Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

An interesting little topic, I guess. What exactly lead you to the intoxicated fowl the first time you arrived? What made you stay? Why do you keep coming back?

For me, it was back in June/July 2005 and a friend of mine on the gamespot forums started spamming about his comic on here and stuff. He got suspended and the topic got locked, but he was a funny guy so I took a look. Stuff was hilarious, but I can't even remember the name of the thing. I saw a link to the homepage, figured 'What the hell?' and looked at the listings. Old stuff that hadn't updated in months like Screwball Islands and Suicideology got me hooked, then it was Charby the Vampirate, Elijah and Azuu, Vampire Phantasm and Gods of Arr-Kelaan. Then I started making my own comics and here I am today.

So what about you guys? What draws you to drunkduck.com?

Posted at

I started drawing my comic first, and then looked around for somewhere to post it. Since I am completely HTML-illiterate, I needed something that wasn' too difficult - I looked everywhere, but the moment I stumbled on Drunk Duck, I just sort of stuck around.

Especially after I discovered the wonderful comics hosted here.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

When DD first started, I received an email invitation from either Chuck or Spang or someone. I think they were just fishing for people off of the old Top Web Comics forum. Anyhoo, I didn't come here immediately, but after realizing how much COOLER everyone is over here, I warmed up to the idea. It was certainly a lot more social than Keenspace.

Upon my arrival, I was given a laurel and hearty handshake. And I've been here since… what… 2005?

mlai
mlai
Posted at

2004, was it? Volte6 spammed my Hotmail touting DD. I just happened to be looking for a free community site to host my comic FIGHT. Who knew DD would be so stable? I thought it was all over after the big crash, just like my dearly departed Fan Art Headquarters (later renamed Impromanga).

Ed even contributed money to DD, lol he's so honest.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I drew a comic for my friends. Kept the pages in a three-ring binder.

My brother runs a webcomic called The Real N (not on DD) and told me I should scan and upload my pages as a "webcomic." I've had a few websites but didn't want to bother with coding for this, and the bandwidth and space limits on typical free servers like Tripod and Geocities would be troublesome. So I did a search specifically for webcomic hosts, and DrunkDuck was the most highly ranked and reviewed, so that's where I went. – February 2007.

(I used it just as hosting at first, but I felt brave one day and came to the forums – antisocial, self-conscious trainwreck that I was.)

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Let's see….

It was from the web comic list.
I was flaming someone for having a shit comic. And I saw someone comment on them, for some reason, I checked out this person's favourites. I found blip. Checked it out. Then later I saw someone comment on it with a comic, and I was liek "ZOMG A WEBCOMIC HOST I SHOULD JOIN!!!!!1"

And I did.

MechaZeep
MechaZeep
Posted at

a guy had a link to dd at another homestar wiki form.i clicked on it.the first comic was power up witch i hated.soon i came back to look around when i saw another time when dsaster was also hosted by dd.

Posted at

I was on stickam talking to some crazy guy named muntron and he said he had a comic and I had shown him some of my drawings and he said I should do a comic. And so I did a couple until someone said my three panel superhero comic was not good then I quit for a few months. I went and did a bunch of stuff for deviant art and then I came back with my video game comic which is going pretty well I guess. So yay for drunk duck.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

I joined dec. 9th 07. I made some pages for a webcomic and needed a place to put them, heard DD was good and all others sucked, so i came here. Best decision for my comic ever. :3

I hated the design of DD back in 05-06. I always avoided comics on this site. lol!

Posted at

I joined approximately a year and a half ago.

I wanted to find a website to upload my comic. I used to use comicgenesis, but it was too complicated with the ftp. DrunkDuck works a little better for me.

Plus, you guys are much more friendly.

Baconators
Baconators
Posted at

A few years back, a friend of mine started a webcomic entitled Leggo my Ego on the old DD. I read it regularly…and then one day I decided to start my own little comic. So I did, but each strip took too long to make, and eventually I gave up.

Only a few months later, I started up yet another comic, this time much simpler, and mainly using my Photoshopping skills (entitled Smores). It did quite well, but lasted only about 50 strips before I had to drop that as well due to lack of time.

Now I've returned with a new comic alongside a friend of mine, this one definitely for good. I've now taken to posting on the forums, and have found it to be quite enjoyable thanks to this welcoming community.

