Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

The basic assumption is that all cities which are playing a role in individual characters' comics are existing in the same world… apart from Energize and Relik, I think that would be pretty much equal the real world. But even those cities are modelled after the regular superhero type of "metropolis", I'd say, apart from some very specific places which haven't been important for HU so far (I think). Come to think of it, most have taken place in NY, what with UN HQ (and thus, HU HQ) being located there.

Posted at

The basic assumption is that all cities which are playing a role in individual characters' comics are existing in the same world… apart from Energize and Relik, I think that would be pretty much equal the real world. But even those cities are modelled after the regular superhero type of "metropolis", I'd say, apart from some very specific places which haven't been important for HU so far (I think). Come to think of it, most have taken place in NY, what with UN HQ (and thus, HU HQ) being located there.

What do you mean by this, man? Relik's world is very much real, Sah! Why, you'd have to be blind not to see the many aliens invading our lives every week! Why, just the other day…oh, wait… sorry, had a reality-blur for a second there: Doctor Who is NOT real, Dave! My bad…

But anyway, yeah I think I understand what you mean, and I'm partially serious about what i just said - Ranosians (aliens) aside, the world I base 'Relik' in is very-much centered in the real world. And as for how it coincides with HU and HA and other characters? I could make a short list:

1) Ages ago, Lit and Dan had a character-ref swapping event, placing PowerPatriot logos within a shop in Acrobat and (I think) someone wearing an Acro t-shirt in Relik. If not, there'll be kids wearing them when 'The Freerunner' finally kicks off!
2) PowerPatriot has helped Exocet beat the Darkness in the past.
3) Azumorph was inspired by the life of PowerPatriot, I believe…
4) SHELL has commented, in the past, about the PowerPatriot movies, and how much he hated them and Brad in particular, not knowing at the time that Relik - who was standing right next to him - was Brad.

I think that's everything… but expect quite a bit of HU (and even old HA *wink-wink* Fuku knows what I'm talking about) referrences to come in Relik… when it finally picks up steam for good.

Dave

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Nice compilation of cross-references! ^_^

But anyway, yeah I think I understand what you mean, and I'm partially serious about what i just said - Ranosians (aliens) aside, the world I base 'Relik' in is very-much centered in the real world.
Ah, sorry, misunderstanding: What I meant was, except for Energize and Relik, the locations referred to in the comics represent real-life locations. I wasn't talking about the inhabitants or the events taking place in these locations. (DOES Relik take place in a fictional city? Maybe not and I'm just mixing things up. I'm certain about Energize though.)

The following could be considered off-topic, but I thought it would need adressing nonetheless.

someone wearing an Acro t-shirt in Relik
That's ambiguous: It could mean that Acrobat is a fictional character in Relik's world, just as he is in the real (that is, our) world. I had people in Acrobat wear "A.D 1997" t-shirts, but by that I just assumed that "A.D 1997" was a comic book in Acrobat's reality. Just saying: Outside of HU & HA, whether characters coexist in the same world is pretty much open. At this point I am not acknowledging that all of the characters which appeared in HU/HA also exist in the reality of Bombshell's regular comic. For me, it's not that important (I'm not that OC when it comes to cross-over continuity), but someone (I'm looking at you, Al!! :P Just kidding) might say, why won't superpowered beings interfere in Bombshell's world when she interacts with them on HU/HA? So, officially I have to insist that the HU/HA world is a sort of parallel reality…

Posted at

Seconded. Pararell world.

