Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

Everyone has a stereotype, be it Asians being good at mathematics, Europeans always drinking wine, Americans having megaphones in their voice boxes, Canadians being pleasant, etc.

So, and I'm talking about you yourself, what is your favourite stereotype about you people?

For me? I guess it's that all Aussies know how to wrestle crocs

D0m
D0m
Posted at

I think your question was oddly worded. =P

Being a black guy, people seem to expect me to talk and act a certain way. The usual response I get when I first talk to someone on the phone is "You don't sound like a black guy…" As if I had lied to them. I'm expected to like certain types of music, be interested in things I find very stupid, and use really bad slang. I could go on and on with these- I got a bunch.

As far as being male, I'm amused when I'm expected to like sports and know about cars. We didn't watch sports growing up. :D Someone else can back me up on this one…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ha! Most Aussie stereotypes are stupid… Mainly because Aussies really aren't that interesting really, as a species, so we play up to our caricatures :P

In reality we're the same as Poms, Yanks, New Zealanders, Canadians…

As for Fave stereotype; the wiley bushi, all in khaki, knowing the secret ways of the outback…
*made popular LOOONG before Irwin was old enough to grow his first blonde mullet, or even be born for that matter.:)

Posted at

I'd say it's the stiff-upper-lip accent in my case. I don't know a single person who actually speaks like that, and it's really funny when American folk are all "But you don't sound British!"
No, no. This is just how British people actually sound. >:3

suzi
suzi
Posted at

I'd say it's the stiff-upper-lip accent in my case. I don't know a single person who actually speaks like that, and it's really funny when American folk are all "But you don't sound British!"
No, no. This is just how British people actually sound. >:3

In their defense, I've known quite a few British people with the "stiff-upper-lip" accent. I've been told it's more regional than anything.

Myself? uhh…I don't know. I don't tend to even consider myself in the populations that are stereotyped. Yeah, I'm American, but I don't consider myself American enough to be like "Oh, America stereotypes reflect on me" (true or not). I'm female, but I never define myself by my gender, so female stereotypes never catch my attention unless someone applies them directly to something I'm doing.

I guess the best one would be that I'm white, and very clumsy. So white jokes often make me smile a little more.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

I am an Asian (Filipino) guy but I dont think I have many stereotypes present such as having immensely large circles of friends. In high school, Filipinos would pack 1/4th of the cafeteria. As if its one big group. I tagged along the big group to protect me from hostile forces. :)

I also think that I dont have close family ties that is common with Filipino folk. Generally speaking, Filipino families are more stable than that of other races.

Anyway I think I'm stereotyped as the lone wolf. As observed in my other forum posts, I often attract disagreement and get called insane. As if I NEVER get to be part of 'normal' human society. As if my brain frequency is different from the rest.

I've always been observed to think differently from the others. I remember getting grades in the 90s range and being always in the top 3 high scorers in every test in school. At least from nursery to 3rd grade. I've learned how to read and write and demonstrate a high mathematical ability at age 2. While Dr. Jose Rizal learned literacy at age 3. (its not in the Wikipedia article but in other Filipino history books I've read) However I succumbed to 'peer pressure' and treated my intelligence as a bad thing.

Even in school at an early age, my parents were always notified about my different behavior than the other children. I remember seeing them often in school talking to the principal even if I've never done anything wrong.

It could be that I'm the one who is insane or could be the other way around where I'm one of the few more evolved humans. I apologize for the seeming arrogance of this post.

God knows the truth.

Posted at

However I succumbed to 'peer pressure' and treated my intelligence as a bad thing.

I've been there. For the first two years of high school, you got a right ribbing if you didn't pretend that you were stupid like most of the rest of your class. :/

Another thing I love about being British is the tea-drinking stereotype, because it's actually true. me and my entire family drink copious amounts of tea, and so do our neighbours and the whole of our town, and probably most of the rest of the country, too. And it's always Yorkshire Tea. XD

Posted at

Um. . . I really like tea and crumpets?

