Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Mika_yi
Mika_yi
Posted at

Amelius wrote:
I don't think you oversold it Oz, I think that comic's a delight! :D

In other news, did anyone here catch wind of the Tapas kerfuffle? They added something to their TOS– and promptly removed it when people panicked– a "Right of First Refusal" clause. People are leaving in DROVES. Drunk Duck, over here in the shade, sipping his beer and looking on… oh what drama!
Too bad it's a little quiet over here to appeal to webcomics looking for a new host after deleting theirs from tapastic, they seem to be just jumping over to Webtoon. It feels like this place is hardly a blip on the radar anymore :C

I only heard about it because the greater of cosmo song said something about it. I am so out of the loop about things I didn't even know what was going on. But I think someone said it was wording and they took it off after people freaked out. But geez you know more about it then me and I am on that site. Show how much I pay attention.

Mika_yi
Mika_yi
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
I'm going to make a thread asking for site redesigns soon.
I have FINALLY updated our copyright terms to clarify that it's only creators who own their comic rights:
https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/copyright/

I wonder why I never bothered before…
The ending to that! Love it. You know I think I read through the tos long time ago. But this is good and valuable information. Short and to the point.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good!
I don't know why the Wowio people never put that in there… Seems obvious, but they just never thought in terms of the people who actually use the site.

A lot of decisions were made that way I think. Even while the changes were happening it was obvious in a lot of ways- the site because anticommunity… notifications being taken off of messages was a real nail in the coffin.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

My phone died! I only had it less than a year and a half.
It was a great phone too in every respect- wonderfully stylish, fast, light, great looking, worked beautifully. But now it's utterly, irretrievably dead.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
My phone died! I only had it less than a year and a half.
It was a great phone too in every respect- wonderfully stylish, fast, light, great looking, worked beautifully. But now it's utterly, irretrievably dead.
Planned obsolescence crept up on you. Some electronics are manufactured so they wear out in a year or two to force the consumer to buy a new one. But don't tell anyone that, they'll think you're some kind of curmudgeon luddite.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

In this case it's a fault rather than a plan. Apparently it's unique to phone models produced during a certain time period. The manufacturer replaces them- according to cases I've read on the net anyway…
I will see what I can do tomorrow. :/

A full page DD ad:

Posted at

For those people who have occasionally commented on my drawing techniques, I have put up a link to another tutorial video in the the tutorials section. This one is different from my previous ones, in that it doesn't demonstrate the techniques that I use in my comic on this site. It's about the more traditional industrial design style that I use for my commercial work. I hope this doesn't come across too much as self promotion. I'm just trying to share any tips or techniques that might end up being helpful to other artists out there. https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/tutorial/527/

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

fallopiancrusader wrote:
For those people who have occasionally commented on my drawing techniques, I have put up a link to another tutorial video in the the tutorials section. This one is different from my previous ones, in that it doesn't demonstrate the techniques that I use in my comic on this site. It's about the more traditional industrial design style that I use for my commercial work. I hope this doesn't come across too much as self promotion. I'm just trying to share any tips or techniques that might end up being helpful to other artists out there. https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/tutorial/527/
WOW! Amazing work man!!!!
Everyone should watch.

BTW, Pinky TA has updated: https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Pinky_TA/5543232/

BnW
BnW
Posted at

Hello…how could i upload series of pages here??? Becoz it allows me only to upload 1 comic thumbnail and 1 heading …thanks..

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

BnW wrote:
Hello…how could i upload series of pages here??? Becoz it allows me only to upload 1 comic thumbnail and 1 heading …thanks..

Answered on the Tips/Tricks/Support thread. Good luck.

lba
lba
Posted at

I have to ask to make sure I'm not just being a total jerk, but does it drive anyone else here to border-line spitting rage if someone touches anything in their work space? Am I the only one who views their work space as something sacrosanct?

