Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

First it was SARS... then BIRD FLU... now it's SWINE FLU!!!

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Since I can't stay out of this thread for some reason, here's another useless post.

Wasn't there a cartoon about 10 years ago that revolved around something called "swine flu"? I want to say it involved some guy who was new working at the CDC and there was this really unhelpful monkey and… well yeah, that's what all this reminds me of.

lba
lba
Posted at

Or worse, its the work of the right wing neo-nazi hitler worshipping, jew hating extremists who also by the way support Ron Paul or Bob Barr or Chuck Baldwin and like to own guns and like to buy gold and like to be independent. And they're also against abortion and they happen to be those backward Christians.

Maybe you've thought about this before kyupol, but how can you be sure that your news sources aren't part of the conspiracy? I mean they're part of the media too. What if maybe, just maybe, they were feeding you a bunch of bullshit to keep you occupied?

Posted at

Yeah screw the silly media cover up that swine flu is a simple case pig influenza that turned into an outbreak because of lack of sanitation, our righteous world government is clearly trying to stop overpopulation by killing the ones that breed the most; Mexicans.

uh… non PC much?

anyways, i would attribute the hype over this swine-flu thing to some serious media fear-mongering, and i don't really think it's something to worry about. sure, some kids in new york got it, but they've all recovered since then. gonna have to agree with lba. more procrastination for us students!

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

My mom is a bit worried for me. She is a nurse, so she always hears medical gloom and doom stories. I told her that if I catch it I catch it. I live in a dorm with approximately 600 other people. I don't think I have to worry though. There have no mass outbreaks of sickness in my dorms in the 3 years that I have lived here.

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

No one has died in the US yet. The only reason people died from this disease is because Mexico doesn't have the technology to save these people.

Posted at

is this really happening?
i was on gaia this morning and
there was a thread about this also :|

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

is this really happening?
i was on gaia this morning and
there was a thread about this also :|
Though Gaia isn't the most intelligent rabble on the internet…they do know how to keep up with events.

Peipei
Peipei
Posted at

Gosh x.x. This swine flu thing is making me nervous these days xD. Not sure whether I should be taking it seriously or not, since there were some cases in my state :x.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

No one has died in the US yet. The only reason people died from this disease is because Mexico doesn't have the technology to save these people.
Yeah, those mud huts they live in are pretty primitive aren't they? :)

—————————–
Back to reality.
Yes, it is indeed a serious problem, BUT if the medical personnel and scientists, and the right public authorities can get on top of this fast enough; it won't be. ;)

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

The main concern is that there is a lack of vaccine to properly combat the virus, thus it's spread to millions of unwashed people seems "likely" to some.

But honestly 1,000,000 poor people dead is no big deal. Hopefully it knocks out some of those quacks that think Zach Effron eating sushi is a big enough deal to flood news outlets. I for one and rooting for the virus, and cosmic justice, to get the job done.

Posted at

Hmm… They now say that the flu has killed around 150 in Mexico so far. It was detected in Britain today and Yakov Litzman, the Deputy Minister of Health in Israel wants to name it the Mexican flu. They're predicting up to 3% mortality rate among all those who get infected.

I'm kinda of curious to see how I'd fare against this disease. Influenza don't seem to bite me. Whenever a case of the flue hits the area I live in, I end up being fine while everyone around me has to stay home for a week.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm kinda of curious to see how I'd fare against this disease. Influenza don't seem to bite me. Whenever a case of the flue hits the area I live in, I end up being fine while everyone around me has to stay home for a week.
Well seeing as the very reason viruses of this nature cause such a panic is that healthy, fit, young, strong, people, -ie, the people who wouldn't normally have a problem- get it and die, I'd say you'd most likely be out of luck ;)

I'm not saying you'd die, especially not with good medical care, but I doubt you'd fare well.

Posted at

I've heard that as well. That's why I'm curious. And that's also what's so perplexing about it. The Spanish flue was just the same. Why young and healthy? It defies logic in my opinion. They should be the ones with the most resistance against stuff like that.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I think it's funny that Mexicans have finally gotten so fucking filthy that they're basically kicking off the end of the world.

THANKS A BUNCH MEXICO!

EDIT: no i really mean it, Mexico is worthless. They're a third world country and i'm sure the bean and rice market is reeeeally gonna suffer if they're wiped off the map whooboy

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

One death in the US now…a toddler. But, young children's immune systems are not strong yet anyways. I would be more worried if healthy adults started dieing.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

One death in the US now…a toddler. But, young children's immune systems are not strong yet anyways. I would be more worried if healthy adults started dieing.

