Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

IT'S MY GAWDDAMNED TWENTY FIRST BIRTHDAY TOMORROW~!! D'=
…and it's downhill for there on out, kiddo. Enjoy it while ya can! >:)
I've always felt that 25 was the point of no return. But I'm well past that, just waiting on my social security checks,
I'm just waiting for death T_T
Let's all roll our wheelchairs out to the porch and shake our fists at children playin' in the street.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

The original color painting was made by this guy. I don't have a color or black and white. It looks like a faded sepia.
Ah, I was right, that pic is a Pre-Raphaelite style. Friends with good old Rosetti. Shows :)

So this one is a sepia ink copy? A mono colour painting or a print? What size is it? It's not a big photograph is it?
I don't know. I haven't removed it from the frame. (The frame looks like it will fall apart if you look at it funny.

And it is about 3ft (sorry metric people, I'm lazy) tall if I am correct. About the standard poster size.

It doesn't look like a photograph. I've seen some old family pictures from when they were sepia.

It doesn't have a glossy finish like most pictures. If anything it looks old newspaper like.

Posted at

Some fucktard on the Escapist forums just whined about Fable and called it a 'decent FPS with RPG elements'. What the fuck? And then when someone called him out on it he admitted he'd never played it, then posted a video of some guy using the bow a lot. AND THE OTHER GUY ACCEPTED IT AND APOLOGISED.

Must resist urge to sign up and argue. Must quell nerd rage.

I really need to stop lurking there. Why do I do this to myself?

Edit: OH GOD I FAILED TO RESIST.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Let's all roll our wheelchairs out to the porch and shake our fists at children playin' in the street. I'll need a push deary *creaks*
It doesn't have a glossy finish. etc
Ok, no way that is a photo. Too big anyway. Most likely not an etching or anything like that either.

Hyena is an expert on printmaking though, she could tell you more about the possibilities there, like if it was a big intaglio print or something? I just wouldn't know :(

Hmm, a painting with sepia do you think?

In the 19thC in particular it was very popular for training artists to go into galleries and paint copies of the painting on show, as a way of training and honing their skills. Painting in a single colour, doing a tonal study is a great way to learn about light and dark. So it could have been done in that context.

It could ALSO be a study by the same artist you linked to FOR his later colour work. You should get it looked at if that's the case :)

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

also ozone. i just sent ya a PQ,didja get it?
Yep! Got it and replied! Sorry, I was at work.

aw no prob man! i was only lettin ya know cuase ya know how my PQ's gotta habit of disappearing sometimes so i just wanted to make sure ya got it. replied again to ya.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

It might be a lithograph (or offset lithograph, depending on the date), Niccea. That method was used for posters well up into the 20th century(especially reproductions or photographs or stuff like that).

Probably it was printed as a high-end reproduction of an older painting. The sepia was an intentional choice; the technology for printing quality color reproductions almost certainly existed at the time this was created. Probably your best bet for dating the work is the frame, unless you're willing to take the print out and look for an edition mark.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

^.^ Really doesn't matter too much to me. I just wanted to know who was in the picture. It isn't like I'm going to sell it or anything. Just needed something to tell people who ask what it is when it eventually hangs in the living room.

Posted at

what, not even a chuckle at how I reacted to my dream? :P

oh well, can't win them all I guess….

lba
lba
Posted at

what, not even a chuckle at how I reacted to my dream? :P

oh well, can't win them all I guess….

Actually, I was trying to figure out how to apologize. I think you've been channeling the crap I'm being forced to draw.

Which brings us to my rant, namely that there is a dead graphic designer to be. Third fucking time that I've redone the tight sketch for the full page illustration, second time on redoing the spot illustration, and all that is after he made me do a second set of concept sketches for the full page. Plus, he keeps adding shit and making new requests, to the point that I'm never going to get this done on time. I already got a bitchy email from my prof asking why the hell I hadn't submitted them to this guy on time, and I was still busy playing catch up from him not getting back to me until 12 am the previous night.

It's a pretty basic point that when you hire an illustrator, you are hiring them for their ideas, their style and their past work. I understand that I was assigned to him by the prof, but that doesn't mean you should go and keep demanding the illustrator to copy a style of work that is not theirs. That's not how this shit works.

Posted at

ouch!!

I've been in that kind of situation myself, so I definitely feel your pain right here. *pats chest where the heart's located*

Sometimes I wonder if those people even listen to themselves. "oh, that looks good. ooohhh, just had an BRILLIANT idea! why don't you add 50 basketball players in the background? and they should definitely be brawling it out!!!! And then add some bitching graphics in right behind the basketball players… something like demons, angels, and hellfire. never mind your deadline, I'm sure you can add it all in no time!!!"

*shakes head*

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

*pats chest where the heart's located*
-and boobs
There wasn't enough nudity in that dream… of the adult female human kind that is :(

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Wow… some kind of trojan virus calling itself "genericXX" (where XX is a 2 digit number) has been infecting several files on my computer. Mostly the recovery files, though… but I also lost my Diablo II installation (not that I was playing the game anyway… ) Luckily AVG pulled those files out before I ended up using them. Apparently someone can use those trojans to control my computer via IRC (that's what I read anyway). Never thought I could unknowingly get viruses despite checking all my attachments and not going to any of those questionable sites…

Posted at

*pats chest where the heart's located*
-and boobs
There wasn't enough nudity in that dream… of the adult female human kind that is :(

Oh good grief.. It looks like Ozone is "in season" again. :o-p

lba
lba
Posted at

Oz is always "in season". He's an australian. And a pervert to boot.

