Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Dr W
Dr W
Posted at

That started airing in 2001.
Don't feed it you crazy lady!

Anime also had a massive surge of popularity and it was getting easier and and easier to see good stuff. Mainly on video though.

Would you say that the 90s were the golden age of anime for us in america?

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

I remember the kids stuff. and the kids shooting the kids. and wondering if y2k was real.

other than that, i don't remember much outside my area of comfort. honestly, i didn't pay attention to the national news, until late 2001.

stinger9
stinger9
Posted at

Most of the 90s for me was computers and games. I remember Windows 95, Sega Mega Drive (Or Genesis) and the original Playstation and that is about it.
Oh, and those hideous purple and green shellsuits that were all the rage here in the UK (From what I can find places outside the UK were spared the torment of those though :D)
Most of the music and television I remember from that period though was 80s and 70s stuff.
Looking back at what I remember my guess for why there are so few comics set in the 90s would be that people prefer to forget about that whole era.

EDIT: Huh, just did some research and found out Animaniacs was 90s. I always though that was 80s for some reason. Guess you can add that to the positive things about the 90s!

Insizwa
Insizwa
Posted at

Ya know, during the 90's I was in that 1% of the kid population that didn't like Pokemon. Looking back I feel wicked cool - Dragon Ball motherfuckers!

I know Dragon Ball was late 80's but it didn't air in Canada till later.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

Ya know, during the 90's I was in that 1% of the kid population that didn't like Pokemon. Looking back I feel wicked cool - Dragon Ball motherfuckers!

I know Dragon Ball was late 80's but it didn't air in Canada till later.

dragon ball didn't air in the US till mid to late 90's, and then into the 00's. i watched both.

lba
lba
Posted at

All my cousins were much older than me ( ie: 30+ with kids of their own now, while I'm 20, halfway through college. ). So I grew up with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, watching the high school kids ( They seemed huge to me at the time. ) going to school in old hoodies, jeans torn at the knees, black backpacks always carried on one shoulder. My dad showed me and my sister PeeWee's playhouse in it's later days along with Wild and Crazy Kids and the other Nickolodeon stuff. I still remember when Nickolodeon had that old Orange Splat as their logo all over tv, and how screaming into a microphone HAD to involve a mohawk and/or flannel to be cool. I remember playing Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 at my local church's youth room and how skateboarding was the coolest thing since Iggy Pop came out of Ann Arbor.

I basically grew up with a bunch of punks and cartoon nerds now i think of it.

Posted at

yup i remember the 90's in fact i'm technically a 90's person but since all my other siblings were at least 10 years older than me, i grew around those things nostalgic to them (nostalgic as of now, just old those times) i practically am an 80's guy heck i even feel nostalgic for some of the 70's culture, i feel lost in time.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I miss cargo pants. I liked the extra pockets. Not like now with these tight jeans where you can't put anything in your pockets and sit comfortably!
Hell, I still wear cargoes all the time, but mostly for the utility of the added pockets. I carry aLOT of stuff at any given time. They're also baggy, but that's mostly for function too…that and tight pants are NOT flattering on me.

I had "cargo" pants thrust upon me by a supply sergeant in Fort Knox Kentucky in 1988. Long before they were "cargo" pants they were battle dress uniform pants and parachute pants. Once in the army I found solid colored versions and wore them everywhere. It was twenty years before I started wearing jeans again.

My sister had a car phone and then a "shoe" phone in the 1980's. But in the 1990s people with beepers and then the first clunky cell phones actually were important enough to need them as opposed to every twit with an opposable thumb.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

But in the 1990s people with beepers and then the first clunky cell phones actually were important enough to need them as opposed to every twit with an opposable thumb.
The U.S. was a bit slower with mobile phones than Australia in many ways. I think the whole thing with all the hundreds of different phone companies being extremely feudal with the networks was the problem. There are instances where competition can actually hinder progress. -_-

We had less competition here and many types of good mobile phones, lots of choice and good prices. They were GSM too so they were compatible with most of the networks around the world, while U.S. phone were mostly CDMA I think and so that limited things. I remember a good friend of mine (American) being so excited that she could now SMS her friends on other networks and also change her network plan to other networks and sill keep the same number… Which bemused me since we'd never had an issue SMSing across different networks and changing phones and phone numbers across networks was something that happened very early on here.
Your U.S. Telecommunication companies were pretty bad that way- keeping stuff walled off and locked up.

Now if Australia just had the cheap internet that the U.S. has… :(
I still remember when Nickelodeon had that old Orange Splat as their logo all over tv
I remember that :(
and I loved the first couple of series of Pokemon. It was just a nice, simple anime cartoon that was unpretentious and very straight forward. -With sexy Nurse Joy and officer what's-her-face… ^_^

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

I got the perfect list for you from facebook.

Scroll down to recent news to see a full list.

Oh wow… so much nostalgia

Erad
Erad
Posted at

Maybe you've seen this on the internets…

This pic is often accompanied by the phrase, "This pic sums up the 90's pretty nicely."

I agree completely!

Also, I just want to mention that being born in the 90's just means that the first few years of your life, where you don't remember anything, are spent there. If anything, you should consider the time in which you reach adult hood to be "your time." For me, that's when everything changes, including my thought style and attitudes. All other ages were ephemeral, adulthood seems pretty stable and long lasting.

Posted at

I was Born in 1990 so my childhood was pretty much mid to late 90's. Having to older brothers really made me understand what all of you are talking about. I had so many damn hand me down pogs it was insane!!!

I also miss liquid television.

ERasER
ERasER
Posted at

I remember the 90's seeing as I lived through it for the first 10 years of my life ^^

Posted at

I remember the 90's seeing as I lived through it for the first 10 years of my life ^^

Get out the rusty knives cause were gonna be blood brothers!!!. :nervous:

ERasER
ERasER
Posted at

I already had mine out!

Posted at

I already had mine out!

8D BRING IT ON!!!!!

ERasER
ERasER
Posted at

OH YEAH!

ERasER
ERasER
Posted at

All I have is a rusty spoon…

…that's more 00s than 90s, right?
That'll do fine, we should combine ours together and create a rusty Spife

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Or a knoon?

They made better CD players back in the 90s -_-

ERasER
ERasER
Posted at

Or a knoon?
A rusty knoon ^^

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

Or a knoon?

They made better CD players back in the 90s -_-

they still make them?

I got my first CD player for christmas '01. It was my only gift that entire year. i still have it, and use it for surround sound to this day.

Posted at

I miss 90's Sci-Fi Action flicks. Demolition Man, The 5th Element, Time Cop, Total Recall? You just don't see movies like those anymore.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.