people to touch themselves, but you bet they can see a fighter through lol!

D0m
D0m
Posted at

For the record, most of the characters in Nadya aren't going to have the traditional large suits of armor. I think it'll make for a more realistic experience. I think it's best when a comic carries a "no-one-is-safe" quality to it…

Posted at

That's pretty cool stuff-plug or not! ;)

Lemniskate
Lemniskate
Posted at

You know, there is this feminist theory about warrior women (or womyn or wymen, I'm not sure…) which says that your average heterosexual white male is at least suspicious about everything that might endanger his superiority, and stong women fall into this category.
So what do heterosexual white males do? If they depict strong women (both physically as well as psychically), they clothe them into very sexy outfits to counterbalance their strength, so that they don't have to be afraid of them. In other words: the stronger a woman is, the more it must be shown that she still is "only" a woman. If she's just a sex symbol you can't take her serious, can you?

TitanOne
TitanOne
Posted at

I wonder when this fetish trend started… probably Conan?
The difference between this and Conan, I think, is that in Conan both the male and female warriors are under-dressed. It's a primitive world in which strength and ease of movement is more important than constrictive armour. For everyone.

Conan's actually quite egalitarian by comparison.

You're absolutely right! Conan…at least in the comics, tends to be 3/4 naked.

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

I always woundered if those kind of armor girls are really brave, or really stupid.

Posted at

You know, there is this feminist theory about warrior women (or womyn or wymen, I'm not sure…) which says that your average heterosexual white male is at least suspicious about everything that might endanger his superiority, and stong women fall into this category.
So what do heterosexual white males do? If they depict strong women (both physically as well as psychically), they clothe them into very sexy outfits to counterbalance their strength, so that they don't have to be afraid of them. In other words: the stronger a woman is, the more it must be shown that she still is "only" a woman. If she's just a sex symbol you can't take her serious, can you?

That sounds logical.

I always woundered if those kind of armor girls are really brave, or really stupid.

CRAZY.

Posted at

There's a difference?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

So basically to mlai if a codpiece is big enough it counts as armor. I didn't know codpiece was a word. Awesome.
Spartans didn't ever wear cod pieces or any undies at all. The 300 was very crap for that aspect.

The Spartans like all Greeks then wore advanced armour for the time. Kirtles made of hardened leather or thick padded linen around their waists, Bronze grieves on their shins, leather sandals with bronze nails in them for grip, a bronze bell cuiras on the back and chest or one made out of thick padded linen, and then the famous bronze helmet with or without the horse hair crest. (the eyes were NEVER square either, like that silly film). Oh and of course the large round bronze or wooden shield, red cloak, and spear.

But a lot of the older armour was minimal for ease of movement because they lacked the technology to make more protective, better covering armour. The other reason of course would be that it can get quite hot in a lot of those places that pioneered the earlier armour types…

I suppose fantasy armour comes from pulp covers from the 30's to the 40's (maybe even the 20s). So NOT Conan originally. There were others that would have had their pulp debuts, Conan among them, but not first. And there were femes in armour like Jirel of Joiry. But the real growth would have started in the 70's with masters like Frazetta and his Conan art, and later in the 80's there where a lot of artists like Vallejo, Whelan, and Achilleos who really bought it to life.

…then there were all the people working for the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy pulp machine, pumping out a lot of stuff… Not all of it generic, but the volume of it did help to define and make fantasy armour what it is today.

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

There's a difference?

I think there is. At least, some one tolled me there was a difference from the 2.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

Stupidity is doing something dangerous and thinking it's safe; bravery is doing something dangerous when you know how unsafe it is.

Fenn
Fenn
Posted at

Stupidity is doing something dangerous and thinking it's safe; bravery is doing something dangerous when you know how unsafe it is.
I dunno, they both sound stupid to me.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

If you live, it was courage. If you die, it was stupidity.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

So people who died for their countries and are considered heroes are in fact just stupid people?

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I dunno, they both sound stupid to me.

Well, I did genearalize it quite a bit for the sake of making something short and quotable. But in the basic realm of "doing dumbass shit", the guy who realizes he's in mortal danger but does it anyway is more likely to be actually brave.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

So people who died for their countries and are considered heroes are in fact just stupid people?
In general, I would say no. But that is a matter of opinion. Especially in these times.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

That's what always amused me about Xena:Warrior Princess, which used to be one of my favorite shows. My favorite character on that show was Callisto, basically because she was pure chaotic evil. She killed anything and everything, and had pure hatred for Xena. But…her armor was completely useless. She showed a crap-load of skin, and yet she somehow never got a scratch on her. …Maybe because after the tenth time she died on that show, she became a god. I lost count how many times they brought her back.

tanya86
tanya86
Posted at

Fantasy armor for women is not really armor but then again men are mostly likely too distracted to fight them anyways.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.