Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

BTW, why is the new system dependent on Flash? As I understand it (and I am not an expert) Apple is moving away from supporting it & the upcoming HTML5 won't support it either. Wouldn't it make more sense to create a system that allows as many people to use it as possible instead of relying on a program that may soon go the way of Beta videotapes?

HTML5 will support the use of flash. The rest is just Apple propaganda. (the idea is that HTML5 will allow allow you to duplicate some features of Flash, like video playing)
The reality is that Apple doesn't support flash only on iphones and ipads.- two devices made mainly for communication and entertainment consumption, not intensive creativity and production, which still has to be done on a full featured computer.
All Apple Laptops and PCs support Flash fine and will continue to do so. :)

ZeroGee
ZeroGee
Posted at

I had ie8 and the lastest java and all that loads is this…

I've since done a factory restore thinking it was my end. (It wasnt)
I still have the same problem.
Why did they have to take away the old upload system? That one at lest worked. This system is very user un-friendly

The only reason I can think of this happening is that you may not have Flash installed (or active) on your comp. I just tried it in IE8 on my comp and it worked fine.

Just to clarify, because I may have misspoke earlier, the new upload system requires Flash, not Java.

Sorry, I'm not a programmer, so sometimes I get my terms mixed up.
Nope. I have it. The upload button still doesnt show up.
I give up. This isnt worth the agrivation. No other site gives me any trouble uploading, so… I quit this site.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

This isnt worth the agrivation. No other site gives me any trouble uploading, so… I quit this site.
Bit defeatest. :(

Lothar has already posed a perfect workaround for you here:

http://www.drunkduck.com/account/

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Nope. I have it. The upload button still doesnt show up.
I give up. This isnt worth the agrivation. No other site gives me any trouble uploading, so… I quit this site.

Forgive me, but that seems rather silly. It works fine in Firefox and Oz has pointed out in bug screaming letters the workaround someone else posted. On a site like this, it takes time and effort and a lot of community involvement to get things going as planned. No point in getting mad at the programmers. Next time you get a chance right click in an empty spot and click view source. See all that? That's the code just for the PAGE you're on.

Then again, maybe I'm trying earn enough good karma to keep this from happening to me, since I'm a Comp. Sci major and all.
note: I really don't believe in Karma. Crap happens to good people and the best we can do is smile and try and make the world a better place.

Um, is anyone else having issues with flash content on this site?

elektro
elektro
Posted at

I've noticed that these problems happen at around the same time every week. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Posted at

On the plus side, the 'this just in' column is finally fixed. :] It had been counting queued pages!

Byth1
Byth1
Posted at

I saw the Update system, pretty cool.

Posted at

Thank you Lothar for that workaround I couldn't have updated with out you.

smbhax
smbhax
Posted at

Before that I also had a problem with them system chunking out anything after the first URL in a URL tag. Looked like this:
{url=http://somewhere.com
Everthing after that is gone. I could retype it using the edit button and everything would work fine. It's just rather annoying, especially when you have five links in the comments and have to hunt them down again.

Try it again and let me know if you're still having the same error. We were tinkering with the upload system right around the time you posted this.

I'm personally using Chrome and experiencing none of the issues you listed. What extensions do you have installed on Chrome?
I've reproduced a problem with URLs getting eaten, but I think it has to do with a special character in the URL, specifically "&" (at least).

For instance, if you're adding a new comic and put

{url=http://smbhax.com/cgi-bin/art.pl?e=0010&a=03_perverted_science]test link[/url]
in the "Notes" field, on the resulting page, you'll just see

[url=http://smbhax.com/cgi-bin/art.pl?e=0010
–the ampersand and everything after it has been dropped.

