Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

First it was SARS... then BIRD FLU... now it's SWINE FLU!!!

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

Are we frightened all over again yet… I'm getting paranoid and hysterical here!

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Because we all live in poor underdeveloped countries with little access to modern medicines and unsanitary social habits.

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

What concerns me most is this… does it mean the prices of pig products are going to increase even more? I can't go without my daily pork chop for breakfast

Posted at

This is getting ridiculous.
If we can't even control an outbreak of some kind of sickness, then how do we expect to thrive for that much longer?

-_-
People need to be more sanitary.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

This post is coming from the assumption that you're American, or at least in the Northwester Hemisphere.

Given I live in the south, and in the second least sanitary state in the union, I'd expect to see a lot more people concerned about this, but I haven't heard word one about this save the internet.

Given America's capacity for pork production I don't think you should worry.

Posted at

With America's health care system I'm not surprised that the United States can't control a small outbreak. Yeesh… 2000 dollars for the sewing of ripped skin.

I will never live in that country unless I was forced to.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

It's all I heard on the AP radio news last night at work. It's an awesome catastrophe; some 200 people may have it and 11 have died…

Hello? 30,000 Americans die from all strains of the flu every year?

Actual quote from CDC: "It'll take months to get a vaccine"

Where are the people dying? Mexico City. But 20 children just got back to Australia from Mexico so now it's everywhere!

When all the hosptals are full to bursting and people are dying in the streets and tying garlic around their neck to keep the flu away, I might worry. My grandmother lived through and told stories about the Great Flu Epidemic of 1917-1919.

This is hype. Slow news day? Hey 10 people died of the flu in Mexico! Wash your hands and don't sneeze or cough on anybody. Don't forget that clove of garlic around your neck too.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

With America's health care system I'm not surprised that the United States can't control a small outbreak. Yeesh… 2000 dollars for the sewing of ripped skin.

I will never live in that country unless I was forced to.

Oh, A Canadian. I was wondering who would say that.

humorman
humorman
Posted at

First of all, the swine flu didn't originate in the United States.

Secondly, A few dozen Americans contracting the disease doesn't make it a pandemic. It's only considered as a possible threat because this particular strain of swine flu can be passed from person-to-person contact.

Thirdly, you can't get swine flu from eating meat products.

It's not the government's fault that people are contracting this disease. It's a new strain and unless they tested people crossing the border, it still probably wouldn't be caught until now.

Posted at

It's all I heard on the AP radio news last night at work. It's an awesome catastrophe; some 200 people may have it and 11 have died…

This is hype. Slow news day? Hey 10 people died of the flu in Mexico! Wash your hands and don't sneeze or cough on anybody. Don't forget that clove of garlic around your neck too.
Your sources sound old. Over 80 have died from the flu in Mexico so far and there are cases of people getting sick from it in New York, California, Texas, Kansas, Ohio.

Students from New Zealand were found to have the flu once they returned from a trip to Mexico. It's also been found in tourists in France, Spain and Israel.

There have been no confirmed deaths from that flu outside of Mexico.

Despite the name the flu is actually a collection of Avian flu strains, Pork and Human. Flues that affect Pigs tend to mutate and cross over to humans due to our biological similarity.

I wouldn't worry about it. We get an outbreak like this every few years.

Posted at

First of all, the swine flu didn't originate in the United States.
I'm not saying it did.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Your sources sound old. Over 80 have died from the flu in Mexico so far and there are cases of people getting sick from it in New York, California, Texas, Kansas, Ohio.

Students from New Zealand were found to have the flu once they returned from a trip to Mexico. It's also been found in tourists in France, Spain and Israel.

There have been no confirmed deaths from that flu outside of Mexico.

Despite the name the flu is actually a collection of Avian flu strains, Pork and Human. Flues that affect Pigs tend to mutate and cross over to humans due to our biological similarity.

I wouldn't worry about it. We get an outbreak like this every few years.

As of 0800 Eastern Daylight Time they had not yet confirmed the other 70 deaths as this strain. It is 12 hours out of date. I was sleeping. :)

Most strains of influenza are passed from person to person. Am I missing something as to why this is more important than the other few million strains that kill tens of thousands of US types annually?

I doubt the Mexicans that died even had access to Tylenol. :(

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

news hysteria.

the one thing i hate about my country is freedom of the press.

Posted at

The government of Mexico is saying confirmed case of 81 dead. I have no reasons not to believe them.

I guess the difference is that all those other strains that kill thousands every year, aren't hyped up because they are exist everywhere, thus we're constantly exposed to them. They normally kill only the old and sick and that those deaths are spread across an entire nation and throughout the entire year. This new one is spreading relatively fast, makes young and healthy people very ill and has several kills under its belt in just few days in a relatively small area. Over 40.000 people die from car crashes every year, yet we get reports from pile ups.

