Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Allan
Allan
Posted at

Forum text too small.

Ok, press Ctrl and + –your font size increases. Problem solved for now.

Posted at

Reading this thread makes me tired. So tired.

Posted at

Forum text too small.

Great, except that that's a dumb idea. I shouldn't have to change browser settings to make reading some forums not give me a headache.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I believe DD has sold out and I stand by my opinion, if you don't like it, sod off..

You are a waste of air.

As for any complaints, I'd be less worried with the layout if it displayed correctly in Opera.

As of right now, I am staring at a disjointed header, with a 5 pixel seam between the logo and the navigation-bar below.

It seems that most people here are throwing a fit, and while I don't entirely think that's fair, I do think DD should of waited and tested the layout across browsers before making in the standard look. Because from what I am looking at, it was obviously not done to the extent it needed to.

Seriously, that seam should not be there.

Also, anyone who is threatening to leave DD over this is an attention-whore of elephantine proportions.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Also, anyone who is threatening to leave DD over this is an attention-whore of elephantine proportions.
I really am considering it.
I probably won't, but I was thinking about putting a notice up on my comics saying "Hey, DD's new layout sucks, so I'm moving to DA! :D"
I probably won't, but I was considering it…
*sigh*
What has Volte done?

Posted at

You know, I just want to chime in with a little something.

Yes, this new look needs some work, but does it suddenly ruin DD? Hell no. And everyone who gripes, or starts throwing around baseless accusations should just shut up. I'm not pleased with this yet, but I know we aren't being left in the ditch here. So long as the site works, and works well, it is fine with me. (Even though I still hate the white background.)

That said, there are some genuine kinks to be ironed out, and all you whiners are just lowering the chances of anything meaningful to be done or of anyone taking your problems seriously. Give your thoughts, and then shut up for a while and wait. Websites aren't built in a day.

And now I'm done in this thread; I've said my piece and I hope I am heard. Thank you and goodnight.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I really am considering it.
I probably won't, but I was thinking about putting a notice up on my comics saying "Hey, DD's new layout sucks, so I'm moving to DA! :D"
I probably won't, but I was considering it…
*sigh*
What has Volte done?

What was done was an attempt to run some new ideas for DD, but I think this is too sudden. What I'd of done is started tweaking the prior look to insert the features needed now.

But let's look at the bright side. We have a bunch of excellent new features like thumbnail based comic-listings and very useful filtering functions (bye bye sprite comics).

I think the only real complaint that is at all fair and agreeable is that this was not tested enough before being thrust forward as the look of the site.

AccoSpoot
AccoSpoot
Posted at

You know, I just want to chime in with a little something.

Yes, this new look needs some work, but does it suddenly ruin DD? Hell no. And everyone who gripes, or starts throwing around baseless accusations should just shut up. I'm not pleased with this yet, but I know we aren't being left in the ditch here. So long as the site works, and works well, it is fine with me. (Even though I still hate the white background.)

That said, there are some genuine kinks to be ironed out, and all you whiners are just lowering the chances of anything meaningful to be done or of anyone taking your problems seriously. Give your thoughts, and then shut up for a while and wait. Websites aren't built in a day.

And now I'm done in this thread; I've said my piece and I hope I am heard. Thank you and goodnight.

Hear hear, but the sooner they get these issues resolved the less senseless griping there'll be.

Posted at

I'm actually getting used to the new layout now, even the colour. There are some weird things yes, like the forums being pushed over to one side and the ads being in my face. There are bugs as well, but they'll get fixed. Really, I think the pros outweigh the cons, and it can only get better.

Right?

RIGHT?

"Hey, DD's new layout sucks, so I'm moving to DA! :D"

You'd honestly prefer DA to this? It's not dedicated to comics you moron, using it to host a webcomic is an exercise in hair tearing frustration. It can barely display its main export, Sonic fan comics drawn in MS Paint.

I was trying to avoid posting in this thread, but oh well.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

"Hey, DD's new layout sucks, so I'm moving to DA! :D"

You'd honestly prefer DA to this? It's not dedicated to comics you moron, using it to host a webcomic is an exercise in hair tearing frustration. It can barely display its main export, Sonic fan comics drawn in MS Paint.

I was trying to avoid posting in this thread, but oh well.
Yeah, DA's layout is better than this.

Posted at

Here's my thoughts as of now. Basically a list of things I still wish for. I like lots of new stuff but these things kinda overshadow the pros IMO

Forum font size increase

A bit darker background still. The grey is still hurting my eyes a bit.

MyFavorite/Comic/News being able to stay open. (This is priority as I have been missing some updates from friends)

Being able to remove favorites.

News being on the front page again. Though this will certainly make the admins jobs easier now as they won't have to worry about people pestering them to announce milestones and such =p

The special description a Featured comic received.

Posted at

So long as the site works, and works well, it is fine with me. (Even though I still hate the white background.)

Works? We lost our control panel, changing avatars seems more broken than before, bugs from the previous system still persist, rendering errors, waiting for my favourites to load, having to click to see the news when that is VERY MUCH a main page feature, misaligned text and one new feature is not WORKING.

Hell, that big fancy system they've got when you mouse over the comic thumbnail to see the description? I remember when that from something like 3 years ago, only back then it worked and aligned properly in all browsers.

