Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The silliest things you remember believing as a kid...

Nersop
Nersop
Posted at

When I was 5 years old I used to believe that demon desklamps lived under my carpeting and they all came out to play during the night while I was asleep. They would wander the streets and use their light as a tractor beam to draw in innocent bystanders on the street before consuming them whole.

I also used to believe that 3-prong outlets were satanic and if you didn't leave something plugged into them, they would creep across the wall and turn you into electrical energy and devour you without leaving a single trace of your existence.

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

Watching the Thriller music video and believing my oldest brother (who's 11 years older than me) when he said that Michael Jackson was really a zombie, and that he would someday come out of the closet to get me.

That fear was actually kinda accurate.
I used to fear Sir Ian McKellen comeing out of the closet and grabbing me, and like yours, kinda accurate.

KiwaraSan
KiwaraSan
Posted at

I always thought deserts were on another planet… ô____o

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I always thought deserts were on another planet… ô____o
Of course! —> Dune ^_^

Glarg
Glarg
Posted at

Mmm, the precious spice.

I always used to believe the internet was an entire world on it's own, there were living beings inside who did every action for everyone.

…then again I watched Tron far too many time, and digimon episodes too.

aegnation
aegnation
Posted at

haha, the one thing that I def. remember believing is just too funny.

My mom let me believe that Teenage Mutated Ninja Turtles existed. When I would come across a covered manhole, I'd shout down "Hi, ninja turtles!" …

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I believed that Clowns were evil.

And now that I'm grown, I take comfort in knowing I was right.

Looks like I'm not the only one who found out just how evil clowns really are. I mean… there's one who was a serial killer named John Wayne Gacy! Thank goodness he's six feet under now…

oh, no… there can't be more out there…. right???

Red Slayer
Red Slayer
Posted at

Looks like I'm not the only one who found out just how evil clowns really are. I mean… there's one who was a serial killer named John Wayne Gacy! Thank goodness he's six feet under now…

Nah, the other ones are kidnappers and child rapists.
Nothing to be worried about.

pastel
pastel
Posted at

I grew up with eating feta cheese so I was never exposed to all those other fancy stuff.

When I saw pictures of them…

I couldn't really comprehend how the outer layer could be like that, so I assumed it grew that way. Like on a tree or something. And so in my mind, there were two types of cheeses: ones that people made from milk, and another that grew on trees.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Nah, the other ones are kidnappers and child rapists.
Nothing to be worried about.

I also dislike clowns…last year at my dad's work Christmas party they brought in a clown who introduced himself as "Stabby the Clown." I swear that's what I heard. I later found out that his name was Slappy or Snappy or some such thing, but I was pretty freaked out for a while.

dorkydeetz
dorkydeetz
Posted at

My older sister told me that if your belly button was pressed, you would become pregnant.
Of course when i was little i had a BIG fear of pregnancy and i cried for a weak when i accidentally touched my bellly button.
everyone kept telling me it wasn't true, but i wouldn't beleive them XD

Nicotine
Nicotine
Posted at

Santa.

The Tooth Fairy.

Easter Bunny.

D:

Well, that would be my short response, but actually there was one more. My dad made up this imaginary animal, and I used to think that it was real (even though I obviously never saw it, because my dad would say that if I looked at him he'd disappear forever XD). So I used to think this animal was riding in the car with us and everything. Childhood is so innocent.

Signz
Signz
Posted at

i believed that life was like the truman show.

uh i thought i was destined for greatness. well i still think i am. >_>

I also thought that you could make the strongest metal in the world just by finding out all the elements with the best properties of things and making them into a super-alloy: Titanium for strength, boron for tensile strength, lithium for lightness, gold for corrosion resistance… etc.

wait… so that won't work?

well i failed science…. D:

Posted at

Santa. And I believed in it for a LONG time. I was 11 when I finally stopped completely believing in santa.

Boogyman of seven o'clocks. My mother always use this to make me return to my house when I was playing outside at night. But I stopped believing in it at 6 years old.

Tooth fairy. I stopped believing in it at 6 when my mother forget to switch my tooth for money three time in a row (nights in a row).

Now on for the silly parts!

When I was little I would never want to get out of the bathtub once I'm in it, so my mother told me that if she pulled the plug, the water would sank in the hole and I would go along with the water. She terrifized me because I through I would do down the drain. I discovered the truth pretty quickly (Only one week).

My mother manged to make me believe that she was 25 years old for NINE years, since my birth to my nine years old, that she is 25 years old every year. XD
On my 9th year of existance, I kept nagging my mother because Everyone else is aging expect my mother. She gave me her birth date and I did the math. XD I discovered her true age- in the 30's.

My mother made me believe that she has stored away an big tank of exotic fish in the garage for my birthday three years in an row (I was 6-9 years old).

XD I'm guillable, huh?

Posted at

"Cootie"

I always found this Cootie myth to be so fascinating. Where I'm from, we don't have that thing. Girls and boys play together and there's no fear of strange infections. Where did that believe come from anyways?

When it rained, I believed that god was mopping the clouds. It wasn't something I was told. I just came to that logical conclusion. I figured if a giant man lived up in the sky, he'd want to keep his place clean from time to time.

I was also very surprised, the first time I was on a plane and we flew above the clouds, because I saw no angels.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I was also very surprised, the first time I was on a plane and we flew above the clouds, because I saw no angels.

Haha! Me too! It's strange, because I wasn't brought up to believe in angels or any of that, but I just kind of expected to see them chilling on the clouds up there. I looked really, really hard, trying to see if I was just missing them somehow.

Koshou
Koshou
Posted at

I used to think there was a tiger hiding under my bed, and if I walked to close to the bed it would grab me and pull me under. So when it was time to go to sleep I would perform a spectacular running jump from the hallway to the top of my bed. ahaha…

Posted at

I used to think that everybody saw themselves in 3rd person, and I was the only one that could see through 1st person.

And that cartoons were people in a funny suit that went into a funny looking room.
But, considering current motion capture technology, it wasn't a bad prediction.

Oh, and that there was a monster outside my bathroom every night. But he was afraid of the toilet flush, so I had to make it back to my room before the toilet stopped flushing.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I used to think that everybody saw themselves in 3rd person, and I was the only one that could see through 1st person.

Heh… I used to think that too.

And I also used to think that the secret kingdom in Mister Roger's Neighborhood was real too. O_O

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.