Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

I looked up the Danner Fort Lewis boots and they cost as much as a new netbook computer! I am sure they come in handy for the harsh East Coast winters. My dad always says that shoes are the best investment because you have to take care of your feet. I assume that the DFL boots don't restrict ankle movement so you can run in them. They were made for the military afterall.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Boots:

Yeah, those Danner Fort Lewis boots are like 2-3 times what I could afford to spend. I'm also not convinced that they would be warm enough, because they're probably intended as all-season boots. As much as I love military-style boots in terms of fashion.

@kawaii: I wouldn't be so averse to ugly functional boots, except that I don't have a locker or anything at school. Whatever I wear outside, I also have to deal with inside where I like to dress fairly nicely. Sorels and skirts aren't the best match past the age of 7 or so.

Weddings:

Haha, this is exactly why I'm having issues with this. I have also been told that the wedding gift is meant to account for the cost of being fed etc. at the reception, which is why I'm confused.

If I do get a gift, what kind of kitchen appliances do people give? And what's cheap but not tacky? I can't afford much right now.

Ugh, being a grown up is the worst. Is it tacky to ask them directly what they want?

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Some couples make a list. It wouldn't be out of order to ask them if they have one and might get you somewhere.

You can't beat a nice toaster in my opinion. Better still, a nice toast rack - that'll last forever. Picture the scene many years from now: a doddery old couple at the breakfast table - one reaches to the back of the cupboard in a futile search for marmalade and what should emerge but your toast rack, smart as the day it was bought.

They won't remember when and where they got it of course, but there it will sit, guarding two slices of slightly burnt Dempsters, half a century after all the other presents have gone to the great charity shop in the sky.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
Better still, a nice toast rack - that'll last forever. Picture the scene many years from now: a doddery old couple at the breakfast table - one reaches to the back of the cupboard in a futile search for marmalade and what should emerge but your toast rack, smart as the day it was bought.

They won't remember when and where they got it of course, but there it will sit, guarding two slices of slightly burnt Dempsters, half a century after all the other presents have gone to the great charity shop in the sky.
I read this and realized how empty my married life has been without a toast rack. 

A good pair of boots is not a purchase but an investment. They're supposed to last you a few decades. But there are FAR cheaper alternatives to the Danner Fort Lewis boots. Got to shop around. I know entirely too much about footware from my time in the service but i still did a ton of research to figure what to get when I needed to replace my jungleboots last year.  Between Amazon and Zappos you can't go wrong.

Everything in cold weather is layering. The Fort Lewis boots are warm enough for the coldest climates and in fact are too well insulated for summer in New Jersey. I've worn my Danners in real arctic weather and lots of snow. My feet were always cozy. But these days my feet are just fine in a normal pair of combat boots. The Danners are TOO cozy. I keep them for blizzards.

But you gotta wear the right socks. A nice pair of wool boot socks for the winter and cotton athletic socks for the rest of the year. And when it finally gets above 55 Fahrenheit out come the jungle boots. 

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

With wedding gifts, I wouldn't bother. Just show up and pretend you have no idea about them. But that's just me. :)

About boots… These Australin style army boots lasted me SO well through uni. WAY too hot in summer (swimmingpools of sweat), but so taosty in winter. I heated them up and rubbed Snowseal into the leather to protect from the rain.
I bought them originally only as models for my paintings of Pinky back when she was still just part of a painting series.
When Bianka modled Pinky at San Diego she had the soles buffed down and new platform ones added:

Bianka wearing them at Comic Con: https://flic.kr/p/a6m3uw

This is what they look like now… but scratched yp on the toes, in need of a polish, but still great boots. I don't wear them because of those raised soles now though XD

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:

This is what they look like now… but scratched yp on the toes, in need of a polish, but still great boots. I don't wear them because of those raised soles now though XD
Even I at 5'11" enjoy the added couple of inches in height my combat boots give me. Nothing wrong with a little platform. 
 The 1990's era speedlace boots are what I wear these days. No grip on that sole but the muck comes out of it easy. But the heel promises to last forever.  However these boots took forever to break in and they kill your feet along the way.  They need a road march to break them in or running up and down 6 fligths of stairs every night.

Now if I can just get a new heel put on my tanker boots I'll be set.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I don't understand how some people don't like cats. If I could write poems I would write a love poem for mine. Annie does this really sweet thing where she lowers her head for a kiss, and then gently touches her nose to my forehead to give a kiss back.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

HippieVan wrote:

Ugh, being a grown up is the worst. Is it tacky to ask them directly what they want?

