Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

How many comics are on here? Can you read every single one? Can you read a majority?

Face it people like what others consider shite. You can't please everyone. There may be some fabulous stupendous comic that updates rarely and you can't or won't find.

Money, lots and lots of money works just as well as oral sex. Wasn't some awful fantasy comic illustrated with action figures featured months and months ago? (it had lesbian sex too!)

zaymac
zaymac
Posted at

You know, I'm frustrated too. I think my comic should be featured again, just because it is awesome! Can anyone make that happen for me?

elektro
elektro
Posted at

You know, I doubt my comic will ever be featured, but I don't really care if it is or not. I just enjoy making it for people to view, and if even only one person sees it in a week and likes it, well, that's more than enough for me. I just wish I knew more about advertising, though.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

allright,im sorry. i'll stop.

Posted at

skully: i think most of cru's views come from a WOW site

Posted at

Hm. Well, first of all, I have never heard of Bob and George.

Second of all, I've re-made my comic approximately 7 times (pretty much completely re-doing it every single time), and put in hours of work changing my style from boring to something that you can actually enjoy to look at.

I spend about 8 hours or so per page, and I'm not exaggerating. That doesn't even count the time it takes to edit on the computer, or write down the script. There are times when I turn down hanging out with friends just to work on my comic. Why? Because I love it. I love it a lot.

And I'm pretty sure, if you look at my comic, I don't believe it's a pokemon sprite comic. At least, I don't think it is. I don't see any Pikachus.

I've stayed up in the early morning, countless times working on the comic.

Why? Because I love it.

You cannot even say I do it for the readers.
If I'm lucky, I hit 100 readers, on an update day.
More or less, it's less than that.
I've never had a ton of readers. I don't do it for the fame, I do it for the love.

I agree with some of the other posts, you have to use the filter button. Sure, there's a lot of rather…not-good comics here, but you have the choice NOT to look at them. Just as we do.

And yeah, I totally blew like, ten admins to get featured. It ain't about politics. It's about who you blow.

o.O Uh.
Damn.
Well, I'll never get featured.
But that's not my goal.
My goal right now, is to finish, and finish right.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

1500? you do 1500 in this place no way you have that many repeat readers.
Of course I do. I mean, don't get me wrong- my comic is utter crap. It's just because I blow them all.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

A comic doesn't get a top spot just by being around a long time or having a lot of pages. Even if it has been around for years and has a sizeable archive, a sub-par comic won't make the top-ten or even top-100 simply from their commitment, time, or length. To be in those spots a comic needs a sizeable following and/or plenty of off-site advertising (usually both, though the second can result from grapevine effect of already being noticed rather than paid advertisement).

They might not all be to your taste, but they are good comics with some kind of following and deserve their top spots.

The features are a nice supplement to the seldon-changing top-rank comics because they are hand-chosen by admins based on their quality rather than their audience size. The admins attempt to be unbiased and choose comics that not just they like personally but that they feel other people will enjoy and are good representitives of interesting, unique, and quality comics on the site.

The "random" and "just updated" lists on the front page are completely worthless unless you put a bunch of filters into effect. Even then, it's really a rookie mistake to use those to find comics on DD. Like all other free artistic/creative communities on the internet, there will be a lot more "low quality" content than the "good stuff." You're much better off browsing for certain parameters or checking out active users' profiles for the comics they recommend. (Even the admins do this when seeking potential features.) You also might want to check this thread.

The free exchange of creative ideas and materials should be treasured, with the understanding that most of the free exchange will be things of no interest to you personally. It's a matter of knowing how to search for what you want among the many options placed before you – just like anywhere else on the internet.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

Yeah, it might look that way, but it's not. :)
Amy's main influence is Chuck Jones.

hey, ya listen to her interview on The Villain's Corner?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I just throw up banners in all my off site sigs…only…I only have one off site sig…hmmm…

But Ochi and I are too lazy/poor to advertise and we are doing our comic just for the hell of it. In my case it is because I HATE being idle. I always need something to do. (This leads me to the conundrum of doing too much at once sometimes.

If Legacy Hero is reading this, I'm almost half way done with that page.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I'm always pleasantly surprised when a meaningful conversation comes up in response to an obvious troll.

Posted at

Yes, it seems to be going better than I had expected. :]

Posted at

I'm always pleasantly surprised when a meaningful conversation comes up in response to an obvious troll.
*Sniff*

It's those moments that bring tears to my eyes.

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

Plus, Cru had night elf boobies.

It's not the view that really matter, but I think comics that have more "interesting" display pictures and tags tend to get more attention.