Posted at

Okay, I'm calm about this cause I know that theres 1 man working on this and he has a life. My qualms are:

The forum font size.
The background color.
The Mycomics, Favcomics, and News things not staying open (and the occasional comic description under the ads)
Oh, and the old bugs like the trophys and such.

Everything else is realy nice.

So, shut up, chill out, and relax! I don't see most of us doing anything other than whinin and cryin and callin Volte a sellout! He's one man with a life so chill, and wait. He'll hear (or read) our requests and do something about it. Just be patient. Thank you.

Dan
Dan
Posted at

I do understand many problems and frustrations most of you face as of now (I do too), but sheesh, it's been only like, 4-5 days (Inferring to the topic launch date)? Not like problems can be fixed with a simple wave of a magic wand. No, it just doesn't work that way. Drunkduck isn't run by a group of mad-skilled technicians working 24/7… right? (Right?!)
I'd give it a week to have basic interfaces working at efficient level and a month or two to have this layout good-to-go. If not, ehh… my patience will prevail.

I do think DD should of waited and tested the layout across browsers before making in the standard look. Because from what I am looking at, it was obviously not done to the extent it needed to.
Now come to think of it, I think you have mentioned a valuable point there. I'm no tech-minded but I feel that the layout could've been tested with a "dummy site" to see what needs to be changed and what needs to be kept before implementing the design here, if possible. Also, the title reads, "A Sneak Peek"- I feel that this layout has been hastily placed. I apologize if I happen to be making blantant assumptions.

[quote="skoolmunkee]Reading this thread makes me tired. So tired.[/quote]
We are all tired… well different reasons for me because I should be sleeping!

Posted at

It's nothing to really freak out about. DD was made for people who want to upload their comics online, not to judge how pretty the layout is. Plus, Volte6 is trying to improve on things. You don't need to shoot him down like that.

This layout isn't bad at all. I can definately get used to it.

Posted at

It's nothing to really freak out about. DD was made for people who want to upload their comics online, not to judge how pretty the layout is. Plus, Volte6 is trying to improve on things. You don't need to shoot him down like that.

This layout isn't bad at all. I can definately get used to it.

Except that usability and accessability are the main features OF a comic host. Right now, on a lower tier highspeed connection, the main page takes several minutes to load if it isn't cached, and even then doesn't load correctly in all browsers. Not only that, but as has been stated numerous times, even in the post directly above yours, the bugs from the previous system were not repaired and instead seem glossed over by the fact that we were given a shiny new interface that most people don't like.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Right now, on a lower tier highspeed connection, the main page takes several minutes to load if it isn't cached,
While all these criticisms are extremely valuable for the purposes of working out kinks in the new system, this load time thing is something I just don't get.
I'm way over here in Australia… I've cleared my cache…

One thing is that for some reason the ads almost never load, they just stay as grey blocks, so I'm guessing that if they DID, load times would slow… So perhaps it's not the page design that's at fault in that regard, but the ads for whatever reason?

I wouldn't be surprised, that's adversely affected us numerous times before in the past, and really needs going over extremely carefully since it has the possibility to impact the entire site with a force akin to a server error or minor hack. :(

Posted at

Right now, on a lower tier highspeed connection, the main page takes several minutes to load if it isn't cached,
While all these criticisms are extremely valuable for the purposes of working out kinks in the new system, this load time thing is something I just don't get.
I'm way over here in Australia… I've cleared my cache…

One thing is that for some reason the ads almost never load, they just stay as grey blocks, so I'm guessing that if they DID, load times would slow… So perhaps it's not the page design that's at fault in that regard, but the ads for whatever reason?

I wouldn't be surprised, that's adversely affected us numerous times before in the past, and really needs going over extremely carefully since it has the possibility to impact the entire site with a force akin to a server error or minor hack. :(

Yes, I remember when the ad for whatever host DD was using went down for a while. I had to change my adblock settings to just make the damn site load past the top bar.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I hope they're still editing the thing, it would be a shame to have the site so unfinished much longer.

Also, I still think I would have much rather seen some bugs fixed than get a new template, but hey it's a free service so whatever.

Posted at

I hope they're still editing the thing, it would be a shame to have the site so unfinished much longer.

Also, I still think I would have much rather seen some bugs fixed than get a new template, but hey it's a free service so whatever.

There's a homeless guy down at the bus station who throws cans at me, but riding the bus is free, so whatever.

Allan
Allan
Posted at

Forum text too small.

Great, except that that's a dumb idea. I shouldn't have to change browser settings to make reading some forums not give me a headache.

If you're using Firefox, go to Tools, Options, Content, and under Fonts/Colors press Advanced. Change your minimum font size to somewhere around 13-14. Problem solved for every site ever.

Posted at

Forum text too small.

If you're using Firefox, go to Tools, Options, Content, and under Fonts/Colors press Advanced. Change your minimum font size to somewhere around 13-14. Problem solved for every site ever.

I shouldn't have to change browser settings to make reading some forums not give me a headache.

I REPEAT: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S SHITTY DESIGN CHOICES.

Posted at

Is Drunkduck playing the copycat to the Zuda website? It looks awfully similar.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I REPEAT: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S SHITTY DESIGN CHOICES.
The text isn't that small…

Why do you guys always get so angry about this stuff?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.