Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

'Tanks: From World War 1 to Present Day'

(Borders was having a going out of business sale, I couldn't resist.)

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

finnicky wrote:
I'm currently in the middle of reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, myself.
!!!

that's on the nightstand for "next", but Genji is so huge, I'm thinking I'll have to dip into Peregrine soon just for a break.

Do you like it?   (the pictures are fun)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Gunwallace wrote:

It's shaping up to be more like an academic treatise on 14th Century politics, following the old format of discussing a subject, breaking it down, giving examples, citing references etc.
-never immoral, moral, or duplicitous, more sort of academically scientific and sightly detached (on occasion).

16th C … keep going, he gets there. My copy is in a box somewhere, as we are renovating at the moment, but from memory he posits things like: is it better to be feared or loved, O Prince? Loved of course, and gives examples, but then the tone changes and by the end of the section you realize he's suggested that being feared is both easier and better than being loved (if you have to pick one) … [ but what you should aim for is being feared while everyone is saying they love you. ]

There are a lot of examples from 'antiquity' in The Prince, as that was the Renaissance style … looking back to the Romans and Greeks as moral example. But usually these examples were framed within a Christian moral framework. Mac goes outside that. His Discourses on Livy is a fun (if heavier) read than the Prince.
From what I read the "feard" thing has only to do specifically with other political rivals. With the population in general his advice is to have them on your side if possible and get any nasty stuff out of the way fast. Also- don't always "try" to be loved, just try not to be hated.

I recently read "The man who knew too much" by GK Chesterten.
It was an interesting book, made up of lots of fun and pithy little stories that illustrate the deeper complexities behind seemingly straight forward events. Pretty much what I'm aall about :)
Like, a story would be about a murder and it would seem a bit mysterious, but fairly obvious what had happened in the end, but because the lead character Hoarne Fischer knew so much he'd explain just what really happened and it would be quite a LOT more complicated and interesting than was readily apparent.
This book approached the idea in a basic way, but it's a theme that sums up my approach to things very well as well as the dificulties involved in explaining those complexities to those who just aren't aware of them: ie, in the end you usually can't.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Currently reading Pride and Prejudice- just because it was another one of those free e-books through Amazon :)

I never had to read it for school thankfully and I avoided movies or TV series about it so the book is fresh and entertaining to me! I like it, so far… It started out very much as a satire of its subjects and the whole thing about how ladies of a certain age and status are expected to behave, the whole courting ritual etc… Lots of subtle humour all through it, but it's also pretty bloody gossipy.

Anyway, so far its living up to its title! That's the basic theme: Pride and prejudice.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory.  It's about Robert Dudley and Elizabeth I.

After reading Tudor history I decided to read some  fiction about these scandalous types.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Still reading a song of ice and fire by george rr martin, now on the second book of book two…
book two was seperated into two books but was numbered separately.  I've read these before, well up to the end of the one i'm on, the next two will be virgin reading.

Byth1
Byth1
Posted at

The Eye of The World by Robert Jordan
Seems pretty good so far.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

The eye of the world…
It's a very good book but it is the beginning of a mammoth series, one which meanders somewhat later on.  That said i have read them all several times and they are better when you aren't rushing through trying to find out what happens next.  Also the long delay between books is frustrating.  or was as the final one comes out in november.  Take your time and enjoy them.
I'm not on A feast for crows by george rr martin.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

I'm reading "The Peloponnesian War" by Donald Keegan and "A War Like No Other" by Victor Davis Hanson. It's good to read them together. No practical reason why you'd ever want to read them though, but it's fascinating stuff.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Genejoke wrote:
The eye of the world…
It's a very good book but it is the beginning of a mammoth series, one which meanders somewhat later on.  That said i have read them all several times and they are better when you aren't rushing through trying to find out what happens next.  Also the long delay between books is frustrating.  or was as the final one comes out in november.  Take your time and enjoy them.
I thought Jordan had died?

That series is long… I suspect that was 100% based on commercial considerations. The whole story could've been shortened into two novels. There is a shitload of padding in those books. Beware.

The characters of the "Aiel" (or whatever they're called) and a clumsy homage to the "freemen" in Frank Herbert's Dune. …that's a nice way of saying that's where he ripped them off from; basically awesome mysterious European Arabs.

That said, the first novel was really entertaining… and so were a couple of the other early ones. It only got stodgy and interminable later on.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Yep he died but another author is finishing it, the last two books have been a little more concise than the last few that RJ did.  
I found the later books frustrating to read on first reading but when reading them second, third and fourth  times they get better.  Well maybe I just accepted that they were bloated and enjoyed the "filler"

Posted at

Is this just for "proper books" or comic books too?
I am currently reading through the latest issue of the "Fantastic Four" CE. Having never read FF before I was a little puzzled, for in the first scene Reed Richards went to a conference and stood about talking. In scene two the characters were sat on the sofa chatting, then there was a story set in a school room. I'm sure I saw a film about these guys and there was fire and swooping cityscape camera work. It must be a dodgy issue. 

