Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

A certain DDer left a crap comment or two on my comic strip, after dropping some preliminary faint praises here and there across my pages, and I have decided to leave them in place because they make me laugh.

Yeah – mind you, they shouldn't make me laugh, but they do. I obviously have a warped sense of humor.

Ha. Well I like your strip; but I'm inclided towards "random" humor. You know, if I don't care for someone's work, I just don't comment. Seems reasonable. But if you've left them up, I'm totally going straight to your strip to read them. ;)

The funniest thing like that I ever got was via my MySpace page (I know; MySpace, right? It's positively ghastly). This random sorority-looking girl decided to send me a message that said something to the effect of "Hyena Hell" being a fitting name for me, on account of my looking like some creature from hell. And that I should ditch the "goth/emo/hyena" look and go to a nice spa or salon. All this she got from a photo. I wrote her a lovely email back, thanking her for her advice. I think I enjoyed the fake nice reply almost as much as the hilarious original post.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

I was thinking about seeing how many DDer's might be interested. But I also found a site that already does sticker exchanges on a massive scale called bombit!. I guess I'm up for it if people want a couple. It's kinda like free advertising or something, since I haven't put much money out of pocket into it.

I'm always up for mail exchange. I'd have to buy some sticker paper, though. One of the best collabs I've done was a printmaking postcard exchange, where each artist printed an edition of X ammount of postcards, mailed them off to each participant, and in turn received original artwork postcards from everyone else.

Posted at

woot! i met a dream girl last night at a bar.
hoping it all works out…

Posted at

woot! i met a dream girl last night at a bar.
hoping it all works out…

nope. it didnt work out :(
oh well, back in the saddle again.

lba
lba
Posted at

I'm always up for mail exchange. I'd have to buy some sticker paper, though. One of the best collabs I've done was a printmaking postcard exchange, where each artist printed an edition of X ammount of postcards, mailed them off to each participant, and in turn received original artwork postcards from everyone else.

If you have decent paint pens that are truly opaque, the post office is the best source of stickers in the world. They ship them to you at no charge whatsoever if you like tha handmade route of sticker art. I have several rolls sitting in my apartment that I got sent to me on a whim a while ago. Otherwise, I found that Staples has packs of about 100 for something like $30. Everywhere else is ghastly expensive.

Maybe I'll go ahead and make a thread for a DD sticker exchange. Just have to figure out where it would be best to put it.

Posted at

The networking forum would be the best place for that.

lba
lba
Posted at

I was debating between that and Art/ Lit. So Networking forum it is.

Posted at

Oh hey, thanks for the visit Hyena H_ll. I appreciate the comments you left today. Oh, and sometimes it amazes me what people think is appropriate to leave on other people's sites. I once had a person solemnly explain to me why I shouldn't be cartooning at all [this was several years ago]. It was wild. I also left it in place. Other visitors thought it was a hoot.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I've had a migraine headache for two days straight now… Codeine isn't working. Stronger pills are currently easing it just enough to be tolerable. I've spent almost all my time in bed. What a shit weekend :(

JoeL_CQB
JoeL_CQB
Posted at

I've had a migraine headache for two days straight now… Codeine isn't working. Stronger pills are currently easing it just enough to be tolerable. I've spent almost all my time in bed. What a shit weekend :(

i find water to be a cure for most of my problems. :P

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i've been reading thru old posts, and journals, and the like. and found that i've always been aware of my problem to focus. i'm afraid that if i go to a doctor, that if there is medication for this. that it would change who i am. all my friends have always pointed out my randomness as the best part of my character. if i changed taht. where would i be? who would i be?

man, i hate playing the what if game.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

i find water to be a cure for most of my problems. :P
Drink too much water and you'll get a headache that will literally kill you ;)

Anyway, after those last much stronger pills, the headache finally left. Phew! But there really isn't any of my weekend left to do anything. :(

Senshuu
Senshuu
Posted at

Whiskey in any amount makes my stomach hurt.

But it's good with Irish cream… (or whatever the hell it was I drank)

I don't like alcohol, just sip a bit at parties.

Posted at

My rant for today?

Being stuck in a ditch for several hours, and then paying 150 dollars to be pulled out of it.

Scheiden
Scheiden
Posted at

Christmas break, and I'm finally drawing the things I want to draw. Like animu, perspective, different body poses and yuri. Still can't update my comics though. I'm still waiting for my mother fucking tablet. I'm not updating but I'm drawing the pages as fast as I could. I have like 20 pages needing some editing right now. Meh I won't sacrifice quality for quantity.

