Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Dr W
Dr W
Posted at

I've been going over this in my head for a time now. I was trying to decide what time period one of my comic's should be in, and I decided on the 90s. Why? Because 1: I was born in the 90s and should know the most about that period of time.
and 2:It was just the right time for my theme of sub-cultures and music, because it was the time when most of the music genres, I have in mind to feature in my comic, were around. Mostly when one thinks about a story taking place in the past they usually think about the 80s, 70s, 60s, and medival times. The only stories that were based in the 90s were the stories that were made during that time. What do you all remember from the 90s?

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

I remember that it was actually worth it to wake up to watch Saturday morning cartoons. I remember Pokemon and Pogs. I remember a lot of bands in their starting years. I remember all the board games. I remember matchbox cars. I remember All That (The TV show)

I could go on, so in short, I'll just say that I miss the 90's, man.

Posted at

Yeah, I totally remember the 90's. I loved the 90's, to be quite honest. Methinks I'd totally read a comic set during that timeframe.

The last four years of the decade is a bit fuzzy for me though…that's around the time I developed a taste for partyin' and drinkin' too much. But yeah.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

So much bad music in the 90s… That's what I'll always remember.

Oh, there was good stuff too, it was about 55% extreme shite and 45% great and ok stuff. It was when there was a sewerage flood of cheap dance music into the mainstream, so much so that it almost completely replaced all pop music. And all the rest took on crappy drum machine beats by default. Real drums mostly became extinct about then.

Indie music (real indie) stepped up to the plate and gave us some respite, and good bands would make forays into the mainstream, more towards the end.

Plus, the 90's were a time of a lot of economic downturn, lots of people losing jobs and young people not being able to get work or ever expecting to get good work… Gen-Xers sorry debut into adulthood… It didn't have much to offer them then.

Insizwa
Insizwa
Posted at

I remember the comic book scene. Rob Liefeld actually made money and Todd McFarlane's Spawn was all the rage. As for music all I remember was Spice Girls, N sync, Backstreet Boys, and Aqua. I hate my sister. I wasn't big on music back then.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I was born in the 90s and should know the most about that period of time.
The decade in which you were born is not the decade you should know the most about in terms of pop culture. You will know most about the kids shows and toys of that decade (born in the 80's, I know all about Care Bears and My Little Ponies), but in terms of music/movies, you should know most about the following decade – the one that takes you into high school. So, if your comic is centered on little kids, you should have lots of knowledge about your birth decade.

While I was in high school in the 90's. I'm afraid I'm at a loss for 90's pop culture. All I watched back then was Nick-@-Nite, and all I listened to were oldies and instrumentals. I recall some good cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life and The Angry Beavers. (I was not among the "in" crowd.)

I remember my sister was really into MTV. She loved GreenDay. I remember we watched Daria and Beavis & Butthead. We also watched a lot of The Simpsons back then. (The Simpsons was the show parents didn't want their kids to watch. That was later replaced by Beavis and Butthead as the "forbidden show." After that, it was South Park.)

Insizwa
Insizwa
Posted at

(The Simpsons was the show parents didn't want their kids to watch. That was later replaced by Beavis and Butthead as the "forbidden show." After that, it was South Park.)

My parents were wicked cool, I was raised on the Simpsons.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

(The Simpsons was the show parents didn't want their kids to watch. That was later replaced by Beavis and Butthead as the "forbidden show." After that, it was South Park.)

My parents were wicked cool, I was raised on the Simpsons.
My dad watched The Simpsons with us, but usually when Mom wasn't around. They let my sister and me watch the Beavis and Butthead movie in the theater. (In the meantime, they went to see Mars Attacks. Poor them.)

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

pogs and yo-yos…..fuck.

elektro
elektro
Posted at

I remember having no cable and no internet. The only time I ever saw cable was when we went up to my aunt's in De Pere. It was through this that I was introduced to Nickelodeon and the mind-warping insanity of Ren & Stimpy.

I also remember not being into music as much because the only music I heard was on the radio, and it was just as bad back then as it is now.

Finally, I remember my life-goals were different in that I wanted to be a video-game designer instead of a cartoonist. That's what I remember the most. Oh, and Batman and The Tick. I could go on all day about the 90s.

humorman
humorman
Posted at

Invader Zim!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That started airing in 2001.
Don't feed it you crazy lady!

Yeah, the 90's had a lot of good animation. The 80's had crappy animation generally, right across the board…
But in the 90's the Simpsons were really good, stuff like Daria, king of the hill, Roko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers and many others.
Anime also had a massive surge of popularity and it was getting easier and and easier to see good stuff. Mainly on video though.

It was also great that crappy vinyl and tapes were dead so we no longer had to worry about stretched, broken, or dirty tape, or scratched or dusty records that you had to clean each bloody time you played many of them!
Now those things are back again for some unknown reason… but then we have MP3 with their terrible sound quality so that's probably why.

What about fashion in the 90s? Hmm… pretty non-de-script really. The early 90's still had mullets and shiny polyester and baggy trousers. Jeans got a hell of a lot more baggy and it was really had to get real bootlegs for a while, you were stuck with baggy jeans no matter what style you wanted.
For women early on there was the hippy chick thing. Later on all women were wearing tight jodhpurs, then those mutated into leggings… Leggings were a plague! They were everywhere, they took over! O_O

Then army pants came back which had two effects:
1. All clothing started to get camouflage all over it, starting with traditional jugle green, then going to stupid greys and then all sorts of dopey colours that basically spelled the end for that fad.
2. Army pants turned muted into the Cargo pants style, because of the pockets in the knees. Early on cut off army pants became a funky style of shorts, but pretty soon all shorts had extra pockets regardless. Pretty soon everything had extra pockets and that bled over into the 2000s.