Lesbian, Yaoi, Sex, Boobs, Cute. The main 5. Put any of them in your secrpition and you're likely to have people read and or fave your comic in ANTICIPATION of content the tags are related to or to find that image of the girl/boy posing on the front that way.

The tags don't even have to be accurate or the image be in the comic. People will still look for why they were included.

Hell, if you had a comic that had cute drawings of girls with big boobs who turn into boys every full moon and are in a relationship in both forms and it has a lot of nudity and make out action at least (Anybody takes that idea, and we'll all know where it came from. Don't even try it.)… Then you've got yourself front page or at least some fan art despite you not having done more than 10 pages.

I don't do my stuff for that, though. I just want to have people read my stuff and enjoy it. If I fail I'll at least have several other options to take for a happy creative future if I'm lucky.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Thank you Ozone for the defense, that means a lot to me. You said just about everything I wanted to say, I'm really glad you got my back! (I thought I'd let my head cool before I responded to this though!)

And PITFACE too, I feel like I missed an epic post by you! I know you got my back though, you're awesome ^_^

Amazox3, you're an obvious troll, soooo I'm not even going to dignify what you said about CTV with one of my massive rebuttals. Whatta shame! :)

Besides, Ozone already said what I would've said anyway, and if you don't believe him then you're just being stubborn.

My comic certainly isn't the best on the site, but jeezo-freekin-petes it's not the king of crap here either. I wish I knew exactly why people make up ridiculous reasons to hate it that just don't apply, when they could just read the first storyarc (it's only 16 pages!) and decide for themselves that they just don't like the way my title character kills people with a pirate hook *shrugs* Dark comedy really isn't for everyone. Of course it's dark comedy with bright happy cartoon colors so most people are confused…
At least I don't use fetishes, fan service and sex to get people to read my comic, heck I don't even ADVERTISE for it (yet…and see what happens when I do, oohoohoohoo!) I'm going to decline sharing my stats because to me that's akin to wang measuring, and I'm not here to be "popular" and show off. I feel like I'm in the top 3 out of sheer dumb luck, but my comic is not that bad so I wish people would just let it be already. If they want me to improve so bad they could get off their butts and offer some valid criticism instead of being a buncha Grinches leering at my Whoville.

And yes Chuck Jones is my hero! Chuck Amuck is such an awesome autobiography, I highly recommend checking it out. It's hilarious, and you can really see where a lot of the gags in Looney Tunes were based on real life events. I love it to bits. I totally got half my character's expressions from watching his cartoons. I can tell what Tom & Jerry cartoons are directed by Jones without seeing the opening credits because he always gives Tom these big bushy eyebrows like his own ^_^

I know, right? With the possible exception of one person, it makes me glad that the community here is nice enough that they aren't just flat out agreeing with him. I don't expect people to all like my stuff, but wow…I just hope no one is willfully ignorant enough to believe that!
(haha, I bet someone sees my name as the last post and assumes I wrote a big angry rant here, teeheehee!)

It's not the view that really matter, but I think comics that have more "interesting" display pictures and tags tend to get more attention.

Lesbian, Yaoi, Sex, Boobs, Cute. The main 5. Put any of them in your secrpition and you're likely to have people read and or fave your comic in ANTICIPATION of content the tags are related to or to find that image of the girl/boy posing on the front that way.

The tags don't even have to be accurate or the image be in the comic. People will still look for why they were included.

Ooo, don't forget giant faces. A lot of pictures are giant heads lately, so I've been trying to avoid that where I can. But I definitely check out a comic with an interesting display thumbnail, and avoid the ones that are full of cleavage or have any of the tags you mentioned (except "cute"… depending on what that word is paired with of course, I think Violator from Spawn looks cute, so it's a matter of opinions I guess…) Not to say I absolutely refuse to read those, it's just that having no libido really reduces the enjoyment of a comic when it's constantly attempting to titillate you. It's like being offered a dish you already don't like when you're not hungry. Ugh, why did I just think of creamed chipped beef…*throws up a little*
Plus I just like men better when their clothes are on, I like nice clothes ^_^ A man in a nice suit or uniform with a fancy hat is a lot sexier to me than one that's stark-naked.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

When i saw this thread had 40 posts and Amelius was the last one i'm like 'ahhhh fuck we got trolled' but this thread turned out to be a interesting read and nice :)
Yaaaaaay DD!

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

You know… one of those days, I'm gonna have to check out that Charbi comic. I just get so intimidated by the massive page numbers for me to start.

At least Renga's Charbi/Wonkedo cameo comic was pretty funny.

I don't see why you should bother: the art style is barely "loli" and there isn't even any boy love! Whoever that young man is who produces it really needs to reprioritize his motives if he wants to maintain his popularity.

