Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

SITE ISSUES UPDATE - Data retained and restored, but no images. WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

Posted at

Any news on when things will be back to, or better than, normal? Cuz my poor comic ain't getting hits if it ain't accessible.

joeyjarin
joeyjarin
Posted at

I've tried updating my 'lost' pages but nothing happened. This is very frustrating.

What's the status? I've never seen any migration handled so poorly.

~JOe

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

@joeyjarin: This is not a migration…

- A catastrophic failure by the hosting company meant that the site and backups were lost.
- The site was rolled back to January 13th, the last offsite update available.

Though an ETA for fixes would be nice, I'd rather not rush Lawrence on the job. He's trying hard to get everything fixed a.s.a.p, in the meantime we should all probably chill a bit and take this time to work on some buffers for our comics or even take a break. When we get back, DD will be there, and hopefully feeling better. After all, re-uploading 2 months of images once the site stops hiccuping (even if you're doing a daily comic) is nothing compared to losing the whole shebang like we did in 2005. At least there was a backup, even if it's back in January! I'm not saying we should stop reporting problems that need attention, but we probably shouldn't rush for it to get done either.

joeyjarin
joeyjarin
Posted at

The hosting company should have off site backups. That's SOP. The duck should get a refund or something.

Anyways, yeah, I should just probably get back to drawing and make backups of my own.

~JOe

Posted at

I just wanted to say that I appreciate the work going into getting the site back up. I'm looking forward to being able to post here again.

Posted at

I can't do anything with Super Harem and I can't access my user profile.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Thanks Jake!

-Wenger, try going to your account overview, accessible from the link in the top right hand corner. Also here:

http://www.drunkduck.com/account/overview/

And you still can't do anything? If so that's bad… Lawrence is still working on it. Skool and I will be speaking to him via Skype soon.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

I don't know when this happened (I was away for the weekend), but the thumbnail for a "comic" that I last updated in December is gone. That one is called "Hey"

The newer, active comic's thumbnail is still around though, and that's the one that counts.

That this thumbnail is missing doesn't really concern me, but I don't understand how quirks like this are happening when originally it seemed that only material from 13 January to present should have been affected.

Posted at

I'm missing thumbnails too.

If I remember correctly, when we had the server migration on the 13th, some images/comics were affected and part of that was knocking out their thumbnails. I wish I could remember what the specific issue was… but I definitely remember having to remake some thumbnails and re-upload them at that time, and they seem to be the same ones missing now. So it's possible it's reverting back to what it had at that point, before people had re-uploaded their images.

Kagaenod
Kagaenod
Posted at

I am a little upset. I can't change my user profile image, even to reinstate it to it's original image. I can't edit my comic thumbnails, and I can't seem to edit my comic. I try editing the pictures but it keeps on bringing me to the home page. My comic and user profile was created after January 13th, so I'm pretty sure that is the problem, but still, I would very much appreciate if there is anything that can be done to fix this that it can be done. I've obviously tried to fix it myself but nothing seems to work. I've done everything sort of adding new images, which I am hesitant to do.

My comics are Supercosmic and David and the Dark

Sincerely,
Kagaenod

Posted at

I believe any comic that did not have a thumbnail uploaded automatically had a thumbnail created from a page in the comic. So all pages auto created by the old server are now dead.

I'm missing thumbnails too.

If I remember correctly, when we had the server migration on the 13th, some images/comics were affected and part of that was knocking out their thumbnails. I wish I could remember what the specific issue was… but I definitely remember having to remake some thumbnails and re-upload them at that time, and they seem to be the same ones missing now. So it's possible it's reverting back to what it had at that point, before people had re-uploaded their images.

Posted at

I am a little upset.

Hi Kagaenod. I know it's frustrating and I'm sorry you're having these troubles. If it helps, you're not alone.

The programmers are doing everything they can to fix this as fast as they can- they are just as unhappy about this as anyone here. I've asked them to update the techblog tonight so hopefully there will be more information from them within the next few hours.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

More images lost. mostly seems to be post 13th jan comics.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

As far as I can see it's a loading issue with alost ALL comic and formatting images.

All images are still on the server, it's just that they can't be found at the addresses that are rendered on comic template pages.
-So it's an addressing issue. Nothing lost. Lawrence and team have been informed. But it's late there at the moment so I don't know what's happening.

(Right click "View image" and then replace "comics" with "www" in the address bar to see the pic)

-User profiles are back however.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I figured that's what it was. All the images are there to be edited but don't pop up on the pages.

Murphy is hard at work and all that can go wrong is trying desperately to go wrong.

Get more duct tape.

itsjustaar
itsjustaar
Posted at

I figured that's what it was. All the images are there to be edited but don't pop up on the pages.

Murphy is hard at work and all that can go wrong is trying desperately to go wrong.

Get more duct tape.

Duct tape, super glue, hammers, nails, thumbtacks… <__>;

Both my comics (Keeping Up and ZombieToons) have their images gone again. xD *doesn't have the energy to re-upload everything once again; I'm totally too drained to go through it again* Caught me by surprise, too. :/

Keep up the good work in fixing the issue. :)

Allan
Allan
Posted at

I'm not going to say stuff that's already been said.

Having said that, thanks to the coders for their hard work. Looks like a picked a swell time to return to the Duck.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Looks like a picked a swell time to return to the Duck.
Ah well, hopefully it'll all be sorted soon. :(

The same fix still needs to be applied to HTML formatting images in the GFX folder -_-

Macattack
Macattack
Posted at

POSITIVE MESSAGE!! =D

Totally loving how the profile pages are back and from the looks of things the favourites bar is ALMOST back… at least it's coloured in again

Posted at

We just had a nice skype chat with Lawrence and that should be put out as a "special edition" podcast within the next 24 hours, all about the site issues and what's been going on at their end, and what to look forward to!

Posted at

We've got two new Quackcasts posted today!

Quackcast Episode 21: Interview with Lawrence Leach, CTO of WOWIO!
This is a special edition QuackCast recorded specifically to address the site issues which came up on DrunkDuck in the past week. Lawrence discusses the problems from a technical perspective and answers a lot of questions!

and our usual,

Episode 21 - I Say Old Chum, Jolly Good Advice About Speeding Up
skool and oz summarize the site problem from March 30th, and then go on to discuss various ways in which you might speed up the process of making your comics. Also we go kind of overboard on accents.

Posted at

Can someone who has a comic which was created afer January 13th please tell me:

1. Can you go in and make changes to your comic yet, like editing pages to add the new image, a thumbnail, etc.
2. Does the URL to visit your comic work yet
3. Does anything else that was 'broken' about that comic account work yet (excluding the missing images, which won't come back)

Unfortunatly since that's an issue to specific comics I can't check it myself. Please report back if this applies to you. :]

Posted at

Can someone who has a comic which was created afer January 13th please tell me:

1. Can you go in and make changes to your comic yet, like editing pages to add the new image, a thumbnail, etc.
2. Does the URL to visit your comic work yet
3. Does anything else that was 'broken' about that comic account work yet (excluding the missing images, which won't come back)

Unfortunatly since that's an issue to specific comics I can't check it myself. Please report back if this applies to you. :]

1. Not yet.

2. No.

3. Not as far as I can tell.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.