The best thing about 90s fashion were the subdued colours with minimal or no patterns, that finally spelled the death knell for all the extra bright primary or pastel colours of the 80s, and all those extra shitty patters they mindlessly added to every single thing back then… Which has come right back now, but only for kids. -with their aesthetic senses removed most likely.

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

I liked the 90's. Nirvana (Kurt was my idol). The grunge scene worked perfectly for me through those awkward high school years. I was already wearing nothing but flannel shirts and ratty torn jeans. Until then, I just called it poverty.

Freegurt
Freegurt
Posted at

Stretchy pants over socks and sandals. I was such a wonderfully fashionable child.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Safe sex with the AIDS epidemic coming out into the open.
Wondering where'd all those gay people come from?
Desert Storm and everybody had to wear chocolate chip BDU pants even though most troops in Saudi didn't have them until they boarded the plane to come home.
Free food for soldiers in uniform.
Sex isn't sex and other Clinton spin.
The Term "spin" as a way of coloring the truth.
1994 and the Contract with America.
Matt Drudge
Barney and Power Rangers

Thinking Reagan wasn't that bad and would they stop beating up Clinton already?
When Nick at Nite meant the Andy Griffin show and Sergeant Bilko
Star Trek: the Next Generation, Babylon 5 and the Sci-Fi channel showed classic 1960's TV shows. (like Time Tunnel and Twilight Zone)
NO CELL PHONES OR TEXTING!
386 and 486 computers and the gigabyte was a dream.

Desert Storm to Y2K

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Ugh… I'd rather forget the '90s. 1992 my house was blown away by Supertyphoon Omar. Five years later, Supertyphoon Paka came by and caused even more damage. My house was hit by another Supertyphoon another five years later. The next one has yet to hit if at all; it's been seven years since the last one.

Thanks to the damage everyone has moved out of the house… I'm the only one left now. :(

Living alone can really be a drag sometimes…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

When Nick at Nite meant the Andy Griffin show and Sergeant Bilko
Star Trek: the Next Generation, Babylon 5 and the Sci-Fi channel showed classic 1960's TV shows. (like Time Tunnel and Twilight Zone)
Yeah, I remember that. Good stuff!

On ordinary TV, there was Seinfeld… then that finished and was replaced with the extremely bland and anodyne "Friends". -_-
I couldn't believe how long that inane shiz survived. And the idea that it was the new Seinfeld is like Rick Ashley being the new Elvis. I dunno, perhaps he is now -_-

Oh, there was Beverly Hills 90210 and then Melrose Place… And now we have reality TV. So TV has always been crap.
NO CELL PHONES OR TEXTING!
Well there were towards the end there. In the last few years of the 90's I certainly had a mobile phone. Nokia was the big thing then.

Oh and iMacs had just hit the scene (in the closing years) in all their multicoloured glory. And pretty soon every plastic bit of crap had transparent blue panels in it!

Posted at

transparent blue panels in it!
It's the way of the future.

-

When I think of 90's fashion, I tend to recall the first few episodes of Friends and the odd stuff they were wearing back then. I also remember the time, during my last years of elementary school, when the baggy jeans fashion hit us. All the rappers used to wear them so that they were practically hanging of your knees so naturally the "cool" kids started to wear them like that. Watching them come running to school as they were late for class was always good for a laugh.

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

Yeah, the 90's had a lot of good animation. The 80's had crappy animation generally, right across the board…
But in the 90's the Simpsons were really good, stuff like Daria, king of the hill, Roko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers and many others.
Anime also had a massive surge of popularity and it was getting easier and and easier to see good stuff. Mainly on video though.

Lotta great Disney movies released in the 90s. Also Pixar first came onto the scene. Good times ('cept that Meccano-baby headed-spider thing still creeps me out )

Then army pants came back which had two effects:
1. All clothing started to get camouflage all over it, starting with traditional jungle green, then going to stupid greys and then all sorts of dopey colours that basically spelled the end for that fad.

Ha, I had (and still have) blue camo bedspread. And I used to have blue camo pajamas.

2. Army pants turned muted into the Cargo pants style, because of the pockets in the knees. Early on cut off army pants became a funky style of shorts, but pretty soon all shorts had extra pockets regardless. Pretty soon everything had extra pockets and that bled over into the 2000s.

I miss cargo pants. I liked the extra pockets. Not like now with these tight jeans where you can't put anything in your pockets and sit comfortably!

Posted at

I miss cargo pants. I liked the extra pockets. Not like now with these tight jeans where you can't put anything in your pockets and sit comfortably!
Hell, I still wear cargoes all the time, but mostly for the utility of the added pockets. I carry aLOT of stuff at any given time. They're also baggy, but that's mostly for function too…that and tight pants are NOT flattering on me.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I had a chile bowl hair cut and read Animorphs and Baby Sitters club. And Pokemon came out near the end I think. It is blurry for me because I had the same friends from Elementary to Middle School. And the millennium changed half way through 6th grade.

And I think I wore a lot of Lion King and Pocahontas clothes.

But I guess I'm a child of both decades really. When I read lists about the nineties, I go "Oh yeah I remember that," but I can't remember anything outright on my own.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.