Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Interesting question here

memo333
memo333
Posted at

If your future self comes to the present and tells you that your comic will be a flop, that it will suck, no one would care…

WOULD YOU STILL DO IT?

dpat57
dpat57
Posted at

memo333 wrote:
If your future self comes to the present and tells you that your comic will be a flop, that it will suck, no one would care…

WOULD YOU STILL DO IT?
Yeah I would, I'm entertaining myself, aren't I? If that's all future me reveals about the future (what, no lottery numbers? no sports almanac?) then screw that loser, he can bugger off back to his stupid future.

Posted at

Yup! Totally! As far as I'm concerned it is the will of the universe that I create what I create and have a fun time doin' so! My reaction to future me wouldn't be about the comics at all, it would be like "holy shit am I still alive that far in!?"😆😆😆

Posted at

Only if it's something that I felt like I really, really wanted to do just for myself; otherwise, nah, probably not. Why bother?

lothar
lothar
Posted at

Drawing is just something I do while I listen to podcasts

memo333
memo333
Posted at

lothar wrote:
Drawing is just something I do while I listen to podcasts

nice, what podcasts?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Of course I'd still do it, infact I never expected anyone to ever read my stuff anyway.

I think this is one of the big differences between modern webcomicers starting today and us oldt-imers who started 20 years ago or more- back then some comics were huge hits but there were only a few and that wasn't seen as typical or even possible for most of us so we just created for the love of it. And that was why DD was founded.

Very different time!

Why do people make webcomics these days?
I remember when I was still on Facebook and on a couple of webcomics groups there were all these people talking about making a comic and getting the most fans possible, planning for success and money right away. Doing masses of preparation for months or years.

Very alien to me and my webcomic generation. Most of us just want to create and get something out there.
It'd be helpful to know the differences in expectations now so we can make DD better for today's people.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

there are plenty of webcomic sites out there for those types. DD is good how it is.

ksteak
ksteak
Posted at

for it to be a flop to me, it would have to not be worth showing to anyone or rereading myself.
ive had a comic like that before, and im rather afraid to end up repeating the situation.
its a hobby. but there are other creative endeavors i could be spending time on. and comics do take up a lot of that time and effort.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Unfazed. creating is the goal. I like when people enjoy what I do of course, and success of any kind would be fantastic but it's an elusive and fickle thing. It's not worth chasing.

Posted at

Absolutely. Makes me want to make a flop comic even more.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I create because I need to create. It's only a flop if I give up. I persist and achieve my goals and especially finish a project that is success.

Face it, most stuff that is popular really is garbage. Same stuff, different day. I don't want to do that.

But I can say that I did something and saw it through.

Most people can't say that. They dream but don't persevere. They're not an overnight success putting out the same trash as everyone else so they give up. I didn't. I finished stuff. I made stuff. Improvised, overcame and adapted. So I tower over those who didn't and no one can ever take that away from me. Fuck it, drive on.

One secret of success is that to succeed you may have to fail many, many times.

TroyVS
TroyVS
Posted at

I would be like bro, wtf
And maybe kick him in the nuts

Fuck that guy

Posted at

Just because my visitor is me from the future it doesn't mean they're happier or more balanced, more successful than I am right now. In fact if I'd ever feel the need to go back in time and lecture myself that'd probably mean I'm miserable af, because I'd rather bully a younger self of mine into making different life decisions against their will than to accept my mistakes and learn from them. People make the best decisions they can given their circumstances. If I'd want my younger self to make better decisions, I'd better **** give them something more than just complaints on how they'll disappoint ffs.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.