In the States many stores (Macys, Crate and Barrel, Pier I) offer a registry service, where the bride/groom create lists of items they like that this store carries. It's super simple because a lot of them are online. So here, it's perfectly normal to ask the bride/groom where they're "registered". Don't know if Canadians have this service or not.

PS–I agree with you about cats.  A quotation I read (can't recall who wrote it): "cats always lay soft" sums up a lot of my perspective toward those graceful, haughty beings.

Well, I'm home again, and it's cold and GRAY. So I'm staying inside and having fun with pictures. We were all armed with a camera and now, among the four of us, there's well over a thousand pictures, probably a hundred good ones. Digital cameras make the "taking of" perhaps too easy.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

I love all beings, except dolphins, spiders, any kind of fish, mosquitos, leeches, other parasites, most humans, dolphins, wasps, flies, dolphins and dolphins. I get why people love cats, and I get why people dislike cats. The biggest reason that some people dislike cats is because cats have no real need for humans. They seem to be just as happy with or without you. Dogs were once wild animals, and they were deformed over many generations until they love and need us. Cats just decided to be pets one day, because it is an easier way to get food.

I think dogs bring more happiness into your life, because you feel that they need you. But there is nothing wrong with loving cats (in a platonic way), and the loud and obnoxious cat-hatred does not help the world in any way.

Some cats, like every single one that one of my neighbors owns, are complete and utter assholes though.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

ayesinback wrote:
In the States many stores (Macys, Crate and Barrel, Pier I) offer a registry service, where the bride/groom create lists of items they like that this store carries. It's super simple because a lot of them are online. So here, it's perfectly normal to ask the bride/groom where they're "registered". Don't know if Canadians have this service or not.

I ended up doing exactly this! I figured they weren't registered anywhere because it wasn't on the invitation, but I thought that would be a better opening to the conversation than "Hey, what the heck do ya guys want?!" I got in touch with the bride and she actually made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I think I tend to expect people to be meaner and more high-strung than they are in reality, even when (as is the case with these people) I know that's not their nature. Probably the result of spending too much time around dysfunctional people. Anyways, she gave me some good ideas of things that would be useful to them and told me that my being there is more important to them than a present in any case. We had a nice talk about how crappy weddings are. :P

ayesinbackwrote:
PS–I agree with you about cats.  A quotation I read (can't recall who wrote it): "cats always lay soft" sums up a lot of my perspective toward those graceful, haughty beings.

That's a lovely quote. :) My cats are alternately soft and very sharp when you touch their bellies, haha. It's a lovely feeling when a cat is lying completely relaxed on your lap, all soft and fluffy.

Kroatzwrote:
The biggest reason that some people dislike cats is because cats have no real need for humans. They seem to be just as happy with or without you.

That's definitely true of some cats, but I think most properly socialized cats enjoy being with humans and some even seem to need humans. My cats cover the spectrum from "I will seek you out for the occasional head rub and otherwise ignore you" to "I need constant attention." I think cat affection is just quieter than dog affection, which I find appealing as a bit of a quiet person. I notice that my cat Annie likes to be near me most of the time, even when she isn't seeking cuddles. She'll sort of follow me quietly from room to room and settle a few feet away from me.

Posted at

Kroatz wrote:
I love all beings, except dolphins, spiders, any kind of fish, mosquitos, leeches, other parasites, most humans, dolphins, wasps, flies, dolphins and dolphins.

I am afraid to ask, but what on earth did a dolphin ever do to you? I am willing to agree with the "most humans" statement, especially while I am driving or if I am a pedestrian and the human is riding a bike.

—-

I am a "Rabbit Person" through and through. If Buddhism turns out to be right all along, then I would like to be reincarnated as a rabbit in my next life (you read it here first, folks!). There are specific breeds of rabbits that I am more drawn to than others and I have sketched them out here:

It was because of my preference for rabbits that it has taken me seven years and a bag of chicken flavored Temptations treats for my sister's pet cat to even acknowledge my presence–we are friends now. At first I thought cats and rabbits were always at odds, but Hippie's pics of her pet cat and rabbit peacefully interacting has taught me that it IS possible for the two species to get along. I also began to get closer to the cat because I stopped sneezing uncontrollably when I am in the same room. Interestingly enough, as soon as my cat allergies ceased being an issue, other allergies that I had previously when I was younger were also eradicated from my body. I credit the feline for boosting my immune system and letting me enjoy spaghetti sauce again.