Although there are some little changes I'd make personally, the new DD is loads better than the old DD in so many ways, it's quite satisfying. I also host my webcomic on Comicgenesis, but as DancingChaos said above, the people there are not as friendly, and neither is the interface.

Posted at

Hmm, what a good topic. I wish I could remember. I remember getting into webcomics early last year and reading a ton of them; one of them must have been on DD, and when I learned it was a site for free webcomic hosting, I told my sister, the artist in the family, and she began writing John Clyde. Then she and I created AROTD. And then I discovered the wonder of the forums here.

Overall, since I joined DD I've learned about many of the other webcomic hosting sites, but none of them seem to have the community, or the quality, that DD does. It's really a fun place here. :)

Dragonizer
Dragonizer
Posted at

On another forum I go on, there was a topic for the webcomics you read. Somebody linked to Charby, which I read and then proceeded to read other DD webcomics. I joined the site shortly thereafter.

Posted at

Ah, October of last year… It seems like almost yesterday. There were greener pastures, then…

I mean… I was mainly just looking for somewhere I could put my comic where my friends (who helped me come up with the concept) could see it. At first I really wasn't planning on many people seeing it at all, but… when I found this place, it seemed perfect. Everyone here is great, and there's some really great comics here that I'm always learning from.

Posted at

when I first started looking for an webcomic host… I was looking for three things:
A good community, a place where they had templates for me and such (I'm horrible at html), and account interface that was easy for me to use (so that I could upload my comics with no problems).

I tried Keenspace and such, but those felt lacking somewhat…and plus some people weren't exactly friendly at all when I was asking them politely to show me the ropes of how everything worked there. plus at the time they were limiting a lot of features that would had made my stay there easier for paid accounts only. So basically I had to pony up the cash to get some of the extra features I wanted for my webcomic.
And I was like "Hell no!!".

So when I came and saw how Drunkduck.com worked… well, let's just say we "clicked together" rather well. ;)

lba
lba
Posted at

If I remember right I found it through yirmumah when DJ Coffman first said something about going out for the comic book challenge. So I guess I came in the same way as a lot of other people as a result of Hero By Night, I just got here before he actually started doing anything on it. Later on when I was looking for free hosting, my choices were pretty much between Keenspace and Drunk Duck and DD seemed easier to use so I chose to join here.

Of course, my memory is pretty fuzzy on that, but I distinctly remember it had to do with me sitting in art class finding a link to the comic book challenge and yirmumah. I'm not 100% clear on the exact relationship of them though.

Now that I think of it I'm getting all nostalgic about that. I miss that comic.

Posted at

I came here back in 2002 after the very first crash. Back then the site was okay because, even though there were a lot of sprite comics and poorly drawn MSPaint crap, they rarely made it onto the main page, unless it was in the recently updated section. Back then the site was good. Minimalist layout, fast loading times, save for midnight, when the scripts updated, and paid features that made the site easier to use.

Posted at

I had an account on here for a very long time….not this account but another one. I was looking for a comic host and I didn't like Comicgen very much. A friend of a friend had a comic here so I decided I host my comic here too.
I remembered a different layout though. I think the layout changed AT LOT. It seemed like everytime I check DD, the layout changes. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.
XD
That was like…3-4 years ago though. XD

I forgot my old username, even forgot what webcomic I hosted here originally, so I just made a new account, this one. <3

Posted at

The comic "Legacy of Kain Laugh Reaver" … i was here when that was out… before the big dd crash too but i wasn't registered

Posted at

The comic "Legacy of Kain Laugh Reaver" … i was here when that was out… before the big dd crash too but i wasn't registered

I remember that comic. It didn't completely suck for a sprite/screenshot comic.

Posted at

I started on ComicGen. I didn't care for it much and stopped comicing for a bit. Then in November of 06 I ran across an ad for SmackJeeves at DA. I really liked it…still do. And then Oct of last year someone on SJ mentioned putting your comic up at multiple sites to increase readers. I thought it was a good idea and I'd heard good things about DD so now here I am.

Posted at

I thought about doing a comic, went to ComicGen but it was unstable and too complicated for my extremely limited attention span. I gave up for a while, then I found a DD comic (forget which one it was) and when I found out easy it was I was hooked insantly.

I have since removed the comic, but I'm glad I stayed.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.