Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I used to wonder what the old Top Drawer was like, because it was shut down about a week before I joined the site and people talked about it for months afterwards. On reflection I probably dodged a bullet there. Any interaction here back then could go the way Bravo describes without warning!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
I used to wonder what the old Top Drawer was like, because it was shut down about a week before I joined the site and people talked about it for months afterwards. On reflection I probably dodged a bullet there. Any interaction here back then could go the way Bravo describes without warning!
Hhaha! You were still a member of he Top Drawer craziness. It continued after you joined in various was and you joined in with the Day Of The Alts in particular with your Ironscarf's Ghost terry Thomas persona LOL
Jeez, even I was a part of that particular shenanigan.

The Top Drawer started pretty much as what it is now- just a junk drawer for stuff that didn't belong anywhere else. Threads that didn't fit.

After a while people noticed the lack of regulation there and began to play around with the forum format. We had games and it was the super early days of memes… some of the lamest and meanest stuff was just imported straight from 4chan, which I never liked.
We had pranks going and all sorts of silly games and rivalries.

But it was also a bit of a crucible for meanness. Antisocial members gathered there too. And there formed a bit of a high School clique hierarchy with the mean people at the top.
The meaness and silly prankish behaviour started to regularly break out of the Top Drawer and affect people in he rest of the forums and even people's comics and that was the beginning of the end.

We tried to control it, we warned people and reasoned with them, but that never worked for long and in the end Volte6, the site creator and chief admin just had enough and got rid of it.
We tried revving it with something more regulated. That lasted a while but things eventually went the same way again.

It's impossible to control chaos hahaha! And setting limits of it only works if the people abide by them.

-before being an admin I was just a part of the chaos myself XD

Posted at

Huh… I should be careful what I've wished for, then. It goes haywire if somewhere's popular enough. Most of the time, it would've been just as fun to watch so you could {choose} not to be part of the action.

All in all - I just want to explore the 'lore' of the site and forums - like archives, because I remember searching up the "DrunkDuck vs. Comic Genesis" or was it the "DrunkDuck vs… (I'm writing it this time) ComicFury" threads, you know, like there was a competition between the site{s}. Wasn't interested in reading those threads at first because of the large amount of text and pages, but as soon as I was interested, the latter got deleted {on that site}.

There's also the old site layout this place used to have. Despite me being a young adult now, I already feel nostalgic for what the site was like back then. At least it was nice to know how lively it was back then.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

ThrisbyDude wrote:
There's also the old site layout this place used to have. Despite me being a young adult now, I already feel nostalgic for what the site was like back then. At least it was nice to know how lively it was back then.
The layout was the old style default BB code forum. Very spreadsheet looking. White backgrounds, blue lines, black text, blue and grey links.

Comic Fury didn't exist at all till years later.
It was us VS Keenspace, which is what Comic Genesis was first called. I don't think it had been renamed into Comic Genesis yet or if it had that was very new XD

The big interesting scoop is that the fellow who created Comic Fury started out as a comicer here and he was one of the problematic people in the Top Drawer, named PoisonV I think.
He wasn't popular or one of the main figures, he was just a mean hanger-on. He eventually became an issue that he had to be warned a few times and might have got a few temporary bans and maybe a permanent one?
That made him bitter and resentful unfortunately.

Eventually he returned and cleverly used an exploit in our PQ system to get admin credentials and start wreaking havoc on the site.
Basically he just made himself an admin and started deleting people accounts for fun and doing whatever damage he felt like.

Lucky me and a couple of other mods were online at the time and were able to get Volte6, chief admin, to put a stop to it. He restored what he could and patched the site.

And THAT is when I got made an admin- directly because of the event. Volte6 realised he needed someone who was active and had power in the wee-small hours when all the North Americans were asleep. SO I joined the Admin ranks.

And PoisonV eventually went on to create his own site. He matured a LOT. He graduated university, got a good job and made Comic Fury. We've since reconciled many times over what happened in the past.

Posted at

Learning what I have about the one behind ComicFury since I got booted from there back in the summer, I am more and more convinced that my banishment from there was actually a blessing in disguise. Even in spite of working around the limitations of DD, I have to say that I've grown to be very happy here; VAMPIRE GIRL has been doing about as well here as it was on CF - it got featured when Season/Chapter 2 debuted back in October . . . I honestly can't see it having gotten such promotion as this on CF.