In mainstream Virtus continuity, HU and HA is nothing more than webcomics. And if a REAL crossover ever came to be, interdimensional travel would be implemented. No shared universe here.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

REFERENCE FOR CHAPTER 3:

Locations:
- HA Base of Operations sketches available
- HU Commander's Office see HU: Fury
- Berlin see below

Characters:
- Bleeder reference available
- The Guardian reference available
- Blue Jay reference available
- Bombshell reference available
- Peligroso & Wraith reference available
- Mr Imp reference available
- HU Commander reference available (same as HU: Fury)
- Relik reference available
- Azumorph reference available
- Comet Kid reference available
- Kaleidoskop #1 & #2 reference available
- Thrawn reference available
- Metahuman supremacist group (see also sux' designs here) SOME NEEDED (Three done by sux, but we need a few more.)
- Leftist terrorist group SOME NEEDED (One done by sux, needs only a little modification to generate maybe five of them.)
- Guido Westerwelle, German foreign minister reference available

Props:
- Hecate (Peligroso's motorbike) reference available
- Mystical artefact reference available

Note #1: I'd like to keep the "classified" bits under wraps for now, so there'll be a bit of surprise when I send the scripts out :3

Note #2: I think the only characters we need to create from scratch are the two groups - the metahuman supremacist group and a leftist terrorist group. Anybody wanna take a shot, knock yourselves out (compare designs by sux here). These should simply look more or less like what you'd expect Neo-Nazis and leftist terrorists to look like. The Neo-Nazi types have to be quasi-supervillains, able to hold their own against most HU/HA members. The leftist terrorists don't need that physicality, but to spice things up, I was thinking of throwing a bit of a cyberpunk style into the mix. These are basically pale skinny nerds imagining themselves to be Palestinian freedom fighters, or something like that.

Gathering location references…

Location of the showdown:
BERLIN - Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg Gate)
, separating East and West Berlin between 1961 and 1989 & Pariser Platz (Paris Square).

Or search google for more pics…

Location of the opening scene: BERLIN - Oranienburger Strasse

Or search google for more pics…

Posted at

Metahuman Supremacists and no Virtus? Oh well, some people get to have all the fun. XD

Does the supremacist group have a name yet? Super-Human Independence Troop? Hehe, yeah, I'm terrible. ;) You had a good word there though… Quazi. The Quazis? Come on people, throw in ideas.

Posted at

National Metahuman Fundamentalist

Posted at

National Metahuman Fundamentalist
Somehow I doubt they'd be a national group.

(Okay, that wasn't constructive ^^; )

Hahah no it is constructive :P

I was trying to do a funny acronym, but that is hard to do hahah XD

Oh I tried to do a Leftist for the story, I personally like it, and I tried to make it that kinda Urban/Cyberpunk sorta look.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Not sure about the radioactive sign, but it might be funny if each of them had a different sign on their chest. Like the punks in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns… not remembering whether they had similar signs, but I just mean: we could play with these stereotypes a bit. Anyway, nice one!

Posted at

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Not sure about the radioactive sign, but it might be funny if each of them had a different sign on their chest. Like the punks in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns… not remembering whether they had similar signs, but I just mean: we could play with these stereotypes a bit. Anyway, nice one!

Thank you :D

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Reference sheets for the two German superheroes and Peligroso and Wraith (click on the images to see the original size):

On the left is the first Kaleidoskop (that's the German spelling, not a typo). [spoiler]He dies an ugly death in HA #3.[/spoiler] One of the first German superheroes to appear after WWII, he is a regular, if well trained, human called Karl Leitner, but the gadgets in his kevlar-padded suit give him power over light - there are light collectors on his forehead and chest. He can shoot beams out of the projectors on his forearms, and he can manipulate the intensity of the rays. The collectors, projectors and the rays themselves resemble kaleidoscopes. (Here's a nice tutorial on how to create kaleidoscope effects in Photoshop very easily.)

On the right is the second Kaleidoskop, who has recently become the first one's sidekick. (To avoid confusion, they will refer to each other as "senior" and "junior", or "No. 1" and "No. 2".) She is a 21-year old social worker whose parents immigrated from Turkey to Germany. I have yet to find a good name for her. She can also manipulate light, but doesn't need any gadgets to do that. She also has other "regular" superhuman powers, like flight, invulnerabilty and super-strength, but each of these aren't too well developed yet.