Yes, we had a morning safety briefing in regards to that, especially given we're in child protection; we don't want to be carriers of the disease killing off all the kids in the state.

It's shaping up to be a problem, yes, but people aren't dropping dead from it left and right like they would have back in the old days. I mean, yellow fever used to be a seasonal pandemic and it took years to handle that problem, and yeah a lot of people died but in the end it was wiped out.

Posted at

Hmh. Turns out that this child that died was a Mexican visiting relatives in Bronsville, Texas. Apart from that there are still no confirmed cases of fatalities related to the flu outside of Mexico. I'm starting to feel like this illness has some sort of grudge against Mexicans.

I wouldn't be spelling out the doom of Mexico quite yet lefarce. Even if there's a total failure of keeping the illness in check, the death toll of the population will never exceed 2-3%. It's a bad flu to get but not that fatal. Still.. this could mean millions of dead if we face a global pandemic.

Posted at

Y'know what's next? SARS Flu.

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

These confirmed cases in the UK seem to be edging ever closer to where I live.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Hmh. Turns out that this child that died was a Mexican visiting relatives in Bronsville, Texas. Apart from that there are still no confirmed cases of fatalities related to the flu outside of Mexico. I'm starting to feel like this illness has some sort of grudge against Mexicans.

I wouldn't be spelling out the doom of Mexico quite yet lefarce. Even if there's a total failure of keeping the illness in check, the death toll of the population will never exceed 2-3%. It's a bad flu to get but not that fatal. Still.. this could mean millions of dead if we face a global pandemic.
\
I'm not being serious about their doom. The thing you need to understand about me is I am only serious maybe 10% of the time.

I DO, however, think that this flu is utter BS being exploited by the media, and I'll admit I'm a bit bias and think that Mexico is filthy as hell. Still though, 2,000 cases out of how many residents? It's still got a low infection rate, the only thing to be concerned over is a lack of medication.

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

The UK has upped it's stock to over 50 million of the anti-flu drug.

Hopefully its just a precaution, not preparation.

Posted at

I agree that this sounds awfully hyped up by the media but I do know that we're due for another pandemic. Diseases change over time as they jump species and mutate. On average, we get 3-4 mayor outbreaks of really bad flues, every century. If this happens to be one of them, I say it's better to be safe then sorry. I'm not at all nervous or panicky since I have full confidence that modern medicine will keep us from the worst of the brunt. If The Black Death would surfaced in today's world, I'd expect to see a MUCH lower casualty rate then a third of the world.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

Zach Effron

Zac Efron

PS: "not being serious" isn't an excuse for being a douchebag.

ahh, that's just Lefarce, douching is his business.hell, we all gotta be good at SOMETHIN. heh heh heh.

back on topic. well, there's a suspected case of swine flu in the county i live in, McHenry county. they havent released what state the person's in, so i suspect people here are gonna be freaked a little bit. it's times like this im glad i'm a recluse.

though, i wonder if catching it and getting better gives you immunity from it. i mean the majority of people getting this get better right? maby this thing just needs to pass through. i'm not a doctor and im not sure about what i'm saying, but it could very well make sense i think.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Zach Effron

Zac Efron

PS: "not being serious" isn't an excuse for being a douchebag.

I am happy I dont know how to spell that guys name. Mostly because I avoid celebrity news like you would avoid Swine Flu (BADUMTISH)

Saying Mexcio is doomed in jest doesnt seem too d-baggy to me, but hey whatever. Frankly though it IS a dump, and I'm not trying to be funny about that. I dont care if that makes me a horrible person, a dump is a dump is a dump.

Back on point though: Logically the virus has a high chance of spreading, as does any flu. Keeping stocked on medication is the best way to combat it, and more power to the health angencies who are being extra careful. That's not the bad kind of freaking out.

The bad kind could be printing articles on how this will utterly ruin our economy, or how our children are not safe, and oh no it's literally the end of the world. It could be that the local scare tactics in Utah are far worse than everywhere else I've been, but it's getting pretty insane. Is it like this anywhere else, guys?

News will come on and the guy will say "SWINE FLU MAY HAVE HIT ____, HOW YOUR FAMILY IS IN DANGER - TONIGHT AT 10!"

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.