Like I said, in hindsight, I realized part of my problem on CF was that I got too comfortable with their community too quickly when they still barely knew me - it had been a while since I was reguarly an active part of a forum, and I basically just jumped in like I was one of the gang when I wasn't: they weren't used to my occasionally crass and immature sense of humor, and as such, I ruffled feathers and made people uncomfortable. Lesson learned the hard way, but as they always say, when one door closes, another door opens . . . ComicFury may have closed its door in my face, but The Duck opened its door and welcomed me here. Even if the community is a lot smaller and not as active, I'm still really happy to be part of The Duck.

Posted at

Since I can't sleep right now and I got work in a few hours, I'd thought I'd respond to this.

My response:
Ozoneocean wrote:
The layout was the old style default BB code forum. Very spreadsheet looking. White backgrounds, blue lines, black text, blue and grey links.
I meant this one from late 2006 to early 2008; should've clarified that earlier. There were blue, orange, green and gray all over the website in comic form, the white background was a good complement. All the other eras before this one look good too, with the ads and BuzzComix.
The big interesting scoop is that the fellow who created Comic Fury started out as a comicer here and he was one of the problematic people in the Top Drawer, named PoisonV I think.
He wasn't popular or one of the main figures, he was just a mean hanger-on. He eventually became an issue that he had to be warned a few times and might have got a few temporary bans and maybe a permanent one?
That made him bitter and resentful unfortunately.

Eventually he returned and cleverly used an exploit in our PQ system to get admin credentials and start wreaking havoc on the site.
Basically he just made himself an admin and started deleting people accounts for fun and doing whatever damage he felt like.

Lucky me and a couple of other mods were online at the time and were able to get Volte6, chief admin, to put a stop to it. He restored what he could and patched the site.

And THAT is when I got made an admin- directly because of the event. Volte6 realised he needed someone who was active and had power in the wee-small hours when all the North Americans were asleep. SO I joined the Admin ranks.

And PoisonV eventually went on to create his own site. He matured a LOT. He graduated university, got a good job and made Comic Fury. We've since reconciled many times over what happened in the past.

Yep. I've read this event happening from both (1) sides (2). I had no idea that Kyo was known as "PoisonV" back then - my goodness!

Glad that you've made amends with each other, and I'm glad that you became admin here.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Early 2008. That's where I came in. My joining day really was January 1, 2008. It was a New Year's resolution. My webcomics had already existed for a couple of years by then having been posted on action figure sites. Hopefully nothing from my first comic was archived.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Ozoneocean wrote:

Hhaha! You were still a member of he Top Drawer craziness. It continued after you joined in various was and you joined in with the Day Of The Alts in particular with your Ironscarf's Ghost terry Thomas persona LOL
Jeez, even I was a part of that particular shenanigan.

Thanks for reminding me of some of the fun to be had back then. It definitely wasn't all bad times, on which note…

I feel a little sorry for Kyo when this comes up, but it's part of both site's history and hopefully we can all laugh about it now. It lead directly to the creation of another site where people can post their comics and share their stories and its still going strong, so I'd say he paid his dues some years ago!

elektro
elektro
Posted at

I knew about the script kiddie stuff Kyo did on here back then, but I didn't know how far it went. I knew he was involved with SmackJeeves for a time before he made ComicFury though. I know he has definitely matured a lot since those early days.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

ThrisbyDude wrote:I meant this one from late 2006 to early 2008; should've clarified that earlier. There were blue, orange, green and gray all over the website in comic form, the white background was a good complement. All the other eras before this one look good too, with the ads and BuzzComix.
I love the compactness and the simplicity of that version.
A lot of us really hated the grey backgrounds. I think each post alternated between light grey and slighter darker grey.

Hahah, I remember some of those posts! And it's good to see those old names again :D
Real blast from the past.
Shame the actual posts aren't available.

I think the real difference between the DD community and CF (apart from them being busier), is that they're more sensitive generally.
I'd guess that's because they're mainly a younger generation, while a lot of DDer's are Gen X and older millennials.