—-

Oh yes, and wedding gifts I have purchased in the past-
I used the wedding registry, so I assumed anything from that would be appreciated, so I bought the couple a wok with a lid, steamer rack, and some bamboo cooking tools. Marriage is about building the ultimate kitchen. I say, assess your relationship with the couple and whether you are better friends with the bride or groom and then decide on your purchase.

…and that brings me to this "toast rack" Ironscarf mentioned:

Is the functional purpose of this to hold pieces of toast upright after they have been removed from the toaster? I have never seen one of these used in my life. It looks like it belongs in a museum in an exhibit for Marcel Duchamp's ready-mades with placard that says "Untitled Rack #3".

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
At first I thought cats and rabbits were always at odds, but Hippie's pics of her pet cat and rabbit peacefully interacting has taught me that it IS possible for the two species to get along.

For everyone who doesn't have me on Facebook, I was posting about how much my rabbit, Romeo, loves our newest cat, Dandy. And how he doesn't understand boundaries. :P

At least I think those are the photos kawaii is referring to! I've probably posted pictures of cats and rabbits together before. Annie and Juliet, who are the most shy of all our animals, have a pretty good system of peaceful coexistence going on. I've actually had a much harder time getting the two rabbits to get along. Rabbits tend to live in groups, so they're more concerned with their little rabbit hierarchies when they're together. The cats don't seem to care as much about dominance, so they let the rabbits take charge most of the time. (Incidentally, a rabbit trying to punch a cat is adorable.)

Is the functional purpose of this to hold pieces of toast upright after they have been removed from the toaster? I have never seen one of these used in my life. It looks like it belongs in a museum in an exhibit for Marcel Duchamp's ready-mades with placard that says “Untitled Rack #3”.

Yes, that's what they're for! I think these are a British thing. I've never seen one here, but when I stayed with my aunt in London she had one.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Double posting because I don't have the energy to format all my quotes again.

I just about had my first real panic attack in a long time because I'm not so good at the maths. My university calculates our GPA on a 4.5 scale, and I was trying to compare to average law school admissions which were on a 4.0 scale. I thought I could just cross-multiply-divide my GPA and it came up a bit lower than I would have liked, so I was suddenly confronted with the prospect of being forced to re-consider my life plans. Told my dad when he got home and he told me the number I came up with didn't make any sense. Turns out they're calculated differently (A and A+ are both a 4.0? Weird.) and one spreadsheet later I'm actually comfortably above where I need to be. A bit of an emotional rollercoaster there!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

Is the functional purpose of this to hold pieces of toast upright after they have been removed from the toaster? I have never seen one of these used in my life.
I saw them when I was in London. A great thing they can also hold buttered toast upright so you don't have the butter getting on both sides like you do when stacking the toast flat. Makes breakfast a touch more civilized.  

I hate getting my jam on both sides of the toast, where do I hold it? So I could use one. But being an uncivilized Yank my urge for liberty extends to my toast which shall not be shakcled upright but be free to lounge around the plate getting jam everywhere. 

That being said they did have them in Colonial America. Back then toast was hot when you pulled it off the fire.

Posted at

HippieVan wrote:
At least I think those are the photos kawaii is referring to! I've probably posted pictures of cats and rabbits together before.
I was referring to a picture you posted on the forum a loooooong time ago of one cat and one rabbit on a cat tree! I thought it was adorable because I did not know that lagomorphs knew how to climb those things.
bravo1102 wrote:
I hate getting my jam on both sides of the toast
That sounds like a euphemism for something. I do not know what yet, but it would make a great phrase for a shirt design.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

I was referring to a picture you posted on the forum a loooooong time ago of one cat and one rabbit on a cat tree! I thought it was adorable because I did not know that lagomorphs knew how to climb those things.
I had forgotten about that! He hasn't done that in a while, at least as far as I know. That was pretty funny because he was climbing it kind of secretively…usually I would catch him there in the middle of the night.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Dolphins are evil. Google it.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Like dogs, elephants, and hippos the mouth of a dolphin is stuck in a permenant psuedo-grin so people anthropomorphise them into happy, joyous creatures, no matter what they do…
But it's a lie! They're nasty, cold, greedy, hard-bitten fish-goblers!

They can be friendly and playful, but no where near as much as we imagine from the fixed, fake smile. Mostly they just want fish, REALLY badly.

