Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Willicus
Willicus
Posted at

8 years of school band makes me pretty good at playing the tuba (I am not kidding)

I also play a didjeridoo. I think I can also play a juice harp.
Last year I went and saw a charity show in our campus coffeehouse, and the headliner, Shane Philips, played a didjeridoo, a guitar, the bongos and a harmonica. And he sang. I bought his CD and his songs are amazing.

warefish
warefish
Posted at

8 years of school band makes me pretty good at playing the tuba (I am not kidding)

I also play a didjeridoo. I think I can also play a juice harp.
Are you Aussie? *crosses fingers*

Posted at

I learnt to play the didge when I was about 12 by practicing on vacuum cleaner pipes (plastic ones).

Then my Mum bought me a real didge. Growing up in the bush allowed me to go out into it at night and play for hours under the stars. The sound goes right deep down into your bones. I call it the heartbeat of the country.

It is a great instrument because you don't need to know anything about notes, chords, etc : )

But not so great while you wait hours for your lips to stop swelling from the constant vibration!

Still got one of my didges, but haven't played it for ages. I live in suburbia at the moment and as others have said, it's pretty loud.

And yeah, I'm Aussie. (Not a Coorie though)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Not a Coorie though
Heh, You could still be Noongar, Bardi (WA tribes) or a hundred others :P
Remember, Coorie are are only mainly south east… NSW ;)

But not so great while you wait hours for your lips to stop swelling from the constant vibration!
Hehehe, this is worth it just to see :)

I have an old bugle… but the only sound that comes out is disturbingly akin to a flatulent elephant :(

warefish
warefish
Posted at

I learnt to play the didge when I was about 12 by practicing on vacuum cleaner pipes (plastic ones).

Then my Mum bought me a real didge. Growing up in the bush allowed me to go out into it at night and play for hours under the stars. The sound goes right deep down into your bones. I call it the heartbeat of the country.

It is a great instrument because you don't need to know anything about notes, chords, etc : )

Still got one of my didges, but haven't played it for ages. I live in suburbia at the moment and as others have said, it's pretty loud.

And yeah, I'm Aussie. (Not a Coorie though)
Far out, man! That's awesome!!

MintyMints
MintyMints
Posted at

Wow. So many here play interesting instruments… o__o

Aside from piano, I play the acoustic guitar and violin, both electrical and acoustic (For some reason, electric guitars don't agree with me). I play in the orchestra and a class band. Ever heard of Yellowcard? Yeah. I'm like, Sean Mackin, but that guy is way better.

One of these days, I'm going to conquer the viola. Fo' reals.

warefish
warefish
Posted at

I know it's shit quality, but here's my Keilwerth sax and handmade German guitar:

Posted at

here's my Keilwerth sax

Is that a tenor I see before me?

warefish
warefish
Posted at

Yup. It's got a really nice dark but warm tone as well. I love it.

Posted at

Superb!

I wanted to play sax at one time but where I lived, it was just too loud and as you know, it's mute proof! My band member a couple of streets away played tenor, alto and soprano and his neighbour was always threatening to call the cops.

Well one day he'd had enough and the cops were called. This police car showed up and two uniformed officers filed into my mate's front room. One says:

"Can you play that sir, so we can hear how loud it is?" so he starts blowing and the other copper promptly gets on the piano and starts playing along! After that he came back every week for a jam session.

I guess that's what you'd call the scales of justice in action!

warefish
warefish
Posted at

HA!
Lucky for me, no one complains where I am. my neighbours actually encourage me to play more. :P

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i said in a previously similar thread, that i play tenor saxaphone.

Vakanai
Vakanai
Posted at

I used to play the drums back in middle school, but I could never figure out how to read music. Sure, drums are only one note, but the sheets tell you when to hit and when to do, I forget what it's called, rolls I think. Anyways, long story short I eventually flunked out in the second year. Did pretty good by ear for a while there though.
If anyone had asked I could have told them I didn't know what I was doing and was faking it as best I could.
Good times.

Posted at

I can play the ukulele, and I'm hoping to learn the banjo. There are actually a lot of instruments I'd like to learn to play, but I have neither the time or the funding.

warefish
warefish
Posted at

i said in a previously similar thread, that i play tenor saxaphone.
Dude, you've earned yourself some cred in my books!

Posted at

Alto Sax over here as well, It's an awesome instrment :D

Insizwa
Insizwa
Posted at

I have this, I haven't played it in months since it's still at my house. I borrowed my dorm mate's acoustic though.

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

I have this, I haven't played it in months since it's still at my house. I borrowed my dorm mate's acoustic though.

Give me that. Nao.

warefish
warefish
Posted at

Alto Sax over here as well, It's an awesome instrment :D
'Tis an aweome instrument indeed… BUT TENOR IS BETTER!!!

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

I can Bearly play the flute and I'm learning how to play the guitar…and….dose Guitar Hero count?

NO. IT DOES NOT COUNT. FUCK YOU.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.