We grew up in a far less partisan world, which is very important- so we're less likely to think of a person with different political views as being a bag guy, and also less likely to automatically assign people to a "political" (I mean that broadly) group based on certain views, preferences, humour, something they said or phrasing.

I think that's a important generation difference. You get older people doing it too of course but it's more significant with the people who grew up with it.

I don't know if anyone agrees with that?

That said we haven't had to deal with anyone with extreme, nasty or crazy views in a while so it's easy for us to be tolerant and easy going, but we also don't create issues where there aren't.

Posted at

My response (again):
I meant this one from late 2006 to early 2008; should've clarified that earlier. There were blue, orange, green and gray all over the website in comic form, the white background was a good complement. All the other eras before this one look good too, with the ads and BuzzComix.
Ozoneocean wrote:
I love the compactness and the simplicity of that version.
A lot of us really hated the grey backgrounds. I think each post alternated between light grey and slighter darker grey.

Hahah, I remember some of those posts! And it's good to see those old names again :D
Real blast from the past.
Shame the actual posts aren't available.

If anything, I would love to see a modern version of how the website looked back then… all the colors in place, comic aesthetic fitting in, the grays adjusted so they can at least have right shades of white…

It's all simply wishful thinking/a daydream. How the site redesign look is perfect where it's at for now.

Sad to know the threads back then have been erased. I know what had likely happened (I've read about it), so I'm not going to go further into that {subject}.

____

Switch out the politics, plus presidents and you'll get this at what's going on at ComicFury.

Ozoneocean wrote:
I think the real difference between the DD community and CF (apart from them being busier), is that they're more sensitive generally.
I'd guess that's because they're mainly a younger generation, while a lot of DDer's are Gen X and older millennials.

We grew up in a far less partisan world, which is very important- so we're less likely to think of a person with different political views as being a bag guy, and also less likely to automatically assign people to a "political" (I mean that broadly) group based on certain views, preferences, humour, something they said or phrasing.

I think that's a important generation difference. You get older people doing it too of course but it's more significant with the people who grew up with it.

I don't know if anyone agrees with that?
The Duck/DrunkDuck is more mature leaning, so I slightly agree with this.

I'm not into politics myself, but I can understand this allegory.

A random (female) teenager for example, says she likes the Nintendo Switch as her console. Everyone in her group agrees.
One teenage (male) outcast said he likes the Steam Deck more. "Eh, Nintendo's not my thing anymore. The Switch is alright but could use better games; they're crap."

The group then verbally attacks the outcast for having a different opinion.

"What the heck?! You don't like the new Zelda game, let alone a new Mario Kart?! How frickin’ dare you!"

That kind of immaturity… A better common example would have been superheroes or superhero brands but I'm not really fond of those with a very few exceptions.

An older group of people here would've respected the outcast’s opinion, with either a little chat with positive or negative chat about the Steam Deck or no fighting at all.

Ozoneocean wrote:
That said we haven't had to deal with anyone with extreme, nasty or crazy views in a while so it's easy for us to be tolerant and easy going, but we also don't create issues where there aren't.

Yep; no nasty views here!
Honestly, I enjoy it like this. Like Scarbrough and users have said, this site is a real fresh breath of air. Semi-quiet environment, little to no fighting, more open on subjects, all of that.

I just don’t hope the site redesign will make anything turn into something like you said here.
Ozoneocean wrote:
I've had some indication from some people that they'd like to see that CF type control here…
Personally I find that idea rather chilling.

Worse case scenario, if that happened, I would’ve host-hopped on the dot after seeing the “CF 2.0” community bring their rude culture to this site. It'd be nothing personal against you, the staff, and most users here, but I'd not be fond of that happening.

THOUGH I’m sure that won’t happen, this is an older demographic site as you’ve said. More mature opinions and whatnot.

