Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

How can you write your synopsis without spoiling the plot?

Posted at

I'm sure all of us have had stories in our heads we want to tell to our audience. You're excited to tell your summary but you don't know how and/or don't want to give away details too much.

The question is, without giving away too much or being vague, how can you write your projects' synopsises?

POST-SCRIPT: My intro thread will be created soon; don't worry. ;)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

In simplest terms you describe what sets up the primary conflict and some of the results of that initial conflict. Nothing is revealed about the resolution of the conflict.
Be as brief as possible. Give little to no detail, merely the main actor and the main action. You are merely providing an overview, a hook and lure to get potential readers interested not a whole meal. That's one reason a synopsis can be called a hook.

Now a complete synopsis for critical examination will often include spoilers because it details the plot. It will include the resolution of the cause and effect. It's not just the set up like the hook synopsis.

Many synopses are too long. Unless you are writing criticism you don't need all the details. That's the job of the story. You are only providing a taste, a hook and lure to reel in the reader not the whole plot or even any comprehensive description of the background. The background is for the story not the synopsis.

I practice writing them while scripting and often a good technique is to write the synopsis before you've written the ending. That way you can't spoil anything because it hasn't been written yet. As the creator you only know what leads up to it, not how it's resolved.

You can look at my comic descriptions for examples and decide for yourself if I know what I'm talking about or not.

dpat57
dpat57
Posted at

Write about the potential that lies ahead. An elf and a dwarf meet, overcome their natural mistrust and embark on an adventure quest to find a legendary golden dragon egg. Never mind that the elf dies in chapter 7, shhh.

Posted at

@bravo1102 - I get the picture from your example. Briefly tell the audience who caused the conflict {towards the main character}, what the conflict is - and to hook readers in, write the possibilities that lie ahead (like @dpat57 said). Got it.

Great answers from you guys. ((thumbs up))

Posted at

I can definitely see how this could be a problem, especially if you want to hint at what might be coming that makes your story stand out.

I've always had issues with writing an "elevator pitch". I'm too wordy for my own good and I always over-explain everything. When I try to shorten it down to just a sentence or two, it always comes across as unintentionally goofy to me. My synopsis always hurt because of it because it's either too long or sounds bad.

I think looking into properly writing an elevator pitch would actually solve both our problems and luckily there are a lot of resources on exactly that online. I don't have any specific ones to point to at the moment, but that could be an avenue to search to help you out.

It's on my mind because I still kinda hate my synopsis for my comics and I was thinking of rewriting them sometime soon. If I come across any site that seems especially helpful, I'll share them here too! But at least it (and the other responses here) are a place to start.

Posted at

↑ Elevator pitches? Yeah, I think that also might be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
In addition,

dragonsong12 wrote:
It's on my mind because I still kinda hate my synopsis for my comics and I was thinking of rewriting them sometime soon. If I come across any site that seems especially helpful, I'll share them here too! But at least it (and the other responses here) are a place to start.

Ah, yes! Please do share examples of elevator pitches, if you have any. Examples of elevator pitches could do us users all good on how to pitch our stories.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I've discussed elevator pitches any number of times. In publishing they're sometimes called jacket blurbs. A simple synopsis that leaves the reader wanting more because it usually ends with a cliffhanger.

A deep space survey ship discovers a derelict ship with a mysterious alien aboard. The crew begins to be attacked by crazed blood thirsty monsters. Soon only a handful are left including the heroic female captain. Gratuitous science fiction horror like Space Vampire, Italian 1960s Space Operas and the B-movie rip-offs of Alien.

Quick run down of situation, story, what it's similar to and even a brief mention of the main character. One paragraph and four sentences.

It's the Drunkduck award winning comic Interstellar Blood Beasts

It's bare bones to draw the prospective reader in and just give an idea of what to expect. Make them want to see it.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.