Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I cried for an entire day when we had to return "Go Dogs, Go!".
That would've been very, very cute :)

zaymac
zaymac
Posted at

In better news, despite somewhat lackluster pageviews, my DD rank's the highest it's ever been today. Normally I wouldn't brag about stuff like that, but I figured an injection of swagger might take the sting off the whole "why can't you return yer books like a normal human being, asshole?" thing.

My page views have been lackluster as well. But I was just contacted by the Comics Buyers Guide magazine the other day, and they are going to do a write up and positive review of my webcomic for the new webcomics section of their magazine.

It's supposedly one of the top magazines about comics, so maybe my comic will hit it big from this national exposure! :)
Or at least a few more page views.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

My page views have been lackluster as well. But I was just contacted by the Comics Buyers Guide magazine the other day, and they are going to do a write up and positive review of my webcomic for the new webcomics section of their magazine.

It's supposedly one of the top magazines about comics, so maybe my comic will hit it big from this national exposure! :)
That's great news, man! COngrats! Be sure to post clippings when it comes out!

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

yeah Zay! huge news man! congrats! im sure it'll get ya a buttload of views!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Blessed release from the doldrums of mine existence!

I beg your forgiveness as reading Elizabethan history doth tend to distort mine prose. God's teeth it doth scew my very soul as I do try to fathom the primary sources.

On the other hand reconnecting with those civilized folks known as model builders; the lone bastion of the internet not inhabited and dominated by people with the mentality of 15 year olds, is very refreshing.

Now if I could find someone with a spare canopy for a 1/72 scale Gloster Gladiator. I was telling myself for the past two years I'd lose it. Did I secure it in the box? Nooooooo. So I lost it. *poof* The great Gildersleeve's closet collapsed because I wanted to dig out that box all the way at the bottom… (Talk about an obscure reference, but then I was watching all my old 1940's shows again. Remember when all the cliches were still brand new?) lol!

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i have my sonic screwdriver. i am now all set. and i burnt off my arm hairs.well most. and the ones that remain, are blonde.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Congrats!!!!!!!

Well, I've only had 4 hours or so sleep right now, but it was worth it. I got up to win an E-bay auction for a hat I've always wanted, and I did! Rather expensive and it's a bit of a pain to spend the cash since I am saving at the moment but for this particular authentic hat, looking the way it does, with that cockade and everything, it's a pretty good price.

I've now got a lovely old bicorn or "cocked hat", or "cock hat" (:))

That was the hat I wanted to get to celebrate doing my tax return… And you never know, maybe I'll get money back on that that'll pay for it. ^_^

…Now to see if I can get another 2 hours sleep before I have to get up. for work :(

Posted at

In better news, despite somewhat lackluster pageviews, my DD rank's the highest it's ever been today. Normally I wouldn't brag about stuff like that, but I figured an injection of swagger might take the sting off the whole "why can't you return yer books like a normal human being, asshole?" thing.

You should tell them that your BEST FRIEND FOREVER, Ryu, could use a few more pageviews. ;D

———————–
Cock hat

Wait.
Um.
Really?
Cock hat?
They couldn't have called it something else?
But, COCK hat?

———————
I love my new avatar.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Gah! It's no use, I can't go back to sleep T_T

hey couldn't have called it something else?
But, COCK hat?
Indeed they did:
bicorn or "cocked hat"
;)

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

in Ozone's case, i think the term might fit! 8D

lba
lba
Posted at

Why are graphic designers so obsessed with trends? Before it was modernist, clean, sparse lines, now it's this stupid "grunge" style. I'm sorry, but I refuse to use trendy stuff in my illustrations. It looks bad, doesn't hold up to time well and just feels like selling out for an easy piece. Yet, every time I do an illustration it's, "would you mind doing a little more of this? maybe put in a few splatter effects?" The answer is, and always will be, "HELL, NO!". Grunge is a music style that occurred in the late 80's and early 90's. It was about being unwashed, unpolished and raw, not pretty, clean, flower vectors. I feel like I want to scream at these people, "I will not put florescent yellow next to florescent purple, I will not make "pretty flowering vectors", I will not use Fleur de Le unless I am drawing pictures of French wallpaper, I will not make you a picture using vector gradients, I will not use "hand drawn" fonts, and most of all, I WILL NOT USE YOUR FUCKING "GRUNGE" STYLE!"

I still want to punch a hipster, but at least I would be doing it for the right reasons.

Now I'm going to go find a way to keep this guy satisfied without using this obnoxious stuff.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Do an image search for cock hat :)

Warning, NSFW

Why are graphic designers so obsessed with trends? Before it was modernist, clean, sparse lines, now it's this stupid "grunge" style.
Thank heavens the people at my work are still behind the times. I'll stick all the flower vectors and bad colours in there that the client wants, but I won't draw them myself… Thank you free stuff on the internet ^___^

Posted at

hey, lba, at least you know enough about design to know that grunge is 'out'… I keep on seeing grungy things and thinking, 'oh wow, how up-and-coming that design is!'

oh, and does anyone have some sort of miserable website that will by power of schadenfreude make me feel better about life? I am super sad and I need something to make it go away. I'm watching a biopic about Edvard Munch (I paused it for dinner) and it's not making the sad go away!!!

Posted at

man… why am I so obsessed with comics?

So I've been clicking through the net, stumbled upon an article about an old magazine/book called "Manga" and the review mentioned Shotaro Ishinomori. The name seemed familiar, so I hit google and read the wiki. Oh yeah, it's that guy that drew…

128000 pages
ONE HUNDRED
TWENTY EIGHT
THOUSAND
PAGES!

…and few years ago there was a 12 boxset edition collecting ALL of his work.
500 volumes, 770 titles collected in these. Quick math, it's about 250 pages per volume.

