Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

I named myself Puff of Smoke because I used to be a spritecomicfag. I used to have a puff of smoke sprite thingy.

But now, I hate sprite comics. So the name might aswell be random. I don't smoke. I'm no chimney sweeper.

Posted at

Curse you HOLLYWOOD!!! Curse you for putting romanticly creepy thoughts into my head!
Heh. Don't worry. You're still far from becoming this guy.
Yeah. Still don't know if I should change it or not. $$PoorBoyBlues$$, DeathFromAbove, AIDS, STDS were all usernames I used before.

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

I just chose this user name because I like Walruses. And for the record, my name isn't Ben Robinson, it's a pen name. I'll never reveal my true identity, I'm too paranoid.

Posted at

I just chose this user name because I like Walruses. And for the record, my name isn't Ben Robinson, it's a pen name. I'll never reveal my true identity, I'm too paranoid.

What made you pick Ben Robinson as a pen name?

Posted at

I always try to use machinehead for my user name. It's my favorite name and it's easy for me to remember. I'm pretty sure my name would be easy to remember too. But I like the band better.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

(back a bit) I can't roll my r's. Never have been able to after three years of Spanish class. But my teachers never learned that I couldn't. Instead of using my tongue, I would vibrate the back of my throat (like a singer's vibrato) and it sufficed. Even got compliments on it. Compared to a native, everyone would know that my r's are fake…but I don't have that worry.

(to FGM) Sorry man. Could be worse. My boyfriend (then just lunch buddy) told one of my closish friends that he was going to ask me out. And she told my math teachers. When I went to class that day they had a superior look on their faces. "So, Clara, I heard someone is going to ask you out to the Band Banquet…" I laughed about it with him and some other friends and he lost his nerves…I asked him out a year later to the band banquet. And the only person that knew beforehand was my mom. (Since she was the one pestering me to.)

(Back to the actual topic of this thread) Also, Niccea comes from the name of one of my favorite book characters. Only her name was Nicci. I just refined it a little.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

my mom named me Pit-Face on account of the b.o. problem i was born with.

Posted at

Not much of a long story on where we got this name but when we were still in high school, we were put under Year 3, Section 7 named 'Sagittarius' and probably the most wackiest section ever. Ah, memories indeed and no, it's not our zodiac sign, we're both Gemini. ;)

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

wait, there's two of you?…or more?

Posted at

My real name is boring. Plus, using a different screen name for everything lets me get away with a lot more.

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

What made you pick Ben Robinson as a pen name?

I don't know, because Ben isn't a very popular name. I got Robinson from the first African American major league baseball player, Jackie Robinson.

lba
lba
Posted at

S'far as I've able to tell, that's just a weird being weird thing. I think the guy is just referring to himself in the plural. We have a couple people who poke their head in around here who do it. I haven't figured out why yet.

Posted at

S'far as I've able to tell, that's just a weird being weird thing. I think the guy is just referring to himself in the plural. We have a couple people who poke their head in around here who do it. I haven't figured out why yet.
Actually, if you bother to look up the profile you'll find out that those are twins sharing an account.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

Actually, if you bother to look up the profile you'll find out that those are twins sharing an account.

guess next time i'll bother then.

just thought this person was kinda new…ehr…people….
maby they had somethin interesting to say about it.

lba
lba
Posted at

I missed that. Then again, a couple of the other people on DD I've seen who refer to themselves in the plural, and are one person, have that they're more than one person on the profile page, so I probably did see it and just thought it was the same thing going on.

Posted at

Well, my old web persona was "That Person", which I kept for two years. You would not believe how many time's I heard "Oh look it's that person!" "You mean that person?" "No! THAT person!!1", which needless to say got old fast.

So, I decided to go with one of my ideas I had for a band name (Not that I have one. Just one of those "I wish" kind of things. I'm interested in starting one if and when I learn an instrument, though), which I kept because I liked it, but didn't seem very band like. So, I'm now "Flamboyant Pencil".

My screen name here is "FlambUyant" because apparently "Boy" is inappropriate? However, "Girl" is not. Subtle sexism? I think yes. :|

Posted at

My lizard bit me on my middle finger once.

It left a neat looking scar.

Thus, my internet alias was born.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

No Scandinavian would pronounce Einar like "eye-nar". Written down, that pronunciation would spell "Ænar". Einar is a strong warriors name ("one who fights alone"/"an army of one" type of stuff) and thus it's pretty popular to be given to boys in Scandinavia. The Norwegian/Swedish/Danish pronunciations are similar to the Icelandic one. It's always English speakers who end up saying my name like that however it's relatively close to my name so I accept it when I'm addressed in that way. I'm assuming that most others who share my name have done the same which is why you've end up hearing that it's spoken like that.

