Moonlight meanderer
SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Drunk Duck - "Because it's the only thing you can find."

Jimeth
Jimeth
Posted at

Because of all the awesomeness. No questions, just "here's a few page formats, here's some file space, have fun!"
Everyone's pretty cool and willing to read new stuff too.

pixel
pixel
Posted at

I actually post my comic in three places. Here, its own site (http://www.blert.net/bnrp/), and on livejournal (LJ user bnrp).

I got onto drunkduck because it had an RSS feed function (which i have completely failed to use or advertise to readers). I've stayed because it means that many more potential readers (I'm four peoples' favorites! Woo!), and I like the ease of feedback I get (cuz I am a comment whore).

I am also apparently abusing the hell out of parenthesis today(if you hadn't already gathered).

Only 2.5 weeks until I have 20 strips and feel justified asking for a plug/crit and/or a comic review. Then I'm sure to get the love. Or, you know, not. :)

Posted at

I came to Drunk Duck because, when I was talking to a friend of mine about wanting to set up a webcomic, but being too nervous to try the elitist Keenspace(The only one I was aware of at the time), she mentioned Drunk Duck. I googled it, and looked around the site. Signing up was easy and hassle free, AND the setup for starting a comic was simple. I instantly fell in love with the fact that not only did it provide templates in lieu of figuring out your own HTML(I'm HTML-illiterate), but makes loading in a page as simple as clicking around for a few seconds.

Would I do it all over again? Every time. I feel at home here, and very welcomed by the community. The admins listen, the more talented comic artists are available and sociable(at least, some of them are!), and the comment system adds a feeling of contact with readers, as well as input.

I've been on a few forums. I daren't even glance at the Devart forums. There has never been such a feeling of laid-back moderation ANYwhere, and yet there seems to be such little trouble(that I've been a witness too, at any rate). The drama is contained, without it being forcibly so. The Admins here geniunely care what each and every single member has to say; to an extent.I'm proud to be part of Drunk Duck, and to be associated with something that is, frankly, such a great benefit to all involved, makes my ego boost a little. *grin*

Avid
Avid
Posted at

I chose drunkduck to baisically start me off. Because after a while I figured that it really didn't fit all of my needs really. I found a new website that actually gives me more than this. So now I plan to use this as a mirror.

Wark_Ento
Wark_Ento
Posted at

Reasons I chose DD:

1. This is one of the first hosts I've used, besides Keenspace and SmackJeeves.

2. Getting noticed on SJ seems only to be based on the amount of fans you have. I've seen comics featuring sub-par artwork, bad spelling, and boring stereotypical storylines that have over 100 fans, whereas some comics with excellently colored art and original storylines have 4 to 12 fans. WTF.

3. This place has a built-in audience that's actually FRIENDLY and DOESN'T ignore you! ^_^

4. Keenspace seems to be running a dictatorship compared to here.

So I figured this is the place to be. In fact, I update HERE first before anywhere else as of current. ^_^

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

There has never been such a feeling of laid-back moderation ANYwhere, and yet there seems to be such little trouble(that I've been a witness too, at any rate). The drama is contained, without it being forcibly so. The Admins here geniunely care what each and every single member has to say; to an extent.I'm proud to be part of Drunk Duck, and to be associated with something that is, frankly, such a great benefit to all involved, makes my ego boost a little. *grin*
That is a great statement about DD :)

Neilak20
Neilak20
Posted at

I chose to sign up on DD after doing a google search for "free webcomic hosting" and then debating between the results. I saw the community through reading Starving Artists version 1 as well as reading through some other webcomics on DD, and decided DD was a friendly place to be.
I've always liked that DD is Free, and easy to use.

Posted at

I found the wikipedia article and signed up.

And I'm glad I did. This is the friendliest forum I've ever been on.

Posted at

hopefully it wasn't the vandalized version of that wiki article

marine
marine
Posted at

hopefully it wasn't the vandalized version of that wiki article

I'll stop doing it when it stops being funny. :innocentsmile:

CORY
CORY
Posted at

Back when I was playing SWG, I decided to a comic based off the game. It got a few fans and I wanted to get more publicity.

It just so happened our own Inkmonkey was also playing SWG at that time, and was quite active on the forums. He recommended Drunkduck, and me, being skeptical, took my sweet time to move on over.

Anyway, eventually, I did make the move, and after I mastered the interface (which a lot of my friends couldn't) I grew quite happy here.

So I guess all credit goes to Inkmonkey.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

I joined because it was the easiest to join. I stayed because of the community.

MuriraRK
MuriraRK
Posted at

I was here before Drunk Duck went down and I thought it was pretty nifty at the time. But then it went down and I was sad. So I found Smack Jeeves, since someone mentioned it on Gaia Online. It's pretty nifty there and the front page doesn't overwhelm me like it does here…and yeah! Other stuffs too! So I'm here to use Drunk Duck as a mirror. If you look at my comic, I stole my layout right off my SJ one. ^_^" I really gotta take care of that. Eheh.

