Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Posted at

I teach Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver at a community college. I'm also a freelance Web designer, video editor, animator and producer. And I'm a full-time dad to two little girls. Over the years I've been a barman, a salesman, a marketing director, an instructional designer, director of information services for a shady international finance company, a professional drummer and a property manager.

I'm working like crazy to be a full time professional animator, and the rather grueling schedule of daily updates for Clench and Cheese is self-enforced discipline to help me get the work done.

2ndwnd
2ndwnd
Posted at

I'm a faculty librarian at a little college on the East coast of the US. I started Second Wind as a way to unwind after work and to entertain my wife and daughter. I would also be somewhat guilty of using it to help me forget all that I should be doing… like my tenure research & publishing, shoveling the walk/mowing the lawn (depending on the time of year) doing dishes….

WingNut
WingNut
Posted at

I teach Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver at a community college. I'm also a freelance Web designer, video editor, animator and producer. And I'm a full-time dad to two little girls. Over the years I've been a barman, a salesman, a marketing director, an instructional designer, director of information services for a shady international finance company, a professional drummer and a property manager.

I'm working like crazy to be a full time professional animator, and the rather grueling schedule of daily updates for Clench and Cheese is self-enforced discipline to help me get the work done.

You sir, have my respect, and personally, I think Clench and Cheese the Animated Series would be better than Christmas. :D

-W

Posted at

Bank Employee (*boring*)

oh em gee, bank buddy….it is boring but since people are always watching, you can't dick around like at some other boring job.

Roguehill
Roguehill
Posted at

I am a Chief in the US Navy working in a squadron.

So where do I find the time to do three webcomics? Um, during commercials in TV shows I like and on days where the family has left me alone…

I try not to take Family Time away, but sometimes hey, I need Me time!

Heh…

Green Tangerine…I salute you…No really I would have to if you were here! LOL!

Hey there, Chief! ET2 Flora, at your service. I'm a Reservist in a NAVSEA unit attached to Crane Indiana.

Mort
Mort
Posted at

I spend my working day inserting a hollow metal tube into empty teddy-bear skins and spraying huge quantities of synthetic fluff into them to the demands of the latest small child.
In layman's terms; I work at the local branch of the Build-a-Bear Workshop. :P

Posted at

O_o
lotta people here working crazy jobs. I used to repo cars, well only because my main job was giving 600% intrest loans to people without high school educations on said cars. Yeah I know I'm evil, and I'm totally over it ^_^; (well mostly)

had to edit to say: ha ha ha build-a-bear! sorry I hate that stuff, no not you the bears (dear god the BEARS!)

Posted at

However now that I'm 'behind the scenes' I'm surprised at how many of them actually are interested in that kind of thing and are always trying new ways to do things, reading journals, etc. There will always be some who are into professorship because of the research and subject instea of the teaching, but the problem that most professors have when it comes to educational methods is that they're terribly underpaid for their time and they have priorities.

That is one of the truest statements about the area of education. It is not only that they are underpaid, they are also forced to face mixed classes with children needing specific handling which they are unable to do. It's like being shoved into a Level 10 playing field when you are barely Level 2. And that's not the worst case scenario. There are also many cases of educators being stunted or obstructed in their striving for better teaching, or being told to do unrealistic things given time and resources. Their efforts are then bound to fail, which leads them to eventually become jaded, burnt out or uninterested.

…but I am digressing here, as there are other threads for that. I only wanted to say I 100% agree with what was said :)

Rich
Rich
Posted at

I currently work for my old school district as a substitute janitor. I can completely control my schedule, and I make $8.50 an hour. I clean classrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, cafeterias, hallways, stairways, pretty much whatever you'll find in a school.

Posted at

Student/Dishwasher

stardusty
stardusty
Posted at

I'm assuming that even a smaller sized soul crusher could chew through, what, about 70 to 100 souls per minute?

Yes. And we have five of them.

Darwin
Darwin
Posted at

Hey there, Chief! ET2 Flora, at your service. I'm a Reservist in a NAVSEA unit attached to Crane Indiana.

Heh, Small small world! LOL! How's it treatin' ya? Indiana is a long way from the sea (Then again…so's Lemoore!)! HEE! Me I get to go on cruise here within a year…WEEEEEE!!!! No not the Carribean Cruise Lines or Carnival either. Y'know Haze Gray and Underway? RogueHill know's what I'm talkin' about!

LATER!

Roguehill
Roguehill
Posted at

Heh, Small small world! LOL! How's it treatin' ya? Indiana is a long way from the sea (Then again…so's Lemoore!)! HEE! Me I get to go on cruise here within a year…WEEEEEE!!!! No not the Carribean Cruise Lines or Carnival either. Y'know Haze Gray and Underway? RogueHill know's what I'm talkin' about!

LATER!

