Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
reconjsh
reconjsh
Posted at

I know this isn't a zombie debate thread… but since more than one person has mentioned it, I'll ask.

Why a nail gun?

Do you mean like a video game nail gun? Or a construction tool nail gun? Because the latter seems like it'd be ineffective. Most are air powered, others are battery… both have limititions due to energy source availablility. They're not made for firing nails as projectiles, so they're not balanced like a hand gun is for full arm extension. Also, it doesn't seem like a nail would have that significant of an impact, even with a percect head shot.

I guess I'm just curious why you guys chose that.

Thanks,
~Jerome~

Posted at

I listed all my reasons in an earlier post. A nail gun doesn't have the range as a handgun, agreed, but a handgun is going to be for use with medium range zombies anyway. You don't have good enough accuracy for distance shots, it would be a waste of ammo. So if you acclimate yourself to the idea of a medium distance weapon, I think a nailgun (against zombies) would be superior, if for no other reason than the readiness of ammunition. A head shot is a head shot whether with a nail or a bullet. You're going to have a grace period where you're not used to the weight or firing of the nailgun, but you're going to have that with a handgun too if you're not familiar with it.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

Assuming we're talking about the generic slow-moving hoarde of the undead, I should give you a few facts.

-A zombie's life span is around 3-6 years, before the brain decays from the worms.

-Fire never works. It can't hurt zombies and it would just make a beacon shouting "Hey! You guys! Some meat is over here!" Just because it burns us doesn't mean the brain will fry.

-No Leeroy Jenkins'ing out there. It's a waste of ammo, time and will give the zombie army another recruit in the ranks.

-Shopping malls, police stations. HELL NO MOFO. It will be impossible to survive there with all the other citizens running about with their own morals. The worse thing is to be trapped in a building of zombified fellows. Avoid if possible.

-Elevation is an obvious thing to do, but ONLY if you know what to do about supplies. I recommend bunk at a friend's house on a steep hill. Unless that place is writhing with the undead.

-Zombies may be stupid, but they have heightened smells, sight and hearing.

-Don't try and act like a zombie. It never works (except in SotD, but that's just a movie).

-With transport, the best bet is the bicycle. No need for fuelling, has no problems in traffic, and you could use it as a weapons if you want.

-When choosing a weapons, factor in, avaliabilty, durability, ammo, skill required and damage. A mix of long ranged and short ranged weapons are suited for whatever comes.

-Armour? Short and tight. We need a fast getwaway from them, not a huge plate of armour that slows you down. Same applies to hair.

-A risky chance, but it is thought to be possible to elude the hoarde with mirrors.

-Go to the countryside. Animals aplenty, trees for cover and height, and few people would be there in the first place to be zombified.

And now you know.

Posted at

-Don't try and act like a zombie. It never works (except in SotD, but that's just a movie).

You do as the majority of the movies before you!

Posted at

And instead of having a slow horde you will end with a burning legion.
that would be a really cool picture to draw. Imagine Bruce Cambell standing on a cliff, torch in hand, overlooking a sea of zombies on fire! S-mart brand cans of gasoline would be scattered all over the ground. A storm brewing in the background. And the wind would be blowing just enough to give Cambell's hair some great lift and make the fire look more dynamic.

Posted at

maaaan i wish bruce cambell had more good movies in hollywierd. he's a funny actor and had became typecasted =(. now that he's getting older he can't do too much crazy stuff anymore.

first time i saw him was not in an evil dead movie, but as brisco county jr.

emjee
emjee
Posted at

Ok, my weapons would be:

1. one of those long crowbar things - They are durable, metal, not really that heavy and can double as a tool.

2. A sludge Hammer - tool/short range weapon incase a zombie gets too close

3. Alcohol and dirty rags too light on fire - Maybe I need to clear out a building/street/room

4. Tazer - Because it would be funny :D

If I were to be hled up somewhere, it would be in Walmart in a very small group. Why Walmart? Because not only do they have low prices, they hold tools, bathrooms, clothes, food, water, medicine and a camping isle. It's also a really big place, which is a draw back, but there aren't many exits or windows.

Walmart also tends to be around outdoor malls or plazas, so if we run out of certain provisions, we could raid the surrounding stores. That's even if we can go outside. Depending on the amount of zombies. Will it be like Dawn of the Dead? 28 Days later? Or night of the Living dead?

Cuz, depending on the zombies, we are either screwed and should kill our selves, or we could wait it out.

emjee
emjee
Posted at

3. Alcohol and dirty rags too light on fire - Maybe I need to clear out a building/street/room

This would be for light. Or if these aren't generic undead, to scare them off.

Posted at

And instead of having a slow horde you will end with a burning legion.

lol!