Peligroso's design is pretty much based on this artwork by MrHades:

The only thing I really changed is the mask. Everything should be pretty self-explanatory… Wraith's feet burn. Yup. There's an evil mouth floating in front of his face, but I need to point out that this detail is a homage to JUMP and should not be used anywhere else but on HA #3. Floating mouth is off-limits everywhere else. Otherwise, the author of JUMP will beat me up and leave me for dead in some filthy alley. And it'll be YOUR fault.

Posted at

I love the designs for Peligroso and Wraith :) I love the green veins and the mouth that floats, course the feet are bad ass :D, Abt you have done an amazing job :D

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Wes_Nero123 sent me sketches and info for the HA base:

The base was once an under-sea observatory (for ocean floor and tectonic plate activity) built by Dr. Cory Fitzpatrick and funded by the U.S. government. Years later Dr. Fitzpatrick would go insane ((for reasons I will keep to myself for now :P)) and become the supervillian known as "PsycoPat" and use the base for his own twisted means until he was defeated by Mr. Imp.

-The base can only be reached by teleportation (Imp has a teleportation key from his battle) or a submarine that can reach that depth.

Posted at

Nice :D

Posted at

Reference request:

Mystical Artifact
Westerwelle (I think he may be in other artist's pages)

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Here you go :3

Reference for Thrawn/Mystical artifact:

Click here for Thrawn's info page

What's falling to the ground on the page below is his heart - the artifact. It's more or less just a stone.

I quickly compiled some panels/pages from Shades (click on it for full size). The first and last panels here show his wounds and open chest.

For more pics, I suggest looking up the last two chapters of Shades (he first appears in ch. 12).

And now for something completely different… a politician instead of a demon. Er…

Reference for Guide Westerwelle, the current German foreign minister:

To me he always seems like a schoolboy pretending to be an elder statesman :P

Reference for Hecate, Peligroso's bike:

…coming up later this week.

Meechi
Meechi
Posted at

Definitely can't wait to get a hold of that reference for Hecate. Seeing as it's an important opening part of page 3…I kind of need it =P.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

All right, here's reference for Hecate (click on the image for full size):

Man, vehicle designs are tough! If my designs are vague in places, feel free to fill up the holes in my designs with the following references (because these are the ones I used myself):

Posted at

Kanada's Bike= Win :D

I think I figured out a good name for the Meta Group

Meta Supremacist Front

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Just to clarify a few things while I'm still in sort of a rough stage, exactly how many gang members are present in this opening scene? There are 5 that are visible in the script, but should there be more "stand-ins" for the brawl? Also, looking at the references Sux provided, is this the agreed upon look of the group?
Good question! Actually, this is something that should be discussed between all artists who get to draw the gang members. The reference sux provided is fine, and can be used as a springboard for the individual designs. One option would be for every artist to design one or two gang members, then swap designs with the other artists (or rather, just post them in the forums).

And yes, there might be more "stand-ins", but that's also open to the artists' decision. Again, this should be worked out and posted on the forums.

EDIT:

I deliberately didn't design these guys myself, because I don't want to control the entire look of the comic :P But since they aren't described in the script either, I'd just like to add that when writing the script, I pictured a rather diverse group of characters here. Some really tall and bulky, some scrawny, etc. And each of these could have some sort of weird mutation or something, since we are dealing with a metahuman group. Or one could be a lizard man or something. Whatever you like! ^_^

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

The five Terrorists that appear on page 2 of HU3:

Glowy-Man(?)name needed/powers!:

The Lump:
Big lump of fat who's skin is a weapon that chokes/constricts… dough like.

Ghost-Face:
Emits swirling mists that can choke/obscure. Firece close combatant.

Grey-Ghoul
Think of a cheap Green Goblin rip-off ;)

Need a female to round this out:
———————————–

Anyone? Will edit post when I get a design

Posted at

Glowy-Man(?)name needed/powers!:
Neon sounds like a good name for glowey guy :P
as for powers…. some kind of energy…perhaps a neon laser or something like that :)

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

Neon, that'll do nicely :)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.