Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Horrible design!!!!!!! Stupid designers who are shiz at their jobs!- in films, games etc.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

It was based on the works of John howe and Alan lee, but your point still stands.  Personally Ilike the look of the films overall.  I did think the look of Moris was a bit weak though, it seemed aesthetic designed as opposed to functional for the dour dwarves.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I'm only a crumudgen when someone won't admit that the evidence indicates.  I keep forgetting that evidence doesn't matter only apearances and opinion.  Maybe the designers actually wanted a more historically accurate look that doesn't match one version of iconic aesthetic. If you did check the dates you'd discover that the types were often used concurrently.   At least that's what the current reasearch indicates about the standard hoplite panalopy according to the books I have checked.

There's also the iconic "Roman" look as opposed to the reality and that's just as irritating. In fact the iconic look is much more common that the real Legionaires uniform.

It's the iconic aesthetics that German WWII soldiers always had neat pleated pockets and wore knee length boots.  But it's not accurate and I hate it. I jump out of my chair when I see a movie that actually has "retreat" gaiters and the plain pocket M1942 tunic.  I actually prefer seeing the German's wearing World War I helmets and gear because at least there's the excuse that in 1943 the real stuff wasn't available.  Though there are a handful of British wartime movies where they used actual captured German gear.  Any number of otherwise good movies are ruined by using the Hollywood German soldier look and it took movies 40 years to finally acknowledge what the average landser really looked like. Look at the difference between The Longest Day and A Bridge too Far.  Then there's how much I love seeing German tankers actually wearing German tanker uniforms. 

As far as seconds that Tom Cruise wears his mask, he's in that plane he wears it.  Every time he removes it its for a valid reason that any pilot would be expected to remove their mask.  Pilots do that.  Real pilots really do only wear their masks about as much as Tom Cruise did because they're stuffy and uncomfortable. 

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Slides imperceptibly behind Sgtbravo's line…

What?  I was here all along.

Darwin
Darwin
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
As far as seconds that Tom Cruise wears his mask, he's in that plane he wears it.  Every time he removes it its for a valid reason that any pilot would be expected to remove their mask.  Pilots do that.  Real pilots really do only wear their masks about as much as Tom Cruise did because they're stuffy and uncomfortable.
Erm…having worked in Naval aviation for 21 years (Two combat cruises)…I can tell you that pilots actually only rarely take off their masks.  While the cockpit of the plane is pressurized, it is not oxygenated enough to sustain life at altitude.  The mask is their only sure source of oxygen in flight and it is also the only means by which the crew of the jet can communicate with base and each other - so you will find that the mask stays on except when they are on the ground - despite how uncomfortable it is on their face.  The middle of a dogfight is NOT going to be the place for them to remvoe their mask out of frustration - trust me.

I was an avid fan of Top Gun until I started working with the very jets they portrayed.  BTW the ejection seat has two release handles and he would have been more than capable at a flat spin to reach the one between his legs…but I digress.  The movie was riddled with flaws - still a fun movie, but there are a lot of moments that are technically not accurate.  The flat spin…believe it or not…is a truth about the F-14.  It happened very shortly after I got into my command over Catalina island, and just like in the movie, the RIO was killed by hitting the canopy which did not peel back properly because of the vacuum created in that situation.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

The way Goose died is actually true to real life F-14s???  OMFG my respect for that movie just shot up 1000 fold.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
I'm only a crumudgen when someone won't admit that the evidence indicates.  I keep forgetting that evidence doesn't matter only apearances and opinion.  Maybe the designers actually wanted a more histori
No Bravo, you're just being a dick. Sorry, but I had to call you out. This wasn't about being an absolute stickler for historical accuracy, you keep ignoring that, but you are very obviously wrong on that count anyway since at the time when the Trojan wars were supposed to have been fought none of those helmet styles you talk about had been invented yet and they didn't even use metal for helmets according to the archaeological record.That was much later.

The movie designers just picked styles from later in history and modified them to make them just a little "gayer".
THIS is the iconic look, the way the heroes are ALWAYS depicted on vases, bass relief, mosaics and statues:

That's Ajax and Achilles there. ;)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.