Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Have you seen the e-mails he's sending out to people who've complained about this? I don't know if it's real, but I saw some screen caps and his solution is to call smorkey a pedophile and then directs people to a link of an image directory full of furry drawings and some guy taking his pants off.

yeah guy… really classy there.

Yeah Fleen's doing a lot of coverage on this and argh.

Seriously. Who in their right mind would think that's a great idea? -_-

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

This is not the first time D&G has done something like this!!!
He's done it before? o_O

check this out

FoxmanZEO
FoxmanZEO
Posted at

Persona non grata.

herio
herio
Posted at

Are Idlers really our own? We can place copy writs on them and stuff but with some minds think a like and the nets a big place I donâ??t know if we go over bord here we all take idlers from places. But that a bit to much I think to take the whole pic.

Then again it cloud be pop art but I gesso it would need dots

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Herio is like Yoda, only better :)
Yep, we do get ideas from all over the place, but in this case, it's a little more than that. It's unfortunate really.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Are Idlers really our own? We can place copy writs on them and stuff but with some minds think a like and the nets a big place I donâ??t know if we go over bord here we all take idlers from places. But that a bit to much I think to take the whole pic.

Then again it cloud be pop art but I gesso it would need dots

Even if it was "Pop Art" you can't just steal ideas.

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
I don't know if this is real, probably is, though.

POST POP-ARTIST, TODD GOLDMAN, CONTROVERSAL PAINTING

CLEARWATER, FL, April 11, 2007- Popular post pop-artist, Todd Goldman who has made a career of making fun of the world with his sarcastic commentary and cartoon icons, has mistakenly used the design of an another artist in two of his recent paintings. Todd’s painting, “Dear God, Please Make Everyone Die”, was inspired from a drawing he received unbeknownst to him belonging to an underground web comic artist David “Shmorky” Kelly.

In addition to painting, Todd designs t-shirts for his clothing company, David & Goliath. Todd and his design team create and receive thousands of design ideas every month. It’s no secret that Goldman creates a lot of his painting ideas from his t-shirt designs. Goldman says “I made a judgment error and didn’t research the background of this particular submission. “My intention was not to copy Mr. Kelly. I have never seen his work before and would never intentionally knock-off someone else’s idea.”

Goldman has issued a formal apology to Mr. Kelly and has stated that he will not be using his design again in the future. As a gesture of good faith, Goldman has pledged not profit from his mistake. He will instead donate his proceeds from the painting directly to Mr. Kelly or his charity of choice.

Dave Kelly, posting as "Shmorky" at Something Awful, has confirmed that this is authentic.

Posted at

"oh shit! I got caught, and the fallout is way more than I expected! backpedal!"

Posted at

I used to write Indicia for books and help file trade marks so I know a little about copyrighting and TM'ing things so I'll share, BUT i'm not claiming any kind of legal liability to this stuff, it's just my understanding of this all

Copyright - any time you put something out for public "consumption" it's automatically copyrighted. The mailing the envelope is like an urban legend. What you can do to protect yourself is to publish your work in places where dates can be documented (like on a server) and keep back up copies of this info for yourself

Indicia - that's the:
THIS BOOK VOLUME 1. Published by Somebody Studios, 111 Some Road, LA, CA, 90063.
Sombody Studios, My Title, My Snazzy Logo Name, and Other Logo Crap, and all contents TM & copyright (C) 2007 Sombody Studios, All Rights Reserved.

This is a basic format, BUT do research before you write this becuase if you claim a (R) and you don't have one, you could loose the opportunity to claim that later on.

Trade Marking
- Check out my comic pages. what do you see next to all of my logos/titles? That's right a little TM. SO what did I have to do to get that? Just put it on there. That's right, if you want to hold onto your titles/logos put a TM next to them. Before you can even file for a Trade Mark you must create a logo, put the TM on it then distribute it. It's called "Proof of Use" and is the first step in getting something trademarked. If you have this on your IP and someone uses it without your permission you can then pull the old "Hey I was in the process of TMing that, back off" and you're well within your legal rights.

Wow hope that helps and doesn't get me sued!

Zac
Zac
Posted at

I had to share this with you guys! We were in Pchat tonight and this just appeared.

Posted at

The "Put this on a shirt, asshole" line just makes the whole thing, I think. ^_^

Posted at

Internet idea theft…

ha ha ha…ho ho ho…he he he.

…why give a creative mind credit WHEN YOU CAN JUST STEAL HIS WORK!

what ever…
a wise dude once told me…
Just keep swimming.

Posted at

lol
webcomics are an art form too!

this could get some attention to the growing webcomics community.

Posted at

how stupid is this guy!

He said one of the artists working for his company brought the image to him.

"I made a judgment error and didn't research the background of this particular submission," Goldman said. "My intention was not to copy Mr. Kelly."

it's like someone showing him a picture of mona lisa…
"oh this looks good! traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaceeeee"

watta douche bag
Of the Internet reaction, Goldman said: "This is just a bunch of hater artists trying to take me down. I'm not an online Web guy. I'm not trying to rip people off. I work with a team of artists at David & Goliath. We create thousands of designs."

junoblairb
junoblairb
Posted at

Wow. I don't even know if I can remember all the stuff I wanted to reply to on here.

Ugh. I mean seriously. What the damn? How does stuff get into mass production like this? I just don't get it. Surely someone should have caught it.

And you know, a lot of artists who steal produce crap on their own, when they don't have something to reference, so it's obvious when you ACTUALLY see their work, in the way their quality or style fluctuates. … But what's happening, really? You're getting a lot of pissed off artists who keep talking. And the original artist will get more attention, more hits, more fans in the longrun.

Right. Because no publicity is bad publicity. I've had my art ripped off and put on DeviantArt. I've had my stories stolen (included SCD) and my poetry stolen. After the dA incident I stopped linking the stuff up becuase I realized I was only making it worse. If it happened again I'd just email them with a nice phone number they could call to my lawyer's office.

And on a more personal level, I actually own a David and Goliath t-shirt. At the time I thought it was quite a witty shirt and now I'm wondering if he stole the idea for that too. Damn you Todd Goldman. You ruined what was otherwise a perfectly good shirt. D:<

We owned a couple of the Goodbye Kitty magnets. When I told my husband about this he was livid. Seriously livid. And threw them away. And it made him very sad. So Todd Goldman, you made my husband cry. If I ever see your cheating ass I will throw more than rocks at you. :(

You know the most tragically silly aspect of the whole thing? The fact that he even copied the shape of the speech bubble.

Haha - and I think that's the only part of this that made me laugh. Mostly out of pity.

Posted at

haha libel
that's funny…

when in this day of age can you not call a hack(with evidence) "a hack"
Todd is lower than worms

Posted at

btw someone locked down his wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Goldman

it's too big to contain it now. even with reperations to the original artist and an apology. this news has set the net forums and blogs on fire.

I want major news stations to cover this.

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

I want major news stations to cover this.

People are still generally unaware of it. I went to work at Hot Topic and none of the other employees had heard anything.

marine
marine
Posted at

I used to have an image of Rob Liefields blatant stealing of other artwork. Looks like he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. What a loser.

Oh by the way, who the fuck is Todd Goldman?

Posted at

i think he steals drawings from kids

"hey billy, is that mickey mouse?!"
"wha?"
"yaaaaaaank"

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.