Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The silliest things you remember believing as a kid...

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

- Santa Claus (I absolutely believed he was real) and the tooth fairy (I was 50-50) is real. I stopped believing in it after I lost a tooth and didn't tell anyone. And after I caught dad red-handed on being "santa claus".

Ah yes, those are sad times when you find out about those ones…I stopped believing in the tooth fairy when she forgot about my tooth one time. Not surprisingly, that led me to believe that Santa Claus also probably wasn't real. When I told my dad I thought Santa didn't exist, he said "We-ell, would you be upset if I told you something like that?"
I was only in third grade at the time, so I remember telling my friends that he wasn't real…they laughed and made fun of me. But I showed them, didn't I?

Posted at

I believed that babies come from space.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

- Santa Claus (I absolutely believed he was real) and the tooth fairy (I was 50-50) is real. I stopped believing in it after I lost a tooth and didn't tell anyone. And after I caught dad red-handed on being "santa claus".

Ah yes, those are sad times when you find out about those ones…I stopped believing in the tooth fairy when she forgot about my tooth one time. Not surprisingly, that led me to believe that Santa Claus also probably wasn't real. When I told my dad I thought Santa didn't exist, he said "We-ell, would you be upset if I told you something like that?"
I was only in third grade at the time, so I remember telling my friends that he wasn't real…they laughed and made fun of me. But I showed them, didn't I?
For me, well, I guess it was gradual.

I stopped believing in the tooth fairy when I found baby teeth in my dad's desk drawer. (Not entirely true. I actually spent a brief period believing my dad was THE tooth fairy or employed by a tooth fairy company…)

As for Santa, I had my own belief system about him. Our house had no chimney. People used to say crazy things about Santa using duct systems or being "magical" and making a chimney appear or something. I never bought the more fanciful "magic" stories. I just figured my parents stayed up and let him in. Then for a while, I believed that one of my parents was responsible for carrying on the Santa myth and pretended to be Santa while the other was in the dark about it. I even left a note to get Santa's autograph to figure out which parent it was. I used to stay up to try and see him, but my vigil was always unsuccessful. The day I truly found out was the first Christmas I started staying up extra late (and I always woke up too early, earlier than everyone else), so my parents went to sleep before I did. When I woke up, there were no presents under the tree. Then, my dad got up, and I helped my parents lay out the presents (and promised not to tell my little brother).

My parents told me that Saint Nicholas was a real man and his whole story, and that Santa was his spirit carried on by parents around the world. Then I learned "Santa" stories from other cultures, and I quite enjoyed them (including one where he resurrected children who were brutally murdered o.0 ). We still carry on our Santa traditions. – Although our Santa is diabetic now and requires sugar-free cookies.

EDIT

One more weird belief. I heard the words "oral sex" on TV when I was in grade school (it was an ad for a sitcom episode – many years before the "Clinton" thing), and I thought they meant kissing. I also wondered why it was such a big deal. Kissing wasn't bad. (I remember being told what french kissing was when I was in third grade and I was completely disgusted.)

DMH
DMH
Posted at

For me, well, I guess it was gradual.

I stopped believing in the tooth fairy when I found baby teeth in my dad's desk drawer. (Not entirely true. I actually spent a brief period believing my dad was THE tooth fairy or employed by a tooth fairy company…)

As for Santa, I had my own belief system about him. Our house had no chimney. People used to say crazy things about Santa using duct systems or being "magical" and making a chimney appear or something. I never bought the more fanciful "magic" stories. I just figured my parents stayed up and let him in. Then for a while, I believed that one of my parents was responsible for carrying on the Santa myth and pretended to be Santa while the other was in the dark about it. I even left a note to get Santa's autograph to figure out which parent it was. I used to stay up to try and see him, but my vigil was always unsuccessful. The day I truly found out was the first Christmas I started staying up extra late (and I always woke up too early, earlier than everyone else), so my parents went to sleep before I did. When I woke up, there were no presents under the tree. Then, my dad got up, and I helped my parents lay out the presents (and promised not to tell my little brother).

My parents told me that Saint Nicholas was a real man and his whole story, and that Santa was his spirit carried on by parents around the world. Then I learned "Santa" stories from other cultures, and I quite enjoyed them (including one where he resurrected children who were brutally murdered o.0 ). We still carry on our Santa traditions. – Although our Santa is diabetic now and requires sugar-free cookies.

I actually learnt the truth about Santa because my parents kept leaving the price tags on the presents. Not always, there'd always be just one or two pressies with a Big W or K Mart sticker on them and I'd get suspicious. And then I got sneay and started searching for presents.