I just came back from a 2 week vacation to find my garbage can full of boxes, and that someone had gone around hanging a bunch of fly traps all over, and I cussed someone out because of it. I mean, I realize it's probably an over-reaction, but my shop has to stay perfectly clean because it's where I have to make a living and it's about the only private space I have where 90% of my life takes place, so I get really touchy when people mess with it even in the slightest. I'm just wondering if other artists and designers are the same way, or if I'm just being a total golem about it.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

lba wrote:
I have to ask to make sure I'm not just being a total jerk, but does it drive anyone else here to border-line spitting rage if someone touches anything in their work space? Am I the only one who views their work space as something sacrosanct?

I just came back from a 2 week vacation to find my garbage can full of boxes, and that someone had gone around hanging a bunch of fly traps all over, and I cussed someone out because of it. I mean, I realize it's probably an over-reaction, but my shop has to stay perfectly clean because it's where I have to make a living and it's about the only private space I have where 90% of my life takes place, so I get really touchy when people mess with it even in the slightest. I'm just wondering if other artists and designers are the same way, or if I'm just being a total golem about it.
Yes, because it takes weeks for me to find anything. So my desktop is not to be touched.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I don't have a workspace, I just fit in when and where I can. My main concern is remembering not to leave my Wacom pen behind afterwards, to avoid the inevitable:

"Pen? Oh yeah, I threw it out - no ink left in it."

D:

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I also hate people touching my workspace, but I don't have a good reason for it. My desk is always a huge mess, and I'm sure could only benefit from someone else moving things around!

I've been so absent here lately! I'm working at a history magazine right now. It's a pretty mindless job, I'm just digitizing the magazine's archive, but it's cool getting to read through and handle the issues from the 20s and 30s in particular. (It gets really boring in the 40s for whatever reason.)

Things are going well with the new bf. Although dating someone who I have proper feelings for is bringing out whole new neuroses that I didn't even know I had! So that's a lot of fun for everyone. But aside from having to curb my anxieties sometimes everything has been really lovely. He's a big goofball and ate a lime the other day to impress me.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good to hear about the job and the BF Hippie :)
There's always a place for you doing news blogs if you feel like it again ^_^

I can't stand anyone messing up my work space either. At the office or at home.
Sometimes they have to have another designer do work when I'm not there and these IDIOTS always use the wrong naming convention on the files and save them flattened…
Imbeciles.

How hard can it be to name a file in the right way when all the other files, thousands and thousands of them, are all names the same way?
(That's not an OCD thing, they have to be named in the right way so they can be found later amongst those thousands of files)

And WHY flatten working art onto one layer for god's sake? All the other art reference sheet PDFs have at least 2 layers, surely that would be a clue to how things are done…?

But that's par for the course, most graphic designers are rank neophytes.
Even me in many areas! I'm an expert at what I do in some narrow fields, but Graphic design is a massive area and I barely scratch he surface.
But at least I DO scratch it. Most people can't even WIPE it.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

HippieVan wrote:

Things are going well with the new bf. Although dating someone who I have proper feelings for is bringing out whole new neuroses that I didn't even know I had! So that's a lot of fun for everyone. But aside from having to curb my anxieties sometimes everything has been really lovely. He's a big goofball and ate a lime the other day to impress me.

He sounds like a great guy! I'm biased of course - us Brits practically live on limes.

Posted at

Hey guys, I'm brand new, any recommendations and/or tips would be much appreciated! I've only got the first page of my comic up at the moment, but I'll be uploading more throughout the week. :^)

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
He sounds like a great guy! I'm biased of course - us Brits practically live on limes.

Ukrainians too, apparently! International Lime Showdown?

radi0_cl0wn wrote:
Hey guys, I'm brand new, any recommendations and/or tips would be much appreciated! I've only got the first page of my comic up at the moment, but I'll be uploading more throughout the week. :^)

Welcome! Are you looking for tips on anything in particular?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I think I need a new computer. It doesn't charge when connected to power anymore. Hopefully it can survive the Awards.