Posted at

I don't really know if I can say with absolute certainty that it really is a generational thing or not, I'm not too sure, mainly because my social circles are very much multi-generational: I have some friends who are old enough to be my parents or even grandparents, but I also have some friends who are young enough to see me as something of a big brother . . . the only thing I can say for certain is that, looking back on it, I don't feel as though I really did fit in with the CF community that well - I mean yeah, before they got weirded out by some of the memes I shared and comments I made to report me to their forum staff and influence Kyo's decision to ban me, they did occasionally try to rope me into some of their more interactive threads, which I did, but even so, I couldn't really tell you for certain anyone from there who I really got to know within their community who I could even remeber looking back on it, other than but an odd number of other artists/authors whose comics I still follow (as a guest) who I'm on good terms with and even agree that my banishment was unnecessarily harsh.

Only one comic creator on CF has actually gone so far as to completely block me from reading/commenting on their comic (even as a guest, which I didn't know was even possible), and I wonder just what the hell I even did to them to warrant such, as I was very much a fan of his comic, followed it regularly, and always left amusing comments each new update.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@ThrisbyDude and @J_Scarbrough ah I see, so they're just mainly high strung and cliquey? Hahaha!
Oh dear.

We're a lot more phlegmatic, sanguine, sedentary, and laconic… i.e. we can't be bothered haha!

I think we're more likely to be roused if we imagine something has offended the community or something we like, but even then it's only temporary and we sink back down into neutrality

"What? Someone somewhere said 5 years ago that Drunk Duck is old and the community is stodgy? WELL they're just a big poo-head with no taste and feet that smell like cheese!!!! Now what was I saying about cutting my toenails on Friday…?"

Posted at

↑ ((toothy grin, then 5 seconds later, resorts to laughter. XD))

Posted at

I have been waiting, with great anticipation, for someone on these forums to come forth and reveal themselves as Kyo in the most Scooby Doo-esque way imaginable. It would be hilarious.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I got an eye test on Friday and soon I'll be getting new glasses.
Hooray, I've upgraded my vision issues to not being able to focus on small stuff close up in addition to my fuzzy long distance vision. LOL!
47 year old eyeballs…

I can't complain though, they gave me a pretty good run and I can still get by without glasses for most things. I'm doing pretty good.

My new frames a nice and thin, rounded, old fashioned wire frames. I can't wait to get them!
The black plastic rectangular frames that I got for my first pairs are ok, but that modern look isn't me. Plus they're multifocals so maybe I can wear them more of the time?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Sorry for this becoming the Ozoneocean rant thread but I just had to comment on this:

News journalism is SO bad these days in the way stories are written. I find is incredibly frustrating! The headline tells you more info than most of the story usually, when it's not just an exaggeration.

Usually the opening paragraph gives you the thinnest skeleton of what happened, usually just a repeat of what is in the headline, sometimes even just word for word.
Then there are 15 paragraphs about the back stories of the people involved in the stories and people's reaction to what happened to the victims.
Occasionally through the text there will be a word for word repeating of what as in the headline again, maybe they will do that 5 or 6 times, with no new info.

When you get 3/4 through the entire story they MIGHT have a bit more into on the actual story that the headline refers to.

Then we will be back to reaction quotes and even a maybe a whole bunch of twitter reactions just re-posted in their original format. Sometimes those will be from officials who are at least sort of connected to the story, but just as often they're from moron celebs or just the general public.

A monkey could do journalism nowadays… my guess is that it's all done by interns and temps.

elektro
elektro
Posted at

Journalism is bad in one more way that really gets under my skin: nobody (even "professional" organizations) bothers to proofread their shit. This is why "copy editor" is such an important position at a newspaper: you don't want to look like a dumb fuck when your story goes to print.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

I think they replaced journalists with robots already

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

lothar wrote:
I think they replaced journalists with robots already
That's what a wire story is these days. Comes off the news service feed put it right into print and teleprompter and out it goes.

And copy editor? Spellchecker and that's it. The only corrections are about race and gender identification. Spelling and grammar? Ha-ha. That's white privilege colonialism.

(Lots of hyperbole but H.L. Mencken would understand)

Posted at

How is it even possible that the 2018 remake of the Grinch is the highest-grossing Christmas movie of all time when everybody hated that movie? They all said Benny Who Cumberland turned the Grinch into a sassy gay furry.

Unka John
Unka John
Posted at

The Chuck Jones Grinch Movie is the only true Grinch movie.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.