Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

HA #9 - Wrath of the Zombie Queen (page assignments & references)

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

I need a picture of kaine. Is there a forum where all characters are listed?

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

cdmalcolm1 wrote:I need a picture of kaine. Is there a forum where all characters are listed?

Also can I do page 9 in act 2. I didn't realize it. I started drawing it. If not let me know iron.

Posted at

I'd need to have a reference picture for Kaine as well(I did find a hero called Kain the White Shadow from the forums but I'm not sure is he the mentioned character) plus for Peligroso's motorcycle.

I noticed that many have started working on their pages already so I wanted to ask how the things are usually done here? I'm asking this because I was originally going to wait until seeing Byth1's pages so I could keep the continuity between the pages by different artists consistant but since some have already started should I just start working as soon as possible and not think too much about it?

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

irrevenant wrote:
It sounds like you already found the answer to this. I just wanted to add that another good source of information on characters (including pictures)  is the HUniverse wiki at huniverse.wikia.com
cdmalcolm1 wrote:
I need a picture of kaine. Is there a forum where all characters are listed?
Cool. thank you very much. I just did the pencils for page 9 2nd act. all I have to do is finish up Kaine and I'm done for now
PS: If since page 9 is not assised to me, Can I use the page as promotional piece?  anyone?
Friday or saturday I'm going to start penciling page 10.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I added Peligroso, Wraith, Hecate and Kaine to the "references" folder.

cdmalcolm1: I'm not sure if ironhand has started on his version of act 2 page 9 yet, so we may still use it as the official one… we will see what ironhand says.

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

CD, you can have Page 9 if I can have Page 10?

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

ironhand wrote:CD, you can have Page 9 if I can have Page 10?

It was my bad for jumping the gun on page nine, sorry about that iron. You can draw page 9. I'll just finish it out and make it a promo piece. I will not use any of the script and add other heroes to it if Abt lets me. Or I just might just use one panel as a promo.

I started page ten a little early today. Hoping to have the pencils done this week end. Thank you Irrevenant for the wiki links.

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

If you've already drawn Page 9, I'm fine with you just going with that. I dont just having the final three pages in Act 3.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

ALL ARTISTS: I've sent around a few PQs and dropbox invites, so please check the first post in this thread to see if all the information next to your name is correct (and/or you actually received the invite)!

irrevenant: Excellent, congrats on finishing your first page!

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Another thing - I just added reference of Coldcut to the dropbox folder, but was wondering whether we should also give him a RISE costume. I like the design as it is, but touching it up a bit with red details would go a long way to identify him as a member of RISE, I think.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Someone's attributed Act 2, Page 12 in there to me - Act 1, Page 12 is mine, but not that one.  I think it might be Shasta's?
EDIT: Yup, Shasta's.  I've renamed it accordingl. :)

Can we clarify what colour zombies are, please?  Based on some of the other artwork, I may need to tweak mine. >_>

Thanks.

shastab24
shastab24
Posted at

Yeah, Act 2 Page 12 is mine.  I need to draw 13 and 14 still, as well, and then jump on to act 3 (which I just saw has been posted now).

Byth1
Byth1
Posted at

Yo Abt, just sent you my e-mail for the drop box thing.

Posted at

I was wondering if someone could direct me to some scenes taking place inside the HU Commander's office or if there was possibly a rough layout of the room just so I have a better understanding of how it's structured. The scenes in HU: Fury are rather helpful for the most part.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I uploaded the schematic I made for HU: Fury to the references folder. I think there are also some scenes in her office in HU: The Darkness Within.

Posted at

Thanks! These are really great! And just for clarification, is the coffee machine in the storage shelf by the window?

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Yes, exactly. Here's the scene in "The Darkness Within" which takes place in her office: https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Heroes_Unite/5185350 By the way, on the wall behind/above the Commander's head (when she's sitting at her desk) hangs a framed reproduction of “Pastoral” by Henri Matisse: http://www.luxuo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/pastoral-henri-matisse.jpg

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

HedonisticActor wrote:I'd need to have a reference picture for Kaine as well(I did find a hero called Kain the White Shadow from the forums but I'm not sure is he the mentioned character) plus for Peligroso's motorcycle. I noticed that many have started working on their pages already so I wanted to ask how the things are usually done here? I'm asking this because I was originally going to wait until seeing Byth1's pages so I could keep the continuity between the pages by different artists consistant but since some have already started should I just start working as soon as possible and not think too much about it?

You bring up a good point. I know we have a reference page, but would it be helpful if we have a make shift storyboard like an outline. I can't really explain it right but like items and backgrounds that should be consistent between artists.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

It *would* be nice to standardise our approach to references a little more: Have full character turnarounds for all the major characters - the "Alpha Omega" one is a great example. And yeah, key items and locations too.  It would probably even be useful to have a Dropbox folder for key recurring references: The core team, HA Headquarters, etc.

As a colourist I'd also like to request that references be in colour. For HA #8 I coloured the building where the big battle took place based on a black and white sketch. :/

And, as mentioned earlier, currently our 'finished' folder contains pages that differ on something as fundamental as what colour zombies are. (Can someone *please* give me a definitive answer on that?) 

We're all volunteers and we don't wait to straitjacket people. I'd definitely not suggest having pre-prepared layout storyboards for each page, for example - that would suck a lot of fun out of it for our artists.  Just a single source of truth for key setting details would be very, very useful. 

cdmalcolm1 wrote:
You bring up a good point. I know we have a reference page, but would it be helpful if we have a make shift storyboard like an outline. I can't really explain it right but like items and backgrounds that should be consistent between artists.

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

Still confused as to who is drawing Act 2: Page 9? Is it me or CD?

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

ironhand wrote:Still confused as to who is drawing Act 2: Page 9? Is it me or CD?

You can draw page nine iron. I've moved on to page ten. The one I drew will be for a promo.

As for the outline, I ment exactly like a turn around but for items and places. Even if a fraction of the person place or thing was drawn, I think it would be ok. Nothing too serious. The only things that remain static are the heroes and villains we draw for the stories.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Consistency between different artists has always been a problem for HU and HA. Everything important - characters, tools, buildings - have to be designed and accounted for as reference, but we've always avoided specifically designing the general backgrounds, but rather have photos as a general inspiration. If somebody were to put in the additional work, I wouldn't complain though ;)

Specifically, I think we'd need some shots of downtown Darwin for act 2 and 3. If anyone finds some, please add them to the dropbox folder.

Also, regarding the Zombie's colour - who's the authority on this issue? Possibly AzuJOD, because he created the Zombie Queen?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.