It gets rough at times, chief! That's why I joined up with the NAVSEA folks so I could at least be doing something for the navy besides keeping my teeth clean! If it weren't for the 2 week ATs we pull, I'd probably go nuts. I'll be doing my 2 weeks this year up in D.C. doing a 2nd class leadership school. Next year though, I'm going to try to get a ride on Fleet Week.
Haze Gray and Underway!! Man, I haven't heard that in a while! What kind of ship?

iagojester
iagojester
Posted at

Doooood, there are an inordinate amount of teachers/ teacher-related people in the webcomic industry. Maybe we're all subcinciously trying to teach people something. I know I am. ^_^

I'm an English teacher out here in Japan-land. It's a sweet job as long as you avoid being type-casted as one of those scary "I like manga and anime and catgirls OMG" people. I have to keep my comicing hobbies on the down-low or else I'll be banned from the very small foreigner population out here. Other than that I get to see my middle school, and sometimes elementary school students outdraw me on a daily basis. I love this job.

Darwin
Darwin
Posted at

It gets rough at times, chief! That's why I joined up with the NAVSEA folks so I could at least be doing something for the navy besides keeping my teeth clean! If it weren't for the 2 week ATs we pull, I'd probably go nuts. I'll be doing my 2 weeks this year up in D.C. doing a 2nd class leadership school. Next year though, I'm going to try to get a ride on Fleet Week.
Haze Gray and Underway!! Man, I haven't heard that in a while! What kind of ship?

Ack, don't call me Chief unless your workin' for me! LOL!('perciate the courtesy, but that's too formal for here! Just call me Darwin or Denise, that's fine!)

Fleet week is a hell of an opportunity if you can get it. Jump all over it if you can.

I get to go sail on that big gray flat top, floating city lookin' thing…I think they call it an aircraft carrier…LOL! (It'll be my third actual cruise in 18 years…I'm beginning to see how lucky I was to avoid it in my early career!) At least I'm not ships company…I don't think I have what it takes to live on that thing most of my tour. 6-9 months is bad enough at a shot.

With any divine intervention and luck this will be my last cruise, and I will be able to pursue my teaching credential and my writing career (pipe dream maybe but it is all mine!). My ultimate goal is to be published with a big company like Tor or Bantam.

Anyway good luck to you…beyond the reserves what are you working at?

Enef
Enef
Posted at

I used to work at a Screen Printing company in my city until i moved, i'm currently out of work looking for something new.

Tip: Never, ever, ever, work for a Screen Printers unless you are trained to Screen Print.

You will be made into the BITCH.

Screen WASHING is nothing to laugh it, that shit is hard work, the screens are at least as big as you and three times as wide, and those are the small ones, the largest screen i cleaned took me and another employee working together, and if those things aren't spotless for the next round of printing you get it sent back and you have to do it again, long days of working ankle deep in a mixture of dangerous to touch chemicals.

I only worked there for about three months and i had breathing problems for a while after leaving, that's how bad the chemicals were, the guys were cool though, we all played PSP at dinner and we had parties at weekends, fun times.

(Info on screen printing for anyone interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_printing )

Posted at

I finally got a new job, night shift at Mickey D's. Lemme tell you, they get a bum rap. Best job I've ever had, pay is better than all these places I went to (Pretty ironic, they said "yeah, you won't be making THIS much at mcdonalds!" well fuckers, I am!). It's like closing the store down for 8 hours, which only takes 2 hours. Smoke all you want on the clock, free food on the clock, bring some tunes in and chill. It's damn rad.

Man, no one here has fast food jobs? Brutal XD Oh well, I live in kansas…what can you expect? It's got the worst job market in the whole usa.

NotBob
NotBob
Posted at

Toys R Us employee. If nothing else it's given me the strength to not punch people in the back of the head when they're being a stupid asshole, which, it turns out, is quite often.
Jeez, I used to be one of them about twenty years ago! Is it still that bad?

I'm now a Civil Servant. One of the ones that Winston Churchill said were neither civil nor servants! I may not be one for very much longer. That's the bit I hate, the uncertainty. one of my coleagues just got laid off and the first he knew of it was when he opened a letter addressed to him. I've put in almost half my life to my job, and now they're threatening me with that kind of treatment. And as for the two year wrangling over our last pay rise… If I didn't love being a graphics officer so much I'd be out of that door before you could say Directorate of the General Staff.

JillyFoo
JillyFoo
Posted at

Full time student. Part time babysitter. Also work during the summer at the local pool. (Doing most of the jobs other than the life guard.)

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

This is where I work.

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

a haunted house?

I wish. It's the basement of the Drafthouse, a movie theatre/bar/resteraunt. The theatre was built around 1939 and a lot of it hasn't really been updated since then. There's also a room with a giant exposed fan blade in it.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.