And I want to see that in a language I can understand and read it. I don't really know the man, I just know he created kamen rider and worked with Tezuka on Astroboy, and that he has this "tezukaish" style of art that was popular up to 70s. Beyond that? I have no idea… and yet I want to read all that he created…. right after I'm done with Tezuka and Go Nagai that is :D
I wish kanji was easier, then I could learn Japanese. But first I need to learn French, to better explore the European comics market…. hell, might as well go for Italian and Spanish too, and then refresh my German, heh.

In other news: pondering making a sketchbook with my b&w art. Probably will redraw couple of older pieces (or re-ink them digitally) and do a bunch of new illustrations.

In other other news: Still broke financially.

In otherer news: had a megahotdog today, was good. :D

In otherest news: this thread is about to his 200 pages, yay. We might even hit 250 before the end of the year.

Posted at

Okay. So barely any of my antisocial friends are going to our brother school's dance because apparently they think they'll have fun/make friends/meet boys by sitting on their asses. So I'm gonna have to turn into an extrovert before Friday so I don't have a terrible time. While wearing my skimpy tennis uniform. This should be interesting.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

30 without stopping, to 35 without breaking the plane, to 50 without lifting hand or foot. that's an improvement in overall, but no improvement in the passable pushups. (the first 35)

heading to bed, cause i have to get up an hour earlier, because i no longer have permission to miss out of work for gym time. politically correct airforce, someone who is athletic can't work on it, cause it makes the non athletic people look bad. (that's not true, but i could totally see a general trying to pass that)
who cares that this is the military and we should be in shape? the funny thing is, i'm in better shape than some army guys. i heard them talking about standards for jump school "man i wish i could run fast enough to get in" "yeah, i know, but those 2 miles 16 minute max kills me". i was like "wtf, you're effing army, your pt test includes a 2 mile run, and by airforce standards, that's achievable for most"

whatever.

i love my wife verymuch.i love my wife verymuch. i love my wife verymuch. i love my wife verymuch.

and it doesn't matter that she's become addicted to Aeion or whatever that wow killer game is.

oh, and did i mention that my Sonic Screwdriver and Physcic paper have come in? cause they totally did.

lba
lba
Posted at

hey, lba, at least you know enough about design to know that grunge is 'out'… I keep on seeing grungy things and thinking, 'oh wow, how up-and-coming that design is!'

oh, and does anyone have some sort of miserable website that will by power of schadenfreude make me feel better about life? I am super sad and I need something to make it go away. I'm watching a biopic about Edvard Munch (I paused it for dinner) and it's not making the sad go away!!!

Sadly, the grunge style is still very much in. It's starting to fall out of favor with the folks who are serious about what they do and making their work truly good, but a large part of the design community still seems to find it acceptable and interesting. I'm just one of those people who hated it from day one and think it looks like crap no matter how you dress it up.

I'm wondering how long before this thread breaks DD. I didn't really think the forum coding would be built to take this long of a thread. It's by far the longest I've ever seen on a forum ever. Probably because it's the only place on the site where people can just talk about inane crap.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm wondering how long before this thread breaks DD. I didn't really think the forum coding would be built to take this long of a thread. It's by far the longest I've ever seen on a forum ever. Probably because it's the only place on the site where people can just talk about inane crap.
It's less than 2/3 the size of the last rant thread :)
———–

Yeah, the grunge style never really appealed to me either to be honest. It's too contrived. It would be fine if it was all a product of actual mess, like a rough screen print or stencil style, but carefully recreated fake mess and squiggles in vectors is just a little stupid.

Reminds me of that fake sharpie stuff they used to put on billboards and shop signs. It was so STUPID!

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

1. That ain't grunge as I recall it.

2. F**k relationships and all their accouterments.

3. On top of what I've been drinking, I don't need red wine. But I bought a bottle. And am going to f**king drink it. On account of the previous statement.

4. F**k relationships. Did I say that already? Oh, I'm sorry, lemme drive that point home. F**k it.

elektro
elektro
Posted at

I still want to punch a hipster, but at least I would be doing it for the right reasons.

If someone could pay me to punch hipsters, I'd never have to work another day in my life. I knew this one guy in college who was the perfect definition of a hipster. He was such a smug, douchey asshole who always thought he was right. I hate his guts.

Anyway, I'm thinking about purchasing a digital SLR camera tomorrow morning as I may possibly be getting a job soon (I have an interview with a photography studio next week), but I'm wondering if it will really be worth the money. I mean, I can afford it easily, but it's a huge investment, and I've already made quite a few. However, photography is a hobby of mine that I want to pick up again, and I'd really like to use something nice if I plan on entering a photography show again, instead of using a crappy little point-and-shoot that's not even mine. Decisions, decisions.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Well waddaya know? lba was right, the other Rant thread was much shorter :)

May as well let it continue I say, there's no harm in it.

Posted at

We should have some sort of Rant, Vent and Share meet where we just sit around and babble at each other for a weekend, to celebrate.

- - - - -

Why do I insist on doing things I don't like? Not even in an annoying ironic why, like it's so bad it's good or something.

I read comics that I think are boring, books filled with purple prose, watch mindless action movies and I keep getting the urge to play Force Unleashed and Fable II even though I consider both to share the top spot of worst games ever made. And yet I'm surrounded by decent time wasters that I've barely given a second, or first, for that matter, glance at.

Am I a closet masochist? Is that it?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I can't do even one pushup that'd be passable by the army standards. or a pull up (if that's what it is called). Or do a bridge. Never could and never will.
It's not that hard though. The barrier is more mental than physical. It really is.
We should have some sort of Rant, Vent and Share meet where we just sit around and babble at each other for a weekend, to celebrate.
We would talk about nothing but ourselves…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.