I was supposed to be home 5 hours ago packing for my trip out of town this weekend. I still have yet to figure out what I need to take even. Could be worse I suppose. I wasn't expecting much in the way of sleep tonight anyway.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

od grief.. It looks like Ozone is "in season" again. :o-p
Don't worry, you're perfectly safe as long as you don't bend over while wearing a short skirt.

Posted at

I just saw the saddest, most wonderful movie. I am still in a state- bleary eyed from crying for a full hour, sad, poignant-feeling and totally in love with Catherine Deneuve. Oh, the movie is "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg)… It's somewhere in my top 5 movies ever, now. That song! I found a video of someone's grandmother playing it beautifully on youtube.

This movie has made a deep, deep impression on me.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i'm beginning to regret the pool everymorning. as the ambient temperature decreases, so does the pool. they say it's heated, but i think they only heat the water they pump into it. the edges of the pool are warm, but the bottom, and center are freezing.and i'm only talking about 1 meter out is warm, and 60 cenimeters down is warm.

brrrrr…just thinking about it…..

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

so i went to get my psysical to become an interier fire fighter and i check out except apperantly my eyes are going bad. 3 years ago i was 20/20. now i'm 50/20 and my right eye is 70/20. so i gotta go get fitted for some specs i guess. keep yer 4 eyes jokes and crap to yerself. just cuase i need glasses dont mean i wont KICK YA IN THE GORD! :gem:

and also, thanks Ozone. ;)

Posted at

I got to stay home from school for the first time in like, two years due to sickness. Unfortunately, that means I probably won't be able to go to the dance either. Oh well, my health matters more than a ten dollar ticket. When I get sick, I don't do it halfway. I'm just lucky I didn't get a fever this time, which usually means I have to get into an ice cold bathtub to make it go down…

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Not enough people I associate with are punk rockers. It's weird to have somethin' that's such a big part of your life and who you are, and no one to share it with. I guess it's the same with makin' comics, but I've got DD for that kinda gab, thankfully!

Now back to listenin' to Johnny Thunders and makin' comics. >:)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I meant to say pre-Raphealite. My speciality is idenifying symbolism in pictures especially the legends of Arthur. I spent the last two years of college immersed in the Matter of Britain and still have all the texts in my bookcase.

It would have been so cool if Henry VII's eldest son had survived to become king. King Arthur II.

So now I find myself reading one of the Conspiracy Theories regarding Pearl Harbor. I'm barely on page 60 and I've already detected leaps of logic and spurious connections. I love this stuff.

Gotta finish those models. I want to have some completed work to show the client next week and hopefully get some cash. And wouldn't you know that the maker of the preferred paint for US World War II armor olive drab changed the formulation so now it's not completely accurate. lol!

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

Not enough people I associate with are punk rockers. It's weird to have somethin' that's such a big part of your life and who you are, and no one to share it with. I guess it's the same with makin' comics, but I've got DD for that kinda gab, thankfully!

Now back to listenin' to Johnny Thunders and makin' comics. >:)

yeah man. there's no scene out here either.and if ya dont have punks, yer DEFIANTLY aint gonna have thrashers. i did meet one the other day though. long curly hair, old school Anthrax "spreading the disease" shirt and the whole 9 yards. a little bit of a horse face. corse i went up and said hey and showed him my jacket and he knew all the bands i had on it so that was cool. he did kinda gimme the look though and when that happens, my defenses instantly go up. and i dont blame him, i mean hey! i'm a fuckin thrash babe!haha!

but i know what yer gettin at, HH. i mean it's not like ya cant make friends with people who arent into what yer into, but it sure helps. when ya meet people that like what you like, got the same sense of humor that you do, shit like that, it just fuckin clicks,you know?

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

An amazing thing just happened.

I called the pound to inform them that my foster dog Sallie returned, and they said they think she's the dog that was over at a nearby dog food factory. They reported her missing around when she returned to my place! So, I called them to tell them Sallie's situation.

She apparently was hanging around the factory making friends, and the owner's son got attached to her. They took her to the vet and everything. The guy who has taken to her is moving to Arizona (or is from Arizona and going home). Anyway, I told them Sallie was a foster, and I have supplies for her I can give them.

She's leaving this afternoon. I'm going to miss her since I've had her 5 months, but she'll have so much more room to run, and people who care about her. It was always my goal to find her a new home, and she went and found one for herself.

(I'm still glad she came back to say goodbye and give me closure. If she had simply disappeared without a trace, I always would have wondered.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

and also, thanks Ozone. ;)
No worries ^_^

Well, I have a four day unbroken weekend of goodness and lazing about stretching ahead of me now. Monday is when we in Western Australia celebrate the birthday of Queen Elizabeth the second. Well we don't actually celebrate, we just have a monday off, and that's reason to celebrate.
Long Live HRH ER!!! Thanks for the holiday! ^_^

And that ties in nicely with my Tuesday off. So 4 days. But I'll be avoiding the Perth Royal show if I can help it… I hate the show- Way too crowded. -_-

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

Story
That is a pretty good story.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.