OK, in response to Aqua's post, I feel I should point out what my own research as led me to conclude:

The Hive Theory: Zombies will never turn on eachother, as they are incapable of individual thought. Just because they're dumb doesn't mean they act like animals and eat eachother when they need food. Many Zombologists argue the reason for this, but my own research has led me to believe that they have a hive mind, which means that there must be some kind of zombie queen or overlord or something out there.

The Parasite Hypothesis: It should be noted that undeath is not the only mutation cause by zombie-ism. Studies of Zombie bodies have shown zombologists that zombies develop sharpened canines with venom glands when they turn. This venom seems to be what passes the disease to others, leading zombologists to theorize that zombie-ism may be caused by a parasite. Since zombies may be dispatched buy destroying the brain, it is believed that the parasites make their home there, and that this is where new parasites are born. However, lack of in-tact zombie brains makes this difficult to test. So it may or may not be true.

The Head Law: It is a common misconception that decapitation can kill a zombie. This, however, is false. Decapitation will merely render the body motionless. The head will remain a threat until the brain is destroyed. Severing the spinal chord has been shown to immobilize zombies, but keep in mind that they are still alive, and you shouldn't get too close. Also, the Hive Theory shows that even when paralyzed, the other zombies will know where you are. We reccomend ripping out the eyes of paralyzed zombies, if for some reason you can't just kill it.

The Animal Theory: Though animals are rarely infected, it is not unheard of. Some Zombologists believe that different strains of infection may exist, some of which infect animals.

I hope that these help. We here at the Institute of Zombological Studies (IZS) strive to help rid the world of these moaning menances.

emjee
emjee
Posted at

…oh yeah, housewares does have some nice zombie-trouncing aresenal at hand. (machetes, chainsaws,hedgclippers, terracotta lawn animals…
These are good to use for if they get too close. Like you said, picking them off from far away would be better. Also, some of these are messy. Someone mentioned the heightened senses, so the blood from the Zombies could either attract them to you, or make you blend in.

Posted at

I listed all my reasons in an earlier post. A nail gun doesn't have the range as a handgun, agreed, but a handgun is going to be for use with medium range zombies anyway. You don't have good enough accuracy for distance shots, it would be a waste of ammo. So if you acclimate yourself to the idea of a medium distance weapon, I think a nailgun (against zombies) would be superior, if for no other reason than the readiness of ammunition. A head shot is a head shot whether with a nail or a bullet. You're going to have a grace period where you're not used to the weight or firing of the nailgun, but you're going to have that with a handgun too if you're not familiar with it.

I dunno man, the nail guns I've used didn't really impress me as zombie killin' things. Plus you get nail jams and stuff.

Besides, if you fire a nail gun at a zombie you just get a zombie with a nail in its head. Nails are pretty clean wounds and I don't think they'd destroy the brain so much, just maybe poke a couple holes in it, I can't imagine a zombie being too affected by it. The advantage of the bullet is that it usually makes a big hole in the head and things go explodey.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Ah yesh, the nail-gun bit was just a thought of "what can I readily use in a hardware store?" (or as it was, the hardware section of the store I'm in) and having observed the way people take out zombies in movies, it doesn't seem that you need to blow off a zombie's head to kill it, just cause enough concussion or some sort of damage. Of course I gather this from having observed zombies being killed by screwdrivers through the ear (courtesty of Dawn of the Dead) to getting an ashtray to the forehead (SoTD).
If you had to destroy the brain completely, it would rule out the "smashy with blunt object" alternatives altogether. For the most part it seems "hit & go", whereas you'd have to hit them several times to take down a single one (not good in a crowd of 'em)
As mentioned, the readiness of ammo was a strong point there, even if it's weak ammo.
I honestly couldn't tell you where to find a real gun store in my area anyway. Instead of practical zombie-eliminating weapons (like a bazooka or a bulldozer) the nailgun just kinda popped in there. (plus I could yell "Ha! Nailed 'em!")
It really depends on where I am at the time of this zombie takeover. Heck, bowling balls would seem to be good in close combat even. Barbells, computer moniters, a backpack full of rocks…seems that anything is affective if used right. If I'm on the low ground, darn right I'd pick up something that'll be useful away from the plug.
Plus, I don't think I can get them to cooperate for my elaborate Rube Goldberg zombie killing machine I set up…

Zad
Zad
Posted at

Ehehe..i thought this would be a kewl thread at first, but 4 pages, a dark room,and my fear of the dark later, I AM SOO CREEPED OUT!!!!! :)
Lessee…what should i use?
1.Uhh…. >.<
2. (Wasted option 1) Hey……I could ask Mannick for a zombie hat and try to pull a SOTD on dem suckers!
3. I'd flip the switch of my Ps2, which would instantly kill/delete all the zombis…
4. I would use a super-awesome mystery weapon that i haven't thought of…I could edit later…it is so late >.< hey, i could give the zombeis some drunk duck comics, and they won't bother me!!!! u guys r awesomesnessocity lol!

did my lol emote work? emotes r evil! like zombis! like chibis! >.<

Edit:
Does it automatically say edit? Do i need to type it??
Anyways, OMG FIRST POST YAY!
**huggling of the Zeno doll**
And yes, I love Zeno :3

Beaums
Beaums
Posted at

Hm, let's see…

Aluminum baseball bat - light, yet strong. I'd have said a regular bat but I don't think they're as durable. Good for hittin'! Also you could use it as a walking stick! (And for playing baseball if you can find enough other living people and an empty field without zombies, and a baseball.)