Posted at

I don't see why you should bother: the art style is barely "loli" and there isn't even any boy love!
Oh… well… never mind then.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

When i saw this thread had 40 posts and Amelius was the last one i'm like 'ahhhh fuck we got trolled' but this thread turned out to be a interesting read and nice
Yaaaaaay DD!

Hurray for DD!

I don't see why you should bother: the art style is barely "loli" and there isn't even any boy love! Whoever that young man is who produces it really needs to reprioritize his motives if he wants to maintain his popularity.
ooo, you're right, I'll nevar maintain my popyoolairitees if I don't draws moar kiddie Pr0n!
It is my manly duties as a man!

In all seriousness though…hahaha! The idea of my comic becoming that gives me a minor migraine. I won't deny a lot of people come to my comic expecting angsty vampires, but thanks to certain mary-sue stories it is also my bane as of late. They aren't going to find out how much fun I'm making of them though, so their loss!

You know… one of those days, I'm gonna have to check out that Charbi comic. I just get so intimidated by the massive page numbers for me to start.

At least Renga's Charbi/Wonkedo cameo comic was pretty funny.

Well it's not so much the page numbers that should intimidate you, but the massive stretch of ree-heeeeally bad art betwixt the redone origin story at the start and the recent pages, because it used to be a daily comic and it shows, it shows BADLY. However I'm in a slow process of re-doing some of those old pages so, well…maybe it will be in print some day and you won't have to worry about an archive trawl through my bad art days.
That does cheer me up to hear that you at least considered looking at it though ^_^

If you liked Renga's Wonkedo crossover then you might actually like CTV though, he was scarily accurate on the character's portayal! Of course, CTV is a tiny less surreal and cartoony, Renga is just plain masterful at that.

Posted at

You do realize of course that you simply have to include Wonkedo in your comic now, somehow.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Already did, in a massive cameo-fest! But definitely he'll have to show up again, oh yes, it will happen…

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

i passed by a comic the other day about ken and ryu in college trying to find dates.wtf. that's not even a funny premise.
I think you're referring to my comic, Young Studs, here.

First off, they aren't in college. They aren't in any kind of school even remotely. As a matter of fact, the description stated that the story takes place between tournaments. Which tournaments? It doesn't matter, because it's not in the canonical time line of the games.

Secondly, they aren't trying to find dates. The original premise may have been them trying to find women to "hook up" with, but it's very obvious that has even changed as the comic has progressed. If you take a look at the description, that was even changed to state they are simply out to prove they are as good as they used to be when they were younger.

Lastly, the premise of most things don't come across funny at first until you witness the execution. The premise of Uncle Buck isn't funny, but the movie itself is quite entertaining. The premise of Ghostbusters doesn't lend itself to be a comedy, and yet the movie is hilarious.

Back when I was doing regular updates, my comic was rated #496 overall. That's overall and not in the Comic Book/Story category. Why? Because people liked my styling. Sure it is sprites, but it's the execution and presentation which attracted people. I have a "dialogue heavy" style which leads to massive character interaction and good development. One doesn't need a lot of dialogue to move something forward, but I obviously have the right je ne sai quoi with how I'm doing it.

If you don't like it, don't read it and don't come here. Oh, and which country? There are people from England, Australia, America, and I think Norway here just to name a few. Now, go back under your bridge. Trolls don't actually need friends, they only think they do.

Mr Lostman
Mr Lostman
Posted at

i passed by a comic the other day about ken and ryu in college trying to find dates.wtf. that's not even a funny premise.
I think you're referring to my comic, Young Studs, here.

Lastly, the premise of most things don't come across funny at first until you witness the execution. The premise of Uncle Buck isn't funny, but the movie itself is quite entertaining. The premise of Ghostbusters doesn't lend itself to be a comedy, and yet the movie is hilarious.

Back when I was doing regular updates, my comic was rated #496 overall. That's overall and not in the Comic Book/Story category. Why? Because people liked my styling. Sure it is sprites, but it's the execution and presentation which attracted people. I have a "dialogue heavy" style which leads to massive character interaction and good development. One doesn't need a lot of dialogue to move something forward, but I obviously have the right je ne sai quoi with how I'm doing it.

If you don't like it, don't read it and don't come here. Oh, and which country? There are people from England, Australia, America, and I think Norway here just to name a few. Now, go back under your bridge. Trolls don't actually need friends, they only think they do.
Ghostbusters isn't really funny.

Secondly, popularity !=quality.

"Don't like it? Don't read it." is never a valid defense of criticism. I'll elaborate on this depending on your reply.

Finally, trolls need friends more than anybody. (Am I obligated to call him a troll?)

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

Ghostbusters isn't really funny.

BLASPHEMY!!!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.