I can't actually think of stereotype that applies to me, most of them are southern (posh accents, handlebar moustaches, being called Ramsbottom), and the only northern ones I can think of don't apply to me. I've never said 'oo-ar' in my life.

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

I'd say it's the stiff-upper-lip accent in my case. I don't know a single person who actually speaks like that […]
Absolutely. And it also applies regionally, within the UK. I come from the East End of London and people always look surprised when I don't sound like I've just finished working on a stall selling cockles and mussels in some back-street market.

Also I don't drink tea. I'm generally regarded with intense suspicion when I tell people that. It's like I must be a spy, pretending to be English but having accidentally let my disguise slip!

Posted at

Also I don't drink tea. I'm generally regarded with intense suspicion when I tell people that. It's like I must be a spy, pretending to be English but having accidentally let my disguise slip!
Hah. Even people I know that don't actually drink it still have some teabags in one of their kitchen cupboards or something.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Um. . . I really like tea and crumpets?
Doesn't everyone? ^^

crocty
crocty
Posted at

"Tally ho and whatnot, yellow teeth, big ben, tea and crumpets."

(-_-) I'm sick of American shows doing that.
So now I actually act like that.

I SHOWED THEM!

amanda
amanda
Posted at

I'm from Texas, so I'm expected to:
1. have a slow Southern drawl
2. ride and/or own horses
3. own a gun and polish it lovingly.
4. wear boots (with or without spurs).
It's typically funny more than anything to see the innocent surprise on people's faces when they expect Texas-girl and get me!

Posted at

I usually get freak, geek, or anarchist.

I've accepted freak as something anyone who thinks outside mainstream standards gets called and laugh when people think their 'typing me. Geek gets thrown around when I let my old school comic shlong out to play.

Anarchist i like, I take that one as someone trying to boost my ego and ask them if the want to join fight club.

I'm with D0m on the sports and cars thing too. neither one has ever held much interest for me and some of my buddies still get confused when i don't talk about football or know what engine fits into what car.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm from Texas, so I'm expected to:
1. have a slow Southern drawl
2. ride and/or own horses
3. own a gun and polish it lovingly.
4. wear boots (with or without spurs).
What about the hat? Gotta have the hat! ;)

Posted at

One fun stereotype about me is the whole German thing. I think people think I'm a Nazi when I tell them I lived there for most of my young life.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I live in West Virginia. Um, I guess I'm a big failure since I'm not pregnant or living in a trailer/shack/"holler" and don't have any relatives at all in this part of the country aside from my brother, whom I am not particularly attracted to. Plus that pesky master's degree… I'm such an bad West Virginian. :-P

However, I've met my share of stereotypes, so I can't say they are entirely unfounded. If you stray from the main roads, it can get scary – My parents moved to Virginia recently, and I have to say that it is considerably scarier over there.

Oh, but I am fat and unemployed with no health insurance, so God bless America.

Posted at

Haha really? Wow some are just weird I suppose.

He doesn't suspect. Find him tomorrow and put him to the flame.

Posted at

I'm half asian, and I don't really fit the stereotype. I suck at math. Big time.

But I guess there's some ways I could fit. I play DDR, I like (certain) anime, and I can't drive. Mainly because I haven't yet started. I'm also in an orchestra.

But since I qualify for only a few points of the stereotype, doesn't that make it right, since I'm half Korean?

Hmmm…

(Wow, it's a pain in the ass typing with a Wii remote…)

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

My cousin, my fellow asian friend and I have this joke of calling each other the wrong name, playing on the stereotype that we all look the same.

We stand next to each other in an attempt to confuse others. Doesn't really work when you have a cousin a lot shorter than yourself.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

I have big feet…
yeah that's a funny one. -__-

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

You know what they say about guys with big feet…

Big socks.

and big shoes.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

You know what they say about guys with big feet…

Big socks.
What about big spurs?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.