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Talk about whatever books, pamphlets, lyric sheets, poems or whatever Skreem :)
It's alll good!
That sounds like a dull comic though…

Genejoke wrote:
Yep he died but another author is finishing it, the last two books have been a little more concise than the last few that RJ did.  
I found the later books frustrating to read on first reading but when reading them second, third and fourth  times they get better.  Well maybe I just accepted that they were bloated and enjoyed the "filler"
 There's no way I could bring myself to read those more than once…

At the start it seemed such a cool read - a good "young adult" type fantasy that was funky and original enough to be really interesting and fun and the first book had a nice satisfying, conclusive ending that segued into the next book without that feeling of something badly unfinished (like a lot of series books). 

The thing about the mysterious past being uncovered gradually, the evil baddies being killed off in the conclusions of each book like videogame bosses, Rand slowly developing into a swordmaster and then a master of magic and the girls and all his friends achieving their own masteries… All that was really promising and fun.

But the writing about the relationships between the characters, Rand being such a horrible pussy about any dead girls (dead guys didn't matter apparently), the interminable, obvious and even childish make/female debates and dynamics though reeeeeaaaaallllly got on my tits.

It's like Robert Jordan had some women issues or something and needed to try and show what an understanding guy he was by writing it all out in fake, awful debates between his characters. It was like someone singing over and over:

"What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails, and puppy dogs tails
That's what little boys are made of !
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice and all things nice!"

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

reading Clive Barker right now.  This one is Sacrament.  I'm not a big fan, but when I'm in a certain "fed up" mood (for lack of better articulation), I like easy horror, and I prefer Barker to King.  most definitely

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

At the moment, I'm bouncing between Les Miserables and The Fellowship of the Ring. I haven't read either in a while. It really depends on what I am feeling like.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

I'm reading comic books right now. I have read in the past couple of days:
- Kick ass.
- Complete zombies vs robots.
- De Chninkel.
- Daredevil: Yellow.
- Spider-Man: Blue.
- The Walking Dead.
- Earth X
- Universe X
- Smuggling Spirits.
- Joker.
- The Incredible Hercules: Smash of the Titans.
- Kingdom Come.

That must be why I handed in the radioplay pages so late in the game…

Posted at

About to finish The Flight of the Scarlet Tanager by C.L. Bevill, and I've been working through the complete works of HP Lovecraft in between books.

Posted at

I just started Necroscop by Brian Lumley. So far it's pretty damn good.

Newway12
Newway12
Posted at

the Steampunk Bible by Jeff Vandermeer

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

One of the books I really enjoyed this year was Snow Crash by Neal Donaldson(?). Intelligent, cyberpunk with a twist of satire. Great cast of characters with a brilliant bad guy. I highly recommend it!

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

machinehead wrote:I just started Necroscop by Brian Lumley. So far it's pretty damn good.

I recently re-read that. I too. Enjoyed it. Always been curious to see what the other books in the series are like.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I finished Pride and Prejudice a while ago.

I really don't get what people go on about with this one:
- Darcy is a "bad boy" and that's why he's desirable… No he is NOT! He's a loveable friendly kissy nice fellow who everyone who knows him loves to pieces, except Wickam because Wickam is a dick. To people who don't know him he seems too stuck up… which he is because he's painfully class conscious. Elizabeth hates him till she finds out what he's really like.

- It's a serious, intellectual book about a great love story… It's not in any way. I's a fun, light comedy with a very light, gossipy lovey courtship or two. The only serious things you get out of it are insights into the role and position of upper-middle-class women of the day in regards to their need to marry to retain their position in society and the trouble they have with inheritance etc. Apart from that is a great funny satire on the prejudice of class.

————

Currently reading The Odessy… Or The Iliad or whatever, by Homer.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Currently reading The Odessy… Or The Iliad or whatever, by Homer.
I've had that in a pile of "to read" books for the last decade.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

All the books I've been reading for a while are free Amazon ones I read on my phone while on the train, so it's a bit easier for me to get started on them and slog through than it would be for you at home with all the work you do there and the kids and such…

I know how hard it can be to get into some types of books when you're just not in the right mood or space- They seem like work as opposed to something more entertaining and pleasurable, which is more what you need to relax with in your free time. Whereas a boring train journey is the perfect place to approach them. :)
-For me anyway. I could read those for pleasure now, but commuting has helped me get into them. It's helped me get through a LOT of books I may not have completed otherwise. Still, I'm starting to hunger for a good old style SciFi story…

I'm STILL not into the Odyssey proper yet. Still going through the great long, long prologue where they talk about the history of all the translations, Homer, the attribution of the poems and the history of writing and epic poetry in Ancient Greece according to the opinions of all these different people.
SO DULL! T_T

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.