K, I have to go to the doctor nao. Man I miss this site. Two months of whoring over college is tiring as hell.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i started to redo Ninja wedding. i think it's something i needed to do. i have redone the first 4 pages. and later today, i'm going to sit down and turn the story into a book. that way the script is better and more thought out than previous attempts… all one of them.

i spent 12 hours alone. i only took one bathroom break, and i didnt sleep. this kind of work sucks. but it could always be worse. i wish i could have visited drunk duck or something, but no.

and also, what do you do when you hold to an ideal, but then you're given one piece of true information, that changes your side. and not just changes it, but effects (affects?) how you percieve the person or entity that had given you the story. i mean, what else are they lying about?

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Two rants:

I'm at my folks' place for the holidays, and forced myself to leave all my drawing stuff at home so I could do the "family thing". I'm totally regretting it, and might be experiencing withdrawl symptoms. I can't remember the last day I spent without drawing. I guess there's always note tablets and napkins.

Also: Yeah, I'm sure I could drive 80 mph through the mountains, too- if I ignored the demarcation of lanes. If your extended-cab, gas-guzzling truck can't handle the hairpin curves, maybe you should slow the hell down instead of taking your half out of the middle and just about running me off a cliff.

Posted at

and also, what do you do when you hold to an ideal, but then you're given one piece of true information, that changes your side. and not just changes it, but effects (affects?) how you percieve the person or entity that had given you the story. i mean, what else are they lying about?

That happened to me a few months back. But a few days ago, I suddenly remembered this really funny thing that happened to us once and started laughing, and suddenly I just felt the disillusionment leave me. It was surreal.

So, maybe it helps to wait until the feeling fades a little, then remember good things you've shared with that person?

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

I finally have usable shoes!!!!

However, my back is killing the fuck out of me… My family wants me off work ASAP on Christmas Eve and there's a chance that just is NOT going to happen. Sorry, but in my line of work there is no, "Hey, I know we're busy and it's Christmas Eve, but my family wants to have the day together, so…no matter how many calls for service we get I'm taking off at 3PM!" They need to just fucking deal with it.

On a lighter note…after I'm done with my current project (Game Ranger: Session 3), I'll be remaking the entire Mortal Kombat movie using sprites in Flash. Epic. I know.

lba
lba
Posted at

So yeah, on the happy note, I got my first gallery showing with my own area and things turned out pretty well. ( 1 room out of 3 in the gallery. ). I sold a couple pieces and made enough that I can get through next semester.

On the depressing side, someone with a beef against graffiti and stencils took a wide-tipped marker and wrote "get a job FAG!" all over the most valuable piece in the show and slashed two others with the marker. That one piece took me over 40 hours and 20 different stencils to complete, not counting the time it took me to scrape down the board and prime it properly. It was going to be a gift to my host family in Japan for the holidays because I wanted to send something special and art was all I could afford to give to anyone. I still have the stencils and I can make it again, that part doesn't bother me, but I've got really mixed feelings since it kinda stings that someone hates what I do that much to do it, but at the same time it kind of means that I'm getting to someone and it validates me as gaining some sort of a reputation.

Blech, laptop mouse pad is acting up too.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

So yeah, on the happy note, I got my first gallery showing with my own area and things turned out pretty well. ( 1 room out of 3 in the gallery. ). I sold a couple pieces and made enough that I can get through next semester.

On the depressing side, someone with a beef against graffiti and stencils took a wide-tipped marker and wrote "get a job FAG!" all over the most valuable piece in the show and slashed two others with the marker.

1. Congrats! That's exciting!

2. Okay, that's pretty major. I'd probably be preparing a lawsuit (okay, an angry mob with torches and pitchforks) if I were in your shoes. Did they ask you for insurance values on any of your work? Most galleries I've shown at have a contract that states they're responsible for (at the very least) the saftey of the work as long as it is exhibited on their property. Usually you can get at least part of the "sale price" back if the work is damaged. Sometimes you have to be able to prove that you do sell work for that price, but if you sold pieces from that gallery, then it shouldn't be a problem.

lba
lba
Posted at

The pieces I sold were a couple smaller versions I make for the budget shopper by pasting a small copy of the stencil on a smaller board and they were a fraction of the price so I can't prove much on the price point, but the gallery has a videotape of who did it and they're going to file a police report and they're being nice to me, since they want me to come back, so they offered to give me 1/2 of the price of the painting and whatever other compensation there might be if they take the guy to court.

Sticker & Art Exchange thread is up in Networking.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

That happened to me a few months back. But a few days ago, I suddenly remembered this really funny thing that happened to us once and started laughing, and suddenly I just felt the disillusionment leave me. It was surreal.

So, maybe it helps to wait until the feeling fades a little, then remember good things you've shared with that person?

this'd be easier if it was a person i could do that with. i wish i could be more specific. but yeah, there's a level of trust they aint getting back.

i worked 12 hours today, and reminded myself why i'm afraid of puppets…i watched some movie called dead silence or something…it's about a ventriloquist dummy that is killing people…

it's not great to be locked inside a giant room, watching that movie, when you're already afraid of puppets….

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.