Hmmm, probably why the same person is called Ainar in some works. As for only knowing how Old Norse was written not prounounced: don't tell J.R.R. Tolkien that it was one of the languages he could speak fluently (not just write) and had conversations in it with his fellow academes.

Yeah I hate how every name is translated into English by English speakers. Katerin, Istevan, Pyotr, Carol yet French names are kept the same. Catherine, Etienne, Pierre, Charles… Annoying. Damn Normans adding all that French to a wonderful Germanic language. (Old English or Anglo-Saxon another language Tolkien could speak fluently…) lol!

My sister-in-law always calls me Etienne.

Back on track: I have another screen name which is Sgtgroucho. When in leadership school on the first day another sergeant said I reminded him of someone. Fifth day there, we're all in camouflage facepaint, he comes up to me and yells: "Groucho! Groucho Marx! That's who you remind me of!"

I'm so used to typing bravo1102 that I forget to use the other name. This way from all the boards I'm on as Bravo1102 people can find me. No one's bothered to look. lol!

Posted at

Don't tell J.R.R. Tolkien that it was one of the languages he could speak fluently (not just write) and had conversations in it with his fellow academes.
Well, no offense to Mr. Tolkien but that's like saying that you speak Latin fluently.

You can "speak" it, but you're essentially guessing how it sounds like. If I pick up a Faroese book and try to read it, I'd think it was Icelandic with grammar and spelling errors. When I hear a Faroese speak, it's totally different.

I'm actually reminded of the movie Stargate now. Daniel Jackson was like an expert in the old Egyptian language but when the went to a planet that actually spoke it, he couldn't understand a word of what they were saying until he learned their pronunciation.

Jonko
Jonko
Posted at

My username was my nickname since I was in 7th grade. I had John Lennon glasses and everyone called me John so I got mad and made them call me "Jonko" instead.

It's kinda been my second name ever since. Most of the guys that I knew in High School don't know that my actual name is Erika…

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Because of the Catholic Church having it's liturgy in Latin, Latin pronounciation has remained steady since the Early Middle Ages. Since Latin was spoken by scholars but not as an everyday language for 2000 years, pronounciation has also remained constant. Any language where direct anceators are still spoken the pronounciation can be figured out over time. It's like Parisan French versus Quebecois. You'd be speaking the formal version of the language not the colloquial version.
Ancient Egyptian had been dead for a few millenia years before he tried to speak it. He was speaking a dialect based on modern Egyptian which has been contaminated with Arabic.
You couldn't pronounce Etruscan, Cretan Greek or Sumerian. However, an extensive grounding in Semetic languages would give a very close approximation for the last language.

It's like I said about names in other languages being translated into the pronounciation of another language. There is also no accounting for dialect. Try listening to the pronounciation of a native of Massachusetts, Virginia and Michigan. Very different but all the same, so you can find out a language's pronounciation of at least one dialect. For different languages try Portugese and Spanish and Italian (Russian, Beyelorus and Ukrainian). Completely different but mutally understandable with a good ear. It also helps that all three use the same alphabet.

It could also be developing an ear for languages. Listening for the similarities, picking up on them and learning it. Tolkien could do that. He probably would have surprised you.

Posted at

meh.
i use my first name for everything,
so i decided to use a lyric from
one of my favourite songs.

therealtj
therealtj
Posted at

Although it's not my real name, most of my friends and family actually call me TJ, and since that is to short to register, and it probably would've already been registered by a fake TJ if it was, I just added "The Real" on it. So I suppose it's kind of both.

Posted at

…It could also be developing an ear for languages. Listening for the similarities, picking up on them and learning it. Tolkien could do that. He probably would have surprised you.
I've always wished I could have met him. I've would have liked to talk to him about the Sagas since he was an expert on that subject. He took allot from those stories when he created the Lord of the Rings.

It's funny you mentioned the Massachusetts accent. I go there allot and know that accent well. I'm always making fun of the Boston accent.

I suppose since we have so many Scandinavian languages to study and since I mentioned that Icelandic has been practically unchanged for over 1000 years it's properly not too hard to assume how Old Norse may have sounded like.

Well I'm gonna drop this now since we're derailing the topic a bit.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.