That shovel-weapon from World War Z - fictional, and I can't remember what it was called, but it was effective in the book, plus you could dig stuff with it. T_T All those close-range stuff is for emergencies, not a first choice, that would be guns.

A handgun and a rifle - I dunno much about guns but I figure you'd want a gun too so you don't have to get up close and kill them. I listed both kinds because… I don't know which is better for stuff. Though a rifle would make 3 big weapons so maybe just.. 2 handguns or something.

I wonder if nerve gas would hurt zombies. I mean, their brains are important, and damaging them physically kills them.

I'm going to have to agree with skoolmunkee on this one. Nothing beats bashing a zombie's head into a bloody pulp with a baseball bat. NOTHING! But really, anything that creates a bloody splatter effect is formidable for fighting off a zombie horde. Oh! And and and, what about a wooden cricket bat guys?! Shawn of the Dead anybody? I'd go completely old school if a swarm of zombies came my way. I'd probably have a better chance of survival with arsenal of guns, but fightin' up close n' personal with the zombies would be a mind warping experience. Straight up.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

Now, we shall do a quick run through of the zombie outbreaks classes.

Class 1: Rural outbreak, just a small village/town.

Class 2: Large city, e.g. London.

Class 3: National scale, like Germany.

Class 4: OH NOES!

I recommend reading this. Very useful.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Bugger personal weapons! I'm with Phantom Penguin and Inkmonkey! A fricken Tank. Although I might try one of those funky new Russian Black Eagle tanks…

My other choice of weapon is a WW2 Queen Elizabeth class Battleship. Heh. They couldn't TOUCH me. I'd have a lovely looking weapon (with a whole crew too of course), sit back off the coast and pound them into dogfood with the big guns.

Thirdly I'd use a Mil-Mi Hind E fitted out with rotary machine-gun pods on the stub wings, and extra fuel containers inside the cabin. Seeing as the guns are all forward firing and undirected I don't even need a gunner!
With the maximum guns that's four pods, each with one 12.7mm (50cal) four barrel rotary gun and two 7.62 mm four barrel rotary guns, making a total of 12 very deadly machine guns, plus the twin barrelled 23mm cannon on the side of the cockpit… Pretty formidable.

But for guns to carry to fight off a horde of stupid zombies, I'll take my lesson from the excellent Boxhead Zombie game: a high capacity fast-firing shotgun is the way to go! Preferably belt fed. Ha! That's right, gimme a shotgun machinegun that loads from a belt. I could carry a pack for it on my back.
Groovy.

Zad
Zad
Posted at

I am to lazy to read the guide, so i'll just take my chances with my theory.
Did anyone notice that the main chracter of the movies and his/her love always make it out???? I'm just gonna hit on some movie star and hope it works >.<

Red Slayer
Red Slayer
Posted at

stuff
I'd rather be near a gun store just in case.
"Nails and bats may wound and break, but guns where made for killing."-Me, just now.

I may change the Glock for a 22, light, small and easier to carry ammo, they don't make much noise and almost anyone can use one.

Good choice for the zed killer on the go.

Priceman
Priceman
Posted at

Slow moving, Max Brooks-ian Zombies. The classic zombie if you will.

-W

Hehe, oh yea.

Katana blade ~ Light weight, easy to use. Easy to transport and keep sharp. Prime melee weapon. If you don't belive me, check out this comic www.livingwithzombies.com

Baseball Bat (aluminum) ~ When you need blunt, is there any better choice? Backup melee weapon.

Shotgun ~ This….is…my….BOOMSTICK! aside from a crossbow, zombie killing isn't complete without a shotty! High destructive power, can take out multiple zombies, and ammo is readily available. Just like on Resident Evil.

.45 ~ Simple, small, gets the job done. If you can't find ammo with this bad boy, then a zombie must've eaten your eyes.

WingNut
WingNut
Posted at

You know, judging from all of these posts, and the voracity in which you all defend your zombie slaughtering weapons of choice, I must say…

When the Zombie apocolypse comes, Webcomicer's will be the ones to survive. ;D

-W

Posted at

oh noes! generic human was actually a zombie and is gonna infect everyone on DD!

WingNut
WingNut
Posted at

AAAGGHHH!! Kill it! Kill it!

(bitchin photomanip Sub, thats AWESOME!)

-W

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.