Managed to keep my parents fooled into thinking I thought Santa was real until I was 10 though. Then they gave me the talk and we stopped it.

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

when i was about six i believed that when you flushed the toilet it went through pipes and emptied into a big hole out in the desert and it was someone's job to watch to see if anything weird came out. so i flushed a sock down the toilet and insisted on watching the the 6 o'clock news to see the report of the sock coming out of the pipe in the middle of the desert.

i used to sneak downstairs after everyone was sleeping and watch HBO and showtime movies. This one movie i was watch had a woman trying to distract a bunch of people in a mall or something while her friends were stealing a bunch of money. she was stripping and when she finally took off her top i thought "no woman would show her boobies on TV. it must be special effects like monster makeup."

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

My dad told me when I was five/six that if I ate Smarties I'd float like a helium balloon. So I was terrified of eating Smarties outside in case I floated in the path of an aeroplane, or worse UP TO SPACE!

When I was about seven I had a biology book that had stickers in it. And you were to stick in the missing organs on the diagrams.
One diagram had a drawing of a mans testacles. And the one that showed having a bladder was a woman. So I thought that only women had bladders and that men held their pee in their testacles.

Posted at

The whole childhood wonder of Christmas, especially with the Santa bit, pretty much slipped by me.

it's like when my family first took me to see Santa at the mall when I was like 4-5 years old, it's like at the time I was wondering why they took me to see some random guy who was obviously wearing a fake beard. I pretended to be happy to see him though, just to please my parents.

I didn't even ask the guy for presents… as seeing I knew it was from relatives and my parents… considering that relatives would actually come over with their own presents, and hand it directly right to me. So I just sat on his lap quietly while my parents took pictures of us.

and the other reason why I just knew that Santa was fake, was because my parents would actually have their friends dress up as Santa for me and my brother… and well, even under a beard I can easily recognize their faces. considering that I saw them often.
My parents seriously thought that I believed in him though, just because of how I'd laugh and smile at thier friends dressing up like Santa Claus. Little did they know that I was actually laughing because of how ridiculous their friends looked dressed as Santa, and how ridiculous my parents acted when they went: "omg!! look, kids, it's SANTA!!"

I learned about Saint Nicholas in School though… about how he actually or supposedly existed at one point in history as this simple toymaker who wanted to spread cheer during the winter holidays. Then I was like "oh, so that's why people carry on this Santa tradition."

It's funny how I was so jaded towards santa from day one and still believed that everything on TV was real, huh? lol

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

when i was about six i believed that when you flushed the toilet it went through pipes and emptied into a big hole out in the desert and it was someone's job to watch to see if anything weird came out. so i flushed a sock down the toilet and insisted on watching the the 6 o'clock news to see the report of the sock coming out of the pipe in the middle of the desert.
When I was an art student, a friend of mine told me about a job he used to have at a sewerage plant. Sometimes they'd have to get in the tanks and clear the outlet pipes. he said some pretty weird stuff came out on occasion.

Hey, I remember one silly thing I used to think:
I'd heard and read that the speed of light was the fastest thing that there was… But I didn't believe that because I could detect a tiny delay when I switched a light on or off. I could also see the light fading as I turned the light off. And finally, when I waved my hand or a stick extremely fast I could see blurred images at all different parts of that motion at the same time.
Heh, so I though that light wasn't so fast afterall. duhhhh…

I also thought that you could make the strongest metal in the world just by finding out all the elements with the best properties of things and making them into a super-alloy: Titanium for strength, boron for tensile strength, lithium for lightness, gold for corrosion resistance… etc.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

For me, the toilet was a huge source of fear. So much that for most of my childhood I resisted using the thing. I thought that the toilet would suck me down into that big lake of fire everyone talks about when they discuss the afterlife….

robzidious
robzidious
Posted at

When I was like 6 I recall sneaking under my parent's bed (no I'm not going there, folks so don't even think about it lol) around Easter time. I don't recall why I was under the bed but I was. Anyway, my mom was telling my dad that she had bought me an Easter basket for Easter. My world was devastated. There was no Easter bunny? Then I thought about how stupid it was to think there was this magical bunny hopping around delivering Easter baskets to kids all over the world. Thanks for the memories, mom!

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

When I was like 6 I recall sneaking under my parent's bed (no I'm not going there, folks so don't even think about it lol) around Easter time. I don't recall why I was under the bed but I was. Anyway, my mom was telling my dad that she had bought me an Easter basket for Easter. My world was devastated. There was no Easter bunny? Then I thought about how stupid it was to think there was this magical bunny hopping around delivering Easter baskets to kids all over the world. Thanks for the memories, mom!
The Easter Bunny came to my kindergarten class. One of my classmates said they saw him changing in the restroom, and the bunny was my dad!