It's a standard procedure for the WHO to raise an alarm so they can tackle a new player out there while it's manageable. It's that standard "better safe then sorry" policy that America is famous for following by heart. It may turn out to be one of those bad sniffles we get every 5 years or it could turn out to become the next big plague. In case of the latter I'd be happy to have a head start on it.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

There's about 20 confirmed cases in the US, and more are expected to be found once they start trackin' it, but most of them are apparently mild- only one person's even been hospitalized, according to the NY Times.

The reason a "medical state of emergency" was declared was apparently in preparation for whatever, so it'd be to release funds or get emergency spending approved in a timely fashion in the event that it did erupt into something more widespread.

But access to medical treatment- even just antibiotics- makes all the difference. I had a friend die of the flu because he didn't have insurance, and didn't want to go to the doctor for something that wasn't "serious". :(

Jonko
Jonko
Posted at

People are freaking out about it here in Japan too, even though I honestly think there's no way the flu can make it all the way here. They've set up heat detectors in all of the airports so that they can stop anyone that has a "fever" and check if they have the flu… It's pretty interesting.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

West Nile anyone?

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

i bet they start calling it captain trips

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Swine Flue is nothing major to worry about. Although it's easily spread we have the medical capabilities to properly combat it.

And for the record Mexico isnt as poor as everyone keeps making it out to be. Certainly no paradise, but it's not a total shitdump either. They just like to cut corners, hence it's spread.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

And for the record Mexico isnt as poor as everyone keeps making it out to be. Certainly no paradise, but it's not a total shitdump either. They just like to cut corners, hence it's spread.
True and places in Mexico have a much higher population density than anywhere in the U.S. too.

Oh this thing is something to be concerned about. Vigilance over things like this is the main reason we haven't seen ANOTHER pandemic like that 1918 one ;)

Hopefully the current news hype is evidence that authorities and professionals responsible for this sort of thing are well aware of it and doing what they can to limit the spread. Then it will all fade away like the bird flu thing has mostly done and the ignorant people can come out of the woodwork again and say "there was never anything to worry about in the first place" lol!

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

True and places in Mexico have a much higher population density than anywhere in the U.S. too.

Oh this thing is something to be concerned about. Vigilance over things like this is the main reason we haven't seen ANOTHER pandemic like that 1918 one ;)
I know for a good while there Mexico City was the most populous city in the world; I think now it's Mumbai… But it's still in the top 10 or so; not a good place for an epidemic, to say the least.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Does Vitamin C help combat Swine Flu?
How many FLU's are there?
What are the symptoms of this Swine FLU?
I bet its passed sexually.
I saw a commercial and pigs don't wear condoms.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

http://onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_4631.shtml

Our Mexico City source said a top scientist for the United Nations, who has examined the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in Africa, as well as HIV/AIDS victims, concluded that H1N1 possesses certain transmission “vectors” that suggest that the new flu strain has been genetically-manufactured as a military biological warfare weapon. The UN expert believes that Ebola, HIV/AIDS, and the current A-H1N1 swine flu virus are biological warfare agents.

And meanwhile, virus samples are missing:
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?StoryID=89293

And top microbiologists mysteriously died.
http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/deadbiologists.html

It makes perfect sense. There's too many people in the world emitting so much carbon footprint. And to top it all, all those people are useless eaters who cannot even serve the state properly. All they do is make babies and emit so much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and they cause global warming!!!

Its for the earth! There's too many people!
http://www.scientificblogging.com/a_future_look_at_today/over_population_of_the_planet_and_global_warming

It also makes perfect sense. Selling vaccines is good for business.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/133227-possible-swine-flu-profit-trades?source=reuters

Its good to hit two birds with one stone. Help solve the overpopulation problem and reduce carbon footprint and make profit!

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Hello? 30,000 Americans die from all strains of the flu every year?

Actual quote from CDC: "It'll take months to get a vaccine"

Where are the people dying? Mexico City. But 20 children just got back to Australia from Mexico so now it's everywhere!

When all the hosptals are full to bursting and people are dying in the streets and tying garlic around their neck to keep the flu away, I might worry. My grandmother lived through and told stories about the Great Flu Epidemic of 1917-1919.

Its a psyop. To get you used to being vaccinated and being locked down and being herded into camps.

Its to get you used to martial law.

And let me guess.

In the next few days, the blame for the flu will be pinned on Al Quaeda (aka the tooth fairy) because they're out to get us and they hate your freedom!

Or worse, its the work of the right wing neo-nazi hitler worshipping, jew hating extremists who also by the way support Ron Paul or Bob Barr or Chuck Baldwin and like to own guns and like to buy gold and like to be independent. And they're also against abortion and they happen to be those backward Christians.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Yeah screw the silly media cover up that swine flu is a simple case pig influenza that turned into an outbreak because of lack of sanitation, our righteous world government is clearly trying to stop overpopulation by killing the ones that breed the most; Mexicans.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.