They're lovely creatures to see in the wild though, like seals, dear, kangaroos, whatever. Just remember that their reputations are massively exagerated and often false.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Evil. They rape, do drugs (living drugs), kill babies, gang rape, normal rape, interspecies rape, kill better than sharks do, abuse women, NEVER SLEEP, drag people under water, and they KILL BABIES!

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Is the functional purpose of this to hold pieces of toast upright after they have been removed from the toaster? I have never seen one of these used in my life. It looks like it belongs in a museum in an exhibit for Marcel Duchamp's ready-mades with placard that says "Untitled Rack #3".

Indeed it is! Once the freshly toasted slices are installed in the rack, they are kept apart and air can circulate properly, ensuring a crisp slice with no hint of soggyness. What could be worse than limp and slippery toast before the butter has even had a chance to get aquainted?

And they look rather nice too of course. I didn't realise this was a mostly British thing. Next you'll be telling me you all don't have kettles!

Posted at

@Hippie- Yes! That is the same one. I love how the rabbit (Romeo?) managed to climb inside the cardboard box.

@Ironscarf- All this talk about toast, toast racks, etc. inspired me to toast a piece of bread with real butter (minus the toast rack). I believe the Brits are on to something–it was Delicious! I do not use a tea kettle because they are difficult to clean, so I just boil water in a covered saucepan and pour it in a teapot.

@bravo- Haha at the "bread free of shackles" comment.

Alright, I just perused through some articles on the dangers of dolphins and watched a few youtube videos of dolphins attacking women. The verdict: hilarious.

The "living drugs" dolphins eat to get high are pufferfish. I especially like reading the comments that go along with the dolphin "attack" videos.

Dolphins were my elementary school's mascot. I also grew up with the film "The Big Blue/Le Grand Bleu" which told the story of a deep sea diver who fell in love with a dolphin even though a real life female (Rosanna Arquette) loved him even more. He ends up choosing the dolphin over the human woman at the end and heads out to the open ocean.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:

And they look rather nice too of course. I didn't realise this was a mostly British thing. Next you'll be telling me you all don't have kettles!
We do. In fact it's a cat kettle since we can't have a real live cat.

we call it "dribble kitty" It dribbles but it's so cute. It's also getting rusty so it's getting time to replace it. 

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm currently making my barrel sash mark two.
The first one was made from nice thick parracord with the barrels made out of sawed bits of steel curtain rod wrapped in decorative soutache cord.
This one is being made of 131 meters of 3mm black soutache looped back and forth 28 times. That is a CRAPLOAD of cord. It's slipperry so it's hard to hold and black so it's hard to see. The barrels are made from braided silver bullion thread, which is basically coiled wire in tight little springs. It's amazingly hard to work with. Exhausting. I haven't finished one of the barrels yet and I still have 17 more to go after this T_T

————

I have a toast rack, I never use it though, I like my toast to be juuuuust warm enough, not cold. I stack the slices on my plate just so… sort of slihtly overlapping and they cool to a temp they they don't met the margarine but are just warm enough to be nice.
They use toast racks a lot in hotels around about the place. I'm surprised Kawaii doesn't recall running into one?

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

First time ive ever seen a toast rack as well. It's amazing how many inventions they seem to make for cooking (all the as seen on tv stuff) yet cant make me a microwave that cooks things to the tempature they need to be at.
————–
So I import a lot of stuff from asia since I collect figures and stuff. Most of the time my stuff is shipped by air so I get it pretty fast, but I recently made two expensive orders that had to be shipped by sea. All of the USA's asia imports come through boat at the port of california…where a huge strike is going on. -_- It's affecting tons of businesses right now, stuff is stuck in containers on boats because the dock workers wont unload it. I was supposed to recieve them three weeks ago.

Most frustrating thing is I'm getting mixed news every other day saying the strike is ending and stuff is back on schedule, only to get more news that its in full effect and my stuff wont be leaving til march. Gah. Oh well at least I don't live in some awful place like argentina where I can literally only recieve two import packages a year.

Posted at

I have been to High Tea, cruise ships, and luxury hotels, but I have never seen a toast rack. Most of the ones sold on ebay ship from the United Kingdom, so it is definitely a regional thing. Also, toast is not really an everyday staple in the US. Two triangular cut pieces of bread served on a small plate usually come as a side to accompany breakfast. Jam and bread/butter and bread are not really eaten as a main course.

But when bread is delivered to a table at non-breakfast restaurants, it is served as un/sliced rolls with butter and served in a basket lined with a cloth napkin.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.