Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

is it bad taste to give yourself a 5?

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

i dont mean sitting there spamming myself with 5s, but…

i got a comment and in answering the comment, i figured…why not go ahead and give myself a 5? is that considered cheating and/or frowned upon?

Posted at

It doesn't count anyway… Look at your comment there won't be a rating next to it.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

It doesn't count anyway… Look at your comment there won't be a rating next to it.
This, and I consider it bad taste personally. Like the author is just full of himself, I think there's nothing wrong with modesty. :P

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

i didnt know that….heh.

and skullbie, i am full of myself and i think my comic rocks…i dont need to give my comic a 5 to prove it…but it doesnt hurt lol.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

well also, if it matters, 5's dont effect your overall rating or anything like that. they're kind of useless other then a tool of reader feedback and looking good….which is what it's all about! B)

lothar
lothar
Posted at

perfectly ok ! repeatedly give myself a 6 or more !!!!

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Yes, it's terrible.
But I do it whenever possible.

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

It's a bit tacky, like organizing a race and then giving yourself the ribbon for it. But yeah, the numbers don't matter in anything realistically. It's just a courtesy.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Modesty is a good trait.
So go through and give all your own comic pages 1 out of 5 and everyone will think you're deep.

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

Modesty is a good trait.
So go through and give all your own comic pages 1 out of 5 and everyone will think you're deep.

HA!!!!!!!!

Willicus
Willicus
Posted at

I don't really think it would make a difference anyways.
I've never seen anyone who doesn't rate a 5.
Usually if I'm not going to rate a 5, I don't rate at all.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Thank your lucky stars that readers care enough about your comic to comment on it. Not everyone gets that. Give youself credit for what you've accomplished. If that means rating yourself a "5" why not? Pat yourself on the back and pour yourself a beer. :)

Posted at

If that means rating yourself a "5" why not? Pat yourself on the back and pour yourself a beer.
Or you could just skip the other two and go straight to the beer?

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

If that means rating yourself a "5" why not? Pat yourself on the back and pour yourself a beer.

Don't skip the other two, but you can start with the beer. Give yourself a "5", have another beer, pat yourself on the back, have another beer, then have another beer because you've had three already and you deserve a beer for that.

Willicus
Willicus
Posted at

I second that motion.
In fact, I now declare this a party thread!
Who wants cake?

Biz3
Biz3
Posted at

Top-rating yourself in one way or another does seem like a self-important and stuck up thing to do, even if your own vote on it means nada.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Lothar's right though, it is hilarious when he does it :)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Top-rating yourself in one way or another does seem like a self-important and stuck up thing to do, even if your own vote on it means nada.

Tranlation: Nah, just a stuck-up pretentious moron, gosh why does he deserve to give himself a "5" when he sees work as so great and I'm superior because I can see mine realistically and realize just how bad it is. (Just beat yourself up. Hell get out a whip and make your back bloody because your work just isn't good enough)

Let me address this as the absolute genius and knowledgable expert on psychology that I am, or "The Smartest Person in the Room" (tongue in cheek)

Above is an example of "pretentious self-important, stuck-up thing to do" referred to in Biz3's quote.

Conversely saying "Hey my work came out better than I expected" or "I like it." can be mentally healthy pats on the back. According to many experts on this stuff (thanks to them for my own fragile mental health) it is a sign of maturity to see it in that perspective as opposed to the immediate defensiveness of "oh he/she's stuck-up". That is not a healthy one, one that which accepts giving yourself pats on the back as part of taking care of yourself and helping to cope with an unkind world.

That being said there is a fine line as evidenced in the example given above. Putting others down to puff yourself up is different from giving yourself the "5" because you feel pretty good about what you've done. Most artists have a low enough esteem that self-positive reinforcement can be very important in maintaining your creative mental health.

After all how many of us would consistently give ourselves "0" or "1" and say how sucky we are?

Well that guy gave himself a "5" how stuck up. Give yourself a break, isn't your work worth a bucket of warm spit and an occasional pat on the back?

Think about it, I might actually know what I'm talking about as I have had to make this long journey myself while striving to reclaim my own health. ;)

I wouldn't wish my personal hell on anyone.

Posted at

Don't skip the other two, but you can start with the beer. Give yourself a "5", have another beer, pat yourself on the back, have another beer, then have another beer because you've had three already and you deserve a beer for that.
I wouldn't wish my personal hell on anyone.
You can wish it on me if you like.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.