I'm also 2 to 3 weeks out from having my little one. Too many things at once. Can't wait to have the hard cider and rum my husband has been saving for me. (Not at the same time)

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Niccea wrote:

I'm also 2 to 3 weeks out from having my little one.

Congratulations!!! Take notes so you can remember everything about having your little duckling. (The new comic could be called Hatched) :)

—-

As to work spaces, at home no one messes with it but the cat. It can get piled really high and no one wants to tumble that mountain, except the cat.

When I was at the office, early on, I'd occasionally return from a break and find someone in my cube/at my pc. I wouldn't say anything (one time it took several minutes before that person even knew I was there). Then there'd be a rush of explanation about why they were there. I still wasn't saying anything, although I'd maintain steady eye contact. Then a flurry of 'I'll get out of your way now,' at which point I'd ask them 'Do you need help with that?'

Every one who did it, did it only once, except for one. The second time she got treated to "the tone." I speak very quietly, slowly, precisely (because I'm so pissed off that I feel it's the only way to avoid a full-on verbal rage torrent). I've been told by a couple of people that it's terrifying. I don't mean it to be.

But it was the last time someone used my work space at the office that I was aware of. Who knows? Maybe they'd party up the cube on my days off, and then carefully put all back as it had been. But I don't think so.

lba
lba
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
I don't have a workspace, I just fit in when and where I can. My main concern is remembering not to leave my Wacom pen behind afterwards, to avoid the inevitable:

"Pen? Oh yeah, I threw it out - no ink left in it."

D:

Uuugghh… yeah. I got back to work last week to realize that I screwed up and left my entire pencil case somewhere in Utah, halfway across the country. With both my main pen, AND the bloody damned back-up pen in it. And the worst part is that I still use an intuos 3, so I can either try to ebay bid for an entire new "used" tablet for $70, buy a new replacement pen for $70, or suffer until I scrape together the $600 for the current generation of tablet to replace the whole thing.

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets touchy about their work space though. Even the slightest mess in it means hundreds of dollars lost for me, so I'm on a permanent edge of "am I being too spastic about this?"

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Niccea wrote:
I think I need a new computer. It doesn't charge when connected to power anymore. Hopefully it can survive the Awards.

I'm also 2 to 3 weeks out from having my little one. Too many things at once. Can't wait to have the hard cider and rum my husband has been saving for me. (Not at the same time)
Congrats on the bubba! :D

With the computer, get another battery from ebay? It'[s a cheaper way to go. Or even just take it out? I think it'll probably run fine without it.

————————

No one in the office tomorrow except me and the accounts person. And our offices miles apart so I've got the space allll to myself. I'm going to crank up the heater…
That's the only thing. I pretty much do what I want regardless anyway, except the heater.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Niccea wrote:

Congrats on the bubba! :D

With the computer, get another battery from ebay? It'[s a cheaper way to go. Or even just take it out? I think it'll probably run fine without it.
I've been using my laptop without the battery for a couple of years now. Just have to always plug it in.

Nature has been paying lots of visits to my work place lately with raccoons who are so into their meal they ignore security guards and rabbits running all over. The raccoon was funniest because I watched him open up the lidded garbage can, pick out dish and eat the chicken wings. Nothing could tear him away from those wings. He even posed for a picture.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

The problem is the where the cable plugs in. It is loose from wear. So new stuff won't help. Easier to get a new computer than to repair this one.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I helped a friend movie two very old book presses yesterday. These things are made of solid iron and they were stupidkerphuken HEAVY!!!! OMG!
You don't realise how heavy iron really is till it's all there in one solid lump together. My back is sore :(

They weren't even that large looking, they were just HEAVY T_T

It was like a magic spell of gravity attraction had been cast on these small things… Like they were made out of lead, Osmium, iridium, Uranium, and plutonium in one weird alloy.

Perhaps the heaviest was over 100kg or over 220lb for you guys in old fashioned land!

I'm not a big guy, I weigh maybe all of 55kg. Milan, my friend is bigger at about 75kg maybe… Together we struggled.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.