Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Kitty Cats vs Puppy Dogs?! Who's side are you on?!

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

KIIIILLLLLLLL!!!

Oh wait… It was cat vs. dog not cat verses small fluffy ball. Nevermind.

I love these too, of course. (I have 26 of them right now. *Cough*globaldomination*cough*)

Very little time and expense for quite a bit of entertainment and affection. They play and they cuddle. Since they can stay happily caged, they are less destructive than cats or dogs, much less noisy too. I've had several that were completely house-trained and slept on my bed. Alas, they live only two years apiece. They are not good at scaring burglars, and aren't the best mousers (though they will hunt grasshoppers and flies – and some of mine chase cats). But they definitely get attention if you carry one around, especially if you use a tiny leash.

Oh, and they show happiness very apparently. They will close their eyes and make a puffing/chattering sound called bruxing (which translates to the same as a cat purring). If you tickle/play with them, they make a puffing/chirping sound that scientists called a type of "laughing" which lets rats distinguish between play and fighting.

If you twisted my arm, and told me I couldn't have them and my cat, I'm afraid my cat would be the priority. – But as long as I have time and money, I'll keep them and my cat. If I ever get more time and money, I'm getting a dog too. ;)

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Those rats are adorable. Problem is they tend to attract certain unwelcome houseguests. This is why I love cats. They love to hunt and eat the Brown Tree Snakes that like to hide around here during the day and eat unsuspecting pet rats at night. Assuming of course those cats don't consider unsuspecting pet rats as part of their menu…

Posted at

I found the animal that would make me loving pet owner. I'd just leave it in the backyard. It'd go its way. I'd go mine. And every once in awhile we'd make eye contact.
That was amazingly Cute! ^__^
I know! It was all fuzzy looking and motherly! And the babies were all nestled together like a little travelling nursery!

I don't know what it is about cats and dogs and fish. There must be something wrong with them for the spider to beat them out in the Kawaii Competition.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

It's too bad we can't have one of THESE as pets… :(
If they are anything like wild rabbits (and they are their closest relatives) they would die of stress after a short time in captivity anyway.

I'd never keep a wild animal as a pet. It's wrong. It's one thing to keep them in a suitable enclosure/habitat with minimal human exposure (like a zoo or preserve), but to try to force them into a domestic setting is asking for trouble.

Along the same lines, it is cruel to force a domestic animal to try to survive in the wild. Both for the animal's sake and the impact they can have on the ecosystem. (Animals that can survive really cause problems as introduced species. That's why some places have a LOT of laws regarding what animals can be kept as pets.)

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I couldn't have them as pets where I live anyway. The heat would kill them. And since they're in danger of dying out thanks to our current climate, well… :(

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

I have both a cat, a kitten, and a dog that still retains that puppy cuteness, so I don't know why anyone would argue about it. They all are very lovable!

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

This:
I've always been a cat person, and I love dogs too, but ferrets are at the top of my list with the 7 wonderful years I had with this dear creature pictured here. I miss her so much!

gigatwo
gigatwo
Posted at

I just wanted to break the whole "me not posting for almost a year and a half" cycle just to post this image. ( I can't get a hedgehog though.)

Also, my dog is odd , but the one that we had for a while before him could beat any cat in a cuddliness contest paws down. For real, I loved that dog.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

They're cute in bunches too…

And speaking of spikes… These dear pig things look evil:

And these are about as massive as you can get for head ornaments…

-That cow is a pet believe it or not and those horns are 100% real.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

I'm going to post some pics of my cat and dog later on, but for now I would like to show a funny show, in which a london guy makes cartoons about his cat. Very good, i think it describes a cat well, and in a funny (not mean type of funny, but just funny) way. Enjoy.
Now this isn't my bulldog, but it just looks real cute, so I am posting the pic here:

Posted at

Have both and love them both. :)

Me too, I love both. (But I only have dogs, my cat died a while back.) They both are cute and cool for different reasons.
Why aren't there more "I love cats AND dogs" people in the world? When will this horrible war end?! =(
Even though i've never had a dog i still like them a lot
i prefer small dogs but big dogs don't phase me

I have two kittens,one is hyperactive constantly and the other is a fat lazy and always wants your attention (and will not think twice about sitting on your face if you ignore her)

where are all the other gerbil lovers?

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

We had a hedgehog (African Pygmy Hedgehog) when I was a kid. She was interesting and cute, but not much fun to pet and completely boring. She was like a pet rock you had to feed and clean up after.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yeah, some pets don't make good pets.

I've had a few bunnies and they're not that demonstrative. They don't really take on human attributes the way cats and dogs do. They can take on the attributes of cats and dogs and things though if that's who they hang out with a lot… To a minor extent.
They close their eyes sometimes when they like being stroked and they'll even sometimes lick you… but that seemed to be the limit as far as I can remember. Mostly rabbits are wholly just rabbits, and not really a domestic animals at all.

They like to thump their big feet loudly on the ground, grunt a lot, charge and head-butt things with their little bullet heads. At least that's the way my little territorial Peter Rabbit liked to rule over the backyard, attacking cats. -Who regarded him as a dangerous natural feature (not a fellow creature), like an angry rock or something.
Female bunnies seem more placid but no more communicative.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I really wanted a hedgehog for a while when I was a kid. They had some when I was at camp one year and I thought they were just adorable. Never got one, but I ended up with my awesome dog and two cats so I guess I can't complain. :)

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

My family had a crapload of pets in the past two decades. Note that the majority we've ever had at one time were either fish or rabbits. But we've had mice, clown loaches, gold loaches hamsters, goldfish, guppies, platys, plecos, koi, rabbits, neon tetras, gourami, angelfish, frogs, toads, newts, caterpillars, dogs, a cat, guinnea pigs and that isn't even ALL of them!

At the moment we just have five goldfish, the cat and two dogs. My parents wouldn't let me have another cat anyway so when my 20th rolled around I was allowed to get a Jack Russell pup. He's a year old now and still not 100% toilet trained… He can open doors, understand commands like "paw", "sit" and "lie down" through hand signals alone and emotionally blackmail, though.
My mum and sister think he's stupid but my dad and I know better.

Despite the menageries I've had over the years I have always wanted a snake. And if my sister leaves the house for more than a month to live somewhere else I'm gonna nab myself a corn snake. Just wait and see. Lol.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Jack Russels are bad widdle doggies -_-

I read a while ago that more injuries are reported by them than any other dog in Australia, and we have some pretty vicious dogs here. So be careful to train your little doggy well, they're nasty little mites. At a stable I used to go to they had one, he used to attack the horses so they had to keep him locked up until they could find another home for him.

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

My dad went to school with our old vet up in Scotland and he has a scar on his hand that was put there by a jack russell. He gave us the helpful advice that they are either "Nice wee doggies or canine psychopaths."

Luckily both of ours are the former.

And you wouldn't believe how many people like them in the UK. There have been multiple times in which random people have just come up to us to praise our choice of dog and fuss over them.

The new guy gets less now, though. He's too damn loving that he scares everyone away with his jumping up and clawing at their legs for attention.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

Still not taking sides, but I just thought I'd show that both are lovable. I will show my dog first, seeing as he is my first pet. His name is Winston, here he is:

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

That is a super cute puppy, Mettaur! :)

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

He looks just like a real dog, only liquified.
I like german shepherds.

The dog I currently have is called a heidewachtel.
It looks a bit like this, only smaller.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.