I'm running Windows XP, and have been able to duplicate that in the two browsers I tried it with:
- Firefox 3.6.6 (ImageShack Toolbar (disabled), Java, Quicktime, Flash)
- IE 8.0.6001.17802 (ImageShack Toolbar, Java, Flash)

~~~~~~~~

While testing the above in IE 8, I also encountered the issue of getting logged out immediately after uploading a page; instead of being taken to your comic series' list of pages, you're shown an error page that says something like "you have to be logged in to do that." It doesn't happen to me in Firefox, so I guess it's an IE thing.

(By the way I had to replace a couple left square brackets above with left curly brackets, because this forum doesn't handle quoted/coded square brackets correctly. Whee.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Who's quote is who's in all that? o_O

Skool and I have sent in our reports and recommendations… It's still being worked on, along with the image bug.

smbhax
smbhax
Posted at

Who's quote is who's in all that? o_O
Got it straightened out. This forum doesn't handle "[" in {quote} {code} tags very well, apparently.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yeah, the "code" thing is fooked :(

Thanks for the detailed report on that! :)

My biggest recommendation to Wowio is that we at least have a link right on the upload page to the old uploader system, or ideally just take the new one away until it's fixed.

srhdt
srhdt
Posted at

Yeah, the "code" thing is fooked :(

Thanks for the detailed report on that! :)

My biggest recommendation to Wowio is that we at least have a link right on the upload page to the old uploader system, or ideally just take the new one away until it's fixed.

Yeah, it was a good recommendation ozoneocean. We've now added a link to the old uploader if you're having problems using the new one.

We're continuing to work on issues associated with the new uploader. We apologize for the inconvenience, hopefully this way at least people having problems will be able to continue to upload until this feature update gets fully sorted out.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

I just wanted to take a second and thank all the coding guys working one this. I appreciate all that you guys have done and want to say that, even though I have never worked on a system this big, I know what you're going through. God, how I HATED debugging C++ templates, and the unix execl() and execv() functions. Never did get that stupid thing to work right.

Koshou
Koshou
Posted at

On the plus side, the 'this just in' column is finally fixed. :] It had been counting queued pages!

It's still not working for me. :l Am I just cursed or something?

Posted at

Well, since I posted that, it turns out now that pages uploaded with the new uploader won't show, but pages uploaded with the old one will. :]

Byth1
Byth1
Posted at

I'm having a problem with the comics pages thing where I can't change the graphic if current pages. Can someone help?

_T_
_T_
Posted at

Uploading comic pages isn't working at all for me. When I use the new uploader, it gives me a broken image. When I use the old uploader, it appears to load, then simply brings me back to the uploader page with no new comic page.

I'm using windows xp, internet explorer 8. I was uploading with no problems up until this week.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Uploading comic pages isn't working at all for me. When I use the new uploader, it gives me a broken image. When I use the old uploader, it appears to load, then simply brings me back to the uploader page with no new comic page.

I'm using windows xp, internet explorer 8. I was uploading with no problems up until this week.

That's not to do with the uploader- that's the image bug.

This is happening every single day now. :(
I'll report it now

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Soo tired… going to bed now…

Ok, more info on the image bug (not the uploader)-
Our programmer and developer have been working on this every day to try and find a solution that sticks, with next week as their deadline.

Brad
Brad
Posted at

I don't know who you guys have hired as a developer, but I think it's time you thought about hiring a professional. Your code is a friggin' mess. That being said, I've attempted to upload files a few times and the posts always go through. My Title, Date and Notes fields are stored just fine (woohoo!), but the file itself never uploads. Whenever I click to view images from my 'My Account' section, I get a 404 error. I've tried in Safari and Firefox and had the same results.

A major problem is your choice of uploading script. It may have seemed like a huge time saver to use 3rd party prewritten code like Uploadify to speed up the development of your new uploader, but ultimately your laziness has come back to bite you in the ass. The biggest problem with entrusting portions of your site to code that you yourself have not written is that when something goes wrong you have to waste huge amounts of time reverse engineering someone else's code.

From my testing however, Uploadify is working fine and doing everything that it's supposed to, which is a miracle considering how many overlapping javascript frameworks you guys have on this site. What you're missing is a callback error!

Once the user clicks the 'Upload Pages' button, your steps should be:
1. Javascript Checks Data is filled out
2. Post Data to PHP
3. PHP Checks to ensure file uploads.
4. Insert Data into Database
5. Alert Javascript of Success or Error
6. If Success Remove Element from Page
7. If all Elements have been removed, redirect.

Currently you're skipping steps 3 and 5. Here is your current step 6, where you will need to insert step 5:

onComplete: function(event, id) { jQuery('fieldset.' + id).remove(); },
Which basically says, once the data is posted to the PHP file, drop the feilds (title, notes, date) associated with that file. But, if your PHP file throws an error, you're ignoring it and just moving along to the next file! I'd say it's a 99% chance your error is in your PHP file or can be identified with you PHP file (like a server error). So tell your onComplete function to get the callback, and simply echo a response on your PHP script. Whatever is echoed on that page will be passed along to the onComplete function. If it's not "Success" (or whatever phrase you want to use) then alert the user of the error and keep the progress bar from disappearing by throwing a 'return false' in there.

onComplete: function(event, id, file, message){ if (messsage != "Success") { alert('File: ' + file.name + ' failed to upload. \nError: ' + message); return false; } else { jQuery('fieldset.' + id).remove(); } },

Now, this is only for error checking and alerting your users that errors occur before they waste their time. This won't solve your problem, but it will help you better identify where the problem lies.

However, I am not at all condoning that your process as correct. If you use a site like Flickr, they are using a similar Ajax+Flash solution for multi-file upload. The difference is, that they check to ensure the file is uploaded first before allowing you to add things like titles, dates, notes, or whatever to it. You're making your users do all of their work ahead of time before they even know if their files will upload, which is just adding more fuel to the fire and why you're seeing so much user frustration. If I write a 4 paragraph update on a page and then hit upload and it fails, I have to start all over again. Don't waste your users time or they will leave.

On the subject of javascript frameworks in general, you really should choose one and stick with it. If you're going to use prototype, use prototype. I you want to use jQuery, use jQuery. There's no reason to load two big frameworks that do many of the same things. And when you do use them, load them from Google's AJAX Library: http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/ … The chances of you users already having the file cached from another website are extremely high if everyone who uses these libraries links to a single source. This will speed up initial loading times and lower some of your bandwidth usage.

I could go on and on about how this site doesn't use valid html, over uses tables for non-tabular design elements, loads 12 .js files (most of which aren't used) for every single page loaded, loads 4 css files, adds ?cache= the current date and time to every one of these files to keep users browsers from caching these files (which means my browser loads these external flles as if they are new files for every single page I go to) etc..

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

I don;t know if this has been mentioned yet. But it appears that when you upload multiple pages, they appear backwards. Seems like whoever coded this is using a stack instead of a queue sorted by live date. In other words. Your putting the last page to go live as the first page of that series of pages, despite the later upload date.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.