Imagine how elated I was to learn that my dad was the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy! (Yes, I believed my father was a magical holiday entity. I thought it was a secret identity like a spy. So I never told anyone.)

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Something I just remembered…

Near my house, hidden quite a bit in the jungle was a bunch of tires from construction equipment. I was very VERY scared to go near the place because I thought it was a giant snake just waiting to eat me… (I'm very afraid of snakes, but not afraid enough now; I tend to smash them with something when I see them)

I also thought that rats loved to chew on my ears as a child. I had my pillow around my head to keep that from happening…

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

The whole childhood wonder of Christmas, especially with the Santa bit, pretty much slipped by me.

it's like when my family first took me to see Santa at the mall when I was like 4-5 years old, it's like at the time I was wondering why they took me to see some random guy who was obviously wearing a fake beard. I pretended to be happy to see him though, just to please my parents.

I believed in Santa, but I never knew that you were supposed to think those guys in the mall were actually Santa. I mean, it was obviously a fake beard, and there was one in every mall and everything…so I never wanted to go see them. It creeped me out to sit on a random guy's lap.

Posted at

As a child I figured that anytime a television actor was called upon to speak a line or two of a foreign language that the actor simply spouted nonsense syllables on the spot.

My reasoning was that nobody would ever know the difference or that those who did would be a statistically tiny portion of the population and so why spend the time making an actor or actress memorize a few lines of a foreign language or spend the money hiring someone that actually spoke it?

robzidious
robzidious
Posted at

As a child I figured that anytime a television actor was called upon to speak a line or two of a foreign language that the actor simply spouted nonsense syllables on the spot.

My reasoning was that nobody would ever know the difference or that those who did would be a statistically tiny portion of the population and so why spend the time making an actor or actress memorize a few lines of a foreign language or spend the money hiring someone that actually spoke it?

Wait…they really DO speak the foreign language?!

;-)

Posted at

I used to believe in the normal childhood rubbish like Santa, Easter bunny, tooth fairy and Jesus. But they were all a load of crap. Oh and I used to believe that my parents closet was a portal to hell and that if I looked inside a demon would grab me and take me to hell where I would be tortured for all eternity. I also thought my creepy neighbor was a serial killer but he was just a 40 year old loser, and lived with his mom.

humorman
humorman
Posted at

When I was a lad, my teacher told me the pyramids were made from sugar cubes. Now, I believed them at first, but then I thought, "If they were made from sugar cubes, wouldn't they have been white?" It was then I decided that I should build a pyramid out of sugar cubes to test out this theory. One by one, I stacked the cubes. Eventually, I created a decent sized pyramid that was architecturally outstanding. I then decided to place this pyramid on a terribly high pedestal to display its amazing splendor. This pedestal was also to be made out of sugar cubes. Once construction was complete I placed the entire structure on the smallest hill of my neighborhood park. Here is a picture:

So remember, don't not believe everything anyone says to you because it just might turn out to be true, just like the thing I made up just now!

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I also used to believe that all girls carried a virus known as a "Cootie", and once a boy was infected he would slowly turn into a girl!!! Thank goodness that turned out to be completely false.

Now where'd I put that lipstick…?

Scheiden
Scheiden
Posted at

I used to avoid mirrors when changing clothes when I was a kid. You know those mirrors used in crime dramas and police interrogations? Yeah like that one. So yes, I thought the mirrors in my house and room is like that so I move to the corner of the room that isn't reflected on the mirror. This continued till I was 6. =_='''

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Watching the Thriller music video and believing my oldest brother (who's 11 years older than me) when he said that Michael Jackson was really a zombie, and that he would someday come out of the closet to get me.

That fear was actually kinda accurate.

Posted at

Watching the Thriller music video and believing my oldest brother (who's 11 years older than me) when he said that Michael Jackson was really a zombie, and that he would someday come out of the closet to get me.

That fear was actually kinda accurate.

You know, if MJ was really an zombie, then it would certainly explain so much. The deathly pale skin and the nose falling off… it wasn't because of excessive surgery! =o

Katch
Katch
Posted at

That the aliens from ALIEN actually lived in my closet o__e

mom, can i have a nightlight? make that a hundred kaythanx~

Posted at

I believed that Clowns were evil.

And now that I'm grown, I take comfort in knowing I was right.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.