Posted at

You're all right about DD being the easiest one for getting a comic up and running right away. Navigation is the easiest too. Setting up an account at WCN seemed to go on forever, but I like the cleaner look of the site. My only complaint is that each page at WCN takes several seconds to load (while it's almost instantaneous on DD).

Terminal's and Locoma's answers to posts in the "Help! How Do I…?" category cleared up almost every question I had. Thanks!

MiniMyth
MiniMyth
Posted at

*cough* Actually, I haven't. >_> My comic is hosted on an independant site. We've got hosting space over on Dreamhost.

I did have a comic called Mixed Myth on Comic Genesis, which has since finished. I originally put it up there because, back then, it was really the only free comic hosting service around. This was in 2001. Times have changed since then, certainly.

Though we host independently, I still hang around CG. I've got friends there. On the forum end of things, I would say Kisai does more than her fair share of work on the place. But those who actually own CG don't do much as far as actually moving forward. Certainly not like Drunk Duck does. Keenspot is gets most of the attention as far as advancements and support, and even then it's not as much as it could be. Some of the plans offered to Spotted comics are utter maddness. But again, I hang around for the community- the forumites and friends.

You're all probably wondering why I'm here if I don't have anything hosted on Drunk Duck and in fact have a strong history with Comic Genesis. Well, I believe in branching out. I'd actually joined back during that wonderful War we had (although classes and moving drug my attention elsewhere). Sometimes we get so insular that it pays to break out a bit and meet new people…as far as that can be said for online forums. So here I am, testing the social waters.

w_p_s
w_p_s
Posted at

because deviantART kicked me out

lmao

Roguehill
Roguehill
Posted at

I actually started hosting my comic over on webcomicsnation, but there seemed to be very little activity there, so I planned to mirror over here on DD. I've got to say that the community (and simplicity) is pretty darned awesome!

-Roguehill

Posted at

I'd actually joined back during that wonderful War we had (although classes and moving drug my attention elsewhere). Sometimes we get so insular that it pays to break out a bit and meet new people…as far as that can be said for online forums. So here I am, testing the social waters.

Ah I do the same on Comic Genesis. At least I try to. ^^;; I rejoined the CG forums during the war and come back every so often to post sketches and just lurk about. I'm not very social though and I generally perfer to lurk so I haven't done that great of a job.

I don't know if I mentioned this but I found out about DD from Megatokyo forums. Comic Genesis or Keenspace as it was known at the time, was having problems so I was waiting to get a comic account. Geocities had disabled hotlinking and Photobucket wasn't around yet. So someone posted a thread about some comic hosting site that allows you to hotlink. Maybe we can upload our images there and then hotlink it for our forum threads? Then Volte6 came on it and urged us to give it a shot. So I did, liked the place, did my comics, stuck around, etc etc. :) The forums was really what hooked me to the place. I was never very good at very populated areas so I felt kind of lost in Keenspace's forums. DD was small then though so I had a nicer time at the forums.

I actually did get my Keenspace/Comic Genesis account in the end but by then I was already doing my thing on DD so I didn't bother much with it.

Dumok
Dumok
Posted at

Well I heard About Drunk Duck on the Gigcast and I finally decided to check it out. I then decided to Mirror My webcomic here so I could get more exposure, I like the community and the Bells and whistles here. Plus folks tend to respond more here than at the other site. But CG was my first host so I guess I like having both sites up. Yes Yes Yes I know call me a Shameless whore and get it over with.

ssbguy
ssbguy
Posted at

I saw a good sprite comic on the duck while surfing the net. I decided, "I'll make a comic, too!" after getting a short tutoring from Genki, an independent spriter, I made my first comic series: "Kirby's Krazy Komic." it was terrible, enough said. after improving a bit, I made "Video Game Characters Unite!" or VGCU for short. it wasn't as bad, but I still needed some work and it was still sloppy. after making more neat comics, I made the first Sprite Smash Brothers, which wasn't to the point. it was too random. after the Great Duck Crash, I made the now-cancelled, but more to-the-point version of Sprite Smash. now my current updating comic is Crazy Author Antics.

I hope I didn't go overboard by chronicling my time on the Duck.

Krensada
Krensada
Posted at

I came here for the simplicity of the comic upload system and great page layouts. And i stay here cause of all the friendly people! and keenspace was too confusing for me to figure out!

gothicpoet
gothicpoet
Posted at

i chose DD because….lets see..

1. i didn't know HMTL at the time of my comic creations. (and i still don't know it)

2. it is very easy to upload on and takes jpegs (which is what my comic is in most of the time)

3. comicgenesis and keenspace, while i was accepted at one of them, i just didn't feel like moving my comic ALL over there (with now 30 actuall issues, profiles, and galleries… it would be a bitch)

4. the pervious site on which i originally tried to get my comic fucked up…bad.

5. its easy access from school.

6. i'm just too lazy to go find another place.

i love DD though, its awsome. i